Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i went into it thinking it was like the golden lute, and got hit by a skeleton

Oh, does it work differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lute attacks on move and won't work if you're up against something; harp requires you to be up against something, and won't attack when you move

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

lute attacks on move and won't work if you're up against something; harp requires you to be up against something, and won't attack when you move

Ahh, right, that makes sense. In that case, cool, all-new! :D

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Just played Zone 5 for the first time... oof, I forgot what it was like to be completely unprepared in this game, haha

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just bought half a dozen friends a copy of the game. No regrets :unsmigghh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is it me or is the zone 5 music a bit poo poo compared to zone 4

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

soooo ring of frost is gonna get nerfed hard, right?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

is it me or is the zone 5 music a bit poo poo compared to zone 4

it's probably not just you but that's not an opinion I've seen expressed anywhere

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

soooo ring of frost is gonna get nerfed hard, right?

No plans for that

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
how does bat-gal's bat form work

seems like you lose access to items/weapons, attack is base dagger style, you regen a bit of health every few kills like blood weapons and it takes some health to turn back?

also it activates automatically when you would die, giving a fight for your life kind of deal

that right?

also I got a 'raise earth' spell that said it made walls, but then I died before using it -_-
seems like it could be useful in zone 3 or some bosses

also the throwing stars are pretty good against deep blues and coral rift for fast strats

new boss is... I beat him but I'm not sure what exactly his gimmick was, except for rapping, which is ennnnhhhh

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 25, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

No plans for that

it's kind of crazy; get it first floor, two-shot every boss, makes everything insanely trivial

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Noticed that prototyperaptor made some remixes and it turns out there's a new soundtrack coming!

quote:

Crypt of the NecroDancer: OverClocked is a collaboration between Brace Yourself Games, Danny Baranowsky, and OverClocked ReMix. 17 different artists have remixed 30 different tracks from the video game, all of which are playable in-game as part of the Amplified DLC!

Director:

Michael Birch (Flexstyle)

Artwork:

Maya Petersen (rnn)

https://soundcloud.com/overclocked-records/sets/oc-remix-crypt-of-the-necrodancer-overclocked

I've used parts of prototyperaptor's second album for a custom soundtrack and it works really well, so it is cool to see his remixes in here.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

it's kind of crazy; get it first floor, two-shot every boss, makes everything insanely trivial

Generally if something isn't broken for speed or score you won't see something changed

e: there's really no way to 'nerf' it that I can think of. I can't imagine a different version of it.

Mazerunner posted:

how does bat-gal's bat form work

seems like you lose access to items/weapons, attack is base dagger style, you regen a bit of health every few kills like blood weapons and it takes some health to turn back?

also it activates automatically when you would die, giving a fight for your life kind of deal

that right?

You got about everything. Attack is 4 damage though and you regen every 5 kills (so double blood weapon). Half heart to transform back although, if you time it on the stairs, it's free.

Mazerunner posted:

also I got a 'raise earth' spell that said it made walls, but then I died before using it -_-
seems like it could be useful in zone 3 or some bosses

Kills enemies if you can do it and they're between you and a wall.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 25, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Alright more questions-

so uh, I might be an idiot but how do you actually USE the ring of frost?

spiked earmuffs- what do? I didn't pick them up because I had low health and figured they might be like thorn crown/boots of pain.

quartz armour seems absurdly good- reduces all damage to just one heart, although attacks that naturally deal 1/2 a heart aren't affected.

Hmmm actually, I guess for attacks that deal between 1 to 2.5 (plate) or 3.5 (max obsidian) they would be better, bringing it down to 0.5 damage, but for anything above that quartz is equivalent or better.

unknown enemy- in the monster trainer, it's in between the mimic column and the water ball. Any one seen this?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ring of frost just modifies your existing sources of damage, I believe. And if I remember right, spiked earmuffs add 1 to your damage, but break if you miss a beat.

I'm still unsure how the cursed hearts work.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Ring of frost just modifies your existing sources of damage, I believe. And if I remember right, spiked earmuffs add 1 to your damage, but break if you miss a beat.

I think- I think- they are unusable until you eat a food* and then they become empty hearts. I think. They might become full hearts.

*food heals your regular hearts and then excess goes to uncursing. Probably other forms of healing work as well.

what I'm not sure is if you have excess healing even AFTER uncursing if it will heal those new empties, if that's right.

so if you have 2 hearts of damage and a cursed heart and you eat a ham it'll heal you, uncurse, and then does the final ham heal go to waste, or fill up the heart?

and ah- I had an obsidian sword so I was generally just killing stuff in one hit so frost ring didn't have any effect

e; final question- there's no reason NOT to activate familiars ASAP, right? They seem to last forever and carry through levels and don't seem to take up any sort of 'slot'. I've seen rat and frost spirit and they positioned bottom and right of me, respectively, so I'd assume there's four of them. Although I didn't get them both at once.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 25, 2017

Bananachin
May 1, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

e; final question- there's no reason NOT to activate familiars ASAP, right? They seem to last forever and carry through levels and don't seem to take up any sort of 'slot'. I've seen rat and frost spirit and they positioned bottom and right of me, respectively, so I'd assume there's four of them. Although I didn't get them both at once.

I've found the arrow key you tap the beat after activation affects which tile they land on. I've tried two and seen three: Rat deals 1 damage, Snowman freezes enemies, and Dove teleports apparently.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So how difficult is the new character to play? I am speaking of someone of at best, average skill level. I've only beaten the episodes one at a time and not in one continuous run, and I haven't even done that with most characters. I think my record for surviving as Aria is 6 seconds before missing a beat and dying.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

it's probably not just you but that's not an opinion I've seen expressed anywhere

No plans for that

I mean it's not bad it's just that zone 4 is incredible and a great crescendo and then you sort of get downgraded to zone 2 stylings

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So how difficult is the new character to play? I am speaking of someone of at best, average skill level. I've only beaten the episodes one at a time and not in one continuous run, and I haven't even done that with most characters. I think my record for surviving as Aria is 6 seconds before missing a beat and dying.

The new character is easy mode, you get bat form for healing and shopkeeper murder, and you also have a really good starting weapon.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Alright more questions-

so uh, I might be an idiot but how do you actually USE the ring of frost?

spiked earmuffs- what do? I didn't pick them up because I had low health and figured they might be like thorn crown/boots of pain.

quartz armour seems absurdly good- reduces all damage to just one heart, although attacks that naturally deal 1/2 a heart aren't affected.

Hmmm actually, I guess for attacks that deal between 1 to 2.5 (plate) or 3.5 (max obsidian) they would be better, bringing it down to 0.5 damage, but for anything above that quartz is equivalent or better.

unknown enemy- in the monster trainer, it's in between the mimic column and the water ball. Any one seen this?

Ring of frost makes your attacks freeze and also kill frozen enemies instantly.

Spiked earmuffs: +2 damage, break on beat.

Re: Armor - Plate on blocks 1.5 hearts, Heavy Plate 2, and Obsidian also maxes out at 1.5 (0.5 per multiplier).

Unknown enemy is probably the tar ball. You need to hit shrine of war to see it.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Easier than cadence and melody, probably. Can be a bit swarmy but once you know her tools you can play her very safely.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Cursed hearts are temporary but can be healed (by anything) if all of your normal hearts are full. If they're purple and get hit, they disappear, but you can turn them red by food or heal spell etc.

Mazerunner posted:

Yes. Although I'd avoid the rat familiar, it knocks back shielded enemies like big skeletons or orcs and can trap you. I assume it'll be changed to phasing later. There's another one being worked on, shield, which will let you knock enemies back or crush them into walls.

But yes, use it and then press a button to put the direction. I recommend dove to go down and snowman to go up (since enemies seek you horizontally),

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man I really hope the DLC comes to PS4 sooner rather than later, I have it on PC as well but playing on PS4 just feels so much better for some reason.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

precision posted:

Man I really hope the DLC comes to PS4 sooner rather than later, I have it on PC as well but playing on PS4 just feels so much better for some reason.

I play it on PC but with a controller, fwiw, and that's the most satisfying way for me

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Nocturna is really making me hope they'll add daily challenges for alternate characters.

Also, Aria starts on zone 5 now. Yikes.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Nocturna is really making me hope they'll add daily challenges for alternate characters.

Yeah aria on zone 5 is pretty harsh. I keep angling for a non-story mode that would let you play characters without the story bosses and the zone reversal for aria

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

I think that might actually be a bit easier. Zone 5 seems a bit less cramped + the regenning walls means you don't get swarmed as bad. And while the enemies are new and that takes getting used to, they actually don't seem quite as annoying as blademasters/warlocks/slime golems (which now lose their slime after getting hit).

jackofarcades posted:

Spiked earmuffs: +2 damage, break on beat.

Re: Armor - Plate on blocks 1.5 hearts, Heavy Plate 2, and Obsidian also maxes out at 1.5 (0.5 per multiplier).

So, you have to move not on the beat? I'm not sure I understand :sigh:

although that's what the level editor is for! brb haha.

also the guide I was looking at must have been wrong then, it said obsidian did 1/2/3 and yeah I meant heavy plate when I said plate
but in any case I think I'm right though, that heavy plate is better for blocking attacks that deal up to 2.5 hearts, they're equivalent at 3 hearts and quartz is better for 3.5+ attacks.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I made a new game, what you do is load up training mode and try to get as many gorgon corpses on the screen as you can. It's surprisingly tricky since you have to change around your strategy depending on your distance from the generator and the walls. As you get higher up you have to use corpses to stall the new gorgons so you have enough time to get them to the walls. Here's my record after a few attempts (I messed up hugely due to bad planning, You sort of hit a time crunch since a new gorgon generates a maximum of two beats after the last one dies.)

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

I think that might actually be a bit easier. Zone 5 seems a bit less cramped + the regenning walls means you don't get swarmed as bad. And while the enemies are new and that takes getting used to, they actually don't seem quite as annoying as blademasters/warlocks/slime golems (which now lose their slime after getting hit).

So, you have to move not on the beat? I'm not sure I understand :sigh:

although that's what the level editor is for! brb haha.

also the guide I was looking at must have been wrong then, it said obsidian did 1/2/3 and yeah I meant heavy plate when I said plate
but in any case I think I'm right though, that heavy plate is better for blocking attacks that deal up to 2.5 hearts, they're equivalent at 3 hearts and quartz is better for 3.5+ attacks.

re: Aria - zone 4 is a bit easier because you're more likely to find some decent items with the gargoyles, since they can drop things like blast helm, ring of might, etc.

spiked headphones: well I meant missed beat, sorry.

As far as defense: we used to refer to "damage" done to the play in half-heart increments, so in that sense Obsidian is "3" defense and heavy plate is "4." That's because the enemy health values are also in half hearts. It's why a bomb does 2 damage to you but 4 damage to everything else. Also I'm not sure anything in the game does 3.5 beyond a dead ringer charge and maybe a dark golem? Except if you're on goo.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

2017-01-27: 2.35

New content:
- Localizations: Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Simplified Chinese, French, Brazilian Portuguese
- Enemy: earth dragon
- Item: shopkeep familiar
- Item: ring of piercing
- Subtitles for opening cutscene
Tweaks:
- Give rat familiar piercing
- Ice spirit: don't hit enemies that require phasing damage (burrowed moles & fmole, unactivated mimics)
- Blood shrine also grants blood shovel (in addition to the blood weapon) on the ground
- Blood shrine only damages your red hearts, not your cursed hearts
- Reduce frequency of electric zombies in single zone mode
- Zone 5 overlay skip certain categories of enemy: sarcophagi, closets, wraiths
- Nocturna exit bat form also grant 2 ibeats
- Change Zone 5 overlay enemy selection to force more variety of types (reduces excessive skull swarms)
- Monk/Coda: don't spawn wall gold
- Minor updates to Korean localization
Fixes:
- Fix these to not work in bat form: flail knockback, ring of frost, gold weapon gold bonus
- Fix: in bat form, never show weapon glows (for blood & gold weapons)
- Fortissimole: at boss end, enemies don't drop gold except for monk & gold weapons; late spawns don't drop gold even for monk & gold weapons to prevent infinite gold
- Fix kc5/fm5 always being last by generating floor seeds using a better algorithm
- Bat form fixes: new armor shouldn't protect; new torches shouldn't illuminate
- Fix crash when double-tapping beats after boss song has looped
- Fix base game crashes from dlc save data: deprecate diamond dealer attributes, pending spawn attributes
- Fix crash on unexpected default character entry in save xml
- Bump version of default character attribute to fix base game forwards compatibility crash
- Fix gameplay options menu crash when save data default character is invalid
- War shrine don't make tar balls, since tar balls are intentionally disabled
- Fix bug where if Nocturna is default character, player would gain Transform spell when starting ND1 boss
- Fix crash when accessing gameplay options menu while in bat form

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

So the rat pairs up with Eli very nicely

and also if you get the grenades he has infinite of them. Intended?

e; yeah I didn't realize the grenade charm was just an upgrade to bombs, for some reason I thought they were their own item
kind of a trade off on Eli. +2 damage and automatic kicks is good, but you can't drop them at your feet* if you need to which is bad

*well if you're next to a wall it does but the fuse is short enough you'll hurt yourself

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Noticed Nocturna turns into a bat automatically on the last hit she can take... even when you swapped out your spells so you can't heal and go humanoid. :shepface:

This might be intentional but in that case wouldn't it make sense to make that spell permanent.

I think I like her weapon the most as well. There are plenty of other sources of +damage so its fine that there is only one version and it lets you tank some amazing poo poo.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When this was in early access, I remember PrevRec did a review saying it would make a great phone game. Since then, it came out on iOS and I got a new job with a long public transport commute so I decided to give it a shot.
Really liking it so far - way better than doing something productive like studying.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 1, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yo could someone please tell me what the odds of getting two green bats on the same level are

because it just happened and nearly made me miss my groove!!

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Hard mode is... pretty drat hard! Still didn't stop me from winning as soon as the patch dropped though, but man, that was rough. Piercing+obsidian rapier still overpowered enough to carry my dumb rear end through the game.

Also I got first place for a bit??

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

You know how folks talk about great design, efficient player choices and such? I feel like Crypt of the Necrodancer is the epitome of these things. Easily the best game I've ever played.

A game so good, folks ain't got time to post about it because they've got a daily, dammit. I'd be wary of posting such strong sentiment if the expansion hadn't just come out and rocked my socks. The new level is great to play as a vet of vanilla, and they've only begun the expansion. The new character is rad as hell (parry on a base weapon!) and gets invaded Dark Souls style by dungeon 5 every level. The new music is dope as hell.

Send help, I can't stop playing this game.

e:spelling

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Just beat the latest DLC character and I love how difficult the game is for how simple it presents itself.

You take your standard 4 way movement and add another 4 and the sheer options have you miss every other beat because zig-zagging around levels, diagonally digging and killing stuff you shouldn't with a rapier is just too tempting. You master cardinals, then struggle to comprehend that Yes, you can hit that red bat diagonally. You don't need it to line up next to you.

Necrodancer is just a good game. Only complaint is whether DLC changes like with ooze golems show up in the base game.

• Locked thread