Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Recently, I've come to the realization that most of my company is kind of walled off from each other. We're small but only converse on Lync when necessary or know each other. I want to change that. This is where I come to you admin\IT\coding goons.

What I need:

Persistent rooms. If I leave work, head home and then get back on, will I see what I missed?

Local hosting. We deal with a lot of clients so we don't want information possibly sitting on someone else's server somewhere. Connection stuff can be worked around in most cases.

We're mostly a Windows shop so a Windows client would be necessary as well.

I looked at Slack but not sure if they're going to fit our needs with the local hosting option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Lync can do persistent rooms - so that can help in the meantime.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

What don't you like about Lync?

You could look at HipChat Server:

https://www.hipchat.com/server

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Maneki Neko posted:

What don't you like about Lync?

You could look at HipChat Server:

https://www.hipchat.com/server

It isn't that I don't like Lync. It's that it keeps getting put off for other work. The easier I can get something set up, the better basically.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
OpenFire does these things and you can use any XMPP client although some things work best with their own Java based client.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

If you dont plan on using Lync 2013 for enterprise voice/SIP trunking, it is very simple to set up.
The deployment wizard and topology builder is very nice to work with.

Addz
Apr 13, 2015

thebigcow posted:

OpenFire does these things and you can use any XMPP client although some things work best with their own Java based client.

This. For a long time XMPP was and sometimes still is the norm for instant messaging around Businesses, at least from what I've experienced. OpenFire is the easiest server to setup too, with a full web control panel and is able to run on Windows as well as Linux. I've had issues connecting to openfire servers with the Pidgin client though, otherwise its a great solution for creating private, organised and controllable instant messaging networks.

Definitely read up on its features and try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The other option for self-hosted Slack alternatives is https://github.com/sdelements/lets-chat and those will work with LDAP / Active Directory / Kerberos.

I'm strongly considering rolling this out for my team because our corporate chat option explicitly forbids persistent chatrooms and chat history persisting on-disk. We explicitly paid Cisco to remove options from Jabber that the rest of the Fortune 100 uses somehow (including a bunch of financials, wtf), so our security team is completely bonkers if you ask me. Lync didn't work for us probably because Microsoft asked for too much is my suspicion.

• Locked thread