Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

surc posted:

uhhhhhh it's called the steam workshop and USING YOUR IMAGINATION you loving SPOILED CHILD.

E: what was that one that was actually fantasy or whatever though that's supposed to be good, endless something?

Endless Legend. If anything it's better than Civ because at least the whole map gets settled usually long before anyone gets close to winning. Also the different factions have meaningful mechanics instead of 1 unique unit and a discount or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

civ 5 is good in the background while you're studying because it's so low impact

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Has anyone played the multiplayer because I haven't bothered because I just expected it to suck poo poo.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

vug posted:

Has anyone played the multiplayer because I haven't bothered because I just expected it to suck poo poo.

I'd expect that the public games consist of someone rushing with two warriors and archers and quitting if he doesn't manage to capture your capital.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

vug posted:

its bad and youre loving crazy if you expect to play through a 10 hour game with an internet stranger

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

only play with friends, and even then its not great

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

vug posted:

It's Civ 5, so it's not even worth wondering about. Come on.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

subhuman filth posted:

every ai ive ever seen actively settles 15+ cities if they can, and if they run out of room they murder their neighbors until they can. they settle single snow tile islands with no resources just to occupy more space. i dunno if you play on bitch difficulties but that doesnt mesh with anything i have ever seen.

its actually really good to settle as many cities as you can in good locations. cities in shithole locations with no resources suck rear end until the late game. more cities = more gold, and more cities with decent population = more science. 4 cities hasnt been optimal since vanilla

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Building or capturing additional cities now carries a heavy penalty to science. It's far more efficient to grow additional population in existing cities rather than build new ones. In fact, after roughly 150 turns, there's virtually no reason EVER to build another city, since the game will be over before the new city will grow large enough to overcome the science penalty from founding it. The natural result of this mechanic is the four city empire. Why four cities? Because Tradition provides free monuments and free aqueducts in your first four cities. There also seems to be just enough happiness to support four cities in the first 100 to 150 turns of the game, as I experienced in my sample game. The result is a game dominated by "Tall" empires, civilizations comprised of 3-5 cities in game after game after game. (Don't believe me? I went and pulled some of the best results from recent Game of the Month competitions at CivFanatics. Here's a Culture victory from Turn 232: three cities. Diplomatic victory from Turn 262: three cities. Spaceship victory from Turn 222: four cities. No matter what victory condition was the goal, the same pattern of 3-5 cities appeared in game after game.)

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

game of the month are gimmick games with weird rules and weird difficulty settings, and i wouldnt put much stock in them much less cherrypick games with tall empires to demonstrate that the only way to play is to go tall. check out the deity challenge games and youll see that plenty of players that are way more skilled and knowledgeable than you or I make/capture considerably more than 4 cities. as for the AI not settling...

this is from a random game i pulled off my ultrabook from about the same period. idk what hosed up settings youre using.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Nobamba. LOL

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

subhuman filth posted:

game of the month are gimmick games with weird rules and weird difficulty settings, and i wouldnt put much stock in them much less cherrypick games with tall empires to demonstrate that the only way to play is to go tall. check out the deity challenge games and youll see that plenty of players that are way more skilled and knowledgeable than you or I make/capture considerably more than 4 cities. as for the AI not settling...

this is from a random game i pulled off my ultrabook from about the same period. idk what hosed up settings youre using.

Its turn 337 and there's still empty space on your map lol. Not even islands and poo poo thats the main loving continent. Get out of here.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

lol yes a few mediocre tiles unclaimed. this is the same as the ai settling 4 spots then giving up. you are wrong about everything

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think Civ 5 is a good game.

I mean vanilla was kinda dumb yeah, but with BNE and everything it's pretty solid.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Larry Parrish posted:

Endless Legend. If anything it's better than Civ because at least the whole map gets settled usually long before anyone gets close to winning. Also the different factions have meaningful mechanics instead of 1 unique unit and a discount or whatever.

Endless Legend has some really dumb poo poo in it

Why do you have tactical combat if its run by the AI anyway, it would be similar but a lot quicker to just have autoresolve at this point and skip it.

would be cool if civ had any competition that wasn't trying to be lame fantasy

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Endless Legend has some really dumb poo poo in it

Why do you have tactical combat if its run by the AI anyway, it would be similar but a lot quicker to just have autoresolve at this point and skip it.

would be cool if civ had any competition that wasn't trying to be lame fantasy

There's that other endless game made by the same people that's trying to be lame sci-fi.

They're still early access or whatever though right? I'm hoping they shape up before release because the things that are good seem pretty cool.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Borsche69 posted:

Its turn 337 and there's still empty space on your map lol. Not even islands and poo poo thats the main loving continent. Get out of here.

also sorry if i came off overbearing i dont dislike you personally and think youre a p dece poster :)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

surc posted:

There's that other endless game made by the same people that's trying to be lame sci-fi.

They're still early access or whatever though right? I'm hoping they shape up before release because the things that are good seem pretty cool.

endless space? that came out before endless legend, it wasnt terrible but it was bland as gently caress

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
loving Shaka shits cities everywhere.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
it's alright becsuse as long as you've got a good enough army he will do a failed invasion of your empire and get his army wiped out and be left with a load of useless cities crippled with unhappiness and you can make him your bitch

most of the expansionistic AIs do that

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah the expansionist civs are early game threats and then if they dont immediately win become poop in the last half of a game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still love how they never managed to fix the thing where ranged units can just kite the AI, or stand behind some melee guys on a hill and get like 50 kills in a war on their own despite the AI's insanely overwhelming numbers because they just don't bother to attack more than one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The Byzantine Dromon unique ship is stupid good against the AI. The AI absolutely cannot figure out what to do about boats constantly shooting its land units, so you end up with a dozen of them with ridiculous promotions, and they upgrade all the way to battleships. At that point they have bombardment range 3, so they can break coastal cities from outside the cities bombardment range.

It'd be funny if that sort of poo poo didn't make the game so boring.

• Locked thread