Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The loving but came off and we're stuck in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately made it to someone's driveway.

Worst case we can prob have someone come out with one.

Never mind the guy we stopped at happened to have the right but and its got a locking poly so we can get home

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Nut we borrowed from some awesome farmer was meant for the carriage bolts on his deck. Wasn't going to drive on that for long. Pulled in to the first place which ended up being a Chevy dealership and I know they charged me ten times what the nut actually would have cost but IDGAF everything was about to close it was still pocket change and at least I know for sure its the right one for the application. People have died from sticking whatever technically fits on their front end.

When I cranked that on properly suddenly the slight alignment issue I had that I was going to have worked on at my next oil change went away :v: Those fuckfaces that I bought the truck from must have not tightened it down right when I brought the thing back to them to fix a steering rack leak that developed just before my 90 day warranty expired.

Assholes.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The farmer's nut was probably better quality :v:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity: People have died from sticking whatever technically fits on their front end

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

The farmer's nut was probably better quality :v:

There is something to be said about a good farmers daughter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would have been too old for any of his daughters.

The wife, on the other hand....

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Did they stop putting cotter pins on those? I refreshed my Chevy's front end about a year ago, and it was pretty reassuring to find a couple missing cotter pins from the previous owner.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Raluek posted:

Did they stop putting cotter pins on those? I refreshed my Chevy's front end about a year ago, and it was pretty reassuring to find a couple missing cotter pins from the previous owner.
I replaced tie rod ends on a late 1990s Malibu that had nuts with plastic lockers instead of castle nuts and pins.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup, I haven't seen cotter pins for suspension nuts on a car for a long time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya they aren't castle nuts. I looked on the tie rod end and there's no hole for a pin.

If this thing survives long enough for me to need new ends I'll buy aftermarket that has em but until then I'll check em on a regular basis.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I'd expect most stuff uses plastic locking nuts now. Nothing wrong with that, assuming they're put on properly.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I'd expect most stuff uses plastic locking nuts now. Nothing wrong with that, assuming they're put on properly.

1/2" Impact gun, 120psi (30 over what it should be), 25 ratta-tat-tats. Torque'd to perfection.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

gently caress that. Just, no, not trusting that poo poo. I'd be tempted to go through that and put on new fasteners with red loctite or cotter pins.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

EightBit posted:

gently caress that. Just, no, not trusting that poo poo. I'd be tempted to go through that and put on new fasteners with red loctite or cotter pins.

Submarines, aircraft, and aircraft carriers trust locknuts just fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Submarines, aircraft, and aircraft carriers trust locknuts just fine.
Yeah. Difference is, those aren't taken apart and put back together by idiots in a back alley somewhere.

Proper torque and good surfaces are what hold fasteners together. Any kind of locking feature is an "oh poo poo" extra, not a primary way of keeping it all in one piece.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, nylock nuts always worry me because I can guarantee you X Y Z brake shop has had them off and back on a million times.

It's one thing if they're fairly standard because then there's a chance it's in their bolt bin, but Subaru in particular likes crazy loving versions of them that inevitably get replaced by the aftermarket with toothed flange nuts.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, nylock nuts always worry me because I can guarantee you X Y Z brake shop has had them off and back on a million times.

It's one thing if they're fairly standard because then there's a chance it's in their bolt bin, but Subaru in particular likes crazy loving versions of them that inevitably get replaced by the aftermarket with toothed flange nuts.

My boss got upset with me when I wouldn't reuse nylon nuts for the top of struts. So I still don't..

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SouthsideSaint posted:

My boss got upset with me when I wouldn't reuse nylon nuts for the top of struts. So I still don't..

Just cross thread them when you put them back on. That way the threads will cut new grooves in the nylon and it'll stay tight.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
When I did the tie rod ends on my old 2002 Camry last year it had castle nuts and cotter pins. After some googling, it doesn't look like the tie rod ends on my new 2014 Fusion do though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Just cross thread them when you put them back on. That way the threads will cut new grooves in the nylon and it'll stay tight.

Holy poo poo that's so genius. I mean gently caress the next guy doing the struts because it sure as poo poo wont be me. Said every flat rate tech ever.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Holy poo poo that's so genius. I mean gently caress the next guy doing the struts because it sure as poo poo wont be me. Said every flat rate tech ever.

Flat rate techs don't have time to say poo poo. Just gun it up tight and call it good.

Ask me how i know. :classiclol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mooseykins posted:

Flat rate techs don't have time to say poo poo. Just gun it up tight and call it good.

Ask me how i know. :classiclol:

Pretty much. Torque specs? What the gently caress are those? *BRAAAAAPPPP*
Nylock nut? Eh. *Torch to get the plastic melted and soft*

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My axle nuts are always to spec gently caress being responsible for that noise. Stick a screw driver in the disk on to the caliper and its super fast and easy. I broke the cotter pin in my tie rod while doing the ball joint, so i put two nuts on and welded that poo poo. Figure next time i take that poo poo apart ill need new tie rods anyway.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 26, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SouthsideSaint posted:

STNG Engineering. Screw the next guy. I hate being the next guy. :cry:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

STNG Engineering. Screw the next guy. I hate being the next guy. :cry:

Don't worry im often the next guy down the line as well. Or we get people who say there *Insert family here* just put in a new suspension part why is it still clunking. then try to explain to them they fixed the wrong part.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BlackMK4 posted:

Pretty much. Torque specs? What the gently caress are those? *BRAAAAAPPPP*

I find it funny how DIYers/armchair mechs think that if something isn't torqued to spec it'll just fall off if it even sees a bump in the road. Same like this with the locking nut discussion.

There are a lot of major/suspension components that aren't hold on with locking nuts, and even more that were just gunned on tight by a mech.

Preoptopus posted:

My axle nuts are always to spec gently caress being responsible for that noise. Stick a screw driver in the disk on to the caliper and its super fast and easy.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Edivently impact guns are the fastest!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

I find it funny how DIYers/armchair mechs think that if something isn't torqued to spec it'll just fall off if it even sees a bump in the road. Same like this with the locking nut discussion.

There are a lot of major/suspension components that aren't hold on with locking nuts, and even more that were just gunned on tight by a mech.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Edivently impact guns are the fastest!

My only problem with BRAPtorqueing an axle nut is I have often just put in an new bearing and want to torque it down because I feel bad brapping that new bearing to death. But everything else gently caress THAT ive got a long handle ratchet and my 190lbs of fat is a good torque spec for most things.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

My only problem with BRAPtorqueing an axle nut is I have often just put in an new bearing and want to torque it down because I feel bad brapping that new bearing to death. But everything else gently caress THAT ive got a long handle ratchet and my 190lbs of fat is a good torque spec for most things.

Yeah, there's a time and a place for it for sure. Also, bearing races are so hard they can usually take a shitload of torque, and many are now hub/bearing units with flared-over hubs where the hub nut only holds the driveshaft in, and doesn't take much load.

People (who don't fix cars for a living) worry about this stuff too much. A lot of the time unless you have a factory service manual you won't be able to find the torque spec for everything anyway. Do it up tight and call it good.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. Difference is, those aren't taken apart and put back together by idiots in a back alley somewhere.

Have you MET sailors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, there's a time and a place for it for sure. Also, bearing races are so hard they can usually take a shitload of torque, and many are now hub/bearing units with flared-over hubs where the hub nut only holds the driveshaft in, and doesn't take much load.

People (who don't fix cars for a living) worry about this stuff too much. A lot of the time unless you have a factory service manual you won't be able to find the torque spec for everything anyway. Do it up tight and call it good.

Yeah but in a day and age with smart phones where it literally takes google Minutes to find the spec theres no reason not to. I mean yeah once upon a time but with how most people have a smart phone with internet, theres no reason for it.

• Locked thread