Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do YOU count as a World title?
AAA World Heavyweight Championship
GHC Heavyweight Championship
PWG World Championship
Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship
Not listed (please explain)
None of these are real championships, dingus
View Results

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In the Pro Wrestling Champion of the Month poll, Jerusalem asked an interesting question: is the GHC Heavyweight Championship, owned by Pro Wrestling Noah, deserving to be on the same plane as the WWE World Heavyweight Championship? While we can argue all day whether or not the NXT Championship is a world title (it's not), I think this non-scientific poll will help determine the hierarchy of non-American, non-NJPW wrestling titles.

AAA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Current champion: Alberto El Patron

Unlike the CMLL World Heavyweight Championship, the AAA one is treated like it's the most important belt in the company.

GHC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Current champion: Minoru Suzuki

While not as strong a claim as it had during Misawa's lifetime, Pro Wrestling Noah's affiliation with NJPW may raise the title's prestige.

PWG WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Current champion: Roderick Strong

It seems everyone loves Pro Wresting Guerrilla, but is their title really a 'world' title?

TRIPLE CROWN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Current champion: Go Shiozaki

While AJPW has been in a slump since the second splintering, it is still recognized by Meltzer and PWI as a World title.

titles I have missed

There are thousands of wrestling promotions, and I can't name them all.

EDIT: I now realize I said 'non-American', but listed the PWG World Championship. I am sorry for the idiocy.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The Lucha Underground championship belt, obviously.

...it's not American, it's Aztec.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the pwg title is defended in one building in one company its very much a regional title even if its in the best company in the world

ghc has been badly devalued not really by booking but by its parent company just tanking in terms of relevance/business since the death of misawa

i dont watch lucha so i dont have an opinion of the aaa title

lol triple crown

open the dream gate championship should be considered one though

gabe is trying to make an indy triple crown of the evolve/dgusa/fip titles so the jury is out on that garbage

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

They are all more valid than the TNA title and I'm including poo poo like the golden gig at Hoodslam in this statement

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

ICW's Main Championship has been renamed 'World Heavyweight Championship' after Galloway defended it and carried it throughout venues over the world while still holding other main promotion belts.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'd love to see the PWG championship in the poll but I guess I understand why it's not. AAA's World Title should absolutely be in though.

Also anyone who argues that the NXT title deserves to be there is wrong and worthy of ridicule and being shoved into a locker.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

I'd love to see the PWG championship in the poll but I guess I understand why it's not. AAA's World Title should absolutely be in though.

Also anyone who argues that the NXT title deserves to be there is wrong and worthy of ridicule and being shoved into a locker.

The AAA title is defended once every three years and is a total afterthought.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Isn't PWG an American company? I'm not quite sure why we're discussing it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
PWG is an interesting case and you can make arguments both ways for it. GHC, Dream Gate and AAA Mega are World Titles in my mind, All Japan has fallen so far that I lump it with NWA's title. To me it's more of a company size issue, so I'd err to say PWG isn't one, but again there are arguments to be made.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
In what universe is Mexico not part of America?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think the AAA title should be considered one of the major titles, but I think it may suffer from the same issue PWG's belt has where there is such a lengthy period between title defenses. At least in terms of AAA, at least with Alberto right now, it gets lots of exposure with the champion being everywhere recently.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Shame AJPW's fallen so far that the TC means almost nothing, because Go's been pretty drat great as champion.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

any title that has "world" in the name is a world title

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

oatgan posted:

any title that has "world" in the name is a world title

But is it defended around the world is the question.

Hence why my local boy, the chosen one, Drew Galloway is world champion for a reason. He goes and wins titles in other promotions over the world while putting the ICW title on the line and carries them around like treasures.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Is it weird to think that "look" also plays a part in this? Like I know it's one of the most sought after titles in all of wrestling, but something about the WWE title doesn't seem like a world championship in the same way the big gold belt or the IGWP does. It's probably because it's a big logo with nothing else, while even though basically every title is only part of one company the WWE title doesn't look like a title you'd win in an actual sport.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Is it weird to think that "look" also plays a part in this? Like I know it's one of the most sought after titles in all of wrestling, but something about the WWE title doesn't seem like a world championship in the same way the big gold belt or the IGWP does. It's probably because it's a big logo with nothing else, while even though basically every title is only part of one company the WWE title doesn't look like a title you'd win in an actual sport.

There is no belt today as cool as the Open the Dream Gate. It has keys that you take from your challengers and your hidden name plate.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Any belt that has been defended outside it's founding country's is considered a World title.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The AAA title is defended once every three years and is a total afterthought.

Does AAA have strict weight limits on their World Title like CMLL?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I really liked the big spinner belt (once they locked it to not spin) because it looked thick and heavy. Made it a cooler prop weapon.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I always thought in kayfabe that a title is considered a world title if it's defended outside of its home country (or continent I guess), and that's pretty much all the thought that I've ever put into it.

So yea, the PWG title is a world title.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

KungFu Grip posted:

Any belt that has been defended outside it's founding country's is considered a World title.

In the loosest sense of the term, sure.
I only consider the top titles of major markets to be "world titles."

• Locked thread