Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dommer416
Aug 4, 2013

Hello little children your uncle is here.
I read too much. I really do. When I was younger my mother must have had 40 books on sociology and autism and I probably read all of them. Ten times as much on foreign countries. I always wondered where she got them all.

Turns out they are all used books. Some are new, some are just random books a soccer mom thought would teach her about Jimmy's last freak out over colby-jack cheese over marble-jack cheese. Funnily enough all the books I have read for the last few years have been from a thrift shop in my town. I have found books that I read half of at a library and never really finished (The Last Rainbow by Parke Godwin for example) and others that had an interesting title (Long Live theKing by John Rowe for another).

So my question to you goons is this: Have you ever bought a random book from old lady shoehammer (Thrift Stores, garage sales, etc) and now it is your favorite?

I recently got Long Live the King and think it's probably my favorite book right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Yeah. I tend to haunt the library sales and just grab anything that looks interesting. One neat one I bought was a selection of articles about life in Malaysia's Chinatown in the 50s. Full of mah jongg and ghosts and other cute impressionistic things. And also a biography of Hetty Green, the wicked witch of Wall Street.

And the volunteers there tend to be fussy dried-up old women. Including the men.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Dommer416 posted:

When I was younger my mother must have had 40 books on sociology and autism and I probably read all of them.

Hmmmm......

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I have inherited a bunch of history books and books on graves and the history and movements on how we bury the dead from my mother which all are highlighted, underlined, and have random notes on the margins. They are pretty neat.

• Locked thread