Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice
I have a 34 year old project boat (1981 Chris Craft Commander 332, for anyone interested) that I've been playing with for the last 5 years. Typically my upgrades have been mechanical or electrical in nature, but my seats have deteriorated and I'm not sure how to approach the issue. Due to some height/width restrictions, commercially available seats aren't going to cut it. Here's a picture of what the seats used to look like (identical on both sides):

I took a stab at creating my own seats using plans I found for outdoor furniture, but the result left much to be desired (comfort, aesthetics):

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar project, or if anyone has any ideas for how to approach this. Right now my best candidate is something that looks like this (not even sure how to do this):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
What most people would do is build the bottom box out of marine plywood and fiberglass, then put gelcoat over the fiberglass.

Seat tops would be vinyl upholstery over marine plywood as well.

There are some newer options as well, you could manufacture the seat out of King Starboard, but that gets expensive quick.

You could also build a plug or mold, and lay down fiberglass over/inside that. You end up removing the plug/mold and the fiberglass is the entire structure.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What most people would do is build the bottom box out of marine plywood and fiberglass, then put gelcoat over the fiberglass.

Seat tops would be vinyl upholstery over marine plywood as well.

There are some newer options as well, you could manufacture the seat out of King Starboard, but that gets expensive quick.

You could also build a plug or mold, and lay down fiberglass over/inside that. You end up removing the plug/mold and the fiberglass is the entire structure.

Ok so - make a box out of marine plywood, give it a few (more?) layers of fiberglass, then gelcoat. That will essentially give it that same look/feel as the original base?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, pretty much.

Here's a decent video of laying fiberglass over plywood construction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzkWeuC0yPs

Basically, build yourself the box using fairly normal woodworking techniques, then lay down the fiberglass over the wood.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Here's a decent video of laying fiberglass over plywood construction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzkWeuC0yPs

Basically, build yourself the box using fairly normal woodworking techniques, then lay down the fiberglass over the wood.

Not too bad, I think I'll give this a whirl. Thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wouldn't rebuild the seats unless really needed, just buy new cushions with custom printed vinyl covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

lushka16 posted:

Ok so - make a box out of marine plywood, give it a few (more?) layers of fiberglass, then gelcoat. That will essentially give it that same look/feel as the original base?

Gelcoat isn't the easiest thing to work with. Gelcoat is king of durability but high quality marine deck paint holds up well and isn't as tricky to apply.

• Locked thread