Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

The boxing general thread seems to have some good information in the first few posts. I am also quite hooked despite not getting any enjoyment when I watched UFC with my buddies a few years ago. Not only was that Main Event really good, but it got me interested in the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight because the commentary was basically implying "These two are in the same league, but that match will be EVEN BETTER." An hour ago I would have never thought ONCE about buying a boxing Pay Per View.

If you do that, just try to either have at least some friends over who will help chip in, or try to go to a bar that's inevitably airing it. poo poo's gonna be ridiculous (price for the Mayweather/Pacquiao PPV hasn't been officially announced yet, but everybody giving word on the fight since the week it was announced is saying it's minimum $90 for standard, minimum $100 for HD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Chris James 2 posted:

If you do that, just try to either have at least some friends over who will help chip in, or try to go to a bar that's inevitably airing it. poo poo's gonna be ridiculous (price for the Mayweather/Pacquiao PPV hasn't been officially announced yet, but everybody giving word on the fight since the week it was announced is saying it's minimum $90 for standard, minimum $100 for HD)

Grittybeard posted:

It should in theory be awesome or at least interesting but...well experience as a boxing fan tells me you should go to a bar that's carrying the fight. Or a movie theater, they've been doing that recently.

Unfortunately the best fights aren't usually the biggest fights.

Thanks for the tip. Me and my sports-watching bros have never done the sports bar thing since we always have Big Sport Event parties at our houses and the only PPVs we've gotten were wrestling things streaming on the interweb. The "biggest boxing event of the era," would be a good opportunity to try it out, especially as a buffer against disappointment.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I thought Broner/Molina was going to kill boxing's resurgence before it even started but goddamn that main event. My buddy and I, at the exact same time, said "my heart is racing" in the 10th. I hope this NBC thing works out in the long run.

If there is ever an event you can get a group of friends to throw in 10 bucks, it is Mayweather/Pacquiao.

edit

By the way, NBC needs to work on their sound. You could barely hear the announcers and it sounded dead. I hope they get it better in the future.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 8, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Make sure to get wherever you're watching it early though if you aren't buying it, this is absolutely the type of thing that everyone will want to watch (which is why they're gouging the poo poo out of the PPV).

I've been half paying attention to this Mancini thing that came on NBCSN after the Mares fight, what's Al Bundy's connection to Boom Boom?

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Grittybeard posted:

^^--GGG's just a loveable guy who destroys anyone in his way

That sounds good too. If it's an unbeatable juggernaut, chances are I want it to smash the piss out of the underdog.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. And thanks to NBC for giving me a real sport to watch when football's not in season. And thanks to whatever Buffalo Wild Wings I end up in to watch Mayweather/Pacquiao.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Grittybeard posted:

I've been half paying attention to this Mancini thing that came on NBCSN after the Mares fight, what's Al Bundy's connection to Boom Boom?

I initially assumed it had something to do with Ed O'Neil being an MMA enthusiast who wants to have a celebrity deathmatch with CM Punk, but apparently they're friends through some sports equipment executive.

http://clubindustry.com/blog/bruno-boom-boom-and-al-bundy-youngstown-connection

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Needs More Ditka posted:

That sounds good too. If it's an unbeatable juggernaut, chances are I want it to smash the piss out of the underdog.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. And thanks to NBC for giving me a real sport to watch when football's not in season. And thanks to whatever Buffalo Wild Wings I end up in to watch Mayweather/Pacquiao.

Triple G is pound for pound the most ducked fighter in boxing so he's a good fighter to check out now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Sergey Kovalev's another guy to check out along those lines, he's walked through everyone and Bernard Hopkins not being knocked out is almost as impressive as anything else he's done as an old man.

...that sounds more dismissive than it should, BHop is an exceptional old man. It's not exciting but watching him figure out how to deal with people who in theory should dominate him just by being young and fast the last few years is pretty amazing.

But for knocking fools out Kovalev is almost as good as Golovkin.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 8, 2015

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Who is everyone's favorite fighter and why is it Bernard Hopkins?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Thurman's a special fighter. Guerrero is a multi divisional world champion and a legitimate top 10 welterweight, and Thurman mostly dominated until he ran a bit out of gas in the championship rounds. All with a second head growing from his forehead.

I'd like to see Thurman fight either Tim Bradley or Danny Garcia next at 147, considering Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are busy with each other and it looks like Amir Khan and Kell Brook may be fighting each other as well.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Thurman's a special fighter. Guerrero is a multi divisional world champion and a legitimate top 10 welterweight, and Thurman mostly dominated until he ran a bit out of gas in the championship rounds. All with a second head growing from his forehead.

I'd like to see Thurman fight either Tim Bradley or Danny Garcia next at 147, considering Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are busy with each other and it looks like Amir Khan and Kell Brook may be fighting each other as well.

I thought Thurman's limits were on display here. He can't fight at close range at all. His movement is great but it's clear that he needs space to work. For me it was telling that Thurman never wanted to scrap it out with Guerrero; he tried to keep the fight at mid-range or longer throughout. I think a guy like Tim Bradley who has better footwork than Guerrero would give Thurman hell.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Triple G is pound for pound the most ducked fighter in boxing so he's a good fighter to check out now.

Mexicans loving love GGG, if that's any indication for people. In addition to fighting like an angry demon, he's also fluent in Spanish and a real gentleman.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ElGroucho posted:

Mexicans loving love GGG, if that's any indication for people. In addition to fighting like an angry demon, he's also fluent in Spanish and a real gentleman.

I had no idea he was fluent in Spanish. Even more than I did before, I want him to crush JCC Jr cuz now it will probably further endear him to Mexican fans - I can't imagine they have much love left for that fat stoner at this point.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Dangersim posted:

he was on tv over here discussing the jones- calzaghe fight a few years back and tried to say it would be attritional but instead aaid 'it's gonna be nutritional'

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Dangersim posted:

Because of how Emmanuel Steward would to pronounce his name (Burr-Nard, with equal emphasis on both syllables).

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I thought Thurman's limits were on display here. He can't fight at close range at all. His movement is great but it's clear that he needs space to work. For me it was telling that Thurman never wanted to scrap it out with Guerrero; he tried to keep the fight at mid-range or longer throughout. I think a guy like Tim Bradley who has better footwork than Guerrero would give Thurman hell.

Maybe he's not an elite inside fighter, but Guerrero is. I didn't see any red flags from Thurman here. Maybe he's not James Toney on the inside, but he's supernaturally athletic, has legitimate one punch power, and knows what he's doing in there. Guerrero beat the poo poo out of Andre Berto, mostly on the inside. He's also got an unbelievable chin and stamina. He's a very good, very tough fighter, and Thurman won almost every round, hurt him, knocked him down, and beat him much more thoroughly than he's ever been beaten before, including arguably against Floyd Mayweather.

As for Bradley, I'm not sure he's got the size or strength to beat Thurman. I'd love to see it, though.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

Dangersim posted:

It's because of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llp_L-riVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
One of the reasons I like Hopkins is because he's super dirty, but not in a way that makes you angey, more of a "Oh Bernard you loveable scamp you" way

• Locked thread