Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Marching Powder posted:

are you trying to assert that if we start a 115lb division in the ufc, 20 years down the track we could have an enormously bloated superfight between two stud featherweights who are passed their prime? did reading a really good boxing op make you aggressively stupider?

Are you saying that the UFC shouldn't open another division until another organization already holds all of the top talent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
There would be no reason for mighty mouse to go down to 115 if it was there. I can only think of one flyweight that could easily make 115 and it's that roided dagestani. Considering the existing talent at mens 115 he would just bulldoze everyone, attract no viewers and probably test positive again, getting stripped of the belt and causing the division to close.

If 115 happens I'm thinking it would just be infrequent showcase fights, exclusive to asian cards and probably only be broadcast on fight pass at 5am

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Are you saying that the UFC shouldn't open another division until another organization already holds all of the top talent?

Yes, the division should absolutely have proven, professional leveltalent prior to the premier organisation charging people to watch it. Keeping in mind that one of the finest fighters on the planet fights one division up and people boo at him.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Marching Powder posted:

Yes, the division should absolutely have proven, professional leveltalent prior to the premier organisation charging people to watch it. Keeping in mind that one of the finest fighters on the planet fights one division up and people boo at him.

And that other organization should just brand itself to India, China, Thailand, Mexico, Philippines, South Africa, etc... before the UFC can get a foothold there? I don't think it would hurt to have a fightpass only events, like TUF China, with only tiny fighters from those counties to build them up. Show it on their local TV, not PPV. Get the UFC's name out there.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Fozzy The Bear posted:

And that other organization should just brand itself to India, China, Thailand, Mexico, Philippines, South Africa, etc... before the UFC can get a foothold there? I don't think it would hurt to have a fightpass only events, like TUF China, with only tiny fighters from those counties to build them up. Show it on their local TV, not PPV. Get the UFC's name out there.

The UFC is out there. They won't have any problem signing up all the 115 talent if they ever want to.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
John loving Makdessi?! Why not just give it to that guy who won TUF recently. Yeah, that guy.

Anyway I agree with marching powder's point about UFC should be a place for proven & professional fighters and that it doesn't hurt to have other organizations get things together before they polish it up. One of the main selling points of the original flyweight tournament was Uncle Creepy who had some success in the b-leagues at the weight class and then in his first UFC fight he almost beat the guy who almost beat the guy who is Dominick Cruz. That instantly made me a fan of the new weight class and UFC could capture the same success again.

However, we must also consider that CM Punk is being allowed to fight in UFC sometime next year with an impressive 6 months of Duke Roufus tutelage so I don't think it's so bad if UFC just grabbed whatever 115 lb guys they can find in East Asia even if most are sparring partners for those kickboxing orangutans.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 1, 2015

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Are you at all aware of PRIDE DREAM DEEP/Jewels Pancrase RINGS Super Fight League the history of MMA?

Zwachro fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 1, 2015

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Northjayhawk posted:

The UFC is out there. They won't have any problem signing up all the 115 talent if they ever want to.

Yeah, you are probably right.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

NippleFloss posted:

I had tickets to UFC 151 to see Jones/Henderson, and Jon Jones got the whole card cancelled because he refused to fight a middling middleweight on short notice.

I had tickets to UFC 178 to see Jones Cormier and Jones dropped out of that card leaving a headliner with Chris Caraiso looking like he should have been sent to fight with an air sickness bag.

I really wanted to go to UFC 187 but had a premonition that Jon Jones would somehow ruin it again so I made the wise and obvious choice to get tickets to the New Orleans fight night because I'd like to see Daniel Cormier murder Ryan Bader and there's no way Jon Jones could ruin that for me.

And now here we are...

gently caress Jon Jones.

LMAO

Bubba Smith posted:

John loving Makdessi?! Why not just give it to that guy who won TUF recently. Yeah, that guy.

When stuff like this comes up the answer is almost always "We already asked a couple other fighters and this is the guy who said yes"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's not like you could ask Cowboy to fight himself

Actually knowing that crazy sumbitch he'd do it for the pay check.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

MA-Horus posted:

He'd probably manage to get all three OTN bonuses too.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

MA-Horus posted:

What would that look like?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Northjayhawk posted:

What would that look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAqBitV574c

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

When stuff like this comes up the answer is almost always "We already asked a couple other fighters and this is the guy who said yes"

Part of me thinks this is promotional push cause win or lose it will help Makdessi build his name and it will give UFC a Canadian lightweight to promote now that TJ Grant is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
New one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717173

• Locked thread