Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I am buying a car.

I live in the Bay Area, and the owner lives in San Diego.

He's selling it at a good price, and has extensive maintenance records, but the transmission input seal has a leak, and I think if I try to fly down there and drive it back up here, Murphy's Law will intervene and make the transmission empty itself onto I-5.

I put down a $200 deposit via Paypal for it, as he had to leave for a week on business.

Would the correct way to go about this be to send him the rest of the money via Paypal (so I have their buyer protection thing), and have him send me the title and smog certificate via certified mail? Then (assuming he's amenable) I can find someone to haul it back to the Bay Area on uShip.

Am I doing this right, or am I running the risk of being screwed over? (taking into account that Paypal's buyer protection is very much in the buyer's favor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've done a few fly and rides with good results. Generally people arent assbags about it, Especially when money gets involved and theres a third party handling said cash.

E: as a seller people have offered a deposit to hold whatever it is. I usually tell em don't worry about it, its theirs if they're that serious, and pull the ad.

I sold my spouses FZR to a guy in TX this way and there was no issues at all.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 5, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

I've done a few fly and rides with good results. Generally people arent assbags about it, Especially when money gets involved and theres a third party handling said cash.

E: as a seller people have offered a deposit to hold whatever it is. I usually tell em don't worry about it, its theirs if they're that serious, and pull the ad.

I sold my spouses FZR to a guy in TX this way and there was no issues at all.

the problem is I'd either have to drive it back up, adding transmission fluid along the way (it loses about a quart every 200 miles; this began on a trip he took, and he drove it 8 hours back to san diego), or have someone in san diego repair it (no responses to my requests for quotes, and the guy's mechanic gave him a quote $200-400 more expensive than the local mechanic.)

I mean, I could try, but I'd be worried about the transmission seal going entirely and ending up with a transaxle full of mulch. The owner finished a long trip, but I have no idea how likely it would be to get worse.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Have you looked into hiring a car transporter? I realize logistical issues might arise, and for all I know it would be the most expensive option, but you wouldn't have to limp a dying transmission 500 miles up the coast or rent a local hotel while the car is fixed there.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Have you looked into hiring a car transporter? I realize logistical issues might arise, and for all I know it would be the most expensive option, but you wouldn't have to limp a dying transmission 500 miles up the coast or rent a local hotel while the car is fixed there.

Yes, it's why I mentioned uShip in the first post. I can probably get it shipped up here for $400-500, but I'm wondering about the logistics of paying with Paypal and getting the title and so on. The actual "get the car" is a solved problem.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
What kind of car is it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

What kind of car is it?

It's a 1998 Volvo V70R. I'd tow it up myself, but it needs a flatbed (AWD) and my dad's truck isn't running.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My local UHaul has a flatbad truck that you can rent. It's a heavy duty Ford E-series with a flatbed instead of a box.

They also have flatbed trailers. Have you considered options like this? Check Penske as well.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

atomicthumbs posted:

It's a 1998 Volvo V70R. I'd tow it up myself, but it needs a flatbed (AWD) and my dad's truck isn't running.

Well poo poo. If it was something easier to work on I'd offer to help :v:

If you need anyone in SD for something let me know. I'm fairly close.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

angryhampster posted:

My local UHaul has a flatbad truck that you can rent. It's a heavy duty Ford E-series with a flatbed instead of a box.

They also have flatbed trailers. Have you considered options like this? Check Penske as well.

the $0.99/mile surcharge for U-Haul, plus staying at a motel, would murder any savings over just having his mechanic fix it. and Penske is hiding their flatbed trailer rental somewhere.

iwentdoodie posted:

If you need anyone in SD for something let me know. I'm fairly close.

thanks! I'll let you know if I need something :)

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

From my past experiences:
  • Do not buy a car that's 24 hours of driving time away from you.
  • Do not buy said car from a Pawn Shop, nor believe anything they say about it.
  • Do not drive 24 hours non-stop with a co-driver to get it.
  • Do not drive it an hour on the interstate to your friend's house with death wobble u-joints and a thundering miss/ping under load.
  • Do not spend the next three days prepping the car to make the 1700 miles home.
  • Do not use a mix of heavy duty motor oil and gear oil to silence the loudly knocking connecting rod.
  • Do not replenish mix that was lost through combustion with 60wt oil on a 15*F morning and immediately jump on the road.
  • Do not leave your awesome "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" key chain with the construction company where your knocking car gives up.
  • Do send a transporter to get your beat down car from it's resting place exactly halfway between home and where you went to pick it up.

Unless it's mint and you have a third party inspect it, transport it somehow.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

goin' forward with the mail title/ship car plan. it helps that I looked the guy up and I'm now pretty sure he's 100% trustable.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Not to thread hijack, but if you "fly and drive", assuming it is to another state, how do you handle the registration? States have different rules about driving a car without plates. Keep the signed title close by and hope for the best?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The rule of thumb is 30 days from sale date on the title. But carry a bill of sale and a title and you'll be fine for at least a week.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gorson posted:

Not to thread hijack, but if you "fly and drive", assuming it is to another state, how do you handle the registration? States have different rules about driving a car without plates. Keep the signed title close by and hope for the best?

Most states have at least a 24-48 hour grace period so long as you're covered via insurance somehow and have some bill of sale and title. I've done 700 miles with no plates and cops basically said thanks for having the info ready for em already. Insure it, drive it home with no plate or a plate from your vehicle, whatever your state laws require. And just follow those.

Edit: this may or may not be bad advice. Just my experience.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 8, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Goddamn I've been bitten by this before. Worst was with the Niva. The first attempt was a failure. I spent something like 20 hours straight on public transport, only being a hairs breadth from making at home at all due to the timetables of all the stupid number of different things I had to catch. Wasted money on transportation and a permit. Couldn't walk properly for days either. gently caress. Buses.

Finding someone with a vehicle capable of towing and hiring a car trailer has been the most successful method I've had so far. Assuming the towing car doesn't poo poo it'self it's the most sure way to get something home.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I should have added, follow what ever the laws are for your home state.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've only done this once, and I put down a deposit and showed up with the rest in cash. I don't like to give all the money before even seeing the car and making sure he's not going to just run away with it. The dude I dealt with was very trustworthy and the car was representative of the condition I was told (and pictures showed) it to be in. I don't think this always happens, so be careful.

Hope it works out.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Larrymer posted:

I don't think this always happens, so be careful.

Hope it works out.

I won't say any more, but I looked up the seller and his job title is Special Agent, so I think I'm in the clear here.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Since this is all happening in California you don't have to worry about getting pulled over because license plates stay with the car unless they are vanity plates and even then as long as you have your papers, if you get pulled over you will be sent on your way in short order. What others say rings true to my experiences. Give the guy $100 bucks good faith deposit and show up with the rest in cash to exchange for the keys and title. If you get scammed you are only out $100 which in itself would be rare. Other tips: if the vehicle in question is subject to a biannual emissions (smog) inspection its legally on the burden of the buyer to have the inspection done within the past 90 days of the eventual sale of the vehicle.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Panaflex posted:

if the vehicle in question is subject to a biannual emissions (smog) inspection its legally on the burden of the buyer to have the inspection done within the past 90 days of the eventual sale of the vehicle.

Actually legally I believe the seller is supposed to provide certification:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

quote:

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

So you could request a cert before you buy it. Not that a seller won't just laugh, and sell it to someone who didn't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

I won't say any more, but I looked up the seller and his job title is Special Agent, so I think I'm in the clear here.

Female Body Inspector?

• Locked thread