Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
If any of you remember my last post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701894 I bought a car, but I need help figuring some stuff out.

I came home today after parking on a hill to find this:

So I decided to take a deeper look

Is this normal, I did a bit of googleing and didn't find anything. Should there be a dust cap or something there?

I swear it not a diesel but it came with this nifty plug:

Does anyone know what this is?

As for the trans, here are some shots and check if you can see if any bolts are missing.

You can see in this one where this fluid is coming from
My main question I guess is do you think I should take it to the mechanic for the leaking gear oil problem? I have a garage at home but I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to clutches and transmissions. Honestly I'm good with electricity that's why I bought a Saab :science:

THANK YOU!

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can't say anything about the transmission, but that's a trickle charger. They're meant to keep a battery topped off when the car is parked for long periods.

Previous owner either had issues with the battery dying overnight, kept putting off replacing a weak battery, or let it sit for weeks/months at a time.

Also your link is broken. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 16, 2015

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

some texas redneck posted:

Previous owner either had issues with the battery dying overnight, kept putting off replacing a weak battery, or let it sit for weeks/months at a time.

Or lives in the far north and keeps it plugged in when it's really cold, which still indicates a weak battery at best but it's a little less incriminating, anyway.

If that place that looks like it should have a cover is the thing I think it is, mine is like that too. It still freaks me out a little when I see it at a new angle.

You bought a Saab because you're good with electrical things? Saab electronics and electrical systems are pretty good, in my opinion.

E: what model and year is it? I can't quite tell from your pictures.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 17, 2015

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Or lives in the far north and keeps it plugged in when it's really cold, which still indicates a weak battery at best but it's a little less incriminating, anyway.

If that place that looks like it should have a cover is the thing I think it is, mine is like that too. It still freaks me out a little when I see it at a new angle.

E: what model and year is it? I can't quite tell from your pictures.

its a 93 SCA Enthusiast. So there isn't a cover? That seems really dangerous with water, and road debris.

:hfive: Hey I freaked out when I could see the flywheel spinning

quote:

You bought a Saab because you're good with electrical things? Saab electronics and electrical systems are pretty good, in my opinion.

It looks like I have a lot of work due to corrosion damage from a leaking sunroof

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

bikesonyx posted:

It looks like I have a lot of work due to corrosion damage from a leaking sunroof

I hope it's not that bad. Water damage to wiring is a loving pain. When you need to cut and splice damaged wires, the corrosion on the copper cores can go back a long way up the wire.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Water damage to wiring
Well, it is St Patrick's Day.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

bikesonyx posted:

its a 93 SCA Enthusiast. So there isn't a cover? That seems really dangerous with water, and road debris.

:hfive: Hey I freaked out when I could see the flywheel spinning

I realized that isn't the place I thought it was. At first I thought it was looking up from underneath the car. It doesn't look like there is a place for a cover to attach though. Where is the corrosion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I realized that isn't the place I thought it was. At first I thought it was looking up from underneath the car. It doesn't look like there is a place for a cover to attach though. Where is the corrosion?

I saw water dripping out of the seat belt warning center so ill give a few guess why that doesn't turn on, and why my sunroof doesn't open. Then I have to get into the gas gauge but I haven't had time (there is power to the gauge but its not registering a level)

Oh Also the previous owner smoked A LOT in the car with the windows up

Now that I'm at it.. what do you know about this head bolt re-torque thing ?
http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/114895-100K-and-HeadBolt-re-torque
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-112874.html

• Locked thread