Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I liked castlevania 64, except for the part where you had to pick up the nitro to blow the wall up and couldn't jump or take damage in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

the PS2 castlevanias are p. underrated

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah that's true. The biggest problem with the subweapons in PoR is that you have grind to master them. I pretty much only used the ones that were already mastered like Offensive Form.

Sub weapons could be really good if you were willing to grind for them. However Charlotte's magic was even more OP and it was OP right out of the box. Charlotte just kinda shits all over Jonathan.

Dec 26, 2012

blakyoshi posted:

The cross in HoD is crippled by requiring you to not have the Fist equipped at all times.

in general they were a bit less one-sided in hod, in cotm theres really not much that compares. axe maybe

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

qnqnx posted:

the PS2 castlevanias are p. underrated

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lament of innocence was alright but curse of darkness loving owned and if I didn't lose my disc i'd be playing it to this day

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The newest Castlevania is pretty good. A dude just asked me What Is A Man at the beginning of the fight and then turned into a huge bipedal demon monster thing halfway thru. My whip was proving effective at least up until then but I died at that point; I hosed up the timing on my gun blast. Luckily the way from the bonfire-lamp-thing isn't too difficult of a path.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm on a castlevania binge to check out the roots of the series.

I played through all the NES games, some of all of the GB games and some SCIV.

Castlevania I: Badass
Castlevania II Simon's Quest: Badass
Castlevania III Dracula's Curse: Badass
Castlevania the Adventure: Bad
Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge: Better but still pretty Bad
Castlevania Legends: 6 years after Belmont's Revenge and this is what we get? wtf this came out after SotN.
Super Castlevania IV: Kind of boring imo but I've only played 3 stages

Now I'm getting into Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth which is nothing at all like Castlevania the Adventure which is just fine with me because this game is extremely fun. I played a bit of Bloodlines on Genesis and it is loving sweet. The main character is from Texas and the game is really fast. I'm going to beat these two then I might go back to SCIV. Probably not going to bother with the GB games any more.

I wanna try the 3d ones too...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hello friends

have you tried CAstlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles??
http://the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castlevania-the-lecarde-chronicles-2013.php

it's a pretty drat good fangame and fun too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The original Adventure is legit the worst most broken Castlevania game outside of maybe Haunted Castle which I tried for maybe two minutes before stopping that quarter munching nightmare.

Stage three in Adventure is a precisely timed instant death spike box and the last stage assumes you have the upgraded whip, which if you don't makes each slog through the stage take like 20 minutes (basically every attempt after your first).

Legends stages are too loving long.

Belmont's Revenge is pretty cool though. I like the idea of choosing a castle to go through Megaman style.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I still don't understand how anyone liked Castlevania IV when it's such a loving obnoxious slog. It did have some fancy Mode7 bullshit that must've put sparkles in little kids' eyes at the time but just looks awful now

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

holy poo poo adventure ReBirth is good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Play the TurboGraphix 16 version instead, which was the original one anyway

that's Rondo of Blood

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The SNES Dracula X is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm on a castlevania binge to check out the roots of the series.

I played through all the NES games, some of all of the GB games and some SCIV.

Castlevania I: Badass
Castlevania II Simon's Quest: Badass
Castlevania III Dracula's Curse: Badass
Castlevania the Adventure: Bad
Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge: Better but still pretty Bad
Castlevania Legends: 6 years after Belmont's Revenge and this is what we get? wtf this came out after SotN.
Super Castlevania IV: Kind of boring imo but I've only played 3 stages

Now I'm getting into Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth which is nothing at all like Castlevania the Adventure which is just fine with me because this game is extremely fun. I played a bit of Bloodlines on Genesis and it is loving sweet. The main character is from Texas and the game is really fast. I'm going to beat these two then I might go back to SCIV. Probably not going to bother with the GB games any more.

I wanna try the 3d ones too...

I remember that I thought Castlevania 4 was pretty bad until I got past the first 4 stages.

• Locked thread