Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Water is considered the lifeblood of the planet. But sometimes water just isn't enough to "quench" your thirst for adventure: guess it's time to kick it up a notch with Sparkling Water. I've been making my own sparkling water for a little over 3 years using a variety of techniques, ranging from store bought machines to dry ice to yeast. Experimentation with these methods and sampling the delicous products of my tinkering has carbonated my soul with bubbles of strict c02 regulation is just as important as what can be considered a bubble?
What i as bubble
A bubble is a globule. Basically, when you are making sparkling water, you are "impregnating" the water with bubbles. The amount of bubbles can vary wildly from 1000 bubbles to over a million, but be careful, as bubbles have a frustratingly short lifespan.

A primer on sparkles:
The bubbles in the water create a swirling luminecse of reflecting and refracting light that gives sparkling water it's name.

Make sparkling water

Method one, push my button

http://www.amazon.com/SodaStream-Fo...scsubtag=SH3232

This is, for the money, the best way to get cracking on some sparklin' water.  This svelt machine is completely idiot proof, comes with it's own bottles and has 4 different carbonation settings (you'll only need the turbo setting). It's clean, easy, and gets stellar reviews across the board.
[img] http://imgur.com/iVKHEi8.jpg[/img]
I like to recommend this to beginners because it comes with flavored syrup you can mix your creation with to create retarded rear end sodas.  When you think you're ready to stop being a little bitch baby and want to run with the big dogs, throw your new soda machine in the loving trashcan and check this out:

Method two, it's the yeast I can do
Does putting yeast into some water get you sexually excited? Well, I don't want to know about that because I'm here to tell you how to make sparkling water using yeast. For this method it's best to champagne yeast, as baker's yeast will turn your creation into a disgusting yeast slurry.  This is where you get to get in touch with your inner scientist: try varying amount of yeasts in warm water.  Refridgerate that bitch (I'd recommend at least 12 hours) and finally use cheese cloth to filter out any sediment left behind.  Drink up your yeasty concoction and smile broadly knowing that you finally have a reason to seperate yourself from the more intellegent of the great apes in terms on ingenuity.

Doesn't fermentation create alcohol? Yes.  However, it is rarely if ever over 1%, and I never feel compelled to relapse.

Method 3: Using dry ice to release c02 gasses thus making sparkling water
I'll admit, I've never actually tried using the other two methods and use this one exclusively.  Probably the easiest and, let's face it, most FUN way to get the fizzy, utilizing gigantic amounts of dry ice can net you over 30 dollars in saving.
Let's take look:
First, you need to get your hands on some dry ice. Run your fingers over your bounty; clutch it to your naked breast. Dry ice is as dangerous as it is beautiful though, so don't do this for too long or you'll end up with third degree burns on any exposed skin.
Next, put the dry ice in your bathtub.  Soon you will have exactly 30 bottles of perfect, sparkly water to enjoy.

Can I sell my new bubble water
I don't give a poo poo what you loving do with it, but if you manage to make anything remotely digestible you'd probably want to check out this bar graph that can help you corner the market and make the big bucks selling your subpar garbage water.

Well guys, I hoped you learned something today: I know I didn't. I already knew all this information which is why I'm making this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
-_-

leaving out most obvious answer : keg and force carbonate large amounts of water. I brew beer (you don't have to), and use some of my 5gal sankey kegs to carbonate water. I drop in "true grapefruit" citric acid packets for flavor as needed. cheap as chips, I'll spend maybe $2 on 5 gallons of water. http://www.truelemon.com/

here's my rig

best option, only option. lmao dry ice, u fuckin wot m8??

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
gently caress sodastream, buy literally anything else than support their apartheid investments

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

gently caress sodastream, buy literally anything else than support their apartheid investments

This.

Also, a CO2 setup like mindphlux' is sweet and fairly cheap. As soon as I get a place with some space, I'm gonna have bubbly water on demand asap.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

I'll spend maybe $2 on 5 gallons of water

What's your capital expenditure, though? Because I have invested literally nothing in my fizzy water making portfolio, and fizzy water is still loving cheap as chips.

5 gallons of fizzy water costs me about £1.60 with my method, which is only about 30p more than you pay.

My technique is pretty involved though. I have to put on clothes, walk to a shop and buy a bottle of fizzy water from the supermarket. It takes whole minutes to do.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

What's your capital expenditure, though? Because I have invested literally nothing in my fizzy water making portfolio, and fizzy water is still loving cheap as chips.

5 gallons of fizzy water costs me about £1.60 with my method, which is only about 30p more than you pay.

My technique is pretty involved though. I have to put on clothes, walk to a shop and buy a bottle of fizzy water from the supermarket. It takes whole minutes to do.

I was with you up to here. Then, your argument fell apart pretty quickly.

I'm not putting on pants for water of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I stopped supporting regimes or whatever by refilling my own soda stream bottles with dry ice and buying Coke Zero syrup by the gallon from a distributor.

Note that I've only gotten about 3 refills in before the bottle hosed up and busted a seal, and then you have to return it anyway. But if you're only drinking a few liters a week and don't want to invest in a heavier set up (or if it's for your mom and you want to keep things uncomplicated), Soda Stream is great.

• Locked thread