Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

goatse guy posted:

I got promoted to manager of our business development center at work. I'm excited about the pay raise and the new responsibilities, but I'm more excited about never having to work past 6 pm.

Catte chat: I went to go check out some dogs at the humane society yesterday, but after considering how much of a pain in the rear end Harry is around other dogs, I've decided to get some cats to keep him occupied instead.

Did Harry The Office Dog get a promotion as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Lots of good news today! I got a raise about 30 minutes ago, and it's retroactive to January 1st so my next paycheck is going to be suh-weet!

Sorry about the girl adiabatic, did you at least get a raise?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatse guy posted:

I got promoted to manager of our business development center at work. I'm excited about the pay raise and the new responsibilities, but I'm more excited about never having to work past 6 pm.

Nice! So what does that entail? Is that still individual customer facing stuff (probably not if you don't have to work past 6) or more higher level marketing?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did Harry The Office Dog get a promotion as well?

He doesn't get to come to work with me anymore. :smith:

Motronic posted:

Nice! So what does that entail? Is that still individual customer facing stuff (probably not if you don't have to work past 6) or more higher level marketing?

I still handle incoming phone, email, and chat traffic but now I get to oversee two employees. I'm going to train them, keep tabs on them, keep tabs on how the sales consultants are handling the internet customers, and listen to all of their crybaby bitching about how so-and-so gets all of the leads.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
A vacuum operated petcock would close automatically when there is no vacuum signal present right? That's why there is no "off" on it right? Right? I'm not crazy right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatse guy posted:

and listen to all of their crybaby bitching about how so-and-so gets all of the leads.

lol

Sounds good.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

lol

Sounds good.

I actually kinda like it. I nod, act sympathetic, and then immediately go back to not caring once they leave the vicinity of my desk. Leads are reserved for the people that want to close them.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

goatse guy posted:

I actually kinda like it. I nod, act sympathetic, and then immediately go back to not caring once they leave the vicinity of my desk. Leads are reserved for the people that want to close them.

ALWAYS

BE

CLOSING

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iwentdoodie posted:

ALWAYS

BE

CLOSING

Have not met in person but is a cool dude on the internets

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm working a theater cross promotion for Avengers 2 tonight and one of the employees here is dressed as Black Widow and she is wearing the tightest tights and it's really loving distracting how nice her butt looks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

I'm working a theater cross promotion for Avengers 2 tonight and one of the employees here is dressed as Black Widow and she is wearing the tightest tights and it's really loving distracting how nice her butt looks.
You should tell her that, not us. Unless you have pictures. Then show us so we can tell you to tell her how nice her butt looks.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Job chat: This job opportunity in NYS I really really want has been

stringing

me

along

for something like 6 weeks now. It's a promotion, it's in a location I want, and it'll be a pay raise. They said they work slow, but I was thinking "corporate slow" not "higher education slow" Though, it's a state job, so I should probably be less surprised. Every time I figure it fell through and resign myself, I get another email from them "we're still checking references and making calls, we'll let you know in a week"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

You should tell her that, not us. Unless you have pictures. Then show us so we can tell you to tell her how nice her butt looks.

Taking pictures of a girls butt is a level of creep I'm not ready to go to yet.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

You should still tell her though.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Rhyno posted:

Just tell her you want her to model for you because you're trying to get into photography, duh :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I had my first day as a refrigeration tech today. First call of the day was a Red Robin with a busted reach in.

I QUIT THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY BUT IT JUST KEEPS DRAGGING ME BACK.

In other news the job was pretty awesome, got to work on some cool machines, and the day went by faster than any job I've had in the last 6 years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

Tell her you told the internet she's hot and the internet wanted proof.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Shampoo posted:

Job chat: This job opportunity in NYS I really really want has been

stringing

me

along

for something like 6 weeks now. It's a promotion, it's in a location I want, and it'll be a pay raise. They said they work slow, but I was thinking "corporate slow" not "higher education slow" Though, it's a state job, so I should probably be less surprised. Every time I figure it fell through and resign myself, I get another email from them "we're still checking references and making calls, we'll let you know in a week"

It took Intel several months from final interview to hire letter. My manager actually frantically called me a week or two before HR got their asses in gear and asked me to give him just a little more time because HR was being incredibly slow but he had info from them that said I was being hired, and asked that I play dumb when they finally got around to calling and telling me.

Big companies are stupidly risk averse and HR is usually about protecting the company, not actually getting anything done, so add state government to the mix and... I bet they get about 15 seconds of actual work done every day in that HR dept.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

HR already sent me my offer letter and forms :stare:

I'm making $3/hr more than I am now but no health insurance :sigh:

This is making me yearn to get out of retail

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tusen Takk posted:

This is making me yearn to get out of retail

This will make you a better and worse person, but retail is pretty tough. You're doing the right thing.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

drat you BELL and your network outage :argh: phone wasn't receiving calls our text for most of the day, and right around 5pm I got a flood of texts and voicemail alerts.

They called back from the interview, but couldn't get a hold of me and when I called them back they were probably off work. Going to call again tomorrow morning, I guess here goes another night of :ohdear:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

kastein posted:

It took Intel several months from final interview to hire letter. My manager actually frantically called me a week or two before HR got their asses in gear and asked me to give him just a little more time because HR was being incredibly slow but he had info from them that said I was being hired, and asked that I play dumb when they finally got around to calling and telling me.

Sounds like my experience with AT&T-they waited for three or four months after I'd applied to call me for an interview. They started moving pretty quickly after that but when my boss-to-be first got me on the phone I had to ask him to remind me what I'd applied for. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Got asked to go to the store I did my training out of today since they have a couple people out. Apparently one of the guys at this store had taken pity on a BMW owner and was going to lend them his own personal BMW timing tool thing. This was 3-4 weeks ago. Along comes today and the person calling in on the guy's day off begging us to give him the employees number so they can give this person said timing tool. And of course it HAS to be today, no it can't wait until tomorrow, what do you mean you won't give me his number, etc. They get a dude I'm working with, he refuses to give them the number but offers to text the employee fully expecting him to ignore it because its his day off. They call back, get me, ask if we rent one, then call me a loving rear end in a top hat when I say we don't have one for rent and refuse to call the dude on his day off. They call back a 3rd time and get my co-worker again, then call him a loving rear end in a top hat when he spends 30 minutes trying to find one and get it to arrive today (involving calls to our corporate office and friendly shops) because it won't get to that store until 6pm. Today was a fun day. :allears:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 1, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mariooncrack posted:

Just curious, what instrument do you play?

Trombone, though I've been out of practice since like 2007. Killer on the lips trying to get used to playing again.

Tests went... alright, i guess. I'm not hopeful for more than a B in calc at this point. Stats im p much guaranteed a B just for putting my name on the paper, hopefully I squeaked out enough points to get an A.

I've had a Ti89 since high school, but I've never had cause to learn all the functions on it. Guess I'll have to get around to it now (or get a laptop so I can cut out the middleman and use Excel, even doing step-by-step instead of its built in functions saves an assload of time just not having to type an entire table into the calculator).

In slightly :sigh: news, got a message from UF today saying I didn't get in due to overcrowding. They mentioned talking about options if I'm still interested, so I'll hopefully get in touch with them tomorrow and see what's what, but ultimately if we can't work something out where I'm attending this fall I'm gonna end up at UCF; I can't wait another semester or two doing nothing at this point, we're at a breaking point where I need to move on. Kind of a bummer too, UF was my preferred school.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bajaha posted:

drat you BELL and your network outage :argh: phone wasn't receiving calls our text for most of the day, and right around 5pm I got a flood of texts and voicemail alerts.

They called back from the interview, but couldn't get a hold of me and when I called them back they were probably off work. Going to call again tomorrow morning, I guess here goes another night of :ohdear:

Is Google Voice an option in Canada? I generally give that number out on resumes/applications. I keep it perpetually in do not disturb mode (as bill collectors also have that #), but if they leave a voicemail I get an instant notification.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

some texas redneck posted:

Is Google Voice an option in Canada?

:aaaaa: Apparently it is. If I'm understanding it correctly, I install Hangouts Caller on my phone, and I can access it from my cell. Hang on, I've got to set this all up and start using it. Don't know why I thought it was US only and/or why I never looked into it.

E: Awww, nope looks like the actual google voice number is US only, although you can get one to forward to a Canadian number with this workaround:

Some Google Voice blog I found after a quick search posted:

Google Voice setup from Canada
I briefly tried three times before to setup Google voice from Canada with no luck. Many guides exist on the internet to help you with this, problem is they are out of date and just don't see to work. The fourth time was a charm for me. Before thinking about going to all this effort you should realize that you can't get a Canadian google voice number, but with a little effort you can get your US Google Voice number forwarded to any Canadian number. Regardless, using it does give you a chance to play with it so that once Canadian numbers are available, you will be familiar with the service.

The problem with activating a Google Voice account is Google Voice wants to phone you at a US based phone number and have you enter a two digit confirmation code as part of the activation. This requires a number of steps to get working from Canada.

Steps.
Request an Google Voice invite from Google. Invite
Setup a Canadian 403 phone number and forward it to whatever number you want, seems Google Voice will forward to that one Canadian area code(403). See details below*.
Use the phone number generated in step 2 to activate Google Voice. You may need to use a US based proxy, see Hotspot Shield, for this step.

The Hangouts VOIP calling still works, but I think it just shows up as your regular cell number? I'll have to play around with it.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 1, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Bajaha posted:

:aaaaa: Apparently it is. If I'm understanding it correctly, I install Hangouts Caller on my phone, and I can access it from my cell. Hang on, I've got to set this all up and start using it. Don't know why I thought it was US only and/or why I never looked into it.

It was US only for years. I didn't know it was available in Canada now though!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll be throwing Steam on it and have a few games on my wishlist for the next sale. Played LFS a bit years ago, likely reinstall that. Sound is a basic 3.1 setup for now but that's easily fixed.

Dang, I totally forgot about LFS, I'm going to have to re-install that. Have been putting in a decent amount of time in iRacing and finally got my rear end out of Rookie Class.

P.S., good luck to you and your crew at Brainerd this weekend! I'll be down at Autobahn Country Club for our first motorcycle race of the year with CCS. It's my first season as an Expert and now I have to run with the actual fast guys :ohdear: But I guess that means I'm officially a fast guy? :toot:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

N is for Nipples posted:

What's this all about? Sounds interesting.

Sorry, didn't check the thread after work.
http://www.pateswapmeet.com/

Runs through Sunday, though Sunday is usually pretty thin.

Computer chat: my Mac Pro quad-core decided it doesn't wan to start any more. I usually use a Mac laptop, and run the Mac Pro in Win 7 via Boot Camp, sometimes Mac OS 10.10. I have no idea when it quit, but all it does when you hit power is whir the fans for about 2 seconds then shut off. Sounds like the power supply to me. Well, it was a free Mac, all I've got into it is the RAM and RAM carrier cards.

Tusen Takk posted:

I just heard back from Dassault: I got the internship :getin:

Cool!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

gently caress, perfect aw11 just popped up on CL in portland. Hopefully it does not sell tomorrow, if not I will be on the road to portland first thing saturday morning. I really hope this works out...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Got a vaguely-worded call today to go help one of the guys I supervise at work - apparently he was having some sort of crisis and needed to leave immediately. I shrug my shoulders because workplace drama is a daily Thing, go to find him and he's turned inside-loving out... I get him in the truck with me, and between sobs he tells me that his little brother just got shot

:stare:

I threw an arm around him and took him to his car without asking any questions, but from what I gathered it was fatal. Don't know the kid in question, but my coworker is a super nice down-on-his-luck kinda guy who I've always liked. I do not get paid nearly enough to counsel people in the depths of grief asking me "what do I do? this isn't real! this isn't happening!". An excellent way to start my three-day weekend.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Got a vaguely-worded call today to go help one of the guys I supervise at work - apparently he was having some sort of crisis and needed to leave immediately. I shrug my shoulders because workplace drama is a daily Thing, go to find him and he's turned inside-loving out... I get him in the truck with me, and between sobs he tells me that his little brother just got shot

I threw an arm around him and took him to his car without asking any questions, but from what I gathered it was fatal. Don't know the kid in question, but my coworker is a super nice down-on-his-luck kinda guy who I've always liked. I do not get paid nearly enough to counsel people in the depths of grief asking me "what do I do? this isn't real! this isn't happening!". An excellent way to start my three-day weekend.

Jesus Christ :(

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Only advice I can give is to open a cold one.

That's a helluva way to start off a long weekend.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fucknag posted:

Trombone, though I've been out of practice since like 2007. Killer on the lips trying to get used to playing again.

I sort of know the feeling. I stopped playing Viola for a few years and then tried to pick it up again. It took some very long practice sessions to get me back to where I was.

You did the best you could and nobody would expect you to be able counsel anyone in grief.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
loving hell man. This beer is for him

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Jesus must be in the air, roomates girlfriend who lives with us just got a call that her employee lost her nearly due baby in a car accident. :(

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

goatse guy posted:

about how so-and-so gets all of the leads.

*knocks coffee out of hand* the leads are for closers! :colbert:

Congrats though, and congrats to the job offer and raise getters of recent pages past.

Sorry about your GF Adabedabadootic *e-hugs*

I think it's May in EST now. THE RACE IS ON!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Only advice I can give is to open a cold one.

That's a helluva way to start off a long weekend.

Cold ones opened, music playing, packing for trip to my girlfriend's friend's wedding :can:

mariooncrack posted:

You did the best you could and nobody would expect you to be able counsel anyone in grief.

Yeah it's all good - I have a strangely unique job at a weird place that includes being First Responder to medical emergencies so I've shown up to poo poo I wasn't prepared for, but this was a new one. My lunch today was actually interrupted to go clean blood off an old dude who tripped, fell, and mashed his lip into the concrete. By the time I got back to my sandwich the cheese had literally melted in the heat and it was disgusting but I ate it because I could tell it was going to be One Of Those Days. A few weeks ago the same thing happened except with some lady who fainted and started vomiting when I got to her. I finished my sandwich then too - I have forgotten what it feels like to have my appetite ruined by anything.

Preoptopus posted:

Jesus must be in the air, roomates girlfriend who lives with us just got a call that her employee lost her nearly due baby in a car accident. :(

drat that is rough too - stay inside tonight goons, it is the End of the Month and the Great Copper in the Sky has come late to claim his numbers

In more fun AI news, I did arrive home to find my freshly bored-out Jeep throttle body arrived. Got it installed while pounding a couple of beers... throttle response on oldass XJ = :mrgw:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
There's a contest going on at work right now, and I joked that second place would be a set of steak knives. First place is borrowing one of the company's vintage cars for a weekend up north, and that actually seems more like a punishment than a prize -- there's a nonzero chance of getting stranded by some of those cars.

My friend got to take the company FJ60 home for the weekend. I'm super jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
THREAD'S OVER NERDS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238

• Locked thread