Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Bonus: Abyssal God with no subclasses.

REALLY don't try this one at home! It took over 50 attempts. Turns out when you don't have access to subclassing, your options diminish greatly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Dr. Fetus posted:

Bonus: Abyssal God with no subclasses.

REALLY don't try this one at home! It took over 50 attempts. Turns out when you don't have access to subclassing, your options diminish greatly!
I thought that theshim and Saigyouji were the crazy ones :catstare:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Great job on this LP. It was fun to read, informative and well-written. This is probably me favorite screen-shot LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, subclasses really made this game into a giant pick-n-mix. I'm amazed it held together as well as it did.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Your next LP should be EO5.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Ubiquitous_ posted:

You might like this then. edit: wow, the things i screw up while phone posting

Thank you Fetus for finishing a good LP of a good game despite the curse's efforts. :atlus:

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 7, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can't believe Let's Play EO3 is loving dead.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

As Level Seven pointed out, not only did I do that already, but I just posted the final update for it.

alcharagia posted:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

You must really hate this boss. :stare:

werbear posted:

but of all the kills you have shown this last one is my favorite - using Knighthood to turn the Abyssal God's input reads against it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7N1ZqKZ50

alcharagia posted:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 7, 2017

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
I've been going over the Abyssal God's AI and skills with my brother who's never played an EO game, and he's ruled out that the only way to actually beat this boss is to set the game cartridge on fire. And here you are with six different victories. Calling you an evil genius would be an understatement.

Thank you for the fantastic LP and making sure I didn't have to suffer through this postgame on my own to see the end. In the right situations, I might have actually wanted to fight the Abyssal God, but that's way too much BS for me to handle.

alcharagia posted:

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Don't let Abyssal God put you off the game. EO3 is fantastic, it has flaws but every EO does and 3's are the least damning of any of the DS games. It's only the 6th stratum where it goes into bullshit design and even then it's mainly in the last half of the stratum.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Fetus, seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with you?! But all in all a good LP in the can, looking forward to re-reading it on the archives :v:

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Oh man I didn't realize this came back. The Knighthood exploit was pretty brilliant, there.

Seeing these kind of narrative playthroughs is what got me to finish EO3 in the first place, and has kept me playing the series to date, even if I'm not the best at them. Congratulations!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Efe posted:

Now that you've finally dealt with the Deep Princess, I can tell my story of how I cheesed the everloving gently caress out of that boss without even knowing what I was doing.

The fight went pretty normally for me (normal meaning slow and arduous 'cause I had no idea what I was doing) until I got her down to just below half health. I think my Wildling was trying to confuse her the entire time, but failed each time. At that point, I decided to head bind her, and you probably know how well that turned out. The crappy thing on top of that, however, is that I think I either landed another head bind or I switched to a different kind of bind before I knew what was going to happen. So she heals 5000 off the first bind on one turn, and heals another 5000 on the second, when I finally manage to call back my animal. I pretty much had to do the whole fight all over again from there, but I'm stubborn so I didn't bother resetting. At some point I did manage to confuse her, which I remember lasting for far longer than I feel it should have (it must have been 3 or 4 turns, but it felt like more). But then something weird happened with her AI, because she just kept spamming Sweet Song over and over again, doing nothing else for almost the entire rest of the battle, so I just beat her up until she died. I told Ragnar the whole thing as it happened, even he couldn't figure out what the hell I did.

Well for reference, here's the Deep Princess' AI.

Deep Princess' AI posted:

Cast Thin Ice on the 1st turn. (Standard targeting.)

If HP is below 51% and self has head bind, cast Ocean Drop. (Targets self.)

If HP is below 100% and self has head bind, arm bind, and leg bind, cast Ocean Drop. (Targets self.)

If HP is below 51% and the party has 6 or more buffs, and no one is confused, cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

If HP is below 26%, and Anticold was input, 69% chance to follow this routine:
-59% chance to cast Lament. (Standard targeting.)
-41% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

If HP is below 51%, and Anticold was input, 39% chance to follow this routine:
-69% chance to cast Lament. (Standard targeting.)
-31% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

If HP is below 26%, and Ice Prophecy was input, 69% chance to follow this routine:
-59% chance to cast Lament. (Standard targeting.)
-41% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

If HP is below 51%, and Ice Prophecy was input, 39% chance to follow this routine:
-69% chance to cast Lament. (Standard targeting.)
-31% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

If HP is not below 11%, cast Dubious Mist on turns that are multiples of 5. (Standard targeting.)

If HP is between 11% and 26%, self's head is not bound, cast Lament on turns that are multiples of 4. (Standard targeting.)

From 100% to 76% HP:
-19% chance to cast Thin Ice. (Standard targeting.)
-60% chance to cast Thunder Wrath. (Standard targeting.)
-21% chance to use a regular attack. (Standard targeting.)

From 75% to 51% HP:
-If self's head is not bound:
--70% chance to cast Thin Ice. (Standard targeting.)
--20% chance to cast Thunder Wrath. (Standard targeting.)
--10% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

-Else:
--4% chance to cast Ocean Drop. (Targets self.)
--50% chance to cast Thin Ice. (Standard targeting.)
--26% chance to use a regular attack. (Standard targeting.)

From 50% to 26% HP:
--39% chance to cast Thin Ice. (Standard targeting.)
--41% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

-Else:
--19% chance to cast Ocean Drop. (Targets self.)
--30% chance to cast Thin Ice. (Standard targeting.)
--20% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.
--10% chance to cast Thunder Wrath. (Standard targeting.)
--21% chance to use a regular attack. (Standard targeting.)

From 25% HP to death:
--39% chance to cast Thin Ice. (Standard targeting.)
--30% chance to cast Thunder Wrath. (Standard targeting.)
--31% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

-Else:
--39% chance to cast Ocean Drop. (Targets self.)
--20% chance to cast Thin Ice. (Standard targeting.)
--10% chance to cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.
--10% chance to cast Thunder Wrath. (Standard targeting.)
--21% chance to use a regular attack. (Standard targeting.)

(Yes, she has a bunch of routines that are completely inaccessible due to Ocean Drop. I wonder if that was a later addition and the fight was meant to be paced differently.)

If you had her HP below 51%, and you had 6 or more buffs on the party while no one was confused, she would been casting Sweet Song constantly. Except this can very easily be countered by casting Prevent Order on both rows, or having Regroup Tactic up, which means that she would be trapped in an AI lock. :roflolmao: Alternatively, you could just give everyone Confusion resistance accessories while having 6 or more buffs on everyone. (However, the 50% resistance ones are locked off until Stratum 6, so 90% resistance is the best you can get here.) If that wasn't the case, she had plenty of other opportunities to cast it, especially if you were spamming Anticold or Ice Prophecy, since she does input read.

If none of those cases happened, then I have absolutely no idea what you did to pull that off.

Also just keeping this out of archives for now while I keep on correcting info and cleaning up the LP before I can even think of sending it off for archiving. It turns out that there was a lot I got wrong, and need to correct. :suicide: On the plus side, I get to see hilarious AI locks like this, so it's not all too bad.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You did a great job dude, you're being way too hard on yourself :)

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well for reference, here's the Deep Princess' AI.

(Yes, she has a bunch of routines that are completely inaccessible due to Ocean Drop. I wonder if that was a later addition and the fight was meant to be paced differently.)

If you had her HP below 51%, and you had 6 or more buffs on the party while no one was confused, she would been casting Sweet Song constantly. Except this can very easily be countered by casting Prevent Order on both rows, or having Regroup Tactic up, which means that she would be trapped in an AI lock. :roflolmao: Alternatively, you could just give everyone Confusion resistance accessories while having 6 or more buffs on everyone. (However, the 50% resistance ones are locked off until Stratum 6, so 90% resistance is the best you can get here.) If that wasn't the case, she had plenty of other opportunities to cast it, especially if you were spamming Anticold or Ice Prophecy, since she does input read.

If none of those cases happened, then I have absolutely no idea what you did to pull that off.

Also just keeping this out of archives for now while I keep on correcting info and cleaning up the LP before I can even think of sending it off for archiving. It turns out that there was a lot I got wrong, and need to correct. :suicide: On the plus side, I get to see hilarious AI locks like this, so it's not all too bad.

Is it also possible that he just built tons of Confusion AR and then she's stuck just spamming that?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Yukari posted:

Is it also possible that he just built tons of Confusion AR and then she's stuck just spamming that?

It's not the AR, but more 'why is the AI spamming this skill over and over?'

The AR should have anything to do with the AI, it only effects if you were hit by confusion and prevent order does the same thing (protecting you).

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It's not the AR, but more 'why is the AI spamming this skill over and over?'

The AR should have anything to do with the AI, it only effects if you were hit by confusion and prevent order does the same thing (protecting you).

I mean as far as "why nobody became confused" without using protect order/regroup tactic. If they were all confused earlier and got healed from it twice each, as might happen in a longer fight, with buffs up, the AI might be spamming the skill over and over even though it can't inflict confusion anymore.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Yukari posted:

I mean as far as "why nobody became confused" without using protect order/regroup tactic. If they were all confused earlier and got healed from it twice each, as might happen in a longer fight, with buffs up, the AI might be spamming the skill over and over even though it can't inflict confusion anymore.

You are correct in assuming that I had built up confusion resistance due to being struck with it a few times, but this AI doesn't react to AR in any way. It's not technically deciding to cast it again directly because of my AR, but as a result of it. The important part is here:

Deep Princess' AI posted:

If HP is below 51% and the party has 6 or more buffs, and no one is confused, cast Sweet Song. (Standard targeting.)

As Fetus mentioned, this case right here would technically lead to constant casting of Sweet Song. I had a Prince on my team, so I definitely had a few buffs on my party, and I know I got her below half her health before she healed back up after the two binds landed. I don't know if I can say for sure that her AI got muddled because of being sent back a phase or two or I just managed to get her back under 51% after my confusion landed on her, but she had already tagged my party with panic (not necessarily everyone at once) at least once or twice so we had definitely built up resistance to it. Hence, Sweet Song wasn't likely to land again, but she kept trying to because my team had buffs and none of them were currently confused.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That particular check always checks on the current HP, and as far as I know, there's no way to actually break an enemy's AI outside of holes within the script. So it was either you got her below half health again, or you ran into one of the other Sweet Song checks and got lucky.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So the final EO game for the 3DS got revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJDwsDUlVI

EOX, or Etrian Odyssey Cross. Which is basically a celebration game with several elements from the previous EO games.

Class Roster:
EO1: Highlander, Ronin, Protector, Survivalist, Medic
EO2: War Magus, Gunner
EO3: Sovereign, Ninja, Farmer, Shogun, Zodiac
EO4: Imperial, Arcanist, Landsknecht, Nightseeker
EO5: Harbinger, Pugilist
New: Hero

Uses EO5's mechanics (Get hosed, TEC), and subclassing is in. EO2U's Force system is in as well.

Also,

Best shopkeeper made it in.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
EO5 mechanics AND subclasses? Does that mean you get a legendary title and a subclass to boot?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
New armored girl appears to be named Persephone, pink-haired one is Birgitte.

Also

is life

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

So the final EO game for the 3DS got revealed.

Uh... Final? As in, they're not going to make any more? Seems kind of a waste.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

Uh... Final? As in, they're not going to make any more? Seems kind of a waste.

The 3DS is nearly dead at this point, basically a zombie machine. Its successor, the Switch, has already proven itself to be an actually valuable console in the market, unlike the Wii U.

Sooner or later you have to move on.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

The 3DS is nearly dead at this point, basically a zombie machine. Its successor, the Switch, has already proven itself to be an actually valuable console in the market, unlike the Wii U.

Sooner or later you have to move on.

For some reason I thought it was "Final EO game period" :downs:

Carry on then

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Now the question is, of course:

Eng. Version when

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stare:
:catstare:
Oh god that's basically all my favourites minus Dark Hunter (or Warlock but that particular niche is replicated almost identical every game and I do love Zodiacs too).

WHO the gently caress do I use first playthrough?

E: will we have actually useful farmer? The world wonders

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Musings on the classes:
Shogun and Nightseeker are both dual wield classes so they probably have some great synergy. Imperial and Zodiac likely go together well for similar reasons.
Medic, War Magus, and Sovereign are the healing classes I guess. Or maybe Hero will be a hybrid healer like War Magus? They could give Protector some stronger healing ability as well.
Speaking of which I guess Protector is the only tank.

Is Highlander the only class with a subclass-usable charge skill in this lineup?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Edie's message at the end of the trailer:

quote:

"Mayotta toki ga kaidoki ja," which may mean: "When in doubt or you're lost, it's a good time to buy!"

Never change, Edie. :allears:

McFrugal posted:

Musings on the classes:
Shogun and Nightseeker are both dual wield classes so they probably have some great synergy. Imperial and Zodiac likely go together well for similar reasons.
Medic, War Magus, and Sovereign are the healing classes I guess. Or maybe Hero will be a hybrid healer like War Magus? They could give Protector some stronger healing ability as well.
Speaking of which I guess Protector is the only tank.

Is Highlander the only class with a subclass-usable charge skill in this lineup?

Zodiac had Etheric Charge in EO3! If they still have it, Imperials would love to subclass as a Zodiac. :unsmigghh:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Zodiac had Etheric Charge in EO3! If they still have it, Imperials would love to subclass as a Zodiac. :unsmigghh:

Oh yeah wow jeez.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Don't Imperials get innate charge anyways? Imperial passives were decent on a runeseeker back in 4 so Zodiac/Runemaster could also work for a TEC based attacker.

Also :lol: farmers but no Yggdroids, they clearly threw the towel there.

Wishlist: we get ALL the portraits, so you can have a Protector that's an Hoplite or Fortress, a Nightseeker with DH portraits, your medic is a monk etc

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Omobono posted:

Don't Imperials get innate charge anyways?

Charge Edge, yes. Which is a far better fit for them because it reduces Drive cooldown while also activating a charge effect.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
That's alot of classes. I get why but still, that's alot. Shame there isn't any Fafnir Knight class considering the return of Force and Highlander is in the upcoming game but maybe they'll include it as DLC though that's just me being hopeful to be honest.

I also find it neat that while there isn't any plans for 3 Untold, the classes in 3 alongside the first game are tied to having the most classes for X.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wonder if theyll keep all the zodiac and shogun shenanigans you could get up to.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

They'll probably silo the most broken abilities behind legendary names so that subclassing doesn't break class balance like a twig AGAIN.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Wait, wait, wait, Untold 2 Focus gauge returns? Titles, and Subclassing? Oh Atlus, take my heart!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Wait, wait, wait, Untold 2 Focus gauge returns? Titles, and Subclassing? Oh Atlus, take my money!

ftfy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So the EO3 class trailer for EOX got released (There's a Hoist the Sword remix in there.) and the site updated with part of the classes' skills. I bring this up because you all may be interested in the Farmer's skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmmXQpIj00

quote:

Sovereign:
Attack Order: Unchanged from EO3/EO2U.
'Last Order': Cancels all buffs on Sovereign to increase attack and defense of the party for 1 turn
Force Boost: Victory Vow: Unchanged from EO2U.
Force Break: Proof of Nobility: Prevents buffs from being removed and doubles the effectiveness of your current buffs (does not apply to extra effects such as Ronin stances) for one turn.

quote:

Shogun:
Warrior Might: For one turn, chase all attacks from party members with the equipped weapon. Each time the chase activates, Shogun loses HP.
Zangetsuiaijin: Select one ally. Each time that ally is attacked, the front line will counterattack with their equipped weapons.
Force Boost: Battle Formation: for 3 turns raise the party's max HP and physical and elemental attack (doesn't seem to set current HP to the new maximum)
Force Break: Body Double: for one turn the party will nullify an effect from an enemy once (not sure what that means exactly)

quote:

Zodiac:
'Multi-stage Ether': Ether spells become weaker, random targeting and deal several hits (similar to Spread Chant from EO5)
Meteor: Unchanged from EO3. Not classified as an Ether skill.
Force Boost: 'Astrology Time Axis': Refunds half the TP cost of any Ether skills and boosts the power of Ether skills for 3 turns
Force Break: Astral Sign: ranged Fire + Ice + Volt element attack to all enemies. Allies do not consume TP on the turn this is used.

quote:

Ninja:
Bunshin: Creates a clone. Now costs 0 TP
Tagen Battou: Unchanged from EO3.
Force Boost: Shinobazu: Increases aggro and evasion.
Force Break: Ninpo: Poison Mist. Heavily poisons all enemies.

quote:

Farmer:
Gift Sharing: Transfers the Farmer's TP to other party members in their row
Harvest Festival: Deals melee cut damage to all enemies. If any enemies are bound, they take more damage and have a chance to instantly die.
Force Boost: Iten Again. Whenever the Farmer uses an item, they'll use it twice.
Force Break: Final Stratagem. Completely refills the entire party's force gauges. Also has a chance to repair any broken Force Gauges.

Yeah. Reaper Farmers are real now! And they have a bunch of new toys to play with to boot! They're still primarily field supports, since the revealed skill tree showed them having most of their EO3 skills. Including Earth's Bounty, which means more since Farmers aren't exactly an empty party slot anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Alice (the farmer) will be more like Alice (the demon) now, and I can not stop smiling.

• Locked thread