Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

The Cast:
1. Julius Sinactio The Slytherin Queen by K Prime
2. Maxine Collingwood-Vocaine The Slytherin Hollow by LurksWithWolves
3. Natalie Saul The Slytherin Chosen by Rauri
4. Fergie Lowell The Gryffindor Werewolf by thatbastardken

Teachers
Prof. Shewsbury: DADA Teacher, Sponsor of the Private Dueling Society. She's enthusiastic, frustrated by slow curriculum.
Prof. Collingwood: Charms Teacher, young, 'charming', cool mysterious and subject of unspeakable rumors. Maxine's "mom."
Prof. Angle: Transfiguration Teacher, young, male, attractive! Runs official Dueling contests. Didn't attend Hogwarts, doesn't allow photos taken.
Prof. Susan Armstrong: Doesn't appear to teach anything. Rumored to be school security, possibly an Auror. Former(?) family friend of Ma Lowell. Keeps putting Fergie in detentions.

Students
Hufflepuff
Gregory Twems: Cute smile, funny jokes, going out with Arthur Richfield. Avoids Maxine.
Claire Gray: Good at Care of Magical Creatures. Pleasant, gets good grades, polite. Dating Mark Matthews.
Oliver Cauldwell: Year 7, Quidditch beater. Smells amazing to Fergie (strong, earthy smells)
Thomas: Member of the Private Dueling Society. Embodies the "Hard Work" bit the Hufflepuff creed and increasingly angry that it wasn't resulting in any recognition.
Norton: Had been complaining about Julius' "ill intentions" and "nasty cultism" until Julius helped him into the club.
Teritolous Arentino: Goes by Terry. Pureblood, rich, first of his family in generations to not be a Slytherin. How did he end up in Hufflepuff?

Ravenclaw
Arthur Richfield: Seeker, going out with Gregory Twems.
Mark Matthews: Keeper for the Quidditch team. Natalie fancies him but he's dating Claire Gray.
Edmund Heathcliff: Brooding potions prodigy. Old family, suspicious lack of history during the Wizarding Wars.
Zhong Chou: Thinks he's clever, snoops around where he isn't wanted and asks really personal questions. Currently looking at Fergie.
Regina: Member of the Private Dueling Society. Would be Slytherin if she didn't like reading so much. Tends toward physical aggression. Fell hard for Julius.
Anna Stewart: Year 5. Imperiused to break into the potions office. Saved by Natalie.

Slytherin
Jennifer Hoyle: Maxine's best friend, charming, intelligent, single.
Alora: Member of the Private Dueling Society. 100% obviously out to usurp Julius. Easy to handle.
Talia Barker: Imperiused to watch Peeves location at all times. Saved by Natalie.
Don Matson: Quidditch Beater, generally quiet, but seems to have friends in all the houses.

Gryffindor
Esmeralda Thatcher: Snores. Muggle-born, despite being sixth year is still painfully excited about magic and Hogwarts.
Simon Sewett: Skin condition. Not using Horcruxes.
Herbert Strong: Imperiused to break into the DADA office. Saved by Natalie.
Catulus Caecilious: Dull dull dull, Jennifer claims he has a thing for Maxine.
Shirley Holmgren: Quidditch Chaser. Good at Dueling, wants to get better. Popular among Gryffindors.
Delmont Hannily: Responsible for winning Gryffindor the house cup last year. Not very popular in other houses as a result.
Cory Slate: Terrible. Part of a connection chain to Fergie.

Parents
Mr. Saul: Editor at the Daily Prophet
Ms. Saul: Undersecretary at the Ministry
Prof. Collingwood: Charms Teacher, young, 'charming', cool mysterious and subject of unspeakable rumors. Maxine's "mom."
Ma Lowell: Proud Werewolf, big on 'ancient and sacred cultural traditions'. Spends all day doped up on Wolfsbane Potion and Valium. Big fan of Fenrir Greyback.
Da Lowell: Proud(?) Werewolf, lives in a tiny cottage in the Hebrides. Big fan of Fenrir Greyback.
Mr and Ms Sinactio: Pureblood, rich, old family.

Other
Roderick Brown: May or may not exist: A dark wizard reported to be in Hogsmeade by notes leading Natalie into a trap.

The DADA Classroom

String Sheet!

GodFish fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Act One: The Philanderer's Stones
Ahhh, November.

Rain, mud and gloomy skies are in the air, when the Halloween feast is a quickly departing memory, and the Christmas Feast, for those staying at school, is still only a distant beacon. But for this gloomy wednesday morning at least, you have a a ray of light on your horizon, the second Hogsmead weekend of the term is just three days away.

At the moment however, your attention is, or rather should be, tied up with your double-Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson. Non-verbal spells. Professor Shewsbury has explained the theory, and after some group practice, she has instructed you all to split up into pairs to practice, one partner hexing in silence, the other deflecting, verbally if necessary. Despite the theoretically quiet subject matter, the class is as noisy as ever, most students attempting to carry out conversations in the midst of practicing. Even those of you who are actually trying have heard the latest rumor going around the school, that the this weekend the headmaster is going to announce a surprise hosting of the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

Everyone
What have you heard that makes you think this might or might not be true?

Julius
Which of your friends did you pair up with? Are the other two practicing together, and is anyone feeling slighted about it?

As for the Tri-Wizard, it'd certainly be a feather in your hat if a member of your PDS was the school champion if it really happened, wouldn't it. Would that person be you, or do you have someone else in mind?

Non-verbal spells, I expect you've been practicing those in your Private Dueling Society, am I right? Speaking of that, who failed their Defense Against the Dark Arts OWL last year and has been pestering you to let them join for practice? Why have you been refusing them so far, and what about their latest attempt has you considering allowing them? Lastly, what went wrong at your last DPS meeting, and what are you still dealing with in the aftermath?

Natalie
You know from your obsessiveCompletely Normal interest in Harry Potter, that Non-verbal spells were supposed to be practiced at the start of Sixth year, not nearly three months in! Why do you think things have been delayed so long? Have you been practicing this before hand, and are you having any luck?

I'm sure it goes without saying that you'd enter the Tri-Wizard Tournament if it happened, but if they keep that age restriction, are you old enough? Obviously you'd be the best choice, but if you had to pick a second best, who would it be?

What trouble around the school caused you miss the last Hogsmead weekend, and what are you extra excited for this time? Is there anyone you'd like to ask out? As for asking out, you can't help but notice Simon Sewett a short way away from you practicing. Now that his skin condition is cleared up he's actually looking remarkably handsome and he's become rather ....busy... with some of the other girls of late, but what reason did you have for turning him down when he tried to ask you to Madam Puddifoot's this weekend?

Finally, who is that person at the end of the room who isn't here? You know they aren't sick, because Professor Shewsbury commented on their absence when she took the roll this morning.

Fergie
You probably wouldn't want to join the Tournament, would you? Not when you might go wolf in front of the entire school and a panel of judges. Who in the school do you think would have the best bet of being picked for school champion if you had to guess, and why don't you think it'd be Natalie?

On the subject of going wolf, you missed the last Hogsmead weekend due to the unfortunate proximity to the full moon, but this time you'll be able to go. Is there anything special you have planned, or hope to have planned for the weekend? Anyone in particular you'd like to take?

It isn't this weekend, but when the full moon this month anyway?

Maxine
Is this lesson coming easier or harder to you than everyone else in the classroom? You noticed Catulus trying to catch your eye when it came time for picking partners, so who did you quickly pair yourself up with, and why are you regretting it now? With someone missing, you only have 19 students in this class, who ended up the odd one out?

As the daughter of one of the Professors, you hear a bit more than the other students do. What troubling thing did she let slip to you last night about one of the students? As for students, Shirley Holmgren has been shooting you odd looks all lesson, she wasn't during your only interaction yesterday, what perfectly normal (to you) thing did you do then that you think might be the cause of this?

Hogsmead. Are you interested in going this weekend? A lot of students your age only go for dates, and you've sworn off those for now. Why did you not go last time there was a trip? And what are Jennifer's plans for the day?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Julius

Tri-wizard. As if the last debacle wasn't enough. Which means this is almost certainly true. Especially since my father had to deal with some prat of an importer who wanted to bring in a blasted wyvern for an "important purpose."

Whoops. Can't let myself get distracted, or Alora will actually get me. It's useful to let her get off some aggression here. Tends to blunt the edges of the next goofy usurpation attempt. Thomas and Regina are off trying to hit each other, and I can tell Regina is put out- perhaps she thinks Alora is a romantic rival. Well, she isn't, and Regina doesn't get to say that sort of thing, sideways glances at me aside, so whatever. She can have some time later and it'll all work out.

Thomas on the other hand, is angry. You can see it in the line of his wand, and the stiffness of his arm- he's having trouble holding himself back. But it's not aimed at me. It's aimed at everyone. Which is the point. I've been subtly slighting him for a bit, piling a bit on top of the lack of recognition. Firing him up. You see, the T-W needs someone to cheer for. After last time...

Who better than a worthy Hufflepuff?

I deflect Alora's spell with ease- we're a few lessons ahead of the curriculum. Behind her, I see Cory Slate, and suppress an undignified groan- he's looking at me again. The poor boy can't even do a Stupefy without screaming it to the heavens and still hitting an errant bird. No talent, no skill, and he's a drat Gryffindor, somehow. But... somehow, he's cozied up to Emily Thorsson, who is friends with... well, it's a bit of a chain but the point is he let slip while begging last time that he's the last link in a gossip chain that leads squarely back to "Fergie." I could use that.

He just knocked off the professor's hat. Put him down as a maybe.

Ugh, that reminds me. Going to need to quash the rumors about Billy VanZant. It's not my fault the lad claimed he could block a petrification spell and turned out to be blowing smoke, but now he's gone crying to mommy about it. He was only stone for a few minutes! And now that harridan Amelia VanZant is making a fuss by howler and letter. How did that family ever get so rich in the first place?!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Maxine Collingwood-Vocaine
Hot -1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions

Yes, the Triwizard Tournament would be a likely announcement, if all three schools were prepared to attend. But as Durmstrang has been hemorrhaging students as of late, I quite frankly doubt their ability to put forward a worthy competitor in the first place. Yes, it's not strictly necessary for them to attend, but what would it be called then? The Biwizard Tournament? Please, the jokes are just too easy.

Enough about that. I need to concentrate on this lesson, even if I would rather not. I do lean rather heavily on elocution when it comes to casting spells, after all. Helpful when it comes to Alohomora vs Alohomora. Not so helpful when it comes to casting silently. I'm still struggling not to mouth the words anyway, to be quite honest. Not that Jennifer seems to mind particularly much, of course. (I don't normally partner up with her. Catulus was about to ask and Terry has a bad habit of blindsiding his practice partners and I just panicked and went over here for a spell.) Then again, not much at all would bother Jennifer at the moment, judging by the way she keeps eyeing Simon Sewett. How am I supposed to practice if she's busy eyeing some boy? And of course Esmeralda ended up partnerless, the poor dear. I have half a mind to turn around and start practicing with her, if I'm going to just be ignored.

Then again, being ignored does give me plenty of time to think about recent events. Events like the way Mother mentioned that she might be forced to fail Don Matson if he doesn't improve his Charms scores soon. Of course, failing him means he'll be taken off the Quidditch team, and of course he's the only Beater on our team worth a drat. The team would be ruined if he got suspended. Not that I particularly care for Quidditch, but... Oh great, Shirley is looking at me again. Lovely. Not that I have a good track record when it comes to making friends around here, in any case. I didn't even ask her out or anything, I just had a bit of small talk about dueling. I picked up a fair bit of lingo from watching Julius, I thought it'd be nice to talk about it with someone that isn't part of his little circle. But ever since that incident with Gregory I've been somewhat of a persona non grata around the Quidditch pitch and I don't know, maybe she thinks I was hitting on her to get back at Greg and Arthur? Which I'm not, obviously, but it fits with what gossip I've heard coming from them. Honestly not sure why I even bother trying to talk to any of them at this rate.

And Jennifer's still trying to chat up Simon, so what else can I think about to kill a little time... Well, Hogsmeade's coming up. Last time I didn't really have a reason to go, so I just stayed in and caught up on some reading. I did get through a fair bit of Memoirs of a Nixie Hunter so it wasn't a total wash, but let me tell you this much. If you want to be gawked at by first years, reading by yourself in the common room on a Hogsmeade day is an excellent way to achieve that. I'm honestly just going to Hogsmeade this week to avoid all that nonsense again. Worst case scenario, I can just find a nice cafe to have a hot drink in. Besides, Jennifer's going down to Hogsmeade too. Apparently Dominic Maestro's has a new shipment of albums coming in that she wants to take a look at. We could just make an afternoon of that if we have to. Of course, that doesn't matter when she still isn't ready to start practicing again.

"Eyes up, Jen. We don't have all day, you know."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Natalie Saul
Hot: 1 Cold: -1 Volatile: 2 Dark: -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions:

Aha! I'd barely had time to deflect that hex. Mock-saluting my practice partner (and best friend) with my wand, I grin at her and compliment the effort. "Nice one Fergie!" Compared to a lot of the other students, we're practicing rather intently - I am, at least. Non-Verbal magic is incredibly handy, it's important that I get the hang of it if I'm ever going to be an Auror. Having practiced it on my own some, I've got the hang of using it with a few spells - the good ones: Protego, Expelliarmus, and Stupefy, and that's about it. It's weird... we should've started practicing non-verbal magic months ago! I'm sure we would've if Professor Angle was teaching DADA, and not Shrewsbury... bet she's been teaching Julius.

While we practice and most everyone else gabs, I keep hearing everyone talking about the Triwizard Tournament. There's rumours that it's going to take place again this year, the timing's right for it... I CAN'T WAIT! It has to be happening. Snooping around in the off-limits corridor on the second floor, I heard two Professors talking about "extra security measures," and "visiting students," so what else could they have been talking about? It's perfect! Just because I'm not old enough till March won't stop me; I'll figure out a way around whatever they put in between me and my goal! It has to be me, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't get picked because I'm short a few months! If I can't compete, they should pick Julius. I'd say Fergie - it'd honestly be so nice for her if she won - but I don't think she has the drive to actually care about winning. Julius is both older than me and has all those other students in his club that'd help him - I'd probably help him some too. Would be mad about it, though.

Without warning - sort of the point of non-verbal magic, but still? - Fergie sends another hex my way, and it's even harder to time Protego to deflect it than it was before. Either she's getting good at these, or being distracted at all really goofs up non-verbal casting. "Oh c'mon Fergie! That's all you got?" Little friendly taunting never hurts - bet she's gonna try and nail me with the next one.

Speaking of distractions, we have the Hogsmeade trip coming up. After missing the first one because somebody had to investigate the Obliviating showers - which turned out to be a couple fourth years with an invisibility cloak peeping, that were still bad at not getting discovered and thus needed to keep erasing memories of being found out - I'm super stoked to get to visit Hogsmeade again for the first time since fifth year.

Who do I ask out though? Since stupid Claire's already dating Mark? As far as I can tell, there's a couple acceptable options. Brian Wilcombe, who's not here today which is weird since I saw him at practice yesterday, would probably be my first choice. He's the Seeker for our team, so I've hung out with him at practices ever since I made the team. He's in the seventh year, but I think he'd still be willing to go since I'm a pureblood; wouldn't be a social problem for him. Alternatively, Don Matson's on the team too, he and I are both Beaters - which is the most fun position, by the way. He's a little quiet, but going with him would be low-key, just as friends anyways, so he's probably my backup option. Lastly there's Julius uh, Zhong Chou. Basically thinks he works for the Prophet already I think... he's snoopier than I am! Course he's also smart and magnetic, and it'd be good practice for dealing with reporters after I become famous.

I guess there's Simon Sewett? Looking over at him, it's weird to think he used to have all those spots. Actually rather handsome now, which has gone to his head - it's like he's trying to make up for lost time, asking out everyone. Not going to Madam Puddifoot's with him just because we're both snoggable - I'm Natalie Saul, I'm not just some girl. I-

"Oof!" I remark cleverly as Fergie's hex knocks me off my feet, having been too busy staring at Simon to watch out for her. Landing on my robbed butt with a wince, I laugh and tell her "I deserved that one!" Jumping back to my feet and re-assuming the ready position, I've got my game-face on now. Enough thinking about tournaments and boys, it's practice time! Let's see Fergie try and get me again.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Fergie Lowell, the Were-Wolf
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 0/4 | XP 0+1/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions:

And that's three! Natalie is clearly distracted and I'm not above taking a cheap shot. I can't help but grin as she goes arse over tit with that last hex, I've been telling her for weeks that she needs to work on her balance and focus. I'm readying the next one (a low powered stinger, perfect to feint with and follow up with something a bit more...punchy) while I worry about...everything. The idea of the tournament coming here makes a pit open up in my stomach - heightened security, nosy foreigners, unexpected disasters, Ministry intrigue - all of it aimed like a muggle flamethrower at my little veil of secrecy. I wouldn't compete in the bloody thing if my life depended on it. Natalie is mad keen, and thinks she's a shoe-in. I...disagree, not because she isn't good enough, or 'pure of heart' or whatever, but because I'm pretty sure I overheard Professor Adelaide having an attack of prophecy on the matter week before last. I was waiting in my little cell for Armstrong to come and open the door, and I recognized his voice (it's put everyone to sleep in Divination so many times that it's hard not to) saying something like:

quote:

...the child of the serpent will not win the cup
nor at the wine of the victory will sup
although they may be a champion still
when iron men arise from under the hill...

There was more, but I was still half wolf and the wolf didn't care to remember, and the voice was echoing from somewhere distant. The acoustics in the dungeon are fantastic, it's a shame that the only time any goes there is to hunt monsters, or to be a monster. Anyway, if that was genuine prophecy and not just spooky poetry it might put a damper on Nat's chances at being school champion. Not that I'm going to tell her or anything. That would put a real damper on her mood for the Hogsmeade weekend, which I'm not going to risk. I figure it'll be someone from Hufflepuff again, no doubt. Probably Oliver, if the cauldron has a sense of smell at all. I'd like to take him down to Hogsmeade and just sit in a booth with him for, like, hours. Is that weird, that I just want to hang out with a boy because he smells good?

It's probably weird.

Instead, I'm going to end up getting dragged along wherever Natalie wants to go, which is fine just so long as we don't end up in a basement full of Redcaps again. Maybe I can convince her to just have nice time on the town? Ha, ha, fat chance.

I let the little stinger out straight and easy, hoping to lure Nat into over-committing her parry and then:

"Expelliarmus!"

Her wand flies through the air and into my waiting hand. Yeah, it's cheating, but this isn't dueling class. I poke my tongue out at Natalie and walk down to hand back her wand.

The walk is more of a swagger, really. Fergie seems to be oozing confidence as she passes Natalie back her still warm wand, and winks.

Turn on Nat: 2d6+1 8

Marking XP.

"Your turn, Natalie. Try to keep up."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Natalie Saul

Fergie gains a string on Natalie.

"Oh come on Fergie!" Frowning in (mostly) mock exasperation, I take my wand back from her, all too aware I was now 0-2 on hexes for the practice. It's weird... part of me thinks it's awesome she pulled that off. She seems more confident than she used to, and it's about time. On the other hand, this is non-verbal spell training. She totally cheated! Well, two can play at that game...

Waiting for Fergie to get back into position - gotta be fair about this - I'm actually focused on her now. Probably a little too focused, actually. Not treating her like a friend or a classmate - for the sake of the next spell, she's the enemy.

"Ready? Because I- STUPEFY" Interrupting myself with a sudden and precise wand jab, the beam of red light catches her both totally unprepared and right in the chest. She stumbles backwards, and oh man, did I actually hurt her?

Lash Out At Fergie: 2d6+2 12
1 Harm, Natalie gains a string on Fergie

Dashing towards her, desire to get revenge for her having cheating totally replaced by the crashing realization that I'd basically hexed her for no reason, I get down next to her to double-check that I didn't stop her heart or something. I'm pretty good at Stupefy, it's a possibility! "Fergie, you ok? Sorry, got carried away..."

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 30, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 1/4 | XP 1/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions:

I'm kind of confused for a moment - why am I looking at the ceiling? And then the ache in my chest reminds me. Ow ow ow. Right above the sternum. Natalie is really good with Stupefy, and hyper-competitive, and I probably should have seen that coming. Stupid. She rushes over and fusses at me, and I have a momentary desire just to tear her throat out with my teeth, but it passes. Instead I give a weak thumbs up and groan theatrically. Quietly so Shrewsbury can't hear I say:

"Dick move, Nat. Had-*cough*-had it coming though."

I sit up and smooth down my robe and try to contain my hair for a moment. A couple of people are sniggering at our little pageant, but I'm not fussed. I catch my breath, get my wand back and accept Nat's hand to help me up.

"Best two out of three? Keeping to the rules this time?"

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 30, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Natalie Saul

"Sounds good!" I give Fergie a thumbs up, glad she's not too mad. Think I proved my point back there.

Sprinting back to position, wholly oblivious to any classmates observing us, I bring my wand up level with hers, returning her earlier wink while doing so. There's no chance of her getting me, I'm going to be the best Auror of time - I won't lose at practice for it.

"Your turn Fergie!" I call, watching her carefully, actually starting to strafe to the side to make it easier to deflect her spell. I'm left handed - already enough of an advantage - but every little bit helps. "No point though, I got this."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 1/4 | XP 1+1/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions:

Argh, put me on the spot why don't you, Nat? The problem is, if I half-arse a shot and let Natalie win, she'll know and be in a huff about it all day. If I give it everything and overdo it and win, it'll be even worse. I I just need to find some way to put on a good show, within the rules, and not get carried away...think, Fergie!

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 4

Ahahaha no. Marking XP anyway

She's grinning at me. No matter what I do here she's going to bounce it back at me and I'm going to have to scramble to keep up and SHE KEEPS BLOODY WALKING SIDEWAYS LIKE A CRAB AND SHE KNOWS THAT ANNOYS ME ARGH!

Lash out Physically: 2d6+1 9
Spend a string to make 10, take a string back.

The Ventus jinx is the first thing that springs to mind. I keep silent, make a whip-crack motion with my wand and let the spiral blast of blue light and wind fly straight and true. I can see the whole thing playing out in slow motion, she'll sidestep and hex it back at me. It was a bad choice of spell, the spiral will make the counter trajectory too complicated for me to judge, and then-

Uh...whoops

Or maybe she'll trip on the hem of her robe, lose her balance and catch the blast full on . Oh, bugger. I'm already running down to make sure she's alright before she hit the ground this time.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Several members of the class have stopped to watch the duel between Fergie and Natalie, and with the laughter resulting from Natalie's latest folly, it seems that Professor Shewsbury has decided this has gone on long enough. Stepping down from her slightly elevated platform, she strides over to you, waving her wand vaguely in the air to cancel any remaining spells in the air.

Natalie
"Really, this is supposed to be practicing non-verbal spells, I expected better of you Ms. Saul, you've always had a good head for shield charms, but if you spend all your time trying to look good for the boys..." She shakes her head, then gestures towards Mark and Claire, "I'm stopping this before it goes any further, Ms. Saul, go practice with Mr. Matthews. Ms. Gray, enough making doe-eyes at Mr. Matthews, go practice with Ms. Thatcher."

You have to admit that you completely lost that one, but do you have any excuse for why you bungled your defense on that so badly? What do you make of Fergie's expression when she sent that hex towards you? It was all fun and games, but was there something else there? Take a string on Fergie.

Mark and Claire both look rather upset at being split up, but Mark smiles at you as you head over, and says something commiserating to you about Professor Shewsbury's treatment of you. What did he say? Then he follows it up with, "I went first with Claire, so would you like to have a go at me?"

Fergie
Natalie seems to be giving you a strange expression before she has to walk off to pair up with her new partner, can you make anything of that? Professor Shewsbury continues, "That was an excellent non-verbal Ventus Jinx there Mr. Lowell, five points to Gryffindor. Why don't you practice with Ms. Collingwood-Vocaine, since her partner seems to be too busy to practice right now, and she looks like she could use a few tips from someone whose gotten it down so quickly." She smiles at you, then heads back towards the dais, shaking her head slightly.

How do you feel about Maxine? Does anything smell off about her to your nose? Jennifer glowers at you as you approach, why doesn't she like you? What do you say to the two of them when you get there.

Maxine
When Jennifer finally pulls herself away from Simon to start paying attention to you, what does she have to say about him that surprises you? Once the gossiping is done, how did the single round of practice you managed to get in before being interrupted go? Professor Shewsbury informs you that you'll be practicing with Fergie Lowell as well, what do you think of that? You know Jennifer doesn't like her much, but do you have your own opinion? What do you say to her when she approaches, and since Jenn doesn't look like helping with this, how are you going to organize the practice between the three of you?

Julius
Did you catch any of Fergie stomping all over Natalie while you were practicing with Alora? And, Profressor Shewsbury awarded her five points to Gryffindor, but none to any of your club members, when you've all been doing non-verbal spells perfectly the entire lesson, how is that fair? Why do you think she hasn't? Are you even worried about house points, and if you are, do you have anything in mind this lesson to subtly attract attention over to the excellent performance you've been doing?

During your next exchange with Alora, a blast suddenly goes off right over your head, it looks like Cory either managed to get a non-verbal spell off, or he deflected his partners, and somehow managed to send it flying right at you, just barely missing your head if you hadn't been mid crouch to cast a spell. Knowing his skill level, it'd be impossible for that to have been intentional, but this might be a chance to get on his good or bad side, depending on how you want to approach him. What do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Natalie Saul
Harm 1/4 | XP 0+1/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions:

Standing up from my newest defeat with as much dignity as I can muster, I decide to retrieve my wand before fixing my extraordinarily windblown hair / robes. People laughed at Harry too I reassure myself, not at all pleased with how Defense Against the Dark Arts is going. Somebody must've Jinxed me - there's no other explanation for me tripping up like that. I open my mouth while Professor Shrewsbury berates me in front of everybody, ready to point out that she started it - not me - but I clam up first, already humiliated enough. The downside to being as pale as I am, aside from the sun? Pretty easy to tell when I'm embarrassed - I'm currently beet red.

Even though this is Fergie's fault, I'm not that mad or anything. It almost looked like she was mad at me, I can't imagine why... I basically earned Gryffindor five points for her. Besides, the only reason she's good at spells like that is from investigating stuff with me. So really, I beat myself.

I'd also like to point out her switch-up makes NO SENSE. She wants me to stop showing off for boys (never!) so she partners me with... Mark? I mean, I should actually thank her for that - I never get to partner up with him. Stupid Claire always partnering with him, and everyone thinks she's so nice... and Shrewsbury basically gift wrapped him for me!

Joining Mark closer to the center of the room, he's not making it any easier for me to stop blushing. Don't say anything stupid Nat. "You alright? That was a good try." Mark tells me to break the ice, smiling at me warmly, and oh wow I'm more jealous of Claire than ever.

It wasn't a good try, I got jinxed! Still, not going to disagree with him. "Hahaha yeah it was." So much for not saying anything stupid.

"I went first with Claire, so would you like to have a go at me?" Mark asks - completely unfairly, I might add. There's NO way I'm not going to say something embarrassing after that - I can feel my mouth opening and hear myself responding before I've even considered what it is I'm about to say.

"I'd love to have a go at you Mark." Natalie answers, winking at him. Bringing her hand up to her hair tie, the Slytherin girl continues to overplay her hand, undoing her ponytail and shaking her head back and forth a few times before grinning at the Ravenclaw boy. "You ready for me?"

Turn on Mark: 2d6+1 6
At least I get to mark XP.

From the look on his face... no, the answer's no. Natalie lobs a Stupefy at him upon seeing his reaction, hopefully it'll distract him.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 1, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Harm 0/4 | Exp 0->1/5 | Conditions

"And I almost finished arranging a date for you too, Maxie. Your loss." And then she just smirks that way she always smirks and I just know she's going to laugh that one laugh of hers if I say anything now so I just bite my tongue and ready my wand even though she knows drat well that I'm not interested in dating anyone at the moment and who was she even setting me up with and who else was getting a date for and-

Well, and that's about as far as I got before Jennifer knocked me on my rear end. I tried to get a shield up, before you think I'm totally incompetent, but there's only so much you can do about a hex that you only notice when it's already arcing towards you. It's kind of the point of having nonverbal spells, after all. Bit surprising that she's gotten the hang of it so quickly, but she's always been a go-getter about this sort of thing. So here I am, trying to brush off a fresh layer of floor dust from my robes and not visibly bristle at Professor Shrewsbury saying that I'm having trouble in front of everybody. I'd like to think that I've succeeded at both. In any case, Ms Lowell's coming this way and Jenn's already giving her the eye so I should probably do something to defuse the situation.

"Fergie, right? Listen, I'll be with you in just one second, I just need to hash something out real quick with Jennifer. I'll be right back." I put my hands on Jenn's shoulders and pull her to the side until we're facing the wall. I really wouldn't be bothering with this if I could trust her to not be a bother around Fergie, but I can't so here we are. Maybe they got into a fight in a previous year or something, I've never really asked. (As an aside, I really can't see what about Fergie bugs Jenn so much. She hasn't rubbed me the wrong way any, in any case. The worst thing I can say about her is that she's friends with Julius, even if she's not part of his little club. Seems like the nicest person you'd ever meet in the detention hall, in any case.)

"Jenn, I know you don't like her and I know you didn't get much practice today. I'll make it up to you later, alright? Maybe find a private practice room after dinner and cross wands for a while..." I smile at her from under my bangs, and Jennifer... Oh drat it, I just realized how flirty that sounded.

Going to try Turning Jennifer On by inviting her to some ~private studying~. Or maybe it's more of a Manipulate, but it's Hot either way.
[22:53] <LurksWithWolves> !r 2d6-1
[22:53] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 7-1 = 6
And it fails either way. At least I get some XP from rolling a highlighted stat.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 1/4 | XP 2/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions:

Woo, five points! Nat isn't going to let that go any time soon.

Maxine is...quiet. No, that's the wrong word, subdued. I don't mean socially, she seems to get on alright with people - I can't exactly hang out in the Slytherin common room, even if my (infuriating) bff is one. But she doesn't make the same sort of smells as other people, and I'm not sure why. It's not that she isn't human, at least she smells pretty normal up close. But...she...there's really no polite way to say it, she never farts. Like, ever. It's something you only ever notice by it's absence, and it's not really something I can go around asking questions about, but unless she's got some kind of special spell to filter out her fart smell (unlikely) she's got something else going on. Maybe TMI, but you asked, mate.

Jennifer? Jennifer Hoyle? Jennifer 'my parents were almost certainly Death-Eaters but totally got away with it' Hoyle? Hmm, I wonder what issues she could have with someone who has pretty similar parents, but instead of being a terrible clone person and going into the same house and having friends from the same terrible families decided to be her own person? Hmm. A real mystery for the ages, that one. You could write a book about it: 'Jennifer Hoyle and the case of why she's an unrelenting bitch to Fergie Lowell'. When the two of them are finished with their little huddle I give her my best condescending look (it's not great, to be honest, I'm more of an 'belligerent and bewildered' type) and say:

"Don't worry, Jen. I'll be gentle with you both. Did you or Maxine want to take the first shot? I'll be having the last, just so you know"

Shut Down Jennifer Hoyle: 2d6-18
Give her the condition Too Slow, she can give me one in return.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Julius

I've always got one eye on Fergie. Something is wrong about her, and I intend to find out what. Before it explodes in my face somehow. I just have this feeling that's going to happen. That feeling is very rarely wrong. That's part of why I picked Alora over Thomas today, as well- she's a bit slack in class so it's easier to keep my attention elsewhere. Like on the vicious flirtfight going on between Fergie and our old friend Ms. Saul, Queen of Airs and Dorkness. I didn't know she swung that way. I mean, generally she's straightforward to the point of stupid. I also didn't know they knew each other that well... Maybe I'll give Natalie's friendship attempts another chance. Especially if it means not having to deal with-

I hope that Cory didn't set fire to my hair. I spend a lot of time on it! But on the other hand, she's generally an equal pain in the rear end, so no harm in being nice, attacking multiple angles, you know. I give him a quick grin and thumbs up, waving Alora off for a round. "Nice shot! We'll talk later, ok? Maybe it's time you gave the audition another chance!" And then it's back to swiping away Alora's weak shots, as she stares at... The blank space where that kid who never shows is supposed to be? What's up with her today? Whatever. Make a note of that for later.

All that mess and still the nutjobs get points. I can't fault the professor for being stingy with the points for us. It wouldn't do to get the appearance of favoritism. It would undermine the entire idea. If we're getting free points because of our extra instruction, how are we the best? We're just another group of grubby Slytherin points-hogs. Shewsbury isn't stupid; we're under the gun from the other teachers all the time. Even the tiniest appearance of favoritism outside the club could sink it with enough pissants commenting. So she lets us speak for ourselves. With our skills.

I can fault her for giving points out all willy-nilly to those other incompetents, though. It's just encouraging them. That's the only way the points matter, really. Encouraging idiots to try and stand out, pander to the teachers in ways that will never matter one whit when real trouble comes. It's a stupid, outdated system, and I refuse to participate. Some club members complain, but it's their pain in the rear end, not mine.

KPrime !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot KPrime, 8+2 = 10 Manipulate Cory to be more agreeable later, with an offer of another go at club membership.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Natalie
Mark responds by staring at you a moment, then going red, very red. And then even redder. He opens his mouth a few times, seems to stumble over his words, and unfortunately is too distracted to react to your spell at all, which hits him dead on, and falls to the ground in a heap, unconscious. Who nearby heard the exchange and is now laughing at you? What do you do?

Mark takes a string on you, and one harm.

Maxine
Jenn starts to go a little red, but then laughs extremely faintly and gives her head a little shake, letting her hair play out attractively behind her. Apparently deciding to take your words at face value(?) she smiles and nods. "Alright, I'll take you up on that. Thanks Maxie." Turning with you as Fergie approaches however, any attempt she was planning on making to deal with this maturely vanishes at Ms. Lowell's opening salvo. She gives an angry retort, and then storms off across the room, leaving you alone with Fergie. What do you say to her?

Jennifer takes a string on you

Fergie
As she turns back from her huddle with Maxine, Jennifer has a calm, if slightly amused expression on her face, and starts to open her mouth to say something before she hears you and shuts it hard, glaring daggers at you. When she opens it again to hiss a reply at you, it looks slightly painful with how clenched it is. "Wow Lowell, going in offensive, real mature. I was going to be polite, but I can see there isn't any point when dealing with you. No wonder your only friend is Natalie Potter." How untrue would you say that comment is? You have Gryffindor friends, right? She gives you a mix of anger and smirk, then turns on her heals and storms off across the room, leaving you alone with Maxine. What do you say or do now?

Take the condition Aggressively Rude

Julius
Your hair seems mercifully unharmed by Cory's poor aim. He gives you a shifty grin in reply to your offer, looking both pleased and unsure of how what he just did managed to get that response from you. Still, he isn't going to let a little concern like that get in the way of a chance to join your club, so he calls back to you, "Great! Thanks Julie," did he really just call you that "meet you in the common room in the free period before lunch?"

Alora continues to be a bit distracted as your practice continues, what was the reason the last time she acted a bit like this? If you've been paying attention the rest of the classroom, Jennifer has been storming around and bouncing between groups, eventually making her way over to you and Alora, slipping herself between the two of you looking irritated, and immediately tries to but into your practice, complaining about Fergie. What do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Natalie Saul
Harm 1/4 | XP 0+2/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions:

Oh c'mon Mark! That was an easy one! Dashing over to check on him, it's beginning to become difficult to envision ways today could go worse. Maybe I could get expelled, or have my wand snap in half, or catch flu? It'd have to be drastic, this is getting ridiculous. I just hexed Mark - getting him to dump Claire and date me was always going to be a long shot, but now it's probably impossible. Sigh.

Arriving next to my unlucky crush, I'm glad I wasn't using something stronger than Stupefy - the only way that could've gone worse for him is if he'd tried to headbutt it. Brandishing my wand, I point it at where I hit him (I'll give myself some credit, I'd aimed well) and carefully enunciate "Episkey." It's a minor healing spell; I've had it cast on me so many times that I got the hang of doing it myself. The tip of the wand glows briefly, and Mark stirs slightly. I'm too consumed with relief that I hadn't somehow killed him to notice the laughing for a bit, but I blush again when I hear it. It's weird how you can tell laughing is directed at you when you can't see the person, but I can tell.

Whirling round to see who has the audacity to laugh so openly at me, and it turns out it's Edmund "My Parents Were Probably Death Eaters" Heathcliff. Apparently me hexing the boy I like after messing up flirting is just hilarious. What a jerk! Given his parents, should he really be laughing at anybody? Mine were both Slytherins and they weren't stupid enough to get involved! He's Ravenclaw, what's their excuse?

Raising my wand from Mark's prone form, I don't quite point it at Edmund even though I really want to - Shrewsbury is just itching to take points away from me. "Shut up, prat!" I hiss at him, hopefully quiet enough to go unnoticed by the Professor. I hope he tries to hex me; I'll blast him...

<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 4-1 = 3
<Rauri> well that makes sense
<godfish> what did you fail Rauri :x
<Rauri> shut down on Edmund
Marking XP

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 3, 2015

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Julius

I keep my smile on. Don't get angry at "Julie". You're going to get called much dumber things over the years than that, if you aim for the top. No point in ruining this. Yet. Revenge later, in private. "Sounds good. I'll see you the-"

Oh, now who in all the hells is this? "blah blah blah Fergie blah blah blah." I almost brush her off, but she seems... familiar with Miss Lowell. Maybe in that blather there's something of use... Well, no harm in keeping up Mr. Nice Guy for another, brief, conversation. "Jennifer, what has Fergie done to you? It must be absolutely shocking. I promise you some assistance with your disagreement, but you have to explain what it is first... Is there some history? What's wrong?" All trite babble, but it sounds good and focuses her in on what I want to know: What on earth is wrong with Fergie Lowell?

Alora usually would be petulant about this interruption, but she still seems... off. Last time she did this was when what's his name... Godfrey, the Ravenclaw lad, dumped her for being "too controlling" last year. I don't think she was dating anybody this time... Or more accurately, if she was, she was hiding it. Which means she cares a lot more than usual. Very odd. Need to look into that too.

KPrime !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot KPrime, 10+1 = 11

Shoulda been +2 but what do I care. More manipulation of NPCs! MORE! Spill the beans, Jennifer!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Harm 0/4 | Exp 1->2/5 | Conditions

This is it. This is when I ruin-Oh? Jenn's fine with it? Not just fine with having a study session, she wouldn't have blushed like that if she thought it'd just be a study session. And then she shakes her hair out like that and there's this tightness in my chest and... And... And I'm going to have to do some hard thinking about this. Preferably before we meet up tonight.

Of course, Fergie had to choose then to ruin the mood entirely. Just bloody great. But don't let her think for a minute that I'm going to just roll over and let her say whatever she pleases. Collingwoods have more backbone than that.

"You just couldn't let sleeping dogs lie, could you? I just got her to keep calm and leave things be, but you just had to start something anyway. This is just... hmph." I sigh and rub my temples. "I'm not mad. Just disappointed. Get your wand up, let's just get this over with." God, I sound like my mother some times. At least with any luck we can put this behind us.

Rolling to Shut Down Fergie, with an additional +1 from her Aggressively Rude condition because she couldn't keep her mouth shut for five seconds:
[13:10] <LurksWithWolves> !r 2d6+2+1
[13:10] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 12+2+1 = 15
Well, uh, looks like I succeeded! Going to take a string on Fergie, since I don't have any on her and it doesn't seem appropriate to give her another condition already. Also marking experience for rolling Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 1/4 | XP 2/5 | Location: DADA Class | Conditions: Aggressively Rude

What? What'd I say? Can't handle a bit of friendly passive aggressive completely appropriate banter before a little wand-play? And that's completely untrue, I have other friends! Like...um...Esme? No, she's more a roommate than a friend. I...just do, alright! Jeez, get off my case! Who died and made you the new Dolores Umbridge?

No, wait, I'm reserving that for Maxine. The sleeping dogs crack hits too close to home, even if she doesn't know it.

"Oh, I'm sorry! Did I interrupt something important? I know Jen can be super sensitive sometimes, especially when it comes to 'affairs of the heart'."

I drop my voice into a stage whisper for the last bit. I have no idea what I'm talking about, of course, but hey, words are flying all over the place today, thicker than spells. I do as Maxine asks, and raise my wand. Rather than take the offensive, I use a little divination trick to try and guess her first move - most of divination is useless unless you're a proper Seer, but with some effort anyone can read a little way into what someone intends to do - it's mostly in eye movement, patterns of breath, the way they grip the wand, that sort of thing. I'm not great at it but this seems like as good a time as any to practice.

Gaze into the abyss: 2d6 6

• Locked thread