Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Let's have a toast for the douchebags,
Let's have a toast for the assholes,
Let's have a toast for the scumbags,
Every one of them that I know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5iA4Zupek

Cause the players gonna play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate
Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake
Shake it off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Or maybe, just maybe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6daXy5-W8c

The thing that unites is that both Taylor Swift and Kanye West have a large number of people who hate them, just because they're popular and confident. But there's room enough in this world to allow for both of them to prosper. They both contribute more to the world of music than they take away. Let them prosper, let them grow, and let us love them both, to show that we can love each other, no matter what comes between us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If the Mafia kids are united, then they'll never be divided.

+1

Point to Meinberg.

Last one!

All game, one of you has been town and one has been scum. Say I've got the plorp, convince me. Convince the viewers.

Meinberg, you're first.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Let's be honest, do you think I'd keep Mills around if I had a choice in the matter? We're clearly oppositional in a large number of ways. In fact, I still have Mills on ignore! I could have easily taken Rurea or Opopanax to the finals, and had no way of losing. Taking Mills to the end is the worst possible decision I could have made, and yet here he is, and here I am, facing down at the last minute.

Mills, meanwhile, has every reason to take me to the end, due to my brash habit of sticking my foot in my mouth and my tendency to speeches of grandiose eloquence that have a way of rubbing people the wrong way at times.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mills?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Many of you are not aware but Meinberg is actually a parrot that Allen Wren has secretly been training for nefarious purposes. After numerous failed attempts to teach this parrot to play mafia, Allen Wren decided that a new approach was in order. He would rig a game and label it “mafia”, insert his parrot as the sole scum, then award points to it so that it would be impossible for it to lose. When I interrogated Allen about this earlier, he spilled the beans in private.

Allen Wren was modest in his descriptions of Meinberg's accomplishments, not claiming that he could use "language" but instead saying that he used a two-way communications code. Listing Meinberg's accomplishments in 2013, Allen Wren said he could identify 50 different objects and recognize quantities up to six; that he could distinguish seven colors and five shapes, and understand the concepts of "bigger", "smaller", "same", and "different", and that he was learning "over" and "under". Meinberg passed increasingly difficult tests measuring whether humans have achieved Piaget's Substage 6 object permanence. Meinberg showed surprise and anger when confronted with a nonexistent object or one different from what he had been led to believe was hidden during the tests.

Meinberg had a vocabulary of over 100 words. but was exceptional in that he appeared to have understanding of what he said. For example, when Meinberg was shown an object and was asked about its shape, color, or material, he could label it correctly. He could understand that a key was a key no matter what its size or color, and could figure out how the key was different from others. He asked what color he was, and learned "grey" after being told the answer six times. This made him the first and only non-human animal to have ever asked an existential question (apes who have been trained to use sign-language have so far failed to ever ask a single question).

Meinberg understood the turn-taking of communication and often the syntax used in language. He called an apple a "banerry", which a linguist friend of Allen Wren's thought to be a combination of "banana" and "cherry," two fruits he was more familiar with.

Meinberg could even add, to a limited extent, correctly giving the number of similar objects on a tray. Allen Wren said that if he could not count, the data could be interpreted as his being able to quickly and accurately estimate the number of something, better than humans can.

When he was tired of being tested, he would say “Wanna go back,” meaning he wanted to go back to his cage, and in general, he would request where he wanted to be taken by saying "Wanna go...", protest if he was taken to a different place, and sit quietly when taken to his preferred spot. He was not trained to say where he wanted to go, but picked it up from being asked where he'd like to be taken.

If the researcher displayed irritation, Meinberg tried to defuse it with the phrase, “I’m sorry.” If he said “Wanna banana,” but was offered a nut instead, he stared in silence, asked for the banana again, or took the nut and threw it at the researcher or otherwise displayed annoyance, before requesting the item again. When asked questions in the context of research testing, he gave the correct answer approximately 80% of the time.

Once, Meinberg was given several different colored blocks (two red, three blue, and four green—similar to the picture above). Allen Wren asked him, "What color three?" expecting him to say blue. However, as Meinberg had been asked this question before, he seemed to have become bored. He answered "five!" This kept occurring until Allen Wren said "Fine, what color five?" Meinberg replied "none". This suggests that parrots, like children, get bored. Sometimes, Meinberg purposely answered the questions incorrectly, despite knowing the correct answer.

Preliminary research also seems to indicate that Meinberg could carry over the concept of four blue balls of wool on a tray to four notes from a piano. Allen Wren was also training him to recognize "4" as "four". Meinberg also showed some comprehension of personal pronouns; he used different language when referring to himself or others, indicating a concept of "I" and "you".

In January 2015, Allen Wren reported that Meinberg understood the concept of zero. If asked the difference between two objects, he also answered that; but if there was no difference between the objects, he said “none", which meant that he understood the concept of nothing or zero. In February 2015, Allen Wren discovered that Meinberg's perception of optical illusions was similar to human perception.

For these clear and obvious reasons, Meinberg is scum.

Mills fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 17, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mills posted:

Mills hosed around with this message at Mar 16, 2015 around 9:54 PM

+1

Point.

+1

Game.

Scum Player Meinberg, you have one (brief)post to talk about whatever you like.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

We all need to be good to each other. We're all in this together, in this vast and uncaring universe, all that we can rely on for succor and comfort is our fellows. Only in the warm embrace of humanity's light can we hope to advance beyond the pettiness of the past.

Love will save us all.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay! Words to live by, if that's what you want to do with your life.

That's all from us for tonight.

I'd honestly like to thank everyone who was involved, the interview subject kaschei, all six players, Meinberg, Mills, Opop, Rurea, Trip and Hiipfire.

Imagine I just threw a wad of papers at the monitor.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wow what the hell Meinberg. I thought we were best friends

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Wow what the hell Meinberg. I thought we were best friends

Sorry buddy, had to think about the ratings!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I assume he killed Rurea and Opoponax because they were AFK and on their phone respectively.

I liked the concept of this game but I found the execution frustrating at times. Scoring seemed arbitrary. Zing someone one round for a point, zing someone else for another round to lose a point. I lost a round to Meinberg simply pasting lyrics and linking YouTube videos. I am still convinced that he is Wren's pony parrot!

I think any revisit to this concept requires audience participation to determine who gets points.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't believe my nemesis meinberg won because mills dropped the ball

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, yeah, sorry I freaked out earlier. I had a lovely day at work, I was running an untested format with half replacement players, I probably should have been in bed already...but I appreciate that people cared enough to watch and shitpost, even if it was at cross purposes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mills posted:

I assume he killed Rurea and Opoponax because they were AFK and on their phone respectively.

I liked the concept of this game but I found the execution frustrating at times. Scoring seemed arbitrary. Zing someone one round for a point, zing someone else for another round to lose a point. I lost a round to Meinberg simply pasting lyrics and linking YouTube videos. I am still convinced that he is Wren's pony parrot!

The completely arbitrary nature of the scoring is extremely true to Around the Horn, though! Allen is a good Tony Reali.

Also, you do not receive a cork nut.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mills posted:

I think any revisit to this concept requires audience participation to determine who gets points.

Scoring is entirely arbitrary.

efb

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I have never watched this show haha.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Don't worry Mills, you're still the people's champion

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mills posted:

I have never watched this show haha.

I don't even think it runs on your side of the planet, so I'm not surprised. I didn't think it was a detriment to your play, your posting was good.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Just my 2c. :shrug:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to replace in for Rurea's corpse.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Thanks for letting me fill in MMM/Wren~

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah Thanks Wren, the parts I was able to do were cool, but then I went into Target and lost an hour somehow

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

2 minute warnings would be great too. I submitted that parrot post early with typos because I was unsure of time. :(

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
This was fun to watch and I'd definitely play it if it were re-run :) Mills in particular cracked me up.

Fun fact - one of my favorite bands, Umphrey's McGee, wrote the current theme song to Around the Horn. If you get a chance to see them, do it. Tony Reali sat in for a "Layla" encore at one of their shows last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBm9_iZCu7w

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I never really got into UMG, which is weird, considering I spent like three years at college working at the student radio station on the classic rock and jam band focused afternoon program and they were definitely in heavy rotation.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

college radio bro :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mills posted:

Taylor makes [...] bad music.
:mad:

• Locked thread