Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

It really depends how far up the difficulty tree you want to go. Easy, Normal and Hard are perfectly doable with just the armour you find in levels.
If you want to complete Hardest and Inferno there's no way around it, you'll need to spend a good few hours grinding out health.
It is possible to complete many (all?) Inferno missions with less than 4 digit armour counts, as in this video of the penultimate mission being cleared with the default 200 starting health (:siren:spoilers:siren: obviously):

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4s1rQus0i7g

In fact, one of the additions to EDF 4 was the option to restrict starting health, because lacking that players wishing to keep their health low need to avoid all armour pickups while playing a level (as seen in the video above), which is yet another PITA.

Mr Phillby posted:

I'd say weapon farming is far, far more important
Definitely, and AFAIK completely unavoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm looking forward to more ant murder and lovely tubs.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Storm One posted:

It is possible to complete many (all?) Inferno missions with less than 4 digit armour counts, as in this video of the penultimate mission being cleared with the default 200 starting health (:siren:spoilers:siren: obviously):

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4s1rQus0i7g

In fact, one of the additions to EDF 4 was the option to restrict starting health, because lacking that players wishing to keep their health low need to avoid all armour pickups while playing a level (as seen in the video above), which is yet another PITA.
I literally just beat 52 on inferno this morning, with 5700hp and a second controller plugged in so I could drop six extra ZEXRS at the start. It was the most difficult thing I've had to do in the game even with that cheat.

That video is just loving unbelievable. I have no clue how it is even possible to keep the Mech alive for longer than five seconds, let alone clear out the majority of the first wave with it. the turret placement seemed important too, that's some high level poo poo right there. The absolute kicker is that I ground for hours to unlock the Lysander Z and here's this guy clowning arguably the hardest level in the game with the second best Sniper Rifle in the game.

Thanks for sharing this, I love seeing people push games to the absolute limit.

Night10194 posted:

I'm looking forward to more ant murder and lovely tubs.
Wait no longer!

Youtube
(polsy)

Youtube
(polsy)

New weapons used this update

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

I literally just beat 52 on inferno this morning, with 5700hp and a second controller plugged in so I could drop six extra ZEXRS at the start. It was the most difficult thing I've had to do in the game even with that cheat.

I had to cheat that mission as well but without the second controller, instead I resorted to shameful i-frame abuse. It's so utterly broken that it trivialises that level but I would never do it the legit way and I really wanted that 100%.

Nice to see Inferno mode make an appearance in the LP, if we're lucky we'll witness some Stampede XM mayhem in some other mission :unsmigghh:

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
I kinda want to get this game after watching this lp. Just, everything is ridiculous and continues to scale upwards into infinite ridiculousness.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ysengrin posted:

I kinda want to get this game after watching this lp. Just, everything is ridiculous and continues to scale upwards into infinite ridiculousness.

From what I've seen from the sequels, we ain't seen nothin' yet. Things are never, ever going to stop escalating and it's wonderful.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Ysengrin posted:

Do it :getin: The PS4 version EDF 4.1 comes out later this year in the West.

If you don't have a PS4, then there's this one for the 360, its sequel (EDF 4, known in the West as EDF 2025) for both 360 and PS3, the amazing EDF 2 (Global Defence Force, for PAL PS2 only), and some other versions for the PSP/Vita/PSTV I don't know much about.
Honestly, if you intend on owning a PS4 eventually, it's best to skip 2025 entirely as its PS4 update (4.1) is significantly better; 2017 and EDF2 are still worth it though, IMO.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Definitely play EDF!

If you have a PSVita the 2017 port is very good and has the Pale Wing from EDF2 as an unlockable character.

I definitely recommend playing EDF2! It's my favourite of the series and handles the escalating alien threat the best. Be warned it definitely runs the worst in a series notorious for bad framerates. The PS2 can only handle so much! For some reason the European release was re-titled 'Global Defence Force' and held back until a month after 2017 hit shelves. I'm super stoked for the upcoming PSVita port!

EDF: Insect Armageddon is not a completely awful game, but hard to recommend now 2025 exists. It's interesting to see EDF filtered through traditional western game design.

Not technically EDF, but if you have a modded Wii and a tolerance for menu screens in Japanese then I also recommend Zangeki no Reginleiv, the title Sandlot worked on between 2017 and 2025. It takes the EDF formula and applies to a very anime re-telling of Norse mythology. It makes heavy use of the Wiimote Motion plus add-on, so expect lots of waggle, but that's a small annoyance in a game about surgically removing Frost Giants legs with bloody great hammers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EDF Insect Armageddon is good for me for one reason: I got it for myself and a bunch of friends at 2 bucks a copy on Steam and none of them have Xboxes or PS whatevers, so it's the only way I can get multiplayer ant murder.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I just watched the first video, and I love how dumb the script is:
"So, those alien ships appeared over our cities, and we call them the Ravagers."
*Suddenly giant ants attack everything*
"Hohum, we don't know if these events are connected, let's continue to try and contact the Ravagers, I'm sure they are peaceful"
:downs:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
This game is entertaining as hell. I borrowed it from a friend a long time ago and loved it. Thanks for the entertaining videos, I just marathoned the whole thing yesterday.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Just watched my way through all the videos, hoping there is more to come and we're not left hanging after the halfway boss.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I've only played 2025, but I'm noticing a lot of similarities in the plot.

On a related note, it feels weird to have flashbacks to events that technically haven't happened yet.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Not only plot, most of the missions in 2017 appear in 2025 with slightly tweaked level design (and in EDF2, as seen in Mr Phillby's PIP segments).

MithrilRoshi
Oct 11, 2015
EDF Insect Armageddon was pretty good, though for some reason it lacked much of the wackiness of this game. For instance when you shoot the giant robots they act like they are advertising for cars by the way they frail about XD

Maybe thats all this is, intergalactic door to door sales men "WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE OUR GIANT BUGS?! 50% OFF!"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I like Insect Armageddon's gameplay better, but the level design was poo poo. It's like the devs were afraid of throwing enough stuff at you to make the console start to protest, and apparently never got the memo that that's the loving point. I was so disappointed when things were finally starting to ramp up to crazy, but then nope, that was the last mission, the game is over, I beat it in a weekend of half-assing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I had some fun with Insect Armageddon when it came out, but a while back I played it again on the PC and barely bothered to finish the first level. Maybe I shouldn't have played it right after finishing EDF 4.1 because that is a hell of an act to follow, but IA is just a bland and ugly game with lovely level design and dialog that tries way too hard to be as funny as EDF 2017. The cheesy lines don't work when you're constantly winking at the audience and going "See? SEE? We GET EDF!"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hey I just found this thread. I'm a big EDF crazy person and had been considering attempting to do a LP series of the EDF games so I'm kinda glad to see someone else beat me to it and probably is doing it more interestingly than I would have!

I got 1000 gamerscore in 2017 on 360 and also recently got platinum in 2017 portable for Vita so if you ever want a somewhat competent person to co-op with in IA or the upcoming re-re-release of EDF2 for vita or 4.1 on PS4 feel free to ask me along.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Whoops I didn't make a video for three months!

Well now I did, and you can watch it. Only one video this time, but it covers a pair of fairly lengthy missions. I dabbled with Live commentary this time, rather than my usual post-play babble. Let me know what you think!

Youtube
(polsy)

:siren: New(ish) EDF titles for PS4 and PSVita :siren:

Today sees the North American release of EDF4.1: The Shadow of New Despair for the PS4, and EDF2: Invaders From Planet Space for the PSVita!

By all accounts 4.1 is a huge improvement over the already excellent EDF2025, and puts right a great wrong by actually having Godzillas this time around.
Invaders from Planet Space is the first time EDF2 has seen release in the USA and looks to be a much, much better localization effort than the previous European PS2 release.

Both games are set to come to Europe under a different publisher (PQube), but as of yet no release dates have been announced. However both consoles are region free if (like me) you cannot wait for more EDF goodness.

Oh yeah, and there's rumors that 4.1 is coming to steam for all you non PlayStation owning folks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hurrah for ant murder!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, if the weakspot is visible, can you shoot down the mothership in that mission?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
No, only the cannon is vulnerable, he did shoot another rocket at it and it didn't glow, so no damage was done.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I did actually comment on it when I recorded but I cut out a lot of waffle at the end.

On an unrelated note, EDF4.1 is really, really good. If any of you guys bought it add MrPhillby if you wanna do some online ravager murdering!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's been another couple of months, but rest assured I will finish this LP.

Youtube
(polsy)

Youtube
(polsy)

Youtube
(polsy)

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
Your latest videos are private.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hurrah for more ant murder!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SilverFire posted:

Your latest videos are private.
Whoops!

They should be viewable now, thanks for the heads up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it odd that I like the countryside settings more than the urban ones? Maybe I'm just inured to the urban ones from so much prior Earth Defense Force.

Also in the country your cover is hills and rocks, which are much less destructible than buildings, apparently, so there's that going for it too.

Hoping you can get find the time to get back to this.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Also in the country your cover is hills and rocks, which are much less destructible than buildings, apparently, so there's that going for it too.

Dirt > Concrete, of course.

Earth is clearly the most powerful defense.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ysengrin posted:

Dirt > Concrete, of course.

Earth is clearly the most powerful defense.

considering the durability of the bugholes compared to buildings, you're probably on to something.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I live!

It's been a little while! On top of being pretty busy I've had the sort of computer issues that make you want to spend your free time doing anything but record and edit videos. It's all fine now though! In fact it's better than fine, because it turns out due to some busted cables I have to record via HDMI rather than component now, so we've gone FULL 1080p BABY!

Youtube
(polsy)

In EDF related news, EDF 4.1 unexpectedly got released on Steam last week! I made a little video showing it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCEyhCNwhQ

In non-EDF related news, I've started a little playthrough of Nuclear Throne on my Youtube channel. It's a Let's Beat rather than a Let's Play, as I plan to stop when I complete the game once. I've got a few episodes in the bag right now, and I plan on putting at least one up a week. Here's a link to the playlist. There should be three episodes on there once the latest two are done processing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I was planning to start catching up on this again once I got around to my first clear of PC 4.1 , and now I find a brand new update once I have :buddy:

Good luck with everything, as cool as the games are some burnout is understandable when trying to demonstrate them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh my, more tubs! More ants. MORE MURDER.

Also, EDF 4.1 coming to PC has been absolutely marvelous.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011
I've started a clean-slate save and beat Inferno with my friend around four times on this game, we just can't get enough giant bugs! GDF and 4.1 may have tons of more stuff in them, but 2017 will always hold a special place in my heart. Being able to switch weapon while rolling helps.

Do you have any plans of showing off C-bombs? They work really well as a primary weapon because you can drop one while being chased, roll away a couple of times and watch the ants fly. They're usually powerful enough to oneshot even red ants in the difficulty they're scaled for, and the radius is enough that it's often faster than using rocket launchers. Additionally, you can put out a lot in one place to instantly take out nests and the like. That's not even mentioning that if you know where a wave is going to spawn, you can plant bombs all over that area and skip the wave entirely. I think it's the only way my friend and I managed to beat level 50 or so on Inferno with 2k health.

Additionally, there are some buildings in the game with staircases you can climb on, some of which will even get you up on roofs for ideal sniping positions. The only one I know exactly where is is in the mission 21 (where you used the helicopter to draw aggro away from all the nests). The building is behind you to the right from where you spawn. It's a lot more useful in co-op when you have a friend who can draw aggro in the front while you snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Night10194 posted:

Oh my, more tubs! More ants. MORE MURDER.

Also, EDF 4.1 coming to PC has been absolutely marvelous.

It is great and wonderful and glorious. A few vexing missions aside.

Also RIP Wingdivers not getting the songs.

• Locked thread