Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Also the location of the clothes doesn't discount paradoxical undressing at all. They felt hot, took off some of their clothes, put them in the tent, then went back outside and died.

There's plenty of cool mysteries in the world that remain unsolved. Choosing a solved one then haggling over irrelevant details in the explanation is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

FrozenVent posted:

Where are you getting this stuff? Any primary sources?

Yes, Lobatchev and Eichar, both working from investigation reports.

I've never heard of this occurring. I've been spending a lot of time walking through snow for the past thirty something years. Snow does not do that.

There's testimony that is does. I have seen icy tracks remaining after snow has melted. I haven't seen it in heavy snow but the search photos show both recessed and outstanding footsteps.

It's like there were a bunch of people trampling all over the place making tracks as the searchers were taking notes.

Yes, but old tracks and new tracks can be differed between. I agree it would be easy to get confused but the first searchers were fairly clear: the tracks were old, unshod feet, not running, walking together, not turning back, not carrying anything/one heavy.

Again you're assuming the searchers' report are reliable. Buddy picked up one of his colleague's tracks.

I'm not calling any of the reports 100% accurate. I'm giving you the range and you decide how to interpret.

Victims of hypothermia don't run.

They weren't suffering from hypothermia inside the tent or immediately after leaving it. The tracks were from the tent (or 20m away, going for several 100s of metres). It would have taken about 30min for hypothermia to set in. They were regularly fit/warm when they walked out of the tent. They only started to experience hypothermia when they reached the treeline 1.5km from the tent and had been in the wind and snow for approx. 30-45min.

The point is when they left the tent they were not running from an avalanche or some sort of phenomena that caused panic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You don't understand what a primary source is. It's not the book written by the guy working from the original report, it's the original report.

You don't understand how hypothermia sets in. It's not a set amount of time, it can happen in a tent.

As to the foot tracks, yes, sometimes frozen tracks will remain after the snow has melted. Not long, and it doesn't look like what you're describing - it's more like little chips of ice or cookies.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

FrozenVent posted:

You don't understand what a primary source is. It's not the book written by the guy working from the original report, it's the original report.

You don't understand how hypothermia sets in. It's not a set amount of time, it can happen in a tent.

As to the foot tracks, yes, sometimes frozen tracks will remain after the snow has melted. Not long, and it doesn't look like what you're describing - it's more like little chips of ice or cookies.

There is no full translation of the original reports, as far as I know. The secondary sources I quote give fragments of translation. Find me a translation of the reports and we'll debate that.

There was no reason for anyone to get hypothermia in a wind-sheltered environment in only approx. -10c (early evening) with plenty of clothes, blankets, felt boots, ski boots and a stove with wood (if they wanted it), plus food and hot cocoa in thermos flask. The evidence suggests that all except 1 of the party was active and moving for 2-3 hours before hypothermia killed them. The trauma victims are a different matter, probably less than 2 hours exposure.

I've seen series of full footprints with with treadmarks last for a week or two under moderate shaded conditions. What can I say...?

I'm not inventing any of this stuff and I'm not pushing any angle... If you have a theory - post it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

There was no reason for anyone to get hypothermia in a wind-sheltered environment in only approx. -10c

Jesus Christ.

Here's my theory: they got scared by something, they ran out of the tent, died of hypothermia. The end.

Then there was a sloppy soviet investigation, it got seized on by conspiracy theorists and the people who make money off of them, and here we are.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

FrozenVent posted:

Jesus Christ.

Here's my theory: they got scared by something, they ran out of the tent, died of hypothermia. The end.

Then there was a sloppy soviet investigation, it got seized on by conspiracy theorists and the people who make money off of them, and here we are.

Don't forget idiots. Idiots love it.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I've never heard of this occurring. I've been spending a lot of time walking through snow for the past thirty something years. Snow does not do that

I've seen it quite a few times, though the foot prints are really just flat blobs. You can't sniff them and say "this person was left handed and not running."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Don't forget idiots. Idiots love it.

That's included in conspiracy theorists, really.

"But guys, if you only look at these selected pieces of evidence..."

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Jesus Christ.

You know what? I 100% agree with you. :)

Phyzzle posted:

I've seen it quite a few times, though the foot prints are really just flat blobs. You can't sniff them and say "this person was left handed and not running."

Yeah, to a degree. Photos of some of the Dyatlov prints are fairly clear and flat - very different profile to a running step (chopping, angular and without heel). The original searchers had at least one expert tracker so... :shrug:

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010
Well if that didn't happen the what the gently caress is this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatwoods_monster please explain. It's relevant (it's not). People in the 50's didn't lie, don't you know! It must be aliens.

Stockholm Syndrome has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Mar 26, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm pretty sure the Flatwoods Monster was an actual monster/alien and not just an owl that caught fire from an exploded meteor or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm pretty sure the Flatwoods Monster was an actual monster/alien and not just an owl that caught fire from an exploded meteor or whatever.

Idiot. You're creating a false dichotomy to support your position. It was obviously a monster/alien who caught fire from a meteor coincidentally.

• Locked thread