Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
I just got a gym membership and I really need to replace my ratty old pair of sneakers.
I'm going to try my hand at running again (even though I find running to be one of the most boring forms of exercise in the world) but mostly I plan to do some lifting and some crossfit style stuff.

So I walked into a footlocker and realized that I had no idea what the difference between the shoes was. Since I didn't trust the sales person not to try to upsell me on useless junk I turned around and walked out.

I don't need anything fancy and I don't care about logos or which celebrity endorses the shoes but if there are features that actually increase comfort or safety I'm willing to spend a bit extra on it.

The internet has lots of advice and I'm pretty suspicious of a lot of it. So instead I'm going to ask a bunch of Internet Goons what they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
You can buy shoes with money.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Go to a store and try a bunch on?

For lifting usually people go with pretty flat-soled shoes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SeventhUncle posted:

I just got a gym membership and I really need to replace my ratty old pair of sneakers.
I'm going to try my hand at running again (even though I find running to be one of the most boring forms of exercise in the world) but mostly I plan to do some lifting and some crossfit style stuff.

So I walked into a footlocker and realized that I had no idea what the difference between the shoes was. Since I didn't trust the sales person not to try to upsell me on useless junk I turned around and walked out.

I don't need anything fancy and I don't care about logos or which celebrity endorses the shoes but if there are features that actually increase comfort or safety I'm willing to spend a bit extra on it.

The internet has lots of advice and I'm pretty suspicious of a lot of it. So instead I'm going to ask a bunch of Internet Goons what they think.

Honestly, just get something that feels comfortable. I work out and lift in shoes I got from Marshall's. In terms of lifting, your form is going to go a lot farther than what kind of shoe you wear. For cardio exercise, the type of exercise is going to matter a lot more than what shoe you wear.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Get some Nike Airs.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Kill yourself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's not complicated, just go in a store, find shoes you think look good and then try them on. Buy the one that feels the nicest. All running shoes are going to have pretty comparable "features". In the end it's not really going to matter. You could lift and run in cowboy boots if you really wanted to. There is no "#1 top ranked Shoe", it varies from person to person.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Check watch and weight subforum forum for less douchey responses. I think there's a running megathread and maybe a shoe thread as well.

Tastic
Jun 3, 2005

I reccomend Vivo Barefoot shoes. With lifting you dont want a lot of cushion because it can throw off your form but running you might need cushion depending on a million reasons. Since it sounds like your just starting out, just get some decent Nikes or whatever. Mizunos are nice.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
The best thing to do is get properly measured. If a salesperson sticks their thumb down to feel where your toe is inside the shoe, or measures only the end of the toe, get up and walk out. You need some room at the end, yes, but it is much more important for the ball of your foot to hit the corresponding part of the shoe. This is where the shoe is designed to flex, just like your foot. A lot of people think they need wider shoes because they feel tight, when in reality you're stuffing the ball into a more narrow part of the shoe.

Another easy thing I can think of is, if you feel pain in your small toes, flip the shoe over and look at the bottom. You'll have to excuse my poor tablet drawing skills here:

See how this shoe is not symmetrical in the toe box? As in, the left side has more area than the right? A shoe that is more like this:

might be more beneficial to you.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If you're not going to be running long distances then probably any kind of crosstraining shoe that fits you properly is fine.

On the other hand if you're planning to get up around 10k or more on a regular basis you will want to get the right kind of shoe. Go to an athletics or running store where they can give you some decent advice. They'll probably take a look at your feet and your stride a bit to try to help figure out what kind of support you need.

Whatever you do, if you're going to do much running at all, do not let them sell you a shoe that isn't your size. Lots of stores will try to sell you a shoe that's a half size off your proper size if they don't have your size in stock. Do not do this under any circumstances and I wouldn't buy anything from someone who tried that sales tactic on me.

e: to be clear, I'm not an expert on all the different features of dedicated distance running shoes and can't really help you pick one. However, I got properly fitted at a store dedicated to runners and after 5 seasons of running in the shoes they picked for me I have never had a blister, never had shin splints, knee issues, ankle issues, any of it.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 19, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Chicks dig Nikes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Lifting dorks buy different shoes than running dorks.

NoTreble
Apr 18, 2015
for lifting the shoes don't really matter, any pair of shoes is fine. for running and cardio type of exercise then shoes definitely matter. you want a nice good pair of running shoes, with plenty of ankle support and padding to coushin the force of your body weight as you run. and you also want a tight fitting shoe, as you don't want the shoe slipping around or anything as this can cause ankle injuries and etc.

also, just as a general note, i would recommend bike riding or swimming as much better forms of exercise then running. running is very damaging to the knees, ankle and hip joints as it puts alot of strain on them. your literally jolting these joints with your entire body weight each step.

bike riding is better in this regard as it has minimal impact. meaning you are much less likely to be injured from bike riding as it is less strenuous on the bodies joints. also, bike riding is more fun, and you can cover more distance. i suggest finding some nice trails in your area and riding through the forrest/farm lands/whatever trails you have in the area.

but in my opinion the best cardio exercise by far is swimming. it literally has no impact on the body at all, and utilizes the entire body. so you get a full body work out. its also great for the lungs, and feels good too.

and also also, my favourite cardio exercise is training boxing. it is a great way to stay in shape, and again is a full body workout that also engages your mind. rather then just standard running, biking or swimming which is generally pretty monotonous and mentally vacant. boxing instead you have to think and react, and learn things. you have to master the techniques and think about what your doing. highly recommend training boxing for a variety of reasons.

sorry to digress but yes, nice well padded tight fitting comfortable shoes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NoTreble posted:

for lifting the shoes don't really matter, any pair of shoes is fine. for running and cardio type of exercise then shoes definitely matter. you want a nice good pair of running shoes, with plenty of ankle support and padding to coushin the force of your body weight as you run. and you also want a tight fitting shoe, as you don't want the shoe slipping around or anything as this can cause ankle injuries and etc.

also, just as a general note, i would recommend bike riding or swimming as much better forms of exercise then running. running is very damaging to the knees, ankle and hip joints as it puts alot of strain on them. your literally jolting these joints with your entire body weight each step.

bike riding is better in this regard as it has minimal impact. meaning you are much less likely to be injured from bike riding as it is less strenuous on the bodies joints. also, bike riding is more fun, and you can cover more distance. i suggest finding some nice trails in your area and riding through the forrest/farm lands/whatever trails you have in the area.

but in my opinion the best cardio exercise by far is swimming. it literally has no impact on the body at all, and utilizes the entire body. so you get a full body work out. its also great for the lungs, and feels good too.

and also also, my favourite cardio exercise is training boxing. it is a great way to stay in shape, and again is a full body workout that also engages your mind. rather then just standard running, biking or swimming which is generally pretty monotonous and mentally vacant. boxing instead you have to think and react, and learn things. you have to master the techniques and think about what your doing. highly recommend training boxing for a variety of reasons.

I definitely think swimming and biking are great, but if those don't appeal to you (or you don't have a pool nearby) also consider an elliptical trainer, assuming you have access to one. It's sort of like running, but without all the nasty impacts on your joints (which, although I liked running, definitely did a number on me, since my body is already a bit hosed up). Biking was definitely better when I lived in a nice place to do it, but now that I live downtown and don't have a place for a bike or the inclination to bike in traffic, I'm pretty much reduced to using a stationary bike, and those get boring real goddamn fast.

I'm renting a place with its own pool next month, though, so I'm going to be excited to get swimming again.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Counterpoint: Bike riding leaves you sterile and impotent.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

NoTreble posted:

This sounds really cool. But how does it stack up in terms of long term health problems? It feels like it's got to be pretty intense on your body.

For slightly less of a derail, consider tennis. Although you could get court shoes, really any cross-trainer works well and if you're relatively careful about it you can do it forever. It's really fun to play versus other people, but there are also satisfying & aerobic drills. For me doing a sport outside of general fitness also helped with motivation for the ither things I did (i.e. swim those laps to get better cardio to have better endurance on the court etc.) Depending on where you live there should be public courts around, at least in the summer, so now would be a good time to try it out.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i use new balance shoes, op, theyre p good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i also wore a lovely pair of $20 everlasts once that were also okay but they fell apart after a couple months, so just use whatever, i guess

e:

NoTreble posted:

and also also, my favourite cardio exercise is training boxing. it is a great way to stay in shape, and again is a full body workout that also engages your mind. rather then just standard running, biking or swimming which is generally pretty monotonous and mentally vacant.

gonna dispute the "biking" part here because if you get a mountain bike which is a million times better than a normal bike, biking is fun as hell. the shoes are pretty expensive though if you get into the clipless poo poo.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoTreble
Apr 18, 2015
i just use a standard 10 year old mountain bike and wear any shoes. i dont have any of the professional clip in shoes or anything. i guess those would cost more if you were gettin a top of the line setup. but any mountain bike with a decent set of gears should be enough to get a good workout on.

• Locked thread