Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I need to set up a fileserver that can be accessed easily via the internet, as well as on a local lan.

My requirements are pretty basic, and I'd usually use Samba internally, except I've got three offices that need access to the files on this system.
Most importantly, I need two things.
- The ability to easily create/remove users with different shares
- Locking Word/Excel documents whenever a user has opened one, even over the internet.

The company isn't interested in spending money, so I'm trying to brainstorm using the internet connection + server equipment that I already have.
I installed ownCloud to our server and it seemed to function, but cloud-based solutions aren't viable for us, as they're consuming too much download quota on mobile whenever someone leaves the office. There's also the conflict-version on documents that continues to occur.

I'm also going to be backing up to Amazon S3. Is there a way to use that direct?

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The version conflict problem is "solved" by checking documents in and out of Sharepoint or some other document management thing. It will require user training and money. Nothing else will do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You really don't want to expose samba to the internet without some kind of extra security like vpn for example.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Alfresco or any of the many DMS alternatives, suggest finding one that talks CMIS which has native support in various Office clients.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

For private use I tunnel samba over SSH which is easy enough to do.

You could set up a server at the remote office running an SSH client to connect to as server at your main office to tunnel the relevant ports over.
This will of course require that you always keep the SSH connection up so maybe use something like AutoSSH to help you do that.
When that is said, I am not sure I would recommend this for work use, but it is free and very simple to get up and running.

• Locked thread