Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Honestly, that's an amazing idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Jesus I didn't realize that getting the game to accept mods was going to be such a pain in the rear end. I needed to get a unity license and then I'm half way into installing visual basic or some poo poo because I have a notification that the modchain is broken and none of the mods I added were showing up before I found a post saying to ignore all that unless you're creating mods and to activate the playset, which I thought I had already done.

At least the act of actually adding and activating the mods is really smooth.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Soonmot posted:

Jesus I didn't realize that getting the game to accept mods was going to be such a pain in the rear end. I needed to get a unity license and then I'm half way into installing visual basic or some poo poo because I have a notification that the modchain is broken and none of the mods I added were showing up before I found a post saying to ignore all that unless you're creating mods and to activate the playset, which I thought I had already done.

At least the act of actually adding and activating the mods is really smooth.

Yea, it's not very clear that you don't need to install all of that in order to use mods.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Yea, it's not very clear that you don't need to install all of that in order to use mods.

To be fair I have no idea what any of that is from, I never saw anything about a “mod stack” or unity license to get my mods going. Is this some tutorial that implies that’s how you get mods?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

To be fair I have no idea what any of that is from, I never saw anything about a “mod stack” or unity license to get my mods going. Is this some tutorial that implies that’s how you get mods?

If you go to Options, there's a line for "Modding" that's all about installing the mod toolchain, for developing mods (not using them).

You'll only see it if you look through the options menu, but it's also ambiguous enough to catch even if you only want to get mods. It says "Toolchain state" at the top, but they should have just made it more clear that it's only for developing mods, and not "Modding" in general.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, basically just remember to activate your Playset and not just add mods to it and you'll be fine

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So either CO or Paradox, whoever pulled the trigger, was in a great hurry to get the worst reviewed DLC on Steam out of the public eye. They killed it off in such a rush that now the poor sods that actually bought the DLC (versus just getting it from the Ultimate Edition) have it completely removed from their game and any saves that used those assets now show blank grey boxes.

In response, CO updated the FAQ regarding this situation:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/faq-the-way-forward.1663862/ posted:

Why am I unable to access assets from Beach Properties at the moment?
We intended for players to have access to the Beach Properties assets until we could incorporate them into the Base Game with the upcoming patch. Unfortunately, due to variations in the packages purchased, some entitlements are currently inactive and causing an issue where the player cannot access the assets. We are looking for a temporary fix for this, but the issue may continue until the patch is released. Said patch is in the works, and will soon move to testing and then certification. We aim to deliver this update to you within 2-3 weeks, earlier if possible.

So if things go bad (and why wouldn't they, everything else has) your save games are only going to be messed up for a couple weeks. I honestly hadn't even considered this as a possible way to screw up a refund.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

loving lmao. What a dumpster fire.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

the fun question is if a modder will be able to put out a fix for this faster than they can.

I've heard people say the assets are built in to the game, and the DLC is just a license that lets you use the assets, but I'm not sure how true that is in this case. it's how DLC works for many other games, so it may just be possible.

in either case: I would be so deeply embarrassed to be a software developer working at CO, the standards and processes they have are so outdated and pitiful

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

piratepilates posted:

the fun question is if a modder will be able to put out a fix for this faster than they can.

I've heard people say the assets are built in to the game, and the DLC is just a license that lets you use the assets, but I'm not sure how true that is in this case. it's how DLC works for many other games, so it may just be possible.

in either case: I would be so deeply embarrassed to be a software developer working at CO, the standards and processes they have are so outdated and pitiful

since it's unity (which is lol in itself how many of the problems of the game including this are due to what a disaster unity has become over the past few years) they should be able to have the dlc install the assets from the internet but who knows

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

piratepilates posted:

The developers probably aren't very good either

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheMcD posted:

So either CO or Paradox, whoever pulled the trigger, was in a great hurry to get the worst reviewed DLC on Steam out of the public eye. They killed it off in such a rush that now the poor sods that actually bought the DLC (versus just getting it from the Ultimate Edition) have it completely removed from their game and any saves that used those assets now show blank grey boxes.

In response, CO updated the FAQ regarding this situation:

So if things go bad (and why wouldn't they, everything else has) your save games are only going to be messed up for a couple weeks. I honestly hadn't even considered this as a possible way to screw up a refund.
At what point does a dumpster fire become a landfill fire?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Poil posted:

I think it depends on the zoning

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Poil posted:

Tyre fire like ”Mt. Firestone” is one of my favourites. There’s no good way of putting them out once they really get going.

E: https://www.historylink.org/File/9233

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 23, 2024

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lay out some streets and a few services, start zoning, hit "play"

With 12 residents whose houses aren't even built yet, they immediately scream about high rent. What the gently caress is wrong with this dumb game.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Lay out some streets and a few services, start zoning, hit "play"

With 12 residents whose houses aren't even built yet, they immediately scream about high rent. What the gently caress is wrong with this dumb game.

I think this is the end source of my frustration with service road weighting; I'd definitely believe assholes parking in the bus stop bonus lane, but you can also lay out only services-only lanes as the one highway connection thinking "oh hey I can get the trash pickup from neighbors" and lo and behold, every single household in town crams their brodozer down it while moving in.

Or at least actually have an interaction where the police department that's constantly driving up and down it tickets any private plate rather than ignoring them.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Mandoric posted:

I think this is the end source of my frustration with service road weighting; I'd definitely believe assholes parking in the bus stop bonus lane, but you can also lay out only services-only lanes as the one highway connection thinking "oh hey I can get the trash pickup from neighbors" and lo and behold, every single household in town crams their brodozer down it while moving in.

Or at least actually have an interaction where the police department that's constantly driving up and down it tickets any private plate rather than ignoring them.

That would be lovely dystopian. All roads are service roads and the main income of the city is fining anyone with a car.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
in the Fourth Stimpire, all motor vehicles run on civic fuel harvested from unloyal citizens, and electric vehicles are charged with the most painful kind of electricity. the punishment for not using your turn signal is for your nerves to be flayed, one centimeter at a time, until only your brain remains, whereupon it is placed into an Eternal Painsphere and hung from streetlights as an example to others

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mandoric posted:

you can also lay out only services-only lanes as the one highway connection thinking "oh hey I can get the trash pickup from neighbors" and lo and behold, every single household in town crams their brodozer down it while moving in.

*looks at America*

working as intended, ticket closed

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The key to cultivating a reputation of making the worst games ever involves more than just making a terrible game, anyone can do that. You have to also desperately try to save your brand by resorting to underhanded poo poo in broad daylight, causing a Streisand effect on it.

It's what you would call the "secret sauce."

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I open this thread and there's always a surprise for me regarding how much of a mess this game is.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Dunno-Lars posted:

That would be lovely utopian. All roads are service roads and the main income of the city is fining anyone with a car.

ftfy :allears:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

so, new patch dropped, including a fix for the beechfront properties dlc gray box issue, details here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-1-1-2f1.1670525/

I have no idea why the community manager said 2-3 weeks for a fix, and then they just drop a sizable patch a few days later, what the hell was the point in that. It doesn't seem like they rushed it or anything, its a big patch, where the heck did the extra 1-2 weeks come from :wal:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If they're going to start underpromising and overdelivering, that would be a welcome reversal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

piratepilates posted:

2-3 weeks for a fix, and then they just drop a sizable patch a few days later, what the hell was the point in that

that's the Montgomery Scott principle

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

DLSS but no FSR ):

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
sometimes you just over-estimate the amount of story points a ticket requires :)

interesting official explanation for why the asset editor will be another several months:

quote:

The short explanation is that the Editor needs to import and package asset files in a way that does not require having Unity installed and access to the project itself, and the file format needs to be future-proof so assets created with the Editor are functional down the line too. As the Region Packs are to be released on Paradox Mods, they need this before they can released, while we can directly implement assets for DLCs.

While working on the asset import and saving, we've encountered some frustrating technical issues, that have caused the work to take significantly longer than we had expected.

unfortunate but we'll get there i guess. by the end of this year all the gamer rage will probably have been forgotten i think. shame it will have taken a whole year to get back to where they should have been at launch though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

tl;dr "We still don't know what the hell we're doing, please be patient while we try to figure it out as we go"

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

https://x.com/ColossalOrder/status/1783474533921427481

FSR2 maybe coming in the future.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well DLSS is at least good enough for the majority of gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

still playing High Rise City instead of CSL2, and I realized I sorta want the burgage plots from Manor Lords for my zoning needs. Grid-based zoning is honestly kind of outdated and i'd like to just be able to draw a polygon in which homes or whatever are built