Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
"Don't drink, but smoke weed."

-Bus driver on an empty public transit bus. I sat down during a short layover and he shouted back for me to "entertain him". In retrospect, this sounds like the setup to an erotic fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dielectric posted:

-Don't marry the first girl you gently caress

Oops, I'm doing this. What if she isn't the only girl I've hosed? :v:

--Don't get caught.

--Always have a backup (first got this advice in the context of having a spare condom on-hand in some way)

--It's not about winning, it's about excellence.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Eat the booty.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Decrepus posted:

Eat the booty.

If you see the booty, kill the booty.

houndofcullin
Jun 18, 2008
My father was a man of wisdom... i remember being just a young boy when he advised me on the birds and the bees.

"You cannot always tell by the smell."

Words to love by.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
"Don't get her preggers."

Also, right before I moved out of town for college, my grandfather gently pulled me aside and told me to watch out for the blacks. Thanks, gramps, I'll be sure to do that.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
From my mother, when I was a teenager: "If a man ever hits you, or farts in bed and pulls the covers over your head, leave him. It doesn't matter if he says sorry afterwards, he will do it again, and nobody deserves to be treated like that, ever. You will always have a home here if you ever need to get away when you're grown up."

And it stuck with me, because it made so much sense and was a kind offer and support from my mam, but also because of the "farts in bed and pulls the covers over your head" thing. Why she mentioned that along with domestic violence, I have no idea. She denies all knowledge of this conversation so I don't think I'll ever have an explanation. Oddly enough I got a lot of great relationships advice in that vein from my mam, things like "watch how your date treats the waitress/barmaid because that's how he treats women who are serving him and that's how he'll treat you one day", and "listen to how he talks about ex-girlfriends or other women in his life", so the "farts in bed" thing really stood out. :confused:

She also told me "don't do drugs because your dad did LSD in the '70s and had nightmares for a week and never touched drugs again".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
It seems like she was giving you good examples of obvious bad stuff (hitting you) and less obvious but still upsetting stuff that is still indicative of a lack of respect/boundaries/couth (Dutch ovens). You don't want to get seriously involved with someone who thinks it's funny to mistreat you on ANY level.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
My drill instructor told us all that eating pussy is a necessity for relationships. Good advice.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

YeahTubaMike posted:

It seems like she was giving you good examples of obvious bad stuff (hitting you) and less obvious but still upsetting stuff that is still indicative of a lack of respect/boundaries/couth (Dutch ovens). You don't want to get seriously involved with someone who thinks it's funny to mistreat you on ANY level.

One time, while watching a movie with my partner I asked if she heard something. When she responded that she hadn't, I instructed her to lean in and listen closely. With her head near mine, and our bodies tangled in the long-term-relationship-Netflix position, I made a very serious face and squeezed out a wheezing bit of flatulence. I giggled. She whacked me one across the chest then joined my laughter.

Guess I'm as bad as a wife beater. I shall inform the wife and pack my things.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"A Law degree is a safe Investment". Oh mom.

"Getting involved with foreigners never ends well." Thanks mom and dad.

"Spend a least one hour outside every day regardless of weather." Sure thing dad.

"Take up as much student debt as possible, it`s cheap credit" Sure about that Brother?

"It`s ok to only think about yourself when voting". I agree sister, i agree.

Baudolino has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Apr 15, 2015

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my grandfather told me that a man who is good at fishing is good at getting pussy. i dont know why hed drop me off at the creek with no bait and spend an hour with a hooker but thats a mystery of life.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
don't poo poo where you eat. this applies primarily to dating coworkers in my mundane life

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
"Only tattle if you don't want any friends."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"If she smokes, she pokes"

Never really got that one.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

up up down down left right left right B A

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Never buy the cheapest of anything if you can help it. You'll only get pissed off with it later. If you're going to get it, get it RIGHT the first time, or don't get it at all."

Advice I still live by, thanks Mom!

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

"Never buy the cheapest of anything if you can help it. You'll only get pissed off with it later. If you're going to get it, get it RIGHT the first time, or don't get it at all."

I agree with this for many types of purchases, but it also reminds me of this one: My grandmother used to tell my mom "never buy cheap clothes" which in her application became "only buy designer." IMO that can just as easily turn into the opposite of wise spending.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
My 8th grade science teacher had all these sayings hanging around the classroom.

"It's not important until it is."

"Think about what makes sense."

Even though I remember poo poo like that from 15 years ago I never followed it. Oh he also had the sign "Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights made an airplane!"

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Dad: "If you crouch down on that white block for a few seconds, you drop behind the scenery"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mamelon posted:

I agree with this for many types of purchases, but it also reminds me of this one: My grandmother used to tell my mom "never buy cheap clothes" which in her application became "only buy designer." IMO that can just as easily turn into the opposite of wise spending.

Thats a good distinction though. I never buy designer but I never buy cheap. My wife gets super mad at me because her family had the exact opposite outlook. They'll get whatever because "Hey its cheap and we got it!".

I'll go without until I can afford to get what I actually want. It drives her mad because we'll go without a clothing item or tool or something until I find something that is decent rather than "whats on sale".

I think my way is better.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Thats a good distinction though. I never buy designer but I never buy cheap. My wife gets super mad at me because her family had the exact opposite outlook. They'll get whatever because "Hey its cheap and we got it!".

I'll go without until I can afford to get what I actually want. It drives her mad because we'll go without a clothing item or tool or something until I find something that is decent rather than "whats on sale".

I think my way is better.

My ex wouldn't replace anything unless he could get something super cheap on sale and his was falling apart to the point he physically couldn't use it anymore. He spent $20-40 on some garbage winter shoes and a few weeks in the soles cracked in half from water damage...so he tried to super glue it together again. When that didn't work he went out and bought a different pair in the same price range that surprise surprise fell apart by the end of the winter. By the end of the winter he'd spent far more than I had on shoes.

I was always told by my one teacher "Buy one really nice thing that will carry you through the next few years rather than several cheap/lovely/garbage ones that will get you through now." I don't own a lot but what I do is nice enough, and you collect quite a bit over the years that way since you're not always replacing it.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

My ex wouldn't replace anything unless he could get something super cheap on sale and his was falling apart to the point he physically couldn't use it anymore. He spent $20-40 on some garbage winter shoes and a few weeks in the soles cracked in half from water damage...so he tried to super glue it together again. When that didn't work he went out and bought a different pair in the same price range that surprise surprise fell apart by the end of the winter. By the end of the winter he'd spent far more than I had on shoes.

I was always told by my one teacher "Buy one really nice thing that will carry you through the next few years rather than several cheap/lovely/garbage ones that will get you through now." I don't own a lot but what I do is nice enough, and you collect quite a bit over the years that way since you're not always replacing it.

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

― Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My mother had some gems when I was growing up. My favorite has always been, "Turn the other cheek, all four!"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
If you still see stripes, you need more wipes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not sure who told me this, or if it was even one person, but 'you don't have to do what they tell you to, all you have to do is look like you are'.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
"Do as I say, not what I do" - Dad who beat his wife.

"Don't trust black people"-Racist Dad

"College Degrees are magical job tickets"-Dad who still thinks it's 1997.

"Don't focus on girls. Focus on school. You'll see when your older and put together, women will be all over you." - Mom unaware of nice guy mentality.

"The world is just/God will pay you back."- Parents who accepted WIC and housing assistance

Yeah, My parents weren't very good with advice.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The great Dolly Parton said, "Find out who you are then do it on purpose."

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

ladron posted:

The lord loves a working man.
Don't trust whitey.

poo poo .... Shinola.

JoelJoel posted:

"If she smokes, she pokes"

Never really got that one.

This is true and sage.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Uncle - "Don't settle down in the same city as your parents."
Teacher - "Move out of your hometown, at the very least for college. People who say in their hometown all their lives are boring."
Other teacher - "For any sort of speaking/presentation, just make a web outline, and be able to rattle off a few sentences on each point, and you'll give really good presentations". Not really that special, but it made presentations really easy, and it looks a lot better than being another person reading their slides line by line.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Jastiger posted:

My great-aunt was a flapper in the '20s, and her mother told her that if she was going to smoke, she should only buy expensive cigarettes, because then she'd get used to them and wouldn't like the cheap stuff, so she'd only have one or two on a night out with her friends instead of chain-smoking.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
English teacher advised us against keeping a journal "Once you write something down, it doesn't belong to you, it belongs to the world."

This was in the mid-90s, so it allowed me the presence of mind to only moderately embarrass myself on the early-internet. Then again, she also said:

"Today in an earlier class a little boy said to me. 'Ma'am, he has more than me and that isn't fair!'. This attitude is called "Communism" and it is wrong."

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Always believe the other driver is an idiot and doesn't know what they're doing"

"If you don't know what it is, don't touch it"

"Always wear a condom, everytime"

"People who have been drinking and offer you a ride and say their "straight" are always lying, always"

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly! If a strange man offers you a ride, I say, take it!"

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
"True laziness is doing a task right, so you don't risk having to redo it."

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
"It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Something I remember from... God, I think it was B3ta? Christ that must have been some time ago, but:

'Two things to remember about having sex as a guy, one - always have a condom and two - remember to take off your socks, cause there is nothing, NOTHING, more rediculous-looking than a man naked but for his socks.'

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Giggles posted:

don't poo poo where you eat. this applies primarily to dating coworkers in my mundane life

This is good advice and would have been useful to me about 4 years ago. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way

Old high school badminton coach: "Remember guys, take care of your finances"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The pores in condoms are too big so the AIDS virus will get through and give you AIDS! So don't have sex!!

-10th grade health class

And the girls who got pregnant got sent to off-campus night school so the school wouldn't look bad to visitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mr. Giggles posted:

Eh, I've followed this religiously and I feel I've missed on good things, not just crazy drama.

• Locked thread