Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
it was pretty good and the second game let you have a cute dog in your party who was one of the best healers in the game

the first game was ok but didn't have a dog party member and the third game instead of a dog had a big bipedal cat who was al capone's bodyguard and fought using drunken fist. no dog tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
other cool things shadow hearts had:

gay people

cool alt history stories

cool battles

good music

gay people (lotta gays in these games))

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I agree.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
i never got through the third one, the one with the kid detective. not sure if it was poo poo or if i was just burned out from playing ti right after the first one. was it poo poo?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
No

The main plot isn't as interesting but the combat is better since they iterated on the combo system of the second game and it makes enemy encounters more fun.

All the characters are cool even if Johnny isn't as cool as Yuri

Its shorter than part 2 but its also not bloated and the pacing is good. You can do everything in it in about 40-50 hours

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
first game :rolleyes: every heard of koudelka its a pretty poo poo jrpg/resident evil game that shadow hearts is a sequel to

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's too bad the series is over because the next Valentine family member was gonna be Grandpa Valentine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope this series sees a "spiritual sequel" ala that Banjo-Kazooie ex-Rare thing that's happening. Just give me more faux-historical JRPGs.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I got Covenant for 50 cents at a garage sale.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I got SH1 for $40 at a con. But then the disc didn't work, so I had to buy it again for $50

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

All the characters are cool even if Johnny isn't as cool as Yuri

i wish some of the characters in 3 had more personality. too much of their development is in sidequests so you end up with a party of 1-note people like "that guy who is basically joachim" or "that chick that is joachim's sister" or "that dude who is cool and also mexican"

ricardo never left my party once i got him tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aL38KJ5TjE&t=12s

starbarry clock posted:

first game :rolleyes: every heard of koudelka its a pretty poo poo jrpg/resident evil game that shadow hearts is a sequel to

koudelka also did not have a dog, and did not have any gay people in it, tho it did have you go through a welsh monastery with lord dunsany in your party for some reason lol

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It's too bad the series is over because the next Valentine family member was gonna be Grandpa Valentine.

its too bad he said that this was the last one during hildegarde's sidequest cause he'd might as well have been talking about the video game series itself

Slur posted:

I got Covenant for 50 cents at a garage sale.

that's a really good price for a really good game about a wolf, a french puppeteer, a gay pro-wrestling vampire, a demon guy, anastasia romanov, an some german lieutenant all going on an adventure through europe

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
also thanks to whoever mod changed the thread tag for me, i wasnt sure what to pick cause there wasnt a sufficiently gay thread tag for something like shadow hearts

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

shadow hearts looks like a cool gayme, thanks op

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

anybody wanna sell me covenant, everywhere I look it's expensive as heck

first game is cool and good

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

anybody wanna sell me covenant, everywhere I look it's expensive as heck

first game is cool and good

How expensive are we talking?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

That's Okami

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Slur posted:

How expensive are we talking?

50 bucks for insta buy on ebay

edit: tho i guess that's in canadabux. $40 in US

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 24, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zaggitz posted:

50 bucks for insta buy on ebay

edit: tho i guess that's in canadabux. $40 in US

that's not so bad.

Granted the game was going for 10 bucks just a few years ago. Back when you could get the three .hack GU games for cheap as well as Xenosaga 3. King's Field 4 was under 5 bucks back then too.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I played one of these games and it had a spider enemy whose flavor text was that it would sneak up on girls and spit poison into their asses, which would kill them and tenderize the meat, and then they would eat the rear end.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

50 is relatively little for a rare PS2 game.

Speaking of which, I got the Xenosaga trilogy today. I'm looking forward to playing them.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Slur posted:

50 is relatively little for a rare PS2 game.

Speaking of which, I got the Xenosaga trilogy today. I'm looking forward to playing them.

I've got bad news for you.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Oh wait, I was actually combining two monsters, the rear end spider and the one that's obsessed with girls asses are actually two different monsters

http://shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Mutant_Frog
http://shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Venomous_Spider

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Graveyard frog that mutates by feeding on fresh rump meat of young women. It jumps out of the water to catch humans, and spits out its own gut when surprised.

Sounds like my ex-wife :D

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

I've got bad news for you.

What's the bad news?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Slur posted:

What's the bad news?

1 and 3 are decent but 2 sucks and kinda slogs on with nothing interesting happening.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Slur posted:

What's the bad news?

Games are garbo.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
This series had an optional boss who would violate a party member's anus if you lost

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I've never played any but I have them all in a box that has all the xenosaga games and .hack games

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Dryzen posted:

I've never played any but I have them all in a box that has all the xenosaga games and .hack games

someone should kill you and take this box and give it to me

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

woah that's really mean you could just ask

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Dryzen posted:

please give me the box, or hell, just give it to someone who will play them all one-handed while masturbating like I will

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I made it my mission to collect every single major/worthwhile RPG for the PS2. Especially when they were giving them away as freebees for the gamestop sales.

This also meant that I wound up with a copy of Unlimited Saga after buying Arc the Lad End of Darkness and Front mission 4 for 3 dollars total.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mach2 posted:

This series had an optional boss who would violate a party member's anus if you lost

Actually, he would do it whether you lost or won.

The guy who did it was real, too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gama

..he hosed a gay pro-wrestling vampire...and it powered the vampire up..

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Dryzen posted:

Hey, if you actually are planning on relinquishing those copies of the .hack games, I'd be willing to take them off of your hands, if you do not mind. May I have them please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

If you're gonna mention the sex jokes don't forget

http://shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Mournful_Demon

"the protrusion in the nether regions represents scorn". He swings in at you with this of course.

THe whole series is awesome but three is where it starts to have the story get much less involving, and I think covenant would probably would not be as appealing unless you played 1 first. I'm totally biased because I loved the first one and was thrilled there was a sequel which played better and was a great sequel to the first one story and gameplay wise. 3 is a good game but i didnt like the characters as much and i think some of the sidequest stuff goes off the rails. Gameplay wise each gets better and better and they all have some really great endgames too so I knew I wanted to see what the games led to in this weird fantasy 1900s that doesn't let its dippy jrpg mannerisms get in front of its crushing historical brutality.

koudelka I got after enjoying shadow hearts and while i played to the last battle I have very little to remember about it. Its not something I would recommend but I wouldn't really be able to say much about it besides its a survival horror/jrpg combo with some cool supernatural details but really barebones in alot of design.

• Locked thread