Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perhaps you (or that jackass who took your promotion and keeps rubbing his ill-gotten money in your face) own a fancy new vehicle with keyless proximity entry and ignition. If not perhaps you've seen it advertized during the 23 minutes of commercials that accompany every half hour of television: walk up to your car with the fob in your pocket, reach for the handle and it unlocks! Press the button marked "start" and the car fires up and you're off. Magic!

Well it would be a great idea but we all know the track record of every single automaker when it comes to up-to-date electronics and not cutting corners wherever possible. Turns out those proximity keys are hilariously vulnerable to a relay attack. See.. the cars only unlock if the key is close, and they determine if the key is close by using really low signal levels to communicate with the key fob. So all an attacker has to do is boost that signal enough so that the fob and car can hear each other and the car will unlock just as though the fob were in the attacker's hand. Note that the attacker doesn't need to break the rolling code used in the fob (which itself is not exactly secure and vulnerable to a combination of jamming and replaying intercepted codes) but jut has to stand there with a little battery powered signal booster that will amplify and repeat the outgoing signal from the car and the incoming signal from the fob.

These boosters are already out in the wild too, and cheap:

quote:

In recent months, there has been a slew of mysterious car break-ins in my Los Feliz neighborhood in Los Angeles. What’s odd is that there have been no signs of forced entry. There are no pools of broken glass on the pavement and no scratches on the doors from jimmied locks.

But these break-ins seem to happen only to cars that use remote keyless systems, which replace traditional keys with wireless fobs. It happened to our neighbor Heidi, who lives up the hill and has a Mazda 3. It happened to Simon, who lives across the street from me and has a Toyota Prius.

And it happened to our Prius, not once, but three times in the last month.

The most recent incident took place on a Monday morning 10 days ago. I was working at my kitchen table, which overlooks the street in front of my house. It was just after 9 a.m., when one of my perky-eared dogs started to quietly growl at something outside.

I grabbed my coffee cup and wandered to the window, where I saw two teenagers on bikes (one girl, one boy) stop next to my 2013 gray Prius.

I watched as the girl, who was dressed in a baggy T-shirt and jeans, hopped off her bike and pulled out a small black device from her backpack. She then reached down, opened the door and climbed into my car.

As soon as I realized what had happened, I ran outside and they quickly jumped on their bikes and took off. I rushed after them, partly with the hope of catching the attempted thieves, but more because I was fascinated by their little black device. How were they able to unlock my car door so easily?

I finally found what seems like the most plausible answer when I spoke to Boris Danev, a founder of 3db Technologies, a security company based in Switzerland. Mr. Danev specializes in wireless devices, including key fobs, and has written several research papers on the security flaws of keyless car systems.

When I told him my story, he knew immediately what had happened. The teenagers, he said, likely got into the car using a relatively simple and inexpensive device called a “power amplifier.”

He explained it like this: In a normal scenario, when you walk up to a car with a keyless entry and try the door handle, the car wirelessly calls out for your key so you don’t have to press any buttons to get inside. If the key calls back, the door unlocks. But the keyless system is capable of searching for a key only within a couple of feet.

Mr. Danev said that when the teenage girl turned on her device, it amplified the distance that the car can search, which then allowed my car to talk to my key, which happened to be sitting about 50 feet away, on the kitchen counter. And just like that, open sesame.

“It’s a bit like a loudspeaker, so when you say hello over it, people who are 100 meters away can hear the word, ‘hello,’ ” Mr. Danev said. “You can buy these devices anywhere for under $100.” He said some of the lower-range devices cost as little as $17 and can be bought online on sites like eBay, Amazon and Craigslist.

It has also been happening in my neighborhood in Austin TX, as well as some of the wealthier suburbs out to the west of the city. New-ish cars with proximity keys, rifled through overnight, with no alarms triggered. Security camera footage appears to show someone walking up to the car, the car unlocking, and then them stealing whatever they find. I guess these things have gotten cheap enough and the cars common enough that there is profit to be made with using them even for petty theft. Considering that automakers are likely to push proximity keys hard after the GM ignition switch clusterfuck... this could be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
Thanks for posting, this is interesting. Cars parked outside a restaurant or strip mall would be extremely vulnerable.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
It's interesting that it's taken so long for this to become an issue. I think the first time I was ever in a car with a proximity key was 10 years ago. So that's a decade worth of targets to pile up before this exploit went mainstream.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I started a subaru BRZ in the showroom because the key was in the building. Sales guy didn't find it funny.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hmm... this might explain how my car got broken into without any signs of forced entry with both keys being inside the house. They didn't do anything other than riffle through the glove box and center console, but still had me confused as to how it happened.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Put keychain in metal box. Problem solved until they figure out how to break the rolling code stuff. :effort:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

McMadCow posted:

It's interesting that it's taken so long for this to become an issue. I think the first time I was ever in a car with a proximity key was 10 years ago. So that's a decade worth of targets to pile up before this exploit went mainstream.

I think it is mostly that the circuitry needed to do it has gotten much, much cheaper. Bonus if you find some backwater factory to assemble a few thousand.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Oh yes, SDRs are marvellously cheap, now anyone can do this without having to understand radios, only computers. Of course if you wrote software for it too, than literally anyone could do it.

I read this much earlier today and I've been thinking about it all day. I'll see if I can rig up a rudimentary model. If not, I'll go troll the darknets for you guys and see if anyone is selling them. I looked on ebay but didn't find anything. If ready to go versions of this are being sold, they're being sold under some euphemism.

SperginMcBadposter: why use a metal box?

I read about this idea something like 5 or 6 years ago, its fascinating to see it in the wild.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This is really interesting, because a buddy of mine just leased a new Mustang with proximity keys.

One of the things we tested was how the owner's manual said the car would not start without the key inside. So he stood right next to the car while his wife tried to start it, and no go. I'm not sure how it detects inside or out, if it's just a low range signal that can be boosted or not, but it is clearly a different signal than the unlock signal.

I will tell him about this tomorrow though, even though he and his wife are paranoid and this will really piss them off. I'll suggest the metal lockbox for the Mustang keys.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Top Gear already showed that you can do this without even using an amplifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aU09WT5rXg&t=186s

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Always seemed like a truly godawful idea to me just waiting for a exploit. Very interesting and remarkably simple exploit too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seems like rather than depending on low signal propagation they ought to just use some sophisticated timing to analyze the delay and calculate distance from that. Speed of light and all that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

revmoo posted:

Seems like rather than depending on low signal propagation they ought to just use some sophisticated timing to analyze the delay and calculate distance from that. Speed of light and all that.

But the circuitry and tolerances required in the fob to do that with reasonable battery life would reduce the profit in the $400 that they charge to replace them from mustache twirling levels to merely an exorbitant markup.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

spog posted:

Top Gear already showed that you can do this without even using an amplifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aU09WT5rXg&t=186s

This was the exact same thing I thought of when I saw these articles start popping up on the news. That was one of the best episodes ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I never liked the idea of a proximity ignition anyways, because I always knew this was going to be more like a multicast broadcast system than any sort of actual targeted key system. But even then, I really don't want my cars ignition signature blasting out for anyone to sniff.

• Locked thread