Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yikes, been off the ball recently, been away and wasn't able to get the picture albums to the Judges before I left. They have the albums now, though, so we will the points totals soon :)

I'll also be catching up with the Season 7 thread tonight.

BTW Electric Hobo I did get the models you sent for the Grab Bag :) sorry I didn't let you know sooner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren: March Judgment! :siren:

3rd Place: Jadebullet, 1pt

When I was a kid, my neighbor had the Mutant Chronicles board game, and I distinctly remember a much smaller, less detailed version of this guy. You did a 10x better job than my 12-year-old self ever did, and I especially love the firey transition from orange to black on the spiked ball. Really good job!

2nd Place: SRM, 2pts

Grot Tanks are some of the coolest poo poo available, and you really got that kind of chaotic mish-mashed look down pat. I want to see you and Germ put your vehicles against each other!

1st Place: Germ, 3pts

I've spoken at length about how much I love your painting technique, and they really shine with your Mad Max-esque vehicles.

Bonus Point: Gareth Gobulcoque, 1pt

God drat, dude. God loving drat.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren: April Judgment! :siren:

3rd Place: Arson Fire, 1pt

This is a really tidy paint job, with a good transition on the blue and an eye-catching base.

2nd Place: JAdebullet, 2pts

Heck of a good paint job. The runes especially make it jump out. I like to think I have steady hands, but hot drat!

1st Place: Moths, 3pts

This has a kind of grungy Blanche-like look to it that I find really endearing, and wouldn't look out of place in a 90's White Dwarf. It helps that I love this model and have a copy of my own. Excellent job.

Bonus Point: Schmetterling, 1pt

That robot's hat is so :allears:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

God drat, dude. God loving drat.

Thanks, man. Definitely my favorite piece that I did for the oath thread.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks man. You don't know how much of a boost it is to my confidence to be picked in the top 3. It has definitely made my morning.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Slimnoid posted:

Blanche-like look
90's White Dwarf.

I didn't realize just how much 90's teenager was left in me, but you woke it all up like that needle scene in Pulp Fiction. Thanks!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I've been deputized by Krushgroove, so now I'm the guy who tells the random number generator to tell me which of you (and me) wins the random prizes!
This post is for the last monthly draws, the quarterly will show up a bit later.
I hate redundancy, so the info on claiming your prizes is at the bottom of the post, instead of after every drawing. Now, the drawings:

:siren: JANUARY PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: ARSON FIRE!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is:
First try: Galaspar, but he already won this prize in December so we need another winner.
Re-roll: GRASSY GNOLL! is our winner.

And now the GRAB BAG prize!
The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: UNDER 15!

We have albums going for both the US-based and the UK/EU-based prize pots! So here's who you will contact for your choice of prize:
If you live in North America, you are choosing from Iris of Ether's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live in the UK or Europe, you are choosing from Krushgroove's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live anywhere else, you may choose from either prize pot.

:siren: FEBRUARY PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: LORD HYPNOSTACHE!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is: WDARKK!

First roll: Schmetterling!, but he already won this prize back in December, so again we need another winner.
GRAB BAG RE-ROLL: JACKMANN!.

We have albums going for both the US-based and the UK/EU-based prize pots! So here's who you will contact for your choice of prize:
If you live in North America, you are choosing from Iris of Ether's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live in the UK or Europe, you are choosing from Krushgroove's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!

:siren: MARCH PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: PYROLOCUTUS!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is: LORD HAMBROSE!

FIRST TRY FOR THE GRAB BAG: WhiteOutMouse, but he won a grab all the way back in may 2015. Let's draw someone else.
GRAB BAG RE-ROLL: TOKIMON!

:siren: APRIL PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: DR. GARGUNZA!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is: WHITEOUTMOUSE!

The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: LORD HYPNOSTACHE!

To CLAIM your prizes: The default method to claim any prize you may get is to EMAIL krushgroove at krushgroove169 at gmail.com. Please put 'Oath Thread Prize for (your username)' as the subject of your email. In the body of the email, provide your real name, postal address and prize choices. Finally, please see the Postage Costs section immediately below.

Congratulations to the winners!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks a ton, Electric Hobo!!

I'll collect the winner info into the OP over the weekend, so I can try to start making some sense of who's won what. I know there are a few of you who have been waiting, in the meantime if you haven't heard from me feel free to send a reminder email!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Bonus Point: Schmetterling, 1pt

That robot's hat is so :allears:

:3: I'm glad you like it! I don't play the faction it's from, so I made it a birthday bot, as the model was a birthday present from a friend.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: March Judgments! :siren:

Third Place, 1 Point: Germ

All of your stuff this month is looking good. The red-black contrast on the cloaks here is particularly eye-catching.

Second Place, 2 Points: Zark the Damned

You did a great job capturing the look of a wrinkly giant thing. Everything is a consistently muted tone, and the freehand and toenails are especially well done.

First Place, 3 Points: Gareth Gobulcoque

This is incredible. The contrasting shade, the smoothness of the blends, and highlight placement all are exceptional.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Germ

Excellent and creative conversion work on this fleet of models!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: April Judgments! :siren:

Third Place, 1 Point: Ledgem

These guys are looking solid all-around. I love the mimic.

Second Place, 2 Points: Schmetterling

The marbling on the stone is looking great.

First Place, 3 Points: Electric Hobo

Both the stone walls and the floor are very well done and life-like.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Gareth Gobulcoque

This is a very creative technique to apply to a model.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Electric Hobo posted:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: LORD HYPNOSTACHE!
Oh, this is nice! I won a set a couple of years back and they've been the best brushes I've had the pleasure of using. And I've just been considering getting some new ones to replace ones that are not good anymore (most of them), so this is highly convenient and highly appreciated.

quote:

The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: LORD HYPNOSTACHE!

Oh, this is very nice! I'll let Under 15, Jackman and Tokimon make their picks first before making a choice. Unless they all live in US? (I'm looking at the EU grab bag and the city fight booby traps would be extremely my jam, unless someone else wants them first)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Oh, this is very nice! I'll let Under 15, Jackman and Tokimon make their picks first before making a choice. Unless they all live in US? (I'm looking at the EU grab bag and the city fight booby traps would be extremely my jam, unless someone else wants them first)

For my part, I'm in the US, so have at it.

What are the rules of the grab bag? I remember something about big and small prizes, like you could have one big prize or multiple smaller ones. I forget how it was supposed to work.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Ah, whatever, just give me a scoop out of the big box of bones.

gonna paint me up some swamp dwarves and lizardmen mechanics and dungeon furniture

I will PM my shipping address.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:black101:MARCH OF JUDGEMENT:black101:

3rd place (1 point) - thespaceinvader

Super cool! The snarly monster face reads really nicely, and both sides match very well. I like the graphic highlights on the glass, it suggests the reflection of weird cosmic space clouds or such. Even with these pretty bold choices the metallic grime of the engine and wing areas still comes across and helps ground the whole thing.

2nd place (2 points) - Zark the Damned

Diggin this giant pretty hard. The wrinkles and weathering are really selling the idea that he’s probably living outside most of the time. The toenails are great/gross. I like the little goblin a lot, dictating the order of battle from atop his mighty war-buddy (or so he’d like to think). He’s actually a size I’d consider “giant”, rather than the admittedly cool old GW sculpt which is more of an “Andre could probably take him” kinda size.

1st place (3 points) - Gareth Gobulcoque

What an amazing scheme! I think it falls more under “inspiration” if you steal from nature. Anyhow, it’s the application that's winning the day; the blending and the shadows/highlights are excellent, and the colors within them are both naturally and imaginatively placed.

Technical challenge point - Germ

Everything in your post is rad and done up in lovely paint jobs, but these cars are just so damned fun. They’re everything that a 10-year-old me could ever want in a horde of rusted-out, drugged-up, probably cannibalistic car-warriors from the inevitable and bloody territorial battles of a death-spiraling humankind.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:duckie::duckie:APRIL SHOWER OF JUDGEMENT:duckie::duckie:

3rd place (1 point) - Jadebullet

This very much honors the respected Chaos tradition of pillaging the hell of out enemy tanks and putting spikes and evil stuff all over them. It’s looking good, well muddied up, the glowy runes are popping out nicely amongst the more subdued colors. In general I particularly like the handled of the deep reds highlighted with orange and playing off some of the other orangey areas too. The fella on the front is brutal!!

2nd place (2 points) - R.S. Gumby

drat, nice. The silver and red are fantastic, very much as splendid as any Roman province could aspire to present. It amazes me that your paint jobs can be so tidy and crisp given the scale, not to mention how simple but effective the schemes are. The fellas with blue shields are definitely worth a mention, they fall in great with the other ranks but those couple of unique colors give them a lot of character.

1st place (3 points) - Moths

Brilliant work, this is a really amazing look. It recalls the classic art very nicely, having a sort of dream-like shimmer that fits those weird old sculpts well (it even helps in taking the gigantic lobster-clawed daemonettes seriously at all). It sounds like it’s quite a lot of work to achieve, but your schemes have a seemingly effortless flow that shows off great subtlety and restraint, and the color choices are superb.

Technical challenge point - Signal

I think your experiment must have gone well! This is an example of airbrushing used really nicely I think, in which many of the highlights appear to have been added with a brush later. That’s a great idea, it enables you to bring those smoothly shaded panels back into the same world as the detail parts which have a slightly more painterly feel. I should also mention that your red is stunningly bright and rich!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Red Shoe posted:

Second Place, 2 Points: Zark the Damned

You did a great job capturing the look of a wrinkly giant thing. Everything is a consistently muted tone, and the freehand and toenails are especially well done.

Monoliths posted:

2nd place (2 points) - Zark the Damned

Diggin this giant pretty hard. The wrinkles and weathering are really selling the idea that he’s probably living outside most of the time. The toenails are great/gross. I like the little goblin a lot, dictating the order of battle from atop his mighty war-buddy (or so he’d like to think). He’s actually a size I’d consider “giant”, rather than the admittedly cool old GW sculpt which is more of an “Andre could probably take him” kinda size.

Thank you both! I really enjoyed working on this guy and I'm stoked that you guys like him too :D

And with that, I believe that's all the judging done for Season 6 - my thanks to all the judges for having to sift through hundreds of pictures and make some tough choices, to krushgroove for organising everything, to everyone who donated prizes or organised competitions for their kindness, and to everyone who participated for making this season big success full of painting progress!

To everyone else, :siren: Last chance to double check the spreadhseet! :siren: - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gyczYXjiTMPxtFrjYiqm1qJIQmj5hjevoWPDwos354w/edit#gid=30

If you spot any mistakes, missing points, judgements or achievements etc., please let me know and link to the post showing it! You have until krushgroove says we're done ;)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Schweet I gotta point. My second one ever! Thanks Monoliths. That guy is probably my favourite one of my x-wing paint jobs to date, though it slightly irks me that my best one is not an original design of mine :(

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Monoliths posted:

Technical challenge point - Signal

I think your experiment must have gone well! This is an example of airbrushing used really nicely I think, in which many of the highlights appear to have been added with a brush later. That’s a great idea, it enables you to bring those smoothly shaded panels back into the same world as the detail parts which have a slightly more painterly feel. I should also mention that your red is stunningly bright and rich!

Thanks man! I did do a lot of the highlights with a brush, and I'm pretty happy how it turned out. The main body is done with Vallejo Model Color Vermillion, and I can't recommend it enough for use in highlighting other reds.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Holy smokes, thanks a million to the judges for their generous comments (and points!) It's great to be able to look back on all the stuff everyone got done last year. That was a lot of paint!

Thanks a million, also, to all the organizers. I know what a colossus pain this can be at times, but the sense of community it builds and the motivation it creates are all well worth it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
And here are the quarterly prizes! Like before, the info on claiming your prizes is at the bottom of the post, instead of after every drawing.

:siren: 1. QUARTERLY PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the large SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: KERZORO!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT paint rack is: GALASPAR!

:siren: 2. QUARTERLY PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the large SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: GERM!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT paint rack is: RAPHUS C!

:siren: 3. QUARTERLY PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the large SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: PASH!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT paint rack is: PASH! AGAIN!

:siren: 4. QUARTERLY PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the large SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: SANGUINE!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT paint rack is: LAZY ANGEL!

To CLAIM your prizes: The default method to claim any prize you may get is to EMAIL krushgroove at krushgroove169 at gmail.com. Please put 'Oath Thread Prize for (your username)' as the subject of your email. In the body of the email, provide your real name, postal address and prize choices. Finally, please see the Postage Costs section immediately below.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Wooo! Email sent!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wooo! we are nearly done with season 6 now! Just have to let everyone check their point totals and start trying to crowbar the prizes out of the sponsors now :) Thanks everyone!

For everyone that has started sending me their info for the prize draws, I'll be going roughly in order chronologically and hope I don't miss anyone. I have a ton of emails to work through so please be patient!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

krushgroove posted:

Wooo! we are nearly done with season 6 now! Just have to let everyone check their point totals and start trying to crowbar the prizes out of the sponsors now :) Thanks everyone!

For everyone that has started sending me their info for the prize draws, I'll be going roughly in order chronologically and hope I don't miss anyone. I have a ton of emails to work through so please be patient!

Postage donations - do we just PayPal to your contact email?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

krushgroove posted:

I don't think I got a single random draw other than LordAba's retro challenge. I demand a recount! ;)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't think I got a single random draw other than LordAba's retro challenge. I demand a recount! ;)

Okay then! Is Indolent Bastard a winner?: 1d2 2. I GUESS SO!
Congrats, you were the first who said you didn't win anything. Just a little bonus straight from me. If you can call it a bonus.
Edit: No, you can't all have new avatars.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

Okay then! Is Indolent Bastard a winner?: 1d2 2. I GUESS SO!
Congrats, you were the first who said you didn't win anything. Just a little bonus straight from me. If you can call it a bonus.
Edit: No, you can't all have new avatars.

I don't care if you did that to put me in my place. It's hilarious, I love it, and I love you. Thanks. :)

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Email sent.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

Postage donations - do we just PayPal to your contact email?

my Paypal email is frank.mckinney@gmail.com (my real name)

I'll be putting things in jiffy bags this weekend for the first lot of shipments!

There's also a couple of Season 7-specific announcements just posted in that thread, assuming everyone is also joined up there.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

krushgroove posted:

my Paypal email is frank.mckinney@gmail.com (my real name)

I'll be putting things in jiffy bags this weekend for the first lot of shipments!

There's also a couple of Season 7-specific announcements just posted in that thread, assuming everyone is also joined up there.

So what is the state of play for this? I remember winning brushes but all went quiet.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Ugleb posted:

So what is the state of play for this? I remember winning brushes but all went quiet.

I think life has interfered with Krushgroove, I have not gotten my quarter 3 prizes from this yet either. I'm sure we will at some point.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah. Prizes may never happen, but what the hell, at least I'm getting stuff painted in the new season.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We are trying to get Krushgroove out of that Myanmarese prison, there was even a fundraiser, but the Foreign Office is having real trouble making headway with the Generals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

We are trying to get Krushgroove out of that Myanmarese prison, there was even a fundraiser, but the Foreign Office is having real trouble making headway with the Generals.

Did they take it up with El Presidente?

• Locked thread