Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Enjoy your twenty minute cut scene and info dump.

The year is 2011, only two years after Big Shell. The terrorist known as Solidus, known only to a few, was reported to have died there. A fantastic sword fight in New York between two strange looking men, one with ROCKET BOOSTERS on his feet that set the roof tiles on fire, both in strange outfits, surfaced on the internet for a few minutes only to have been wiped. Only rumors exist today of the footage.

Solidus did not die. Or if he did, he got better.

In the year 1945 two atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The horror of these two city killers helped make America the super power that it is today. Once upon a time thousands of bunkers were constructed by the US and its allies and the Soviet Union and its allies which housed missiles which would rain death, and potentially end the world as we know it all with the push of a button. That power has spread to other nations, but they are not the focus of this story. Instead, the focus is upon a small island in Africa colloquially known as "Green Island" known for its lush jungle and named by its boorish British colonists once upon a time when it used to be a stop off point just a hundred kilometers south of the Horn of Africa. Later it was a harbor for pirates, then after the US navy drove them out of business, a short lived tourist destination with a tiny harbor and a lot of ruined Soviet era buildings. Months ago a group calling themselves the MSF quietly took over and began to build quickly, but not quietly enough. All but one of a UN nuclear weapons disarmament team was killed when they found the MSF. A brief invasion was repelled with deadly force weeks later after the nations of the world got their act together, hesitating instead of striking decisively. Before they could bring the hammer down, Mr. Firenze broadcast to the world that all six nuclear sites were active, and would be fired to hit cities in the European Union and Middle East at the first launch, sea bombardment or land invasion of the island. That the so called Militaires Sans Frontières was not to be trifled with, and was declaring itself a state dedicated to the noble soldier, freedom and a united world.

Deep, deep down in an inconspicuous bunker in the earth a meeting of grave consequence was taking place.

"The funny thing," said Solidus, aka George Sears, once 43rd president of the United States in that bright, cracked and mean little white room made before the fall of communism, "Is that today, these little holes in the ground are little more than museums. If called upon, our most generous estimates show that less than half of them will fire and that was years ago. Security is a joke and just last year a 95 year old woman penetrated one of the facilities in Utah for three hours before even being noticed." His voice buzzed through the electronic voice box installed into his throat, knobbly Adam's apple bobbing with the strain of speaking for so long. He was a shell of his former self. His one eye stared into the ether, and if the rumors were true, this once proud lion of a man had orchestrated the attack of Big Shell himself, but in its failure he set this plan in motion. However in the process someone had harvested his organs for parts and thrown him away, a president of the United States, like so much bad meat. Now he laid in the bed, upright, his one eye blazing, yet focused on nothing. The strain of merely his medals seemed to wear his tiny frame down.

"So the obvious question is why have we taken this island? Less than a thousand soldiers, and you, the best of the best, our true believers. Why make a stand here? What does it gain us to take these old Russian nuclear silos when we clearly cannot hold onto them?" His face strained, and with effort he was able to pull it into a ghastly smile, complete with old, withered teeth. "I'm sorry my friends. I lied to you. I lied to all of you. The nuclear weapons here were never operational. We have the launch codes, but they simply do not work and we do not have the time to repair them. If they were new, perhaps we would have the expertise as well, but obsolescence is ever foe of the engineer. It is easy to make a better wrench, harder still to make an wrench to turn old screws. To make replacement parts for old computers that never really worked right in the first place."

There was a stunned silence. The guards in heavy Kevlar, toting menacing looking fully automatic weapons did not shift uncomfortable. Either they were well trained, well informed or both. The rest of the room...Well...At least there was no shouting. Yet.

"So what does that mean for us?" spoke up someone from the long table facing Solidus. An old man with long, white hair. "A few hundred soldiers versus a naval blockade and the might of several countries? Are you insane?"

Some stayed quiet, watching, waiting. Some muttered and shook their heads. The soldiers behind them stood at attention, those who could fit into the bunker that is. A quiet coughing emanated from Solidus. No...Not quite coughing. It was laughter. Awful electronic laughter, filled with feedback as the old device inside of his neck wheezed into life once again.

"It means that we're bluffing. It means that we have conned the world into thinking that we are a threat to be responded to. That is why we killed all but one of the UN disarmament team when they found nothing. Rational actors would never have done such a thing, so they assume we have nuclear missiles, so we provoke the obvious response. Ladies and gentlemen, the island never had anything save for a reputation for being dangerous and maybe some rather enormous snakes. However, that is a reputation which we are now harnessing. We did not go to the weapons, but by pretending we have them, the powers that be have been kind enough to bring them to us."

With a quivering finger, he pressed a small, red button next to his hand on the bed. The lights in the room dim and to his left, a screen is projected and a number of familiar and unfamiliar giant robots are shown.

"The real nuclear arsenal in this world exists in three places now. One is the Metal Gear series, which I assume some of you are familiar with," he said, "A ballistics system which delivers nuclear weapons via a mobile platform. For the purposes of this conversation, only one is important, the one we have, but it is not equipped with nuclear technology as that is not its function."

"The second would be limited bomber capability, though we are not concerned with these. Nor do they even warrant a slide, really," he sniffed.

His single eye glints in the darkness and his button pressing became faster paced.

"The third are nuclear submarines. They are mobile launching stations for the nuclear arsenal of this world, and there are eight of them circling within one fifty kilometers of this island. If our plan goes well, we will capture these vessels along with any surface vessel we can get our hands on, bring them back to the island and become an untraceable, unpredictable, lethal force. Our navies will be formless and we will rule the oceans through force. Anything we cannot capture we will sink. Ships take years to create, and in one fell stroke we will cripple the navies of over eight countries in less than a day, but I am getting ahead of myself. A history lesson first."

He cut the silence that followed with the click of that button. A picture of an ancient sailing ship was displayed on the screen from several angles, most historic, one a painting of an ancient ship at sea.

"In ancient times, there existed a people named the Romans. The Romans were not sailors, they were an infantry down to their bones, but in order to secure their power in the Mediterranean, they built the bireme, the trireme and later variations. It was not a ship that would maneuver, it was a fast ship that would ram its fragile foes and deposit borders to kill lightly armed sailors in close combat. Ships today fire at ranges measured in kilometers. Close combat is rare, and overwhelming power at short range is something that a conservative captain would never dream of. Naval technology makes ships that shoot further, more accurately, its guns and missiles trained beyond the horizon, not in front of it. Up close their power is rather limited in a quick attack."

Another click. Quick and precise this time instead of the strain that it initially was. It displays another Metal Gear. Smaller than any of the others by a factor of two. It is sleek, possessed of only a small amount of visible weapons, but two over sized arms tipped with lethal looking claws stand prominent. A long, sleek tail menaces with a thin three pronged hook, like one that would catch a fish.

"Comrades, this is Metal Gear Reme. It is an aquatic, fast attack, close combat version of the Metal Gear series. It has few offensive weapons, with its most powerful only having an effective range of 250 meters. Reminiscent of Napoleonic grapeshot for clearing decks. Think of it like a super shotgun. The claws are made to either gouge holes in the vessel and to let water in while we insert a squad of specially equipped aquanauts to kill any sailors who can think clearly enough to launch a missile of sabotage the vessel while being crushed under the weight of the ocean, or small holes can be made without damaging the hull overmuch, in which nerve agents can be used to flood the ship and kill the crew without damaging the vessel. It gets close to these vessels that are not at all equipped for close quarters combat at high speed and rips into them like a fox ambushing an unwary rabbit. Reme sucks the life blood out of the ship, its most precious resource, it's sailors.

Another click. This time showing a video of Reme dragging a small ship to shore, its legs digging deep into the bottom of the ocean as it pulls the sunken boat with heavy claws.

"Reme is not a fighter. It is a fast ambush predator. It strikes hard and fast, and then...Then it brings its prey home. Prey that we shall salvage on this island, fix and put it to good use. When the impotence of these nations are revealed they will have no choice but to recognize us, the MSF. Men and women shall flock to our banner as our strength is revealed. We shall claim every island, we shall rule the waves and any nation that thinks they can stop us will have their ships sunk in port, their maritime trade paralyzed, and only tiny, unimportant islands to bomb while we shall have entire nations hostage to ensure their good will. We are not making a stand on this tiny island, waiting to die at the hands of lesser men. We will be fostering a new empire. We shall topple these governments and make a world where the soldier shall not be wasted on enemy steel for the greed of old men a thing of the past. We shall stand sentinel over the weak to keep innocent blood from being needlessly spilled. In twenty-four hours the first Reme will be produced with another every two weeks. With the combined arms from our land based guns and Reme it is predicted that we will cripple the blockade within three hours. Three days after that we will have hauled all of the nuclear submarines to port with...Well with the repair of the submarines coming soon after.

A final click, a picture of none other than the famous Solid Snake appears on the screen.

"At big shell, he came, though he was not point man. That was the man code named Raiden, my adopted son, who was turned against me. He will not be a problem again. After all, he thinks I am brain dead. The odds are excellent that Snake will come out of hiding, out of his retirement. The United States shall send its perfect soldier and I..." he says quietly, and one of his guards tears open the front of his uniform, revealing a cybernetic heart, pumping blood in and out of his body in a grotesque mockery of an organ. "I shall have my pound of flesh."

He pauses from a moment and the speaker in his neck bellows a roar, a challenge to all, an old lion defiant.

"Militaires sans Frontieres!"

"Militaries sans Frontieres!" call back the soldiers as they stand, fists to their hearts.

"Libertad o Muerte!"

"Libertad o Muerte!" the masses called back.

The light dims in Solidus' eyes and he sinks back into the seat. "I will listen to questions from my captains, but quickly. I have intelligence that Snake will be approaching soon. When we are done you all know what to do and where to go. The factory for producing new Remes was sabotaged by one of the dead UN inspectors, small but vital parts were removed. Defenses still need to be reinforced, traps need to be set. Radio interference must be maintained save for our channels. Patrols in force need to be set. Once you leave this room, the only way to contact me and others will be via the hard lines, and any intelligent person will begin severing those immediately. So I will hear my captains, but be quick."

Name: Inventory:

Not allowed to attend the meeting, you and a few soldiers watch the speech from the TV from your place in the armory. The complex is enormous, though the majority of what is housed here is merely small arms, old artillery pieces and shells for them. The weapons are impressive though, purchased for a song from weapons dealers. Word in the air that this would be the last big purchase as some sort of bio-metrics system was going to be produced for newly manufactured weapons. It sounded silly, but Solidus believed it.

"Hey Boss," asks one of your privates, "How come you're not at the meeting? I mean, you're a clone of him and all," he says, and makes a vague gesture toward the screen. "How come we're all here? Aren't we important enough?" he asks petulantly.

Name: Backpacker:

This is a bad place. Not at all good. No. The flora and fauna of this place are amazing with unique specimens in abundance. The paths, while not well worn, are clearly marked from when this place was a resort. The resort is bombed out now though. That happened just a week after you got here. Then came the men with guns, though they never saw you. One night that you spent near the beach you were able to witness ships in the distance. The US Navy! You were saved! Men in all black tried to make the short hop from the beach into the forest, but gunfire thundered from the jungle and they were all cut down within a minute. The sharks feasted well on those who didn't even make it to shore, which were most of them. The boats left soon after, leaving you alone.

A month passed and you learned how to avoid the patrols, but a crazed and bloodied woman erupted from the underbrush as you looked for food, taking four years of your life in fright. She spoke hastily, her eyes wide and terrified. She sobbed something in what was probably German, pressed some sort of disk into your hands and said the only word you could understand as the shouts of angry men closed in.

"Please..."

She and you ran in opposite directions. You found her body at the bottom of a ravine, limbs and neck bent unnaturally.

The soldiers have been looking for you ever since.

Start with two genre points.

Name: "Sephiroth"

Sephiroth, or Sephy to his "comrades" when they wanted to laugh at him, was stuck on guard duty again. Everyone was attending this meeting or at least watching. Everyone but him that is. He was stuck guarding Silvo again. You also fix the toilets here, all of them, even the really nasty ones. poo poo rolls downhill, literally. The only person who has been halfway decent to you is Silvo, and how decent that is is probably because you're the only guard that will give him the time of day.

The speech must be wrapping up or over, because guys from your squad are swaggering back like they've got the heaviest pairs in the world. "Hey Sephy, heard the good news? Oh right, you're stuck with him. Maybe we'll tell you later if you fetch us some drinks!" They laugh as they leave.

Your dad may be an rear end in a top hat, but they should treat the son of an important man better.

You got an important dad somehow. Fill it in or leave it ambiguous, your choice. You're about to get relieved for guard duty though, so you got that going for you. You can also talk to Silvo if you want. Also note in your response if you like Silvo and have been treating him well, neutral or badly.

Name: Silvo Firenze

You know. You know and it is driving you mad. They made you lie, they made you say to the camera that they have six active nuclear weapons. Only sporadic conversation with this Sephiroth man has kept you sane. You want to tell, but when you said anything, they called you a liar.

They told you to fix it. Before you were dragged away you did. It should have had safeguards, it should have had dual entry protocols and sober operators, but all the ancient keyboard required was the password and the password was PASSWORD, etched into old, rusted steel for anyone to see. Hundreds of bottles of cheap vodka lay strewn about the room, some broken, some not, but none of them full. Any drunk bastard who could read basic Russian could easily have put it in and fired it off for laughs at its intended target of London. All it would take is some idiot to type that in and a nuclear tipped RSD-10 Pioneer with a range of 5,500 KM would streak through the sky and annihilate the European city. From there it would be five minutes until the world burned. Technically it's not as bad now, it'll just be this island, but London could still be destroyed by someone either malicious or curious.

This was a long range nuclear staging ground in the middle of nowhere. A few turns of the wrench was all it took and this place was operational again. There were five more sites just like this, scattered on the island.

The governments of this world were staffed with idiots, reprobates and children who had no idea about how lucky they had been. How lucky we had all been. And all it would take to set is copying a single word from the etching to the keyboard and London goes boom.

Sadly, you weren't the type of man who could lie with a gun to your head. At least not then. At least you kept your mouth shut. They wanted you to fix it, they made you do it, and when you did they didn't believe you. They didn't care.

Roll spirit to keep from going insane. Failing won't kill you, but it will cause some problems.Depending on the response from Sephiroth, you will either get a +1, +0, or -1 to your dice roll depending if he likes you, doesn't care or treats you badly.

If you keep neutral and don't go evil, I'll start you off with two genre points.

Anyone who decides not to be at the meeting (your choice) that I didn't mention will be able to pick a spot and I'll write a post just for them like I have for others not there, but will not have immediate access to ask Solidus or if you're not important enough, one of his captains a question. Anyone stating that they are not at the meeting will still be on turn one, as is anyone currently at the meeting yet to ask questions.

I'll have a map up with the next post, as I am rather exhausted. Current areas are:

North Beach, West Jungle, South Jungle, East Hills, Barracks/Prison, Armory, Dockyard/Metal Gear Reme Factory, Hidden Bunker. Also if anyone wants to do a shtity MS Paint of that you would be my hero, as I have been helping a friend move all day.

Snake will be showing up at a specific location very soon and will work intelligently to accomplish goals. Have fun everyone.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Wombat and The Bulldozer will of course be at the meeting for they are loyal soldiers of the MSF

Burnside however will be elsewhere, probably at the Dockyard, performing pre-flight mechanical checks on his helicopter before he does his cargo shipping rounds for the day.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 22, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The Baronet – East Hills

Meeting? What meeting? The Baronet is out on a hill looking over the surface levels of the base, tossing a beaten-up baseball with one hand and hefting her trusty bat/RPG-7 with the other. Then she pitches the ball up – swings with both hands – it flies off – and strikes a genome soldier in the head. He topples out of his guard tower with a muffled grunt. Home run. She chuckles, then pulls the baseball out of her back pocket with a flourish. The same ball.

Motorhead – The Meeting

“So uh, where exactly does our intel say Snake's gonna show?”

Motorhead's a little tense, even after the chanting and bravado. There's not a soldier alive that hasn't heard of Solid Snake, who doesn't know what he's done, and the only real advantage they have might be that they're fighting on home turf. The more intel they have on him, the better the chance they can get the drop on him.

The Baronet isn't at the meeting, because she's a Mysterious rear end in a top hat. Motorhead is at the meeting.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Devil Survivor: The Comms Tower

There's something soothing about the bunker at the base of the only link the base has to the outside world. Nobody else to bother Survivor, which means they can keep the place they way they like it: icy, freezing cold. If they were listening to the meeting, they would be bristling at the lack of immediate nuclear annihilation- but they aren't. They're reading a book, carefully, to avoid tearing the pages, one eye on the cameras - one of the few things from this strange time Survivor appreciates. Tiny cameras that constantly stream? So much better than the clunky govno of their day.

Silvo Firenze

Silvo, on the other hand, hurls his book at the wall. Rules and Regulations of a Disarmament Inspector! Well, they sure as hell don't cover "captured by crazed militants, nuclear war imminent, also probably you will poo poo yourself and die, not necessarily in that order!"

He rattles the bars of his cell. "poo poo, man, can I get a cig? Please? I'm dying in here."
I'll let Sephy's response to that determine the bonus/malus to my spirit roll.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
"Sephiroth": Barracks/Prison
"I, uh, I'm sorry si... Sorry, but I don't smoke. But yeah, uh, good news, apparently! Maybe they worked it out with the UN, yeah? It'll.. it'll all be ok, maybe?" Edwin stuttered nervously, trying to turn his hopeless grimace into a smile. "You uh, want some Pocky? They're strawberry." he asked the prisoner, proffering the box of slightly sticky biscuits through the bars.

Guarding the prisoner wasn't too bad, at least. Edwin dreaded to think of what his next lovely assignment would be. Was this really the glorious military life his loving dad went on about? Seemed to Edwin like any dumbass with a gun could do this, so long as they were stupid enough to enjoy this kind of thing. And guns! If only they would shut up about loving guns! They were as bad as his dad, at least, and they weren't even CEOs of firearms corporations.

Edwin sighed. "So what am I supposed to do next?" he asked the approaching soldiers sullenly.

Gilliam-san: East Hills
Gilliam began his sweep. Legwork, searching for clues, it was all part of the job, but it wasn't glamorous, and it made his feet hurt, metaphorically at least. Nothing got his circuits going like being in hot pursuit of a perp, but getting there took time, and a lot of digging. His rotor wheezed a bit before, and he wobbled unsteadily for a moment before it righted itself with a small pop. He has been out of action too long, lost his edge. He took that bullet back on that platform, didn't even see the bastard who did it. Was too busy staring at that sweet-looking dame crossing the fence. Could have sworn he knew her from somewhere... Gilliam's camera refocused itself. He was getting distracted. He had a job to do.

Haile Selassie: North Beach
A shadow, hardly there at all, appeared at the tree line, partially concealed behind the chaotic plantlife.The spectre turned his dignified face towards the sky with a contemplative expression. His instrument would be here soon, he knew it.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Inventory - Armory

Inventory watches the screen as he puffs on his cigarette before turning to the questioning soldier, "Well my good gentlemen, I would like to remind you that Solid is also a clone of our beloved leader, and he is certainly not invited," he then lets off a dry laugh

"But to be more serious about this, They never send our brother into combat with gear, he prefers to do that whole... on site procurement poo poo," Inventory rises from the ammo crate he was sitting on. "And where would the best place to procure such equipment?" He then spins with his arms out pointing around the room, "Right Here!"

"Solidus is no fool, we can not put an accurate timetable on Solids arrival, so we must make it as difficult as possible at ALL times to have this location secured"

"You are all here because he knows you can get the job done without having to hear some blustery speech, you are motivated on your own"

The truth is Inventory had no idea why he was not invited, or the rest of them for that matter. But keeping the men confident in both their own work and not questioning his own worth was clearly in his best interest.

"Though I do wonder, If it hurts him to see me and Solid, to be reminded of the unruined body he once had"

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
The Revenant - Near The Meeting

Solidus switches the screen to Solid Snake. Simple enough. But all of a sudden some of the Genome Soldiers can see a faceless shadow, creeping out from behind their leader's shoulder. Its voice, like a thousand anguished whispers, crawls spider-like into their brains. "The Imperator Desnudo..." As soon as they look twice, it's gone.

The Revenant's physical form is pacing a poorly-lit hallway near the meeting, whispering to itself in a twisted hybrid of Old Norse and Latin. 「The snake of temptation, the eater beneath the world's tree!」 Its joints jerk in painfully odd directions as it walks. 「Shed this skin, and be born anew!」 As Solidus finishes, cries of "Libertad o Muerte!" resound through the halls like a bomb blast. The Revenant pays no attention to them. Hobbling with unnatural speed, its eyeless gaze is focused on something, someone, outside the base.

Saburo Yamada (Backpacker) - West Jungle

Saburo wakes up with a start, covered in a hastily-made camouflage of leaves and brush. "Oh no. No, no, I fell asleep, I'm still here. I'm going to die here I'm gonna die- " He slaps himself before he hyperventilates again. Pure adrenaline had kept him awake for 4 days straight but clearly it had worn off. Dazed and more than a little confused, he clenches his hands and rises into his best impression of a fighting pose. "Come on Saburo, be a man! Do your best! Fight!"

He tries with all his might to psych himself up, but it just doesn't work. His head slumps, defeated and ashamed, against a tree. True, he wasn't hanging from it with a bullet through his head. But this wasn't much better. He finds himself staring at his reflection in the disk. "Look at you. You big dumbass. You had a whole life ahead of you and now what? What the hell are you going to do?" Raising his hands in frustration, he nearly smashes the thing.

But his arms fall before he can do it. That poor woman had trusted him with this disk. And Saburo had been the kind of man that no one trusted with anything. He prepares for a long wallow in self-pity, but then his stomach starts yowling like a boiled cat. drat it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Motorhead

Solidus nods weakly at Motorhead. "An excellent question," he says. "We're not sure about the insertion point, but at some point he will likely try to gain some local knowledge about the island and the situation as it stands. This is why I kept Firenze alive. I doubled the guard there in the hopes of an easy catch, though I doubt it will be that simple. However, with radio down except for very short bursts, it's also possible that he may try to sabotage the radio jammers on the island in order to obtain radio support. I have no doubt that he will eventually try to head for Firenze, though. He is excellent bait. After that I suspect he'll head to one of the nuclear silos. The forces there are light, and are only there to tie him down until more troops arrive."

Baronet

The man screams and falls, not to his death due to the underbrush, but he definitely broke some ribs in the process. After a few minutes he is transported to an aid station. No one says anything though, they are all too terrified.

You get a genre point! That's about as MGS an introduction for an evil bad rear end as it gets.

Wombat and Bulldozer

The din dies out and as questions are asked, Solidus nods gravely to his soldiers. "Very well. All of you know your positions. Get to your stations, but act on your own initiative if it seems appropriate. Take any actions necessary to capture Snake. Kill him if you must, but if you do, get him on ice as soon as possible. I would also like volunteers for extra guards on Firenze and the radio tower."

These two can pretty much go wherever they like, but if you want action soon, one of the radio towers or Firenze is the place to be.

Burnside

Burnside goes through his pre-flight checks for the second time, making sure that everything is ready. It's an old light attack heli with two hard points for missiles and a single forward facing machine gun. It would easily be outclassed by anything new, but it's not meant to fight the new stuff, it's meant to patrol and take on ground forces. It's ready to go at any moment though, and technically it could squeeze in an extra passenger in the copilot's seat. You have no idea where your copilot is at the moment though.

Off in the distance near the horizon you see boats circling. Dozens of them. The island isn't particularly big and there surely are more beyond the horizon and more on their way. Either everything will work as planned, or everything will go bad. Really bad.

You can take a buddy with you anywhere if you want in the chopper, as well as attack from the sky. At this early stage Snake won't be able to fight back as he never enters a place with weapons. Free shots if you can get to him quick.

Devil Survivor

A freezing room and a book is a luxury in the middle of a tropical island. You do hear the answer to Motorhead though, and it does concern you. Snake is probably going to establish communications with the outside world at some point, and he needs to get to one of the jamming towers to do it. There are three, and the coverage isn't perfect, but this place is one of them. It's entirely possible that he may come here straight away.

A voice interrupts your reading. "Survivor one, this is delta. No activity in the jungle. Any activity to report? Over.

Roll brains to notice something on the screen.

Firenze

Instead of a cigarette, you're given...Strawberry pocky. Not perfect, but hey, at least he isn't ignoring or torturing you. He does seem lost in his own little world if you're not actively engaging him though. There's no clock and no natural light. The only thing that changes here are the guards. How long are their shifts?

You hear two more guards approach and they begin to talk about you.

Make that spirit roll at a +2. You're being kinda, sorta nicely treated and you can hear everything said from Sephiroth's point of view. Hope surges at the possibility of rescue!

"Sephiroth"
A few minutes after the briefing

One guard smirked to the other. "We got there word that Snake is probably coming here. Double the guards and a few booby traps. No way is he getting in here."

The other guard looked nervous. He was one of the smart ones. "Hey man, just be careful. He's probably after him. I just got word from one of the officers that he's coming straight here. And you're guarding him. Best of luck, man. Our squad is on duty in the hallway in front of here, but if he gets past us, well...You're it."

Gilliam-san:

Gilliam did the legwork. Not that he had legs, but he puttered along as he looked for clues. He focused his lenses. Something...Something off in the distance. The hills were particularly treacherous here after all, and getting closer would be hard.

Roll brains -1 to spot something.

Haile Selassie

Haile Selassie waited stoically. He knew that his instrument would come. Why he could not say. A slow thump echoed through his being. A foot trod this place, a new foot. Then another.

His instrument had arrived. The plan may now go forward.

Through the magic of nano-machines, you realize that Snake is now somewhere on the island. Roll brains to figure out where.

Inventory

A few of the soldiers nod sadly at your remark. "He is getting old after all. And he is sick."

"Yeah. You volunteered to be here after all. Taking organs from you would be...Like..."

"Ungrateful."

"Yeah, ungrateful. Maybe he just keeps you away to keep the temptation away. That would explain it. What a great man," says the guard, and the others nod slowly, reverently.

Men begin to stream in and collect their weapons. You're suddenly busy as men load up for battle. Weapons, knives, extra magazines, grenades and trucks load up with shells. The armory is suddenly looking much thinner than before. Looks like this is it.

Saburo Yamada

No food, brackish water, hunted like an animal, no sleep. Things couldn't possibly get any worse.

He trudged on through the jungle as he looked for food. Just yesterday he barely avoided a patrol, and that made him wary. On he went...

A stroke of luck. About a hundred yards away on top of a bald mountain he saw it. A banana tree. He would be exposed if he went there, but the tree was heavy with bananas, ripe for the picking. He remembered back when this was a resort all of the deserts that were served with bananas. Baked bananas, chilled bananas, fried bananas topped with brown sugar...

Food! I'll give you a genre point if you go for them. If you do, roll finesse to keep from being spotted.

The Revenant

Robes shift jerkily as you hobble. It is interesting to feel the island now. It is not peaceful, but you gain a certain clarity as almost all of the minds turn to a single thought at the command of Solidus. The ones that don't stand out against the mental fabric of the island, like tiny flecks of black paint on a white canvas. Easy to make out, stark in their appearance.

One fleck in particular catches your attention. Darker than black, a well of power much like Solidus. He has the blood of psychics on his hands. You can feel the screams of one in particular. A man in some sort of mask, but an insect at the same time. The image of a predator fills your mind. A mantis. It clings to him and you feel the pair on the island, though the Snake is unaware.

A new mind enters the island, though you can't yet touch it, you are only aware of its presence. Roll brains to see where it is. Also gain a genre point for the cool intro.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

The Bulldozer and Wombat - The Base

"Awight' What's the fuckin' plan then boss, we ride up on this c*** and gun him down?" Said Wombat

"The Bulldozer, recommends, that we find him first. The Bulldozer, feels that our efforts should be to that end. Then, The Bulldozer recommends shooting him until he stops moving." The Bulldozer replied, checking his gun.

"Till he is just meaty chunks?"

"No, The Bulldozer thinks, that if we brought the Snake back in that state, then the Bulldozer and you will be better suited to throwing ourselves off a cliff, then facing Solidus."

"Ah right yeah, Replacement heart and all that poo poo. So where ya wanna go first?"

"It is best, we cover the areas that would best suit our purposes. You should guard the radio tower to our south. The Bulldozer in the meantime, will make sure that our honored guest remains, unharmed."

Wombat is going to take on guard detail at the Southern Radio Tower, and The Bulldozer will go and guard the hostage

Burnside - The Dockyard

All parts accounted for, the guns are loaded, the helicopter is fueled, the checks have been made (And made again, you can never be too sure with old soviet merchandise). He reached for the radio in the cockpit

"This is Burnside, the chopper is ready for a sweep, gonna do sweep of the northern most tower. I got space for one more if anyone wants to check it out, any takers?"

Georgie's gonna take the chopper to the northern part of the island, see if he can spot any vessels trying to make landfall on the beach or on the northern tower. He also is offering a free ride to anyone nearby, any takers?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 24, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
"Sephiroth": Barracks/Prison
More guarding the prisoner? That didn't sound too bad at least. But... Solid Snake? The eco-terrorist? Why would he care about a place like this? Well, this was one of the most heavily defended parts of the island, after the bunker. Even he couldn't sneak through all this, could he? Edwin looked at the assault rifle slung across his chest. He never kept it loaded. He'd fired guns before; it was all his dad wanted to do when he periodically demanded father-son outings when Edwin was younger. He had always hated the noise, and the kick, nothing like as natural as the weight of his shinsakuto gatana. Besides, the thought of actually killing someone? He had never really though it would bother him, back when his only military experience was in video games, but now he wasn't so sure...

Edwin breathed deeply, and turned to the prisoner, "So, uh, the base is probably going to go onto lockdown pretty soon. Do you, uh, need anything before then?"

Gilliam-san: East Hills -> North Beach
---Spot Something: Failure (Average Brains, Difficult, Positive Quality: Perceptive)
The movement was gone before Gilliam could focus his lenses. Well, it was probably nothing hinky, and that jingle-brained skirt of a computer system might scream at him again if he broke patrol for too long. Gilliam increased his rotor speed, and continued his patrol towards the north beach.

Haile Selassie: North Beach -> Jammer closest to Snake's location
---Detect Snake: Success, 5 matching numbers (Good Brains, Positive Quality: Uncanny Knowledge)
A tiny smirk appeared on the Emperor's hard face. He stepped backward into the darkness of the jungle, and vanished.

A man, little more than a shadow, appeared atop the jamming tower, his hands folded behind his back. He gazed imperiously at the circuitry below, visiting his justice upon the device keeping the island under Solidus' shroud of darkness. A gift, and a test: the instrument would be able to speak to the outside world, but no doubt reinforcements would come to investigate and repair their tower.
---Disable the Jammer closest to Snake's location: Success, 4 matching numbers, matching toppers (Good Brains)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Woodman: Meeting -> Southern Beach

Caroline listens to the speech, stoicly, but when the ultimate soldier is mentioned, it raises a faint sneer out of her, and she turns away. Snake, who had dismantled Big Boss's plans, who had served as a relentless dog for America, who had crushed the hopes and dreams of so many others like her and her group, rebels against the interests of the rich, the hyper-elite, those who would hoard power endlessly and at any cost.
It would be hubris to think she could take him, considering the names of those he had triumphed over, and the thousands of nameless soldiers on top of that, but perhaps... perhaps. He'd be fighting her in her home, her place of power. Nothing for him to shoot but leaves and wood, the very ground and air filled with her weapons... yes, perhaps. She'd have close to the best chance, certainly.
Her sneer slowly turns to a grin, Solidus prattling on about the plan, and she nods quietly to herself. Yes, today would be a very, very good day for Snake to meet his end. Yes indeed.

As the meeting winds down, she looks back at the others, and clears her throat.
"Tactically, Snake prefers insertion into something like a pump room or similar outbuilding from the water. Particularly through passages usually thought well-protected, grated or sealed. Soldiers in the southern buildings near the river mouth should be on high alert for a man wearing a non-standard-issue dark wetsuit, and patrols should be required to radio in to confirm status at regular intervals. I am going to be making sweeps of the area for the next several hours."

She nods, then turns smartly to head out, passing through a handful of checks before stopping just outside the outer guardhouse. She breathes deeply, smiling, and the trees rustle without wind, and, slowly, those nearest to her bend and creak, their trunks leaning, leaning down, the branches bundling up, still creaking, and a long web of vines filter down, weaving into a sort of rope near her.
She steps up, into a small loop, holding onto the rope, facing south, and exhales, and the trees snap back straight, and she's flung into the air, far up and over the canopy, arcing up and over and back down, quietly back into the trees, and then up again further on, over and over, quietly making her way towards the river mouth with no other trail than rustling leaves and the occasional flights of birds.

Meanwhile in a mysterious bunker...

A lone hand grips a radio, listening in on Solidus' speech, fingers and knuckles going whiter and whiter.
"Libertad o Muerte!"
With a resounding crunch, the radio shatters, and a low voice growls in the darkness.
"Snaaake.... SNAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!"

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Inventory

Lacking any advanced knowledge, Inventory heads out with the men to go protect the Southern Radio Tower. All the buildings and equipment in the area make it an excellent area for someone to try and sneak in, and it does not involve him carrying large gear through the jungle.

"Alright Gentlemen, It is time to welcome Solid to the family reunion!"

Even if it is not the first location to get hit, He can use the time to set up some surprises for Snake

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Survivor

Survivor glances at the screen, and frowns, not that anyone would be able to see it. What is that? Something definitely ducked just off screen there. Well.

Survivor rises to their feet, grasping their battle-flag in hand. "Think I saw something. Keep on patrol, I'll handle this one myself."

For a moment, they almost take the radio with them. But what could they possibly need it for? It is probably just a monkey.

At least it'll be something to kill.

KPrime !r 1d8#4
Krysmbot KPrime, 2 = 2, 7 = 7, 7 = 7, 3 = 3

Silvo

Silvo collapses back against the bars, spent. "Just get me some cigarettes, please. However you manage it. And maybe another book. A comedy."

KPrime !r 1d10#6
Krysmbot KPrime, 9 = 9, 4 = 4, 10 = 10, 4 = 4, 3 = 3, 1 = 1
pair of 4s means Silvo manages, despite his crap spirit, to not freak out.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Motorhead – The Base

Motorhead makes his way out – blocking the door for a moment with his huge metal frame – and revs his engine on the open concrete. Solidus is a smart guy, right? So we don't have the nukes, but we're gonna get 'em, right? There's only one real reason he got into this business, and if he-- if MSF can't get its hands on those weapons he is outta here. Still, Solidus knows what's what...

Well, he ain't exactly made for thinking – there's practically smoke coming out of his head. Let's simplify things: Stop Snake, then we get the nukes, then everything's a-okay.

He rolls up alongside Wombat and The Bulldozer as they prepare to leave. “Either of you want a lift?”

The Baronet – East Hills

Down below the ants are swarming over the base. Playtime's over – it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel now. Still, the real fun should start soon... just have to listen for the gunfire. And the screams.

Motorhead will go with either Wombat or Bulldozer, it's your pick Nabster. The Baronet is just chilling until Snake properly shows up.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wombat - The Base > Southern Radio Tower

"gently caress yeah I'm down. Walking is for chodes, let's roll."

I choose Wombat, to the Southern Radio tower, with the Motorcycle Cyborg.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
The Revenant - Near The Meeting

The tortured wavelengths of the Revenant's mind converge on one black spot, this inescapable singularity, this 「serpent 」 Everything, even the skeins of time itself, seem to be twisted and bent around the figure. A low cry in a long-forgotten language bursts out from the hood. 「Destiny. Time. Purpose. OURS! IT WILL BE OURS!」 Its limbs press on with even greater resolve towards its target.

Brains roll to Find the Snake: Success, 3 matching. Applied Positive Quality (Brains): 100 Minds in One!

Saburo Yamada - West Jungle

Saburo stares transfixed at the golden bounty, drooling all over his brand-name hiking shirt. How bad could it be? After setting the disc aside, he spits on his hands, stretches from tip to toe, and attempts a half-remembered pantomime of the climbs he did in gym class. Shockingly enough, it works. Saburo squeaks his way steadily up the banana tree. Soon the delicious aroma of fruit is inches from his nose. Overcome by greed, he grabs at a particularly large bunch. A particularly loose bunch. Its grip on the tree breaks and the hapless backpacker crashes thunderously into the brush! He's not too injured and he's still clutching a decent meal to his chest. But the sound has probably alerted the whole island.

A moist, rotted banana falls square on his face as he's recovering. Just perfect.

Finesse roll to go unnoticed: Failure. Applied Negative Quality (Finesse): Butterfingers. I'll be honest, I wanted him to fail this one.

edit;wrong link on Saburo's roll

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 26, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The Baronet – East Hills -> West Jungle

Watching. Waiting. Listening. Waiting. Wa-- there's a crack and a crash in the jungle to the West, far side of the base. Someone fell out of a tree, and loudly at that. Would the ultimate soldier, Solid Snake, fall out of a tree? Well, maybe, but he wouldn't be over in the jungle, would he? Which means someone else has done something stupid. Might as well kill some time, then... with a snap of her fingers, she's there, appearing in a burst of fire and choking smoke. She stands astride the lost traveller with her RPG-7 pointed nonchalantly at his head.

“Well, well, what do we have here?” She leers at him, grin wide. “A mouse has gotten lost in the viper's nest, and just when the serpent was paying a visit...”

She leans down so they're face to face. “Now, which one would you like me to feed you to?”

Motorhead – The Base -> Southern Tower

Motorhead pops a wheelie and then they're off, smashing through the jungle to the South and coming to a screaming stop on the concrete pier.

Rolls:

Hear Saburo breaking stuff (Brains): 4d10 14

Go to Saburo (Spirit): 4d6 17

I should've used the N#XdY code, but if you click the links I've got matching pairs on both (3s, then 5s).

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 26, 2015

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Burnside - The Dockyard

Burnside goes through a quick pre-flight checklist, gases up, flicks switches and then lifts off into the air. There were a few in the air already, but most were grounded to hide their strength.

It took a few minutes for the radio to be used and then answered. It was coming down only at randomly set intervals for less than fifteen seconds at a time. Solidus never did let your average soldier know that they were up against the possibility of AI's, but low tech methods helped preserve operational security. After all, encryption is nothing to an AI. Without that reasoning, it did make Solidus' methods look rather paranoid. It made communication rather hellish as well.

"Roger, Burnside. You know the next check in. Over," was all the radio operator said.

As he lifted off into the air, he was greeted by a bright, cloudless day. The air pollution in this area of the world was rather minimal as the closest nation, Somalia, was still burning brush and dung as their main fuel sources, still puttering along as a failed state. This gave Burnside a bird's eye view of almost the entire fleet that circled the island.

So many ships. So many thousands of soldiers. More closely though he saw that freaky Woodman tree hopping, as he had seen a time or two before, though he quickly outdistanced her.

It was only a few scant minutes until he came to the north tower and set down on a landing pad near it. The ride was uneventful, though he could see soldiers scurrying about as they prepared. Soon there would be stillness as they waited, but for now they moved quickly and efficiently.

You're now at the north tower.

The Bulldozer, Wombat and Motorhead

Bulldozer boarded a black surplus pickup truck complete with mounted machine gun in back. It really had that Somali technical look going for it, what with the terrible paint job and the fact that it looked like it had been repeatedly smacked with a sledgehammer. It was perfect for the island with its awful terrain as a fast attack vehicle. Plus it looked mean. A soldier hopped on the back to man the m60, as a good m60 on the back of a truck should never go unmanned.

Motorhead looked meaner. Wombat hopped onto the cyborg and they zoomed off, eating up ground at a startling rate. As Bulldozer stopped at the prison Motorhead and Wombat kept going, kicking up dust as the motortrike enhanced man blazed down the path with Wombat.

All three are heading out. Motorhead and Wombat arrive at the south tower and Bulldozer arrives at the prison. Everyone is on high alert and have sunk into defensive positions. You can either stay with the guards or visit Sephiroth and Silvo.

Haile Selassie

Haile knows where Snake is heading. Far beyond the sight of mortal men he moves, for this jammer is the one that best covers the prison. He sees him miles away in the distance. He moves, stops, adjusts his camouflage which changes on its own, moves, waits again. He has already killed three soldiers and passed far, far more. As the comms tower goes down he pauses. It was not part of the pattern. He stops suddenly, checks his surrounded, moves to one knee and touches his ear. Haile can read his lips before his head turns to obscure the rest of the conversation.

"Yes Otacon, I can hear you."

He looks downwards and the muscles in his neck move as he speaks. Nothing to read. A minute moves by before he pulls out a pair of binoculars and looks through it. Possibly at you? Then he moves faster than before. Not exactly a straight line toward your position, but fast. If he keeps that pace he should be here in less than twenty minutes.

Snake is on the east part of the island and is moving rather rapidly through the hills. He's still moving toward the north tower. He'll be there next round.

The Baronet and Saburo

Saburo's stomach gets the better of him and he quickly makes his way up the hill. A military man would be worried about silhouetting, being easily spotted on the top of a hill. A military man may have crawled their way up if the hunger was bad enough. Saburo is not a military man.

Anyone looking can see him for miles, and the crunch and crack of the underbrush give away your position. Still, the bananas are sweeter than anything you have ever tasted, even though some are overripe. He finished two in his haste to fill his belly, but a burst of fire flash blinds him. His vision clears, but he hears her first.

“Well, well, what do we have here?” She leers at him, grin wide. “A mouse has gotten lost in the viper's nest, and just when the serpent was paying a visit...”

She leans down so they're face to face. “Now, which one would you like me to feed you to?”

The vision of her clears, the RPG is pointed inches from his face, and her terrifying visage is worse than any patrol of soldiers.

And all that he has in his hands are a bunch of bananas.

Saburo, roll spirit to avoid freaking out.

Roleplay it out or use some opposing rolls if you feel like, you know, combat, or running away, or whatever. Just so you know, everyone has agency and you can't social combat other players to get them to do what you want. You can apply negatives to their next roll though with social combat and of course, you can always just threaten to murder the offending person, and then the other player can choose to do so not to get murdered.

The northern communication/jamming tower is down. It can be repaired, as it still physically exists. Why it went down is a mystery.

Gilliam-san

Gilliam-san moved as quick as his rotors could move him toward the northern beach. He was careful to avoid soldiers and the few predatory animals that still existed here. As he arrived a helicopter descended. He knew that if he went onto the beach the sand would be terrible for traction and he could easily be spotted. If he stuck to the treeline he could easily patrol, probably without being spotted.

Gilliam is now at the beach. There's no real cover at the beach itself though and even though he's small, he is rather conspicuous if he decides to get right up on the sand though. Let me know if you do that for whatever reason.

"Sephiroth":

Sephiroth was used to waiting. As a guard that was what he did after all. He waited, he guarded, he sometimes talked to the prisoners, and even in some abstract way he knew that there was that whole blockade thing.

Now he waited as a soldier. This was entirely new. He wasn't alone in the technical sense as soldiers stayed quiet in the hall as they waited in ambush- In defensive positions. However he was the last line of defense for when Snake would come. The sheer menace of the man's reputation threatened to overwhelm him. He had taken on armies and won. What chance did he have?

Roll spirit not to freak out. Waiting for violence is its own sort of hell.

Karl

Snake was here. Revenge could be sought and had. The radio complained, crackling before it was crushed. The echoes of his furious howl reverberated through the bunker.

Gain a genre point for furious rage! Nice intro.

Woodman

Solidus nods gravely at her and others turn as she speaks. One comment stands out in the din as she leaves.

"If she's right, odds are whatever place he came to is full of dead guys and is primed to blow up. Fuckin' poo poo."

As she strides outside her curious form of not quite brachiation propels her across the island faster than any truck and almost as fast as the bird flies. In fact she overtakes even some of the most startled ones. Tropical birds flee in all directions in her wake in an explosion of colors.

Oddly a man seems to be standing on top of the tower, caught out of the corner of her eye as she descends into the foliage once more. When she ascends again though, he's gone. All that's left is a slowly descending helicopter.

The beach is on the north end, so I'm assuming you're going there. If not, let me know in the OOC thread and I'll change that. for you.

Gain another genre point for interesting use of freaky tree powers and knowledge of how Snake operates. Sadly Snake is rather predictable.

Inventory

"Yes sir!" echo his men. They all salute, ready to fight for the cause they believe in, ready to follow the man named Inventory to victory. There are crews managing the place, so it isn't left unmaned nor understaffed. A few trucks are loaded up with men and off he goes in the middle of the pack, ready to defend. The jungle passes by in a flash as the armed caravan works its way forward.

Easy movement to the south tower.

The Revanent

In his/her/their minds' eye the Revanent can see Snake as he takes a knee. It's uneven ground-eating gait is forgotten. The flesh is forgotten as he gleans information directly from the mind of the Snake. The other voice isn't one it can read, but he does hear its nervous echoes in Snake's mind, like sound pining off a wall.

"Yes Otacon, I can hear you.

"That's great, Snake. Did you already take down a tower? That has to be some sort of record, even for you."

"That's the thing. I didn't. It went down on its own. I'm going to investigate. We might have some third parties working on the island ahead of me. Maybe special forces?"

"As far as I can tell, no. There's still too much political infighting. Too many politicians in the pot to form a quick coalition."

"Right. I think I'll go and see if its a trap. It'll be interesting nonetheless."

"Okay Snake, be careful. I'm here if you need me."

The extra success gets you a snippet of the conversation! You are homing in on him and will be within striking distance next round.

The Revenant learns that as long as the comm tower is down, Snake adds a small penalty to anyone fighting him from the intelligence he's getting from Otacon in the areas that it covers (North beach, north comm tower and the prison). Blocking it or changing it by other means (such as psychic) can work though. If he doesn't know what he's dealing with, he won't get the bonus as well.

Survivor

Survivor stands up to exit the freezing tower, but just before he leaves a few things happen. First the lights, the TV and and the fan shut off with a horrible clunking sound. Second, you get this annoying high pitched whining in what passes for your ears. Not enough to hurt or hinder, but definitely annoying and telling of something that just happened. Third, a helicopter seems to be descending. Lastly, and most strangely, a woman seems to be hopping above the treeline while spooking an enormous amount of colorful tropical birds. Woodman to be sure. Maybe they know something you don't?

Not sure which tower you were at, so I'll just place you at the north one where so many (including Snake) are going. If you don't want to be there just let me know and I'll rewrite this to suit you better.

Silvo

The fluttering in his heart calming over the minutes, Silvo doesn't get exactly what he wants, at least not immediately, but the knowledge that there is a rescue attempt on the way keeps him from losing it, at least for now.

A couple things just so everyone knows:

The northern comms tower just went down. As long as it is, Snake can continue unhindered to his destination. Fixing it will deny him radio help in the field.

The scenario is set up so you can do damage to Snake at this point. You'll need three matches to do a single point of damage on him (which is usually done by getting four of the same number), so while the odds are bad that you can hurt him, you can still hurt him. Right now the idea is to drum up genre points. Also Snake can't hurt you on your first action when meeting a primary character. So go nuts.

If one of you gets a wild hair you can commandeer the one existing Metal Gear Reme and gently caress up the entire fleet Rules of Nature style so everyone isn't just hanging around doing nothing. It's located on the eastern side of the island and is ready to go at any time. Just ask Solidus first. Genre points abound for doing it with extra points for particularly flashy descriptions.

Also somewhere on the west of the island is a person (a certain backpacker) who has an essential component for creating more Metal Gear Remes. In this scenario it's actually possible to capture/kill Snake and still lose if the disk isn't somehow obtained. Creating more Metal Gears is essential for the good ending. Looks like someone has found him though. :v:

Fighting Snake will reveal his strengths and weaknesses which you can use to your advantage later on. Fight smart! Die bloody!

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 27, 2015

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

(It was Wombat heading to the Southern Tower whilst hitching a ride on Motorhead, Bulldozer was heading to the Prison)

Wombat and Motorhead - Southern Radio Tower

"And we are here! Never fear the god drat motherfucking Wombat is here, hide your wife and hide your kids"

Said Wombat, to no one in particular. Looking around and seeing no one else here but Motorhead, he just shrugged, got his gun ready.

"Wombat tagging in, beginning patrol routine."

Nothing fancy here, Wombat is gonna do his job. Probably badly, it's what he does but he will do it anyway.

The Bulldozer - Prison

Meanwhile two soldiers were having a smoke break by the door to the Prison

"Sooo, who else we got, we got that 'Sephiroph' guy, a couple of soldiers from Sector B, anyone else heading in?"
"Well I heard we're getting that Bulldozer guy."
"Bulldozer Guy? What Bulldozer guy?"
His companion sighed, "Okay look, you'll know him if he shows up but just-"

And then the doors were kicked off their hinges, sending both of the on duty guards flying. Enter the Bulldozer.

"FINALLY! THE BULLDOZER, HAS RETURNED, TO THE PRISON COMPLEX!"
"Dude what the gently caress, we just fixed those doors the last time you did that!"
"The Bulldozer Apologises, Perhaps you would share what you think"
"I thi-"
"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK." He yelled, swaggering off to go stand watch over the prisoner. Leaving a bewildered entrance full of guards in his wake.

The Bulldozer does his Bulldozer thing. Kicks the door in, shouts a lot, and then he will go and quietly stand guard over the hostage.

Burnside - Northern Radio Tower

Burnside does what he does normally on these days, do a sweep around the Northern Tower for any sign of any infiltrators, drop off any requested supplies and head back for the next pick up. Today it just seemed to be the former, and waiting was making him antsy.

He didn't seem to find any infiltrators yet, what he did see though was what seemed to be an entire naval blockade creeping steadily closer to their island. Burnside wouldn't lie, it made him really extremely nervous about his prospects today. Particularly his prospects of getting out of here with his hide intact, and preferably not getting tried as a war criminal, that would be swell too.

He found himself ruminating about the reasons he took this job. The pay was better then anything he would receive otherwise, most soldiers spent it on booze, guns or gambling, but Burnside had plans. He was saving up his cheques for one thing and one thing only, getting a little house by the seaside and living out his days in peace. Maybe even a dog, he was always a big fan of Labradors his aunt always kept a bunch of 'em. The memory made him feel comfortable, but the crackle of the radio bought him back to reality.

When he was just doing helicopter work for a group of dudes who looked kinda shifty it was fine, he would do his bit and do whatever they wanted him to do, and then when all was said on done he would stash his pay for safe keeping and keep on saving, it was a system he was okay with and it helps him ignore that nagging voice that always pestered him with 'Why are we gathering so much old Soviet armaments on this tiny island?'. But then recently, well everything started getting out of hand, it started with the shooting of UN Inspection Teams and now it seems to be ending with staring down the barrel of a freaking full scale navy embargo from what honestly looked like the entire world.

"So much for my retirement plan... Maybe I should consider a career change."

It was when the Northern Comms tower went down that he realized that now was not the time to self-reflect. Now was the time for action.

Look for snakes, feel doubt, begin to sink into regret. Burnside can wallow in terrible terrible decisions later, for now he still has a job to do. The moment someone gives the word on the guy's position Burnside is taking off to rain down death from above. Well more likely moderate inconvenience from above but you get the idea.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 27, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
"Sephiroth": Barracks/Prison -> Warehouse
---Resist Freakout: Success, 2 matching numbers (Poor Spirit)

Edwin breathed deep and calmed himself. Like a mantra, he told himself that this was the most well defended part of the base, he would be fine. "Alright, I'll be back in a little while," he told the prisoner, beginning to walk away. He turned a moment later, "Don't, uh, try to escape. Please," he said as he scurried past the guards towards the supply warehouse. There should be cigarettes there, right? Edwin was terrified of the quartermaster, and the number of guns he carried around reminded Edwin of his dad, but he probably wouldn't be around, and it wasn't as if he was stealing, if it was for the prisoner, right?

Gilliam-san: North Beach
Gilliam was thinking about a dame as he strolled, well, flew over the North Beach treeline, peering disinterestedly across the sand out into the crystal ocean. Well, he never really knew the lady, but Gilliam wasn't ashamed to admit that he had ogled her from after, her skin pale in in comparison to the paint of the Big Shell. They called her the enemy, but Gilliam knew that he could never have brought himself to shoot a bit of skirt with such long blonde hair and killer hips, wrapped up in a skintight suit. A shame about her nasally voice. Come to think about it, shame that she shot him.

Gilliam continued his patrol, preoccupied with his internal monologue.

Haile Selassie: Jammer -> Prison
Now was not the time to confront the instrument. He had too much yet to do. Elsewhere on the island, a shadow grew and shifted inside a darkened cell, where the pacing UN inspector struggled to stay sane. Haile Selassie stood in the darkness, watching the guard, child that he was, speak to the prisoner. He watched silently as the guard walked away. When the footsteps had faded, and the prison was quiet, the Emperor spoke, his rich voice quiet and dusky, "Hello, Inspector.

---Hide in the shadows of the cell: Success, 2 matching numbers (Average Finesse, Positive Trait - Hard to Spot)

He's going to stop teleporting around for a while and hang out here until Sephiroth gets back or the guards come to check out what's going on.

(No genre points for Haile helping Snake out or Sephiroth declaring that he never keeps his gun loaded?)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Inventory - Southern Tower

Upon realizing the northern tower went down, "drat it, seems I misjudged"

He goes to his radio and calls some of the remaining soldiers left at the Armoury

"This is Inventory, " he barks into the radio, "Snake is likely only a few miles off of your position. I want you to radio in to me every 30 minutes starting now. Understand?"

He then turns to the others, "Alright men lets get things ready for our guest."

Set up an Ambush: 5#1d8 4 3 8 2 8

if my Ridiculously Prepared quality applies I succeed. if not I at least get one topper for what its worth :V

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Everyone at the north tower

A man emerges from the treeline of the jungle as multiple people converge on the north tower. Muzzle flashes erupt from some sort of fully automatic weapon from a raised position about twenty feet back into the treeline. The tower is peppered with small arms fire along with the newly landed helicopter. The glass of the windshield doesn't shatter as the arms fire doesn't seem to be a heavy caliber, but it's only a matter of time before the landed bird takes takes a bad hit. He seems rather unaware of Woodman as she propels herself through the trees. The gunfire stops for a few moments before starting again twenty feet to the left at the floor of the jungle this time. The beach is a kill zone and offers absolutely no cover, but he seems to want to bait people into the jungle for a close up fight.

Primary characters feel free to try and attack Snake. You get a free shot at him for one turn. Secondary characters this is now a kill scene. Snake for some reason unknown to most is giving everyone a -1 dice modifier to everyone around him except Woodman, as she is approaching from a strange trajectory from moving through the trees.

Everyone has an idea of where Snake is.

Everyone else

"-Tower, this is not a drill. Ambush on the road, a dozen dead, Snake headed to the north tower-" call out the radios on the island. It starts abruptly as the radio silence ends on its scheduled time and starts again. Those near the northern tower's radius, the tower itself, the beach, the surrounding paths and the prison get the full five minute panic from a man whose voice goes hoarse and then soft as he either loses consciousness or dies.

Choose if you hear this!

Burnside

As he Patrols the tower gunfire erupts from the forest. He sees bullets stitch the side of his chopper and he's not entirely sure about the damage, though cracks spiderweb out from the window. Still, it doesn't even earn more than a few shots. He seems to be targeting anything that moves. The windows of the tower, the chopper and the few bullets that are shot at Burnside. Sand kicks up fast with thuds and even the angry sound of bullets whizzing by his head tell him that while he's not the only target, Snake is still a pretty drat good shot.

Snake is attacking you! He's not focusing on you so you don't get the -1 penalty to your roll. He's definitely starting to mess up your chopper though.

The Bulldozer - Prison

There's a sort of stunned silence as Bulldozer bullies his way through the guards. Some try to protest, but the sight of his enormous "gently caress off" sized gun puts their arguments to rest. Bluster can take you places, and that place seems to be right next to the prisoner and someone who looks like an anime. He leaves quickly though, muttering something and keeping his eyes down.

Inventory, Wombat and Motorhead

Inventory gets his men together and sets up a number of traps. A number of explosives on tripwires and claymore mines which would funnel Snake through a few obvious places, notably the open roads, are set up. It's fast work so much of it will be sloppy, but It'll keep him from approaching from odd angles for an ambush.

Down that road as your soldiers prepare the ambush come the cyborg-motor trike man, Motorhead, and someone riding on the back of him that you don't immediately recognize. The South tower is getting pretty busy.

"Yes sir," says the man tasked with radio contact. "Hey, something is coming through now," he says, and listens. His can-do cheery attitude turn to sorrow and he shows the first hints of panic.

"S-Snake is on the island, sir. I think he's attacking the north tower," he says. "Do you think we should get some more guns?"

Everyone gains a +1 die to the next encounter at this location.

I'll say that it does indeed apply.

As Gilliam-san loses himself in the past, his sensors pick up the sound of gunfire from above and fifty feet to his right. After a full magazine is expended he sees Snake slide down a tree and into some dense packed flora before opening up again. He seems to be moving backward to draw the people at the north tower into the forest for some reason.

Roll to keep from being spotted if you want. He doesn't seem to notice you yet though, so you do not take a -1 penalty this round.

Haile Selassie: Jammer -> Prison

After disabling the jammers in a mysterious way and disappearing, he reappears in the prison. Now that the jamming device was gone he found it rather easy to move around, appearing and disappearing at will, though in the distance he could still hear the harsh buzz of the other towers grating against his skull. There didn't seem to be much time, and the guards seemed to be shifting to let someone by as he yelled at them. The single guard was replaced with another, but there were shadows in the cell and the lights could always be sabotaged.

[i]I'll say yes on both accounts. Two genre points, one for disabling the tower, one for not keeping the gun loaded.

"Sephiroth"

Sephiroth walks past the guards in the hall as his relief finally shows up, and he is a man with what looks to be an enormous gun and in equally intimidating armor. He's able to slip through the wake that the big man made in order to get some cigarettes. Strangely though the armory isn't exactly empty, but it's close. There's only a skeleton crew here and almost two thirds of the small arms that are normally behind the cage where the quartermaster normally is seem to be gone. In terms of weapons that is only the tip of the iceberg, and surely there should be more in the back, but the place is eerily quiet. An older man nervously shifts through some ledgers and looks up at him. "Hey son, what do you want?"

[i]Sorry about the long wait. I hope that there is still interest. This isn't the normal posting schedule and I'll try to get back to every two or three days.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Burnside

"poo poo, poo poo, poo poo, poo poo!"

Burnside was under no impression that small arms fire could destroy the helicopter. But it could destroy him and that was something he wished to avoid, so when the gunfire from the trees was directed away from him, he very carefully attempted to climb into the helicopter, keeping his head down as much as possible.

"Keep it cool Georgie, it's only an armed gunman, what can go wrong"

Attempting to take off. I think I roll finesse for that, Helicopter Pilot cancels out the -1 penalty so I am rolling 4 dice. 4#1d8 = 6, 4, 3, 8

Gerogie stretched and contorted to try and start up the helicopter from a prone position on the seats, but he couldn't quite reach the controls. Hearing the wizzing sounds of bullets, Burnside immediately ducked back behind the helicopter as another salvo strafed his way for his attempt.

He tuned into his radio. "This is Burnside, I can't get the chopper off the ground whilst this guy is pinning me, requesting assistance!"

I'm not 100% sure how a Kill Scene works, could you give a brief summery if you have the chance?

The Bulldozer

The Bulldozer arrives to take over the guard shift as expected, and he looks rearing to kick rear end. Hearing the sounds of conflict to the south is getting him amped up and rearing to kick rear end. But he had a job to do, so he has to wait.

Bulldozer is gonna hold his position, nothing more to it then that. The hostage is in his cell and nothing at all seems out of the ordinary, why would he need to look otherwise?

Wombat

"Well let's hold here for the moment then" said Wombat, taking a pull of cheap liquor from his flask.

"Maybe if we are really lucky one of the redshirts will get him." He took another sweep of the southern radio tower.

Rolling to look for shenanigans that might happen here. 4#1d10 = 3, 5, 1, 2

"Bah" he said, reaching for his radio, "Wombat here, sector is still clear."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
"Sephiroth": Warehouse
"Uh, I need cigarettes for the prisoner, s-sir. I, uh, I think he might be having withdrawals..." Edwin said, breathing a sigh of relief that the quartermaster wasn't here. "He, um, asked for a book too. Maybe magazines or something if you don't have any?"

Gilliam's daydream popped like hand grenade. The perp! drat, Gilliam chastised himself for letting his memories get the better of him as he swooped lower for a better view of the legendary Solid Snake, pinpointing and transmitting the intruder's coordinates and visuals back to HQ.

Transmitting Information (Average Brains, Positive Quality - Perceptive) Success (2 matching dice)! (Maybe this could assist another character's attack?)

Haile Selassie: Prison
(Going to wait for K Prime to respond before I post his)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Survivor

Survivor doesn't hear any message. Their radio buzzes, uselessly, back in the security room as Survivor walks slowly out of the comfortable cold and into the uncomfortable jungle. Best not to spend too much time out here, they think. Heat is bad.

Survivor doesn't do stealth. They clunks into the woods like the human tank that they are, making no effort to mask the grind of metal on metal. "OY! WHO IS OUT HERE? IF YOU DO NOT SHOW SELF, I WILL SET FIRE TO FOREST! I HATE IT ANYWAY!"

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
The Revenant

The Revenant feels the lives of many small specks, gathering together into a small flame that challenges the Serpent's blot. And some perhaps, that are helping it. "Others. 太多. Many-as-one. Tafari?" Laughter like creaking boards fumes out of the hood and their figure doubles over. "Experior. A TEST, HYDRUS, A TEST! "

A twisted face appears in their mind's eye, which slowly congeals into that of a bespectacled, mouse-haired man. Once, perhaps, a researcher at Gestalt. The face floats away from the physical body and approaches a crackling cord that connects the Snake to somewhere outside the island. As it flies its hair darkens, and a pair of spectacles melts onto its face. It nears the cord and opens its mouth wide, far too wide, and speaks in a familiar nasally tone:

"Snake, this is Otacon! I-I think someone's hacked into our signal. You've got to listen to me, Snake. You remember Big Shell, right? Apparently Solidus had the technology to mimic someone's personality on the codec. Trust me, there's a lot more going on here than you think."

Rolling Spirit to go all MGS2 on Snake and mess with his head in the most illogical ways possible. Success, three matches! With Positive Quality: Extrasensory Domination

Saburo Yamada

Spirit Roll to not freak out: Success, three matches. Applied Positive Quality: Overly Optimistic, though I feel like I should've taken some sort of penalty for how loving scary the Baronet would be.

Oh god that's a rocket launcher and she's fire, she's death, and...oh forget it. So many things have gone wrong, so little makes sense anymore, that Saburo remains oddly calm. He's comforted by the idea that things literally can't get any worse than the Grim Reaper with an RPG-7 pointed at his head.

"Snakes! No, vipers! No, just please, please, I'm only a lost little idiot from Shinjuku. I won't be any fun to kill. You'd just be stabbing through a useless piece of meat." He lays there like someone's who's given up on life. Crazed killers work like bears, right?

Gunfire rings out from somewhere else on the island. "I-I think they're who you were talking about? The, uh, the serpents and vipers?" He then says something he knows he's going to regret. "If you, um, if you let me live it'll be a real hunt then, right? Yeah, yeah, a real hunt. Cobras and vipers and you and it'll all be a great laugh. Eh?" He smiles the weakest fake smile he's made in his entire life. Saburo cherishes the tiniest hope that someone's arrived that can beat the island, but he spends more time thinking about how great his will would've been if he'd written it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Silvo

don't scream don't scream don't scream

Silvo screams. "WHO'S THERE?!"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Haile Selassie: Prison
"A friend, inspector. Like Barney the Dinosaur says, 'We're best friends, as friends should be.' But we won't remain friends if you attract the guards. That would be tragic. Lie to them when they ask what's wrong," the voice in the darkness says, sternly but quietly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Inventory - Southern Tower

"Negative," Inventory replies over the radio, "Just keep us updated on his location as best you can for now - Over"

As tempting as it would to run to the north tower in what is a wild goose chase, Inventory is going to sit by and wait till he hears of visual confirmation

• Locked thread