Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +2 | Dark -1
Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Tea House| Conditions:

My father's name.

I come out of my requiem clutching the tunic of my guard so tightly that I'm strangling him. It's Alain. He was with me in the plaza, where the priest was hanged, and he's trying hard not to show his discomfort. I let go, clutching my head.

"My lord, are you... alright?" he asks, massaging the life back into his throat.

I don't answer. My father's name. Va Sira. I can still feel her desperate need in my gut. I shake my head, willing the vision away.

So that's what I'd look like if I'd been born my father's son.

I don't understand all of it, but I don't need the details spelled out. Charles... Frost? Or if he was born in the East, Charles Spice. A bastard; my father's bastard. I never met the man, and have no right to be disappointed, but.... Okay. The Black Knight is my half brother. That's what Va Sira wanted to show me, and it explains her odd asides during our conversation. That explains some other things as well. Is this a revenge thing? Does he want to take my place at the head of House Wick? I need to know more, and i have a feeling Va Sira isn't going to tell me any more, even if I ever do see her again.

And, of course, she's a witch.

And that makes me think of Eitna, for some reason, and that reminds me that I did learn one other concrete fact; something I can use. Voljek's Armor. I've never heard of it, but Eitna was going to help Idren in the library...

Across town, some time later, I knock gently on the door to the library before peering inside. "Ei-- Lady Braonain? Lady Kosir? Are you in here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Grand Keep - Halls of Wisdom | Conditions: drained, terrified

“Of course,” I tell Lady Valentine. “Right away.”

I need to get out of here, before I incur any more wrath. I'm sorry, Eris, but at least you have a family relationship with her to protect you. I speed toward the door at the fastest pace I can without actually running. Hopefully no one tries to stop me.

Rolling to Run Away
<Klingon> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Klingon, 5-1 = 4
I just realized you already gave me a hard move last time, so you can save this one for later, if you'd prefer.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hot: -1 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 2
Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Library | Conditions: Bringer of Doom, One of them, Difficult, Drained

"You know know now that I think of it." Holding a book in my hands wistfully, "I am not sure how I will get in there without you inviting me, and if we do attack her, won't her guards surround us?" I thoughtfully said, the task set before us was ominous to say the least, and worst of all this was the head of a house. Now was not the time to be seen as an assassin in court and that thought shook me out of the very fevered thoughts and lusts that had coursed through my brain. At least, I had been faithful and not sullied our friendship like I had managed with Cordi. Was she lost forever? I didn't know, but I felt that I was the one that had caused it all.

"Lady Kosir, I think it might be more prudent to attempt to lure her out, maybe a love let-" I was stopped by a knock on the door, and hearing Morgan calling for me. I felt the thrill and very justified in my temperance of my more base desires. This was my paramour, though Idren had tugged a string in me, I felt better with myself for this moment.

"Sire Morgan! We are over here!" I said looking over to Idren with a warm smile, "With the Sire we can vanquish her even in her strongest of defenses. You will see." I gave her a warm smile and then almost bounced on my toes as I moved to invite Morgan into our intimate corner of the book pile.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Tea House| Conditions:

I enter the room and pause. I can taste the charged atmosphere; I can practically feel it in my sinuses. Idren looks away when I enter, and Eitna's cheeks are flushed, her freckles standing out like stars.

"I discovered something about the Black Knight," I say slowly. "The name of his armor, and where it came from. It's from the far north, across the Everfrost, and it's called 'Voljeck's Armor.'" I shrug. "I thought, perhaps, there was something in the books about it." I smile at Lady Idren. "And the two of you are ever so much more learned than I, so I came here."

I sit down on the books, near Eitna. "What's going on?" For, clearly, something is.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 3/4 | Location: Hunting | Conditions: Little Rose

I let out a horrified cry of pain, falling back off of the boar's tusk and into a heap on the ground, blood pouring everywhere, both from my wound and the boars. My vision is blurred from the agony, and I can barely focus on the boar now, or any of the voices around me. Second to the pain, the only thing I can feel now is pure shame, how could I have failed my prince so badly? He knew I could handle this, and I'd failed him! I was dying, I could feel it, the blood leaving me, the warmth going out of the world. What could I do now? Die? I'd failed my prince so completely, I might as well...

Just as I was about to give up and let the boar finish the job, I heard the Prince's voice among the crowd, calling for me. He still cared, even though I'd failed him! I could finish the job at least! My fingers tightened their grip on the handle of my knife, now slick with blood, and I thrust it upwards again at the boar, putting what little strength remaining in my body behind it.

Lash Out (+1 for favor)
8:08:33 PM godfish !r 2d6
8:08:34 PM Krysmbot godfish, 8 = 8
Giving it a string

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Library | Conditions: Bringer of Doom, One of them, Difficult, Drained

"If you know where it was forged you might be able to find a weakness perhaps a scale loose on the wyrms hide." I said, my hands on my hands and quickly meeting Morgan's thigh with a meaningful touch. "I was speaking with Lady Kosir and her attempts to take down a Night Hag, or as it is better known, a Vampyre." I say trying to force my tongue to wrestle with the words I wasn't use too. "She has tried to seduce and draw Lady Kosir into her coven, and I fear for her very life and soul." I showed Morgan the pictures that Idren had given me to emphasize the point. I felt it very important to add, "Of course, I shared her, our good news and I feel we have made her a little shy being in the same place."

My pointed reply, and my hand circling Morgan's letting her know that I was hers, and that her secret was safe. "We were going to meet with Lady Darnell and exorcise her from this world to wherever those vengeful souls go." I said looking at Morgan pleadingly, "She has guards and servants in the way, and we so could use your help. I think with Lady Kosir's exhaustive library and knowledge, we could be able to find out about Voljeck's Armor. If it was named there must be tales told of it."

I smile sweetly and innocently, my eyes flashing toward Idren in a warm manner and very tellingly that I did see her warmly, but Morgan... I could not stray from her.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Scene 7 (Continued)
This scene will probably be coming to an end in a set of prompts or two. Still need Roland Jones or Sawful to get in contact with me, would rather not have to replace either.

Grand Keep - Halls of Wisdom
Eris - "It's your job to know everything about the Keep, Eris - where gold is stored is certainly a part of that." She doesn't even look at you for that - preferring to study some map quite intensely, Cassandra opposite her.

Her grins intensifies as she whispers some comment to Cassandra - it's almost rictus-like - and her cold eyes fall upon you. "Cassandra knew at your age." With that, she goes back to what she was doing - likely leaving you smoldering with rage. Also, no immediate help in paying the guard. Still, you could probably find it, or perhaps pilfer something from some corner of the hall? What do you do?

Grand Keep - Corridors
Sylvius - Scampering off, you make it out of the Halls of Wisdom unopposed, the stare of Eris's mother somehow having shaken you to your core. It's hard to get the way she looked at you out of your mind... it's like you were totally insignificant, just an insect before her. She could've destroyed you, and there'd have been no repercussions for her at all. Still, you're free now. Where do you end up? Who's there that you didn't anticipate?

Gain condition Pawn.

The Royal Woods
Rosemonde– The boar's final shriek is silenced by the thrust of the dagger - the beast collapses, pulling your still-impaled torso down with it. Blood leaks everywhere, both yours and its, and you can die happy - you've slain it, just as your Prince asked. "gently caress!" You hear a voice roar, a mountain of a blur springing into sight and beheading the already dead thing with a savage swing. It bends down, and picks both you and the head up at once, keeping the tusk firmly in place. It's hardly dignified, being carried back towards the hunting party by what's probably Victor (or you're delirious, which is actually kinda likely), but on the other hand you just slew a giant boar that could've killed trained knights by yourself, you have reason to be proud. "She needs a healer!" You hear Ser Tavros shout, who pretty clearly has a good grasp of the situation. A gaggle of courtiers and guards move to surround you, no one seeming to know what to do to help you.

Your Prince looks slightly less together - he actually looks nauseous. Something about it, it reminds you of him when he was younger, more carefree. "R-Rosemonde?" He stammers, then springs into action. "Get her onto the cart, we'll take her back to the King's Wisdom. Can't have her having any ugly scars, right?" Scars? Shouldn't he be amazed you're not dead? What do you say to his plan? Shouldn't you have gotten more recognition for your deed?

Grand Keep - The Royal Library
Eitna, Idren, and Morgan - There's not much time before Lady Idren's "dinner" with Priscilla. What do each of you retrieve from your separate dwelling places that will likely aid you? Are there any followers you wish to bring along? Where are the three of you meeting up? What do you notice that's not quite right about her manner, or that just has you on edge?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hot +0 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: the Grand Library - Stacks | Conditions: admires women, suspected traitor, blamed

There's no helping it; when Ser Morgan arrives I can feel my cheeks flush with heat. My discomfiture must be plain as day. Curse you, oh my heart, for it pains me so to see them embrace each other!

Coughing awkwardly, I stammer out the sketch of a plan, unable to look either one in the eyes. Lady Eitna and Ser Morgan... merely being in their presence is making me feel lightheaded, and I speak far too quickly, my words boorish and incautious. "Y- yes! I would feel far safer were you to serve as my, my protector, in this, good Ser Morgan, and I should gladly help you against the Black Knight in return. I fear no danger if I am with you." Instantly I regret speaking; he is Eitna's, and I am being far too forward. I owe it to her - to both of them - to hide my feelings. "As for Lady Priscilla! Ehrm, perhaps Lady o'Braonain has the right of it, and we may draw her forth from her lair through subterfuge. She seems quite confident in her own superiority, and her... control of me. This may be her undoing." I squirm uneasily. "I- I shall pen a note to her, as you suggest, and try to act infatuated, confused. Say that I await her by the Fountain of Ser Caelmon -- that lies in the plaza right before her door, and the plaza is large enough that you may both lie in wait for the right moment to act."

Trembling, I pull the feathered ornament from my hair, allowing my ever-unruly hair to fall down my back in riotous curls. Lessaren will scold me for sure, that I've so ruined her careful work. After a moment's hesitation, I hand my prize over to Eitna, and force myself to meet her gaze, but for a moment. "My life is in your hands. Please..."

Gazing into those eyes, I know that I can say no more, else my heart would surely break. "I - I must go, and prepare. Yes." I tell myself it is not a lie: I must find Oren, explain to her the plan, entrust her with my beloved bow. While Eitna and Morgan wait in the shadows of the plaza, I shall charge Oren with getting as near to the Darnell's house as she dares, that she may intervene if all else fails. Regardless of what I may say to Eitna, it may be Oren that keeps me alive tonight; eight send that her eye is sharp and her hands are steady.

I flee from the library, hiding my tears, and absolve the two lovers of the burden of my company.

The sky beyond the archways of the holdfast is an impatient grey, the air heavy with impending rain. As I hurry down the steps, thunder rolls in the distance.

A bad omen.

As we discussed on IRC, I'm trading a string on Priscilla and a token on me to Eitna, in exchange for two strings on her. Oh, and I'm implicitly promising not to flirt with Morgan.

Run Away: 2d6-1 5

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Library | Conditions:

"Priscilla is a vampire?" I ask. "Priscilla? With the hair?" That's a lot to take in. And she's seducing.... oh. My eyes flick from Idren to Eitna. Okay, now the room's atmosphere makes slightly more sense, as well as the hand currently resting on my thigh.

"Of course, I'll protect you," I assure Lady Kosir as she stands to go. She seems terrified. "We cannot suffer a vampire to live among us."

As she leaves, I turn to Eitna. There's things I need to do, to tell her, but first... I cover her hands with mine, draw her towards me, and kiss her.

"Sorry," I say, as I break the kiss. "I needed that. In case there's not time later." Then, before things can progress any further, I stand.

"There's two things I need to tell you that i didn't tell Lady Kosir," I say bluntly. "Princess Va Sira is a witch, and she is on the side of the Black Knight. She showed me a vision." I take a deep breath. "She showed me that the Black Knight is my half-brother. My father's bastard. I think that's why he's here; for me."

"I'm going to fetch my weapons, so that we can lay a proper ambush," I tell Eitna. "But I needed to warn you. Beware Va Sira, or anyone who looks like me."

------------------------------------------

From my quarters I fetch a shield, and a good crossbow. I have other weaponry, but nothing more dangerous than Fuerschein. I don't have any holy water, or whatever works on Vampires. In retrospect, perhaps we should have asked Idren if her books contained any knowledge of Vampiric vulnerabilities.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Grand Keep - Corridors->Gardens | Conditions: drained, terrified, pawn

After everything that has just happened, all the misery I have endured, I just need to get away, to anywhere. I let my feet carry me where they may, all while keeping my head down, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible. I want to see Tavros, desperately, but I know I don't deserve to. It seems my feet agree, because the next I am aware of my surroundings, I am inside my garden. Everything is so quiet and still, it feels like even my ethereal passage is a disturbance to the flowers. But I can't walk any more quietly no matter how I try.

As I pass by an arch entwined with white roses, my hand comes up to the one resting in my eye socket. I gently stroke its dark petals and think. How can I be free of the power of the d'Montaignes? They are the only ones who know the truth about me, and that gives them so much control over me. As I turn the question in my head over and over again, I see Lady Eris before me. So clearly, in fact, that I wonder for a moment whether or not she's actually there.

Gazing into the Abyss about how to get these liches off my back.
Klingon> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Klingon, 4+2 = 6
Can I tap any of my conditions here, maybe Pawn? If so, I pick confusing and alarming visions.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Exp: 3/5 | Harm 2/4 | Location: The Gardens | Conditions: Listened, Klutz, Terrified

In the wake of yet another insulting dismissal from Mother, Eris swiftly flees. If she were the weak-willed type, like Lady Rosemonde or some other simpering courtier, she would be sobbing desperately as she goes. Instead, in her rage, she plots. She knows Mother is keeping something very important from her -- Eris may be unclear on the details of the wrinkled old hag's role in the deaths of her Sisters, but she is becoming more and more certain that she was involved somehow. After Eris's recent treatment, she doesn''t doubt that Mother is capable of such betrayal; Eris had already seen the woman's vindictive streak against others first-hand. But to engage in such actions against members of her own Family? That was too much, even for an amoral undead necromancer. And now she and Lord Lothier were both being ordered about like pawns in Mother's little game. Well, let's see how Mother likes it when she is on the receiving end of such treatment. But how best to gain advantage over her?

Gazing: Plotting my Revenge: 2d6+2 10. I'll carry +1 forward for revenge against Mother, and also find a Hidden String on someone (Mother, hopefully) with Beyond the Veil.
For that matter, I'm still waiting on the insight into Mother's plotting that my partially-successful Hold Steady roll earned me.

Sylvius... Eris thinks. Mother is always trying to interfere in my life, maybe Sylvius is a way to get back at her, to show her that I am my own person deserving of respect, and perhaps even fear (though really, what is the difference between the two?). Mother would scoff at such a choice of partner, of course, but that just makes him even more perfect...

She saw Sylvius departing at nearly the same time as her, and she had a pretty good notion of where he was going. Taking one of the secret passages, she emerges into the grounds of the Keep just as she hears Lord Lothier himself approaching through the Gardens. Perfect!

"Why Lord Sylvius," Eris begins coyly as he comes into view, "you departed so swiftly I did not have the chance to speak as I have desired. It appears that we are in the same predicament: both ordered about by a heartless woman who cares little for our well-being." She steps closer, close enough to smell the decaying rose in his eye. "In fact, there is much that we share. Both of us have tasted life, and death. Indeed, you know what I am, and I know what you are; there are no secrets to come between us. Perhaps it is time that we shared even more, and deepened the natural trust engendered our circumstances." Eris concludes huskily, "I wish to show you something -- will you come with me?"

Seducing Sylvius: 2d6+1 5 Tagging Pawn to bring that to a 6; if I can use my newly-acquired +1 forward to stick it to Mother, the final result is a partial success.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 3/4 | Location: Hunting | Conditions: Little Rose

I feel a fleeting burst of satisfaction as I feel the boar die, instead of the revulsion I thought I would, but even that emotion doesn't last long compared to the pair. As Victory beheads the fallen beast and sweeps me up, my only though is the rather vague one, shouldn't they take the tusk out of me? Raising my hand to try and do the job myself, my arm barely moves an inch before falling feebly back down, I don't have the strength.

When Tormas calls my name, I reach out again, drawing on the strength his presence and concern is giving me, and nearly manage to reach him before my arm falls again. Why is he worried about scars, when I killed the boar! I killed it, just like he asked! "...my... P...rince..." My voice is halting and feeble, barely more than a whisper, but I continued, I had to let him know. "I... did it..."

Wait, scars! I couldn't have scars! No no nononono! I looked up weakly at Victor, more tears than just the tears of pain that were already flowing forming in my eyes. "hurry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I looked back and forth between Morgan and Idren and realized the sting of jealousy in my heart of hearts, she wanted us both, that explained it. Oh, how I wished we could all discover each other in that fashion, but it took only a moment to remember Morgan's fierce gaze and hurt tears to allay that thought. I wouldn't dark bring up something so scandalous even though my heart and my desire wanted it so. After all, if but one love is given to each of us, should it not be moral and right to do so totally? I could only suspect, but I had to focus on Morgan's hurt heart more than my carnal lusts and wants.

"Morgan is a good soul, the best over all of the knights." I said honestly and looked to Idren, "I will use it to help protect you my dear, if she turns you, you will not hurt us." I promised very solemnly and clasped the broach like a gift from a lover. My eyes searched her owns and I felt our desires meet for a moment, before she got up to prepare. I waved to her back and turned to Morgan, to give her my loving kiss back. My face now much more blushed than before, and my senses tingling with the excitement of contact.

Looking over my shoulder for a moment and then back to Morgan, "I needed that too. I missed you terribly though we have only been apart a few moments." I say in a crude and blunt fashion that such a whispered love should have, my hands in Morgan's as I rose to my feet with her.

"A witch? The black knight is your brother? Oh no, if you fall, or you are revealed to the court, he would take everything from you." I gasped and wondered briefly a evil thought. A cottage, two disgraced noblewomen working the land together like my ma taught me too. A rose garden and a tree, no responsibilities, only love and our companionship. It was a brief thought, but I can only imagine the sacrifices Morgan has made to be here, to maintain her family name. She was not a farmer, nor a woman who would settle for for a cottage, at least not the woman I fell in love with.

Before Morgan to pull herself from my arms, I say, "We must have some way for me to tell it is you love. If she can take your form, I fear that she might use you against me. Maybe a phrase or a sign, anything?" I ask desperate, "All mine would take too long to teach you the language."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morgan finally tearing from my side, I go in search of Keelin. My abused and discarded friend who had been there through thick and thin. I found her not in the Mansion, but rather on a street corner with a package in her arms, guiding from it it was a package from the mainland. She looked at me a sighed in relief as I helped her with it.

I looked into her eyes as she tried to tell me about her day and nodded, just letting her talk and share with me. It had been something I had never given her, and it was important, but this fight was more important.

"Keelin, my dear, It is time. I will need our best guards waiting, there is a hag among us. Priscilla of the Darnells. Bring the torches, who knows how far she has reached. If we stumble, have them storm it." I said seriously, her eyes aghast, and it was no longer me talking. Not truly.

• Locked thread