Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Paper Lion posted:

I suggest Brain Powerd :getin:

I wouldn't wish that nonsense on my worst enemies.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I too do not like my worst enemies having nice things.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I wanna know Clawshrimpy's take on the rest of the show. What would he think of the episode with the worry gun?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

boom boom boom posted:

I wanna know Clawshrimpy's take on the rest of the show. What would he think of the episode with the worry gun?

I was really waiting for episode 17 for Planeta's Overskill. We were so close.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just finished episode 22. I'm a little disappointed by the plot turning really generic. The mass-production unpiloted Domis, gotta sneak inside a giant crystal tower to rescue a girl who's being used by the bad guy, big climactic showdown, ancient evil robot, etc. I liked it when the show was about the Exodus.

Also, is Gainer really never gonna wear the outfit Addette made for him? What's your fuckin' problem, Gainer?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I will never forgive Beef Waifu for closing the thread early and depriving us of Clawshrimpy explaining that while he may have gone a little too far, Overdevil-controlled Gainer was absolutely in the right and was the "good guy" of the final fight.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

I will never forgive Beef Waifu for closing the thread early and depriving us of Clawshrimpy explaining that while he may have gone a little too far, Overdevil-controlled Gainer was absolutely in the right and was the "good guy" of the final fight.

YUUPPP!!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am getting through this show very slowly and just finished episode 14 but I want to say that the mech designs in this show all rock. Especially the Dominator, which in one episode has managed to become the best. It just looks so drat weird and it's shapeshifting is the best overskill.

Also, Ana is really good and the most mature character. She is far better than the little kid character has any right to be.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Traveller posted:

Nah, Dougram owns and you should all watch it.
75 episodes is a bit intimidating. But once in a great while I'll be on a Dougram kick and watch some more episodes, just like I did with Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Do they even make animes like that anymore?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haha no

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Incredibly long shows are hella risky these days unless you're adapting something that's already really popular.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes not even then, Assassination Classroom is second only to One Piece in popularity atm but the anime is only going to be 22 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, although I said I was getting through this slowly I just decided to burn through it all in one sitting and I guess ultimately I liked the show, but man the last 5 episodes seemed like a different series altogether. The Exodus was really compelling and perfectly connected to the show's themes but that gets shoved aside for a battle with mecha-satan. Like it still all ties into Gainer's journey to get out of his shell, stop being so self-centered, and actually interact with the world and grow as a person but it becomes increasingly less subtle yet somehow more abstract and the rest of the series did it much better.

First off, Gainer and Sara's friendship with Cynthia is really rushed and not at all well explored and the show really pushes their relationship, since Cynthia plays damsel in distress for most of the arc. Cynthia's alright herself though, and she plays her role of Episode 1 Gainer pretty well especially earlier on but in her case being "stuck" and refusing to act or interact with situations outside of her own inner bubble causes her to be possessed by Satan instead of just kind of be an unhealthy self-centered person. So the comparison gets kind of murky. And then after a few episodes of this (even bringing back the game and showing that Cynthia also uses it escape from having to interact with the world) they just decide to throw the moral in your face by introducing Possessed Gainer who is literally described as just being Gainer from back in the beginning of the series. But that comparison is not so great either because now that he has ultimate power his selfishness manifests in a very different from the beginning of the show, just attacking others for perceived slights instead of locking himself off from the world (even though that was more appropriate to the whole theme of the Exodus). It's not all bad though and it does do a good job of showing how much he's changed particularly in regards to Sara with him being super self-absorbed and shallow about his affections rather than how he acts in the later half of the series. Also, possessed Sara does nothing and is pretty drat pointless, which is disappointing since I thought she was generally handled pretty well throughout the show.

Gain's arc comes across much better. He's contrasted with Asuham who is another character who is "stuck" and static, except his inner bubble he refuses to leave is his obsession with beating Gain and avenging his sister, while Gain has largely moved away from his past and is moving forward. Which culminates with Karin showing up and dragging Asuham away which pretty much gives Gain closure and validates his own Exodus of continuing to move forward and change as well. Also, speaking of Asuham he was pretty much at fault for activating mecha-satan and unleashing it's terrible power on the world all because he really wants to kill Gain for sleeping with his sister, he was pretty drat great.

And in the end I still think I liked those last few episodes anyway, just not as much as the rest of the show. Adette was awesome whenever she was onscreen, Ana proved herself to be the most intelligent character and have the most actual leadership skills despite being 6, and all the dead characters turned out to not be dead after all, except Kids who deserved it. So it was still pretty good.

What do I watch now?

Edit: Well, now that i'm reading my post the fact that I could write this much about it means the show must have done something right with it's themes.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 7, 2015

• Locked thread