Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1 b
2 d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
BD

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
What do you see?

B. Discipline beyond expectations

How do you feel?

D. Doubtful. Why this campaign in particular?

It was a good lesson, and we should be thankful to Chimon for teaching it to us. Actually facing an opponent or opponents is different than training. Also, our master does not want to fight, and that is a warning. This is likely going to be bullshit.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
1. C Will to Triumph. Their discipline is certainly surprising, but the root of their discipline is a dedication to fight for Lord Takeda. He seems like a considerate, trusting leader.

2. D Why has he called two mountain monks from their studies?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
D
A

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Phwoar, sorry for the slow response, had a busy last few days. Update upcoming later today!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

"Why now?" the words come out of you, nearly unbidden. But the thought is heavy on your mind - for the years you have spent with your master, the Takeda patriarchs had left you alone. Only the year before Harunobu had decided to expand the clan's lands into Shinano, and had only requested prayers to Hachiman and Fudou from all monks in the province.

"Lord Takeda," Genmon begins, choosing his words carefully, "pleased that the prayers I and my fellow monks had given to the gods and Buddha had borne fruit, now desires that I accompany him and his generals when the army marches forth, to lecture on various sutras and doctrines." He chuckles. "The Zen monks will be unhappy when they hear about that."

Lectures? Sutras? "Really?" you ask, half-suspecting it a lie.

Genmon laughs. "Oh, Lord Takeda certainly wants my company on campaign, but it will not be to lecture on the divine secrets. That will ease the hearts of his Zen monks!" He gets to his feet, and you jump to yours, your aches forgotten in the excitement. He makes his way outside of the palace gates, and as you leave the shouts of the trainees disappear behind the stone walls. Genmon waits a few minutes of walking towards the center of Kofu before continuing. "Shinano is divided, unlike Kai, with several landholders who can claim some hundreds or thousands of followers, with a multitude of fortified places and castles between them. By defeating Fujisawa last year Lord Takeda only made them realize that if they remain disunited, they will fall one by one." As you pass through the lanes, surrounded by the houses of the Takeda retainers, you smell so many different dishes being cooked that your mouth waters unconsciously. "Lord Takeda believes my advice will help him prevent that from occurring." It's hard to see, but you've spent enough time with Genmon to tell he's not given you everything he knows.

"When does the army march out?" you ask, trying not to speak too loudly as you pass through the crowds closer to the heart of Kofu's town center. The Imagawa, Hojo, and others would love to know that information. "Soon," Genmon replies, and you find yourself outside one of the loudest and most smoke-filled buildings you've yet come across. Sou is the name painted on the sign. A smithy, and a very large and productive one at that. "You've done well with the bokken so far," Genmon says, "but you need real arms and armor now."

The man in charge is Sou Fujio, a man much smaller than you'd expect for being a direct retainer to the Takeda and a samurai in his own right, being in charge of ensuring proper weapons and armor make their way into the Takeda armories. Though he's swamped, he can easily get you work worthy of ashigaru, seeing as Genmon's known to the daimyo. But anything more than that would cost the two of you, and Genmon was never really flush with cash.

What do you get?
A. The basics, same as any ashigaru recruit. Spear or sword, Jingasa, and breastplate.
B. Mid-range. Spear and Sword, Kabuto, Karuta breastplate and limb accessories. (Note: You will owe a goodly amount of money for this)

After you've made your decision, you're both told your equipment will be ready to pick up in two days. Two days of freedom, two days of practice, or two days of study.

What do you focus on while waiting?
A. Practice. You won't let another man beat you like Chimon did.
B. Study. You're about to enter the murky realm of war.
C. Explore. You've never been in a town this size before, who knows what you'll find?"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A, B

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
A, C

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
A, C Duty would call for us to study or practice, but we've known nothing but simple mountain life. The city awaits!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1 A
2 A: In 100x Earth's gravity would be preferable, but I'm not too picky.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Dammerung posted:

1 A
2 A: In 100x Earth's gravity would be preferable, but I'm not too picky.
No senzu beans for you, mister :colbert:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
B, A

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A,A

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
A A I'd rather not die

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A & B Get the basics, but we should learn of anything about the places we're going; roads, rivers, caverns, etc. Whatever can get us to avoid a direct engagement.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 19, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A & C - Lets find a seedy tavern and get shitfaced

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Friar John posted:

No senzu beans for you, mister :colbert:

...can we get a Kienzan...?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
AA

We won't be making strategy. We might have to kick some rear end.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A, A

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Back at the Shingon monastery, Genmon prepares to return back to your hut, to pick up some necessary items. He'll be gone a few days, to leave you without direct supervision, but your ardor when you tell him you desire to practice makes him smile. He leaves Kofu that very afternoon. The Shingon monks, however respectful they are of Genmon, are less so to you. You are still given your small room, but now junior monks and servants boss you around, give you only meager helpings of rice gruel and pickled vegetables, and generally treat you like a nuisance. It's something a bit humiliating. Of the other guests, only Chimon treats you as more than an unwelcome irritant. The first night alone he shows you a few variations on the stances Genmon taught you - how lowering your body can both improve your stability but also slow you down, and how to decide what's more important.

But the next day you're able to pick up your equipment.

It's simple - about as simple as possible. But it's all marked with the Takeda mon - to mark you as an ally when battle begins and weapons flash. You opted for the sword over the spear, so you imagine you're probably safe from being thrown into a spear corps, but who knows what the campaign will bring? When you get back to the Entakuji you quickly find an out-of-the-way part of the garden to put on the armor, and Chimon helps you with unfamiliar ropes and knots. The dou isn't as heavy as you expected, but in the rising heat of the afternoon you begin to wonder how it would feel in the summer, lacquered black as it is. But with Chimon's pointers, you quickly figure out how to best sit your armor on you, for best protection and ease of movement. But though you're grateful for the armor, it's not that which has your attention.

It's about as simple as a sword can be. There's only the smallest maker's mark on the handguard to show where it came from. But it sits so differently in your hand than you're accustomed to. The bokken had weight to it, and holding it felt like a terrible chore - this sword is about the same size, and feels lighter, though it can't be by much. You practice a few swings, Chimon watching without comment. You continue for several hours, until Chimon leaves for the evening meal, leaving his staff in the garden with you. You take a moment to catch your breath in the moonlight, the new armor still novel as you rap your knuckles against the surface. You sit down next to the staff, and notice something strange peeking out from under the iron sheath on one end. Looking around, seeing no one near you, you reach out to touch it - rice paper. You slowly pull the rolled sheaf out from under the metal cap, revealing a small note.

The hand is tiny and cramped, but still legible. The information on it is extensive, and as you go through it, your heart drops. The troop dispositions of the Imagawa, the Hojo, the Takeda, and more, all are collected, as well as guesses about the campaigns of the year. But lacking is any notice of who the note is written for. Chimon is a spy, but for whom?

What do you do?
A. Nothing. Chimon has helped you, and was related to Genmon somehow in the past. You can trust him.
B. Keep an eye on him. Try and tail him, make sure he doesn't meet anyone suspicious or try to leave the domain.
C. Confront him. Who is he working for!
D. Inform the authorities. With this note you could easily convince a magistrate to lock Chimon up for more important people to deal with.

Updating before I get some teeth removed!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

E- Ambush him and beat him until he tells us who he's spying for!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Be straight with him.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Wentley posted:

Be straight with him.

Yes! And join his faction!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

B We're no good at combat, and it makes enough sense to simply spy on him. Unless that takes away from our training with the sword...

Would making any decision but A, cut short our training with the armor and weapon?

Amending my vote to A on account of new information. Here's hoping we go demon-slaying.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 29, 2015

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Would making any decision but A, cut short our training with the armor and weapon?
Yes.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
B

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Outrail posted:

Yes! And join his faction!

This please

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
C There's more to this war than we understand, and Chimon seems like a trustworthy source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

• Locked thread