Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is this the first episode which (kinda) revealed what party Meyer is in?

All her states were blue on the electoral map, so she's a Democrat. Unless it's supposed to be a parallel America where the parties are something made up, like in the Danish show Borgen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Is this the first episode which (kinda) revealed what party Meyer is in?

All her states were blue on the electoral map, so she's a Democrat. Unless it's supposed to be a parallel America where the parties are something made up, like in the Danish show Borgen.

She's been implied to be a Democrat since day 1, they just never said the party names for some reason just like in the previous show which we aren't allowed to talk about in this thread according to that one guy.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cliff Racer posted:

She's been implied to be a Democrat since day 1, they just never said the party names for some reason just like in the previous show which we aren't allowed to talk about in this thread according to that one guy.

Never let it be said that you aren't a quick learner

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Inference is one thing, but actually using party names is just not necessary and just a distraction. This show really isn't "Repulicans do it like this, Democrats do it like this". It would lessen the comedy IMHO.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There has never been an ounce of doubt in my mind that Selena was a democrat :shrug:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Borgen also has a clear parallel with absolutely every political party.

It'd be like if Veep started talking about the Patriots and Great Society parties.

Also, Borgen's loving amazing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, I just watched the Tehran episode. Granted I'm watching the show in a bit of a post-work stupor, but when the heck did she win her party's nomination for president? I thought we ended season three with her messing up the first few days of her presidency with Chung still running against her.

Also, wasn't it just an episode or two ago that Erickson mentioned that Thornwill was quitting?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just binged this whole season and it was awesome, this show is awesome.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fetus Tree posted:

There has never been an ounce of doubt in my mind that Selena was a democrat :shrug:

Yeah it always seemed pretty obvious based on context. The fact that partisanship is not a big deal with regards to the humor is still really good, though. It's not a show about politics as much as it is one about politicians.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, I just watched the Tehran episode. Granted I'm watching the show in a bit of a post-work stupor, but when the heck did she win her party's nomination for president? I thought we ended season three with her messing up the first few days of her presidency with Chung still running against her.

Also, wasn't it just an episode or two ago that Erickson mentioned that Thornwill was quitting?

They clearly felt that they did enough episodes about the primary, basically.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Lycus posted:

Ah, okay. Yeah its just weird to not have a moment or two where they explained how Selina beat out Chung for the nomination.

I guess looking the part of the president is more than enough to carry her to "victory", and I wouldn't trade a single moment out in the first four episodes for anything. So much goodness.

Just strange to end season three with "Chung won New hampshire" and then just totally ignore all of that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Small White Dragon posted:

The best part about an electoral tie scenario, as described in that video, is that you could get a president and VP from different parties.

Imagine how hosed Selena would be then.

I think 2 things would happen if this would occur in real life:

1. The VP would get to do not a goddamn thing ever.

2. If the VP is Republican and POTUS a Democrat some right wing nut would attempt to assassinate the president every week.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah it always seemed pretty obvious based on context. The fact that partisanship is not a big deal with regards to the humor is still really good, though. It's not a show about politics as much as it is one about politicians.

Agreed. I'm not a political person so I Like that the show is just plain funny instead of political.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Binged the back half of this season. Great stuff. Mike got the best line in the finale, "all I'm getting is 'how to tie a tie'". Magical.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

We cant talk about TTOI?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was mocking the one guy who was telling everyone not to discuss TTOI or compare Veep events to similar things which happened in it.

Lycus posted:

They actually did this "have important things happen off camera" tactic all throughout this season and the one that preceded it. I find it to be a negative trait of the show but one that had to happen if Selena was made president. Once again, Selena should not have became president.

What I got out of it was that she made a mess of her early campaign because she isn't good at campaigning but won anyway because A) she is the president and B) she was actually doing a good job as president (The I/P and Iran agreements.)

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 21, 2015

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Did anyone catch The Brink?

It's not exactly scratching the same itch as Veep, but Aasif Mandvi is enjoyable.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's not exactly scratching the same itch as Veep, but Aasif Mandvi is enjoyable.
Yeah pretty much. It's fun here and there but doesn't have me blue in the face from laughing like VEEP does....which if I were a boring cynical guy means VEEP is cancelled and Brink goes on for 8 seasons.

But I'll keep watching a couple of episodes, I'd be dumb to write a show off based on the pilot.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just caught up with this. I thought the season started off well but got a little weak towards the end. Erickson does nothing, Karen does nothing, and there's too much of Jonah. He works better as an unavoidable punchline, but he and sidekick get so much screentime his baffling fuckupitude becomes less shocking and amusing.

I didn't care for that testimony episode. The characters came across as way more caricaturized than usual. The interviewers were so unprofessionally snarky (during depositions, especially) that it ruins the suspension of disbelief. I don't think they even needed the deposition parts; it feels contrived just so they can say "Hey, somebody in the other room just said this, what d'ya have to say about that ha gotcha".

It'd be kind to avoid the TTOI comparison but there's no avoiding it when the two episodes are structurally identical. I think they would have benefited from a longer episode (more time for characters to wear down before buckling) and a more significant character to scapegoat.

The season on the whole is still solid, though it's defo not as strong as the past three seasons.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm subscribed to HBO for a few months more so I'm likely going to watch that show just for Aasif and Tim Robbins.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Once again, Selena should not have became president.
I was gonna complain about the disjointed storylines this season but it all goes back to this. The primary stuff was horrible and the data scandal went nowhere. It's not a story driven show and the long arcs are extremely bad.

The show's not terrible but it makes some incredibly odd choices like wasting Diedrich Bader (and Matt Walsh last season) and letting Karen repeat her one joke a million times. Selina scapegoating her own friend would have at least meant something.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 28, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Vegetable posted:

and there's too much of Jonah. He works better as an unavoidable punchline, but he and sidekick get so much screentime his baffling fuckupitude becomes less shocking and amusing.
This is insane. Jonah & Richard were probably my favorite part of the season and the reveal of all the molested ladies looking like Jonah was loving masterful.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, I'm almost caught up and the show really does not handle long arcs well at all. The fact that Selina won the primary basically offscreen (and the general election stuff is almost as won) still rankles.

So much potentially great material wasted.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I'm new to this show but I have seriously fallen in love with Gary Cole because of it

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Veep just won emmies for best comedy series, best comedy writing, best supporting comedy actor (Tony Hale) and best lead comedy actress (JLD). This is her what? Fourth in a row? Well deserved.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

text editor posted:

I'm new to this show but I have seriously fallen in love with Gary Cole because of it

It's probably an age thing but to me he'll always be Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Excited for the VEEP wins, well deserved.

• Locked thread