Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's our boy?
This poll is closed.
Roy's our boy! 23 19.83%
Roy's our boy! 7 6.03%
Roy's our boy! 14 12.07%
Woaaahhhh! Yea-uuh! 72 62.07%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Endorph posted:

It's a little hard to depict in screenshots, but this lady runs onscreen and bumps into Roy.

Perhaps you might want to use GIFs to depict that then? Like some of the others are saying, it's far more optimal to record things in advance before snagging screen caps. That's what I always do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'd take a real Deke to complain about someone having a funny name

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

zidane13 posted:

There'd be bitching no matter what she was named. I like Milady, its funny and FE is a funny series.

And yet all I can think of is that it would be a lot funnier if it were done to the lord class unit of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trasson posted:

1) You really need to knock the size of the screencaps down. It shouldn't take me as long as it does to load a page.

2) You need map shots, maybe with some explanation of where everyone is going. "And then this guy killed this one and then this one killed this one" interspersed with level up screens tells me nothing about the map.
yes

and yes

ill be doing the video thing i already realized i should be doing it, but i already had the first two chapter's screenshots.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Manatee Cannon posted:

It'd take a real Deke to complain about someone having a funny name

Yeah, that's one of the only major gripes I have with the patch so far, aside from some name changes I didn't like. Why not rename the guy to "Zeke" or something, even if Deke WAS the official name given in Brawl/Awakening (whichever it was)? Or maybe just take a liberty and call him something appropriate short, yet cool sounding? Like maybe "Ozma" if that doesn't sound too much like "Ogma"?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 18, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was just making a pun, or play on words

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think Deke is good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

edit: misspelled Dick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah, that's one of the only major gripes I have with the patch so far, aside from some name changes I didn't like. Why not rename the guy to "Zeke" or something, even if Deke WAS the official name given in Brawl/Awakening (whichever it was)? Or maybe just take a liberty and call him something appropriate short, yet cool sounding? Like maybe "Ozma" if that doesn't sound too much like "Ogma"?
There was already a Zeke in FE2.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The Japanese clearly want him to be called Dieck so Dieck he shall be :colbert: just look at his character-art! Besides, it's an actual name too. Actually I'm really bothered that they changed Dieck to the weird as gently caress Deke but kept Elen instead of Ellen when that's like the #1 most obvious change in the game. Seems very random to me. I mean, if you're gonna change names anyway...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Insurrectionist posted:

The Japanese clearly want him to be called Dieck so Dieck he shall be :colbert: just look at his character-art! Besides, it's an actual name too. Actually I'm really bothered that they changed Dieck to the weird as gently caress Deke but kept Elen instead of Ellen when that's like the #1 most obvious change in the game. Seems very random to me. I mean, if you're gonna change names anyway...

Actually she was Ellen in the old translation.

So it's not that they kept Elen, it's that they looked at the old translation and said "Ellen isn't a name" (Probably because they wanted to change the perfect reasonable Alan to Allen) but yes, want to change Dieck to Deke or Duke (Reminder, the former is a hockey plan, not a name) even though Dieck is a legitimate name.

EDIT: Well the reason for doing so was Brawl, which probably translated it as Deke because his name pretty much is just Diku. So the literal homophone translation is Dick. And since everyone is 12, and they decided we can't just call him Richard... there's never been a Richard in Fire Emblem? Really?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 18, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amazingly, there's never been an Alex in a fire emblem game, either. The closest is Lex.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Onmi posted:

Actually she was Ellen in the old translation.

So it's not that they kept Elen, it's that they looked at the old translation and said "Ellen isn't a name" (Probably because they wanted to change the perfect reasonable Alan to Allen) but yes, want to change Dieck to Deke or Duke (Reminder, the former is a hockey plan, not a name) even though Dieck is a legitimate name.

EDIT: Well the reason for doing so was Brawl, which probably translated it as Deke because his name pretty much is just Diku. So the literal homophone translation is Dick. And since everyone is 12, and they decided we can't just call him Richard... there's never been a Richard in Fire Emblem? Really?

Yeah, I know since I'm playing with the old translation myself. As you said, Brawl provides the excuse for Deke even though I stand by it being way dumber than Dick/Dieck. That said I'm not sure what kinda reasoning they have for these names, it seems very inconsistent. Elen instead of Ellen seems to be because it's how the character art translates it, and it's a reasonable interpretation of what her name would be in English, despite it being a much rarer name than Ellen and seemingly mostly used in Wales. Similarly Allen seems to have been kept for the same reasons (though to be fair it's not that unknown a name anyway, Allen Iverson and all). But then, what's up with the Thany/Shanna deal?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
As of Awakening, her name is Shanna.

The name changing seems to be horribly arbitrary and I'm just going to shrug at it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, I know since I'm playing with the old translation myself. As you said, Brawl provides the excuse for Deke even though I stand by it being way dumber than Dick/Dieck. That said I'm not sure what kinda reasoning they have for these names, it seems very inconsistent. Elen instead of Ellen seems to be because it's how the character art translates it, and it's a reasonable interpretation of what her name would be in English, despite it being a much rarer name than Ellen and seemingly mostly used in Wales. Similarly Allen seems to have been kept for the same reasons (though to be fair it's not that unknown a name anyway, Allen Iverson and all). But then, what's up with the Thany/Shanna deal?

Just wait until we get to Jerrot.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

theshim posted:

As of Awakening, her name is Shanna.

The name changing seems to be horribly arbitrary and I'm just going to shrug at it.

Well...I followed the translation patch as it was being developed by Gringe. Basically, his priorities for names were...

"Is there an official localization for it? If there is, then I'll use that official name. If not, I'll decide what they should be".

It sounds arbitrary at first, but, Serenes Forest is absolutely INFAMOUS for getting into these huge rage fests over how someone should be named, so Gringe kind of had to have a "forget the crowd, I'm doing things MY way" mentality in order to not be bogged down by all that. So I don't blame him for anything.

EDIT: Plus, he's set things up so that anyone who doesn't like the changes he made can easily edit the script themselves if I recall correctly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Well...I followed the translation patch as it was being developed by Gringe. Basically, his priorities for names were...

"Is there an official localization for it? If there is, then I'll use that official name. If not, I'll decide what they should be".

It sounds arbitrary at first, but, Serenes Forest is absolutely INFAMOUS for getting into these huge rage fests over how someone should be named, so Gringe kind of had to have a "forget the crowd, I'm doing things MY way" mentality in order to not be bogged down by all that. So I don't blame him for anything.

EDIT: Plus, he's set things up so that anyone who doesn't like the changes he made can easily edit the script themselves if I recall correctly.

It's as simple as popping into FEditor and making the change. I don't blame Gringe for what he did, one of the most infamous wars on Serenes was over the name for Samto in FE12, I believe it was Arch who pointed out that his name had no meaning and at the time they had no real localization for it (Samuto is basically what it literally is) and Arch suggested that he instead be called Virgil, since it was a 'cool' name. In any normal world, this would not have been a big deal, in loving Serenes it basically lead to a war. Anyone trying to edit names of anything got you poo poo on hard.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Onmi posted:

It's as simple as popping into FEditor and making the change. I don't blame Gringe for what he did, one of the most infamous wars on Serenes was over the name for Samto in FE12, I believe it was Arch who pointed out that his name had no meaning and at the time they had no real localization for it (Samuto is basically what it literally is) and Arch suggested that he instead be called Virgil, since it was a 'cool' name. In any normal world, this would not have been a big deal, in loving Serenes it basically lead to a war. Anyone trying to edit names of anything got you poo poo on hard.

Samto wasn't in fact the guy the Virgil shitstorm happened over. It was Belf, who Blazer in particular wanted a namechange for because it sounded a lot like "barf" to him. Samto had a pretty big debate over him too, as did Sheema for some reason, but never team-destroyingly bad. IIRC Arch retired from the translation team because of the mess surrounding it, but I'm not 100% sure on the details because it was a couple of months before my time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

Samto wasn't in fact the guy the Virgil shitstorm happened over. It was Belf, who Blazer in particular wanted a namechange for because it sounded a lot like "barf" to him. Samto had a pretty big debate over him too, as did Sheema for some reason, but never team-destroyingly bad. IIRC Arch retired from the translation team because of the mess surrounding it, but I'm not 100% sure on the details because it was a couple of months before my time.

Right, details are lost. But in short, name changes on Serenes are "a big deal" If you want to see some of this nuttery first hand

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=31780&hl=%2Bthracia+%2Btranslation

Just understand that if you're going to do a project like that, it's best to not do it anywhere near Serenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey so it turns out that what i wanted to do was replay FE6 and doing an LP would just get in the way of that

rather, I really did have a lot of things about FE6's game design and plot that i wanted to touch on, but the actual process of making an LP just isn't something i enjoy, I've come to realize. there's a reason FEDDOP had so many massive delays even though it could be beaten in like an hour.

instead of trying to soldier on and burning out halfway ill just cut this off here. onmi made some really cool posts in this thread, so sorry for not letting you make more. blood pacts were a good plot point. here's some fanart.

good night everybody

• Locked thread