Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mat_Drinks posted:

I come now before you AI, prostrate, and ask, how many times do I need to watch Fury Road to be free of this guilty conscience? What penance should I pay?

I have not now, nor shall ever, feel one single shred of guilt or doubt for any of my automotive styling decisions made at other periods of time in my life because I may not have ever truly had the car that I wanted, but I always had the car that I deserved. And it turned me into the man I am today. SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE, SOLDIER

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I have not now, nor shall ever, feel one single shred of guilt or doubt for any of my automotive styling decisions made at other periods of time in my life because I may not have ever truly had the car that I wanted, but I always had the car that I deserved. And it turned me into the man I am today. SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE, SOLDIER

This is still possibly my favorite thing to ever come out of these forums. :allears:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh my god the lens flare on the blinker, hahaha

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
First vehicle that I bought new for myself was a 1997 Ford F-150. I worked on it myself (same with previous cars) and about 3-4 years into ownership one of the headlights went out. Great, I bought some new bulbs and spent almost 1-1.5 hours bitching about how hard it was to change the bulbs and what a stupid design it was. At some point I actually got out the owners manual (yea why would I check it first?) and realized there is a little lift tab that frees up the headlight assembly so you can very easily replace the bulbs without messing with the alignment screws or the stuff behind the lights. Oh Sunofabitch!

Well I kept that truck 14 years and it was easily the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, other than an alternator it never broke down on me or left me stranded once and I wheeled that thing into some really bad areas off road.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EKDS5k posted:

The time after that I didn't double check that the filter seal came off with the filter, double-sealed the new one, and blew all my new oil out on the way to returning the old oil. Made it to the Canadian Tire parking lot, though.

This reminds me, my friend used to be a network admin for a large dealer network here and he was having me do some part-time stuff with him one sunday. After we did our work, we pulled my (now) wife's car into the service bay to change the oil using the lift. I must have torn the oil filter gasket installing it because it absolutely puked all the oil out onto the floor, which we had to spent the next hour cleaning up, then driving to walmart to get more oil and another filter :negative:

I can't really blame myself too much, I think it was just a fluke. Still dumb, though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am over 40 years old and have owned cars since I was 16 and been around cars for quite a bit longer than that.

That said, I literally just realized a week or so ago that the little strap that holds the gas cap on has a little bend in the plastic on some cars
(such as this)

is actually meant to be a hanger to do this

I was all :aaaaa: when I realized it.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that didn't know this.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
News to me, but I don't ever recall seeing a strap with a little squiggle in it nor a clip like that on the door. My wife's CX-5 has the little "holster" on the door that the cap can rest in, though. Blew her mind when I showed her.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I owned e36s for 4 years before I noticed they have a holster for the gascap. Then after that I noticed my E46 does too, and it's even color coded.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

I once tried to repair a BMW sunroof.

e46? mine crunches

my worst confession is that I'm absolutely the worst at washing my cars on a regular basis.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
- used brass compression fittings on the brake system on my first XJ when a line rotted out.
- used them to splice a junkyarded section of hardline in because I had no idea I could buy them new, or on a roll and form my own.
- when it popped out as they are wont to do, I redid it, but single flared all the lines because I had no idea a double flare even existed. That one never bit me, I learned the right way and redid it before it failed.
- spent an hour trying to loosen the lug nuts on the 5 ton when half of them are left hand thread. Fortunately they are big rear end lugs so even putting a four foot pipe on the breaker bar and hanging from it didn't break them off. They popped right off when turned the proper direction.
- didn't notice the horrible structural rust or completely rotten radiator in my first XJ when I did the prepurchase inspection. Paid full price for it, which was about $2000 too much (out of $2400.)
- tried to drift a corner in it without having any idea what I was doing, which led to a brake line popping (see above) and me target fixating right into a goddamn guardrail. Fortunately, this resulted in me buying tools and junkyard parts and learning to fix my own shitbox instead of paying a shop to fix it. I am a better driver now, too.
- drove off with my digital caliper on the roof. The battery lid is still missing.
- if I could get a Prius in AWD/4WD for a reasonable price I'd strongly consider it.
- I used a used throwout bearing with the first manual transmission I swapped into my MJ. It failed horribly several hundred miles later and sounded like a TIE fighter, but still worked fine. This did however train me to use the clutch as little as humanly possible.
- drove the same MJ to Pennsylvania and back with what I thought was a really mean rod knock, after wasting an entire evening throwing a whole spare drivetrain and all the tools to swap it in the bed. Friend heard it when I got there and noted that it was probably just the torque converter bolts being loose. It was. 15 minutes of easy wrenching later, it was quiet again.
- did an SYE on an early 90s ZJ NP231 transfer case to install in Sandbagger's YJ. Went to install it and discovered that guess what? Early 90s A500SE/42RE transmissions are special snowflakes and there was a weird pilot bushing in the back of the input gear on the transfer case that prevented it from seating correctly on any other transmission. Pulled transfer case back out, removed SYE, installed it on ANOTHER NP231, and installed that one.
- was driving along in my first XJ and it stuttered out and died. Fuel gauge was non-op. I was only 2 blocks from the parts store so I just walked there, thinking about what could have gone wrong. In my infinite wisdom I decided my alternator must have failed. Bought it, walked back with it. Just before starting to change the alternator I thought "what the hell, might as well dump the jerry can worth of gas into it and see if it works again." Guess what? It did. Parts counter guy didn't let me forget that one for a while. :downs:
- learned the hard way that a 1996 XJ fuel sender will rot out, and they are unobtainium. Also learned that a 1997, while very similar in other ways, has a different sender resistance curve, leading to the previous adventure. It was my only car, so it stayed in because it ran and drove that way.
- when I discovered the horrible structural rust in my first XJ, I cut out all the rotten floors and fixed a lot of it, using an angle grinder a lot in the process. After finishing I decided to clean all the welding/grinding dust off the interior. Did you know sparks from an angle grinder cutoff/grinding wheel will melt into glass? I didn't, not until I left tiny tufts of paper towel EVERYWHERE on every single glass surface because of the little globs of molten metal now protruding from the inside surfaces of every window.

EightBit posted:

I've never used a torque wrench to put my lugnuts on, I just get them good'n'tight with a tire iron. I've never had a wheel come off or sheared a lug.

Neither have I, gently caress that. Torque wrenches are for unit bearing axle nuts, bearing caps, ring gear bolts, pinion nuts, and head bolts. Basically, anything that affects bearing preload.

Enourmo posted:

One of the salesmen at my last job told of a tech who did this to a customer's car, but didn't catch it; redouble-filled the engine oil and gave it back to the customer. I guess there was just enough residual fluid in the converter to drive it away, either that or it was a manual; either way the thing died with the quickness and the tech got sacked for his fuckup.

I saved one of my coworkers from this fate back in high school, working at a quicklube. Almost brand new BMW X5 came in for its first oil change (as in, it had factory oil in it) and it was the first we'd ever seen. He found what he thought was the drain plug... it was. For the front diff. Oil looked weird coming out, kinda thick. I changed the filter (topside) and filled it back up, had the customer run it to bring the pressure up and check level, level was WAY high. Customer service rep tried to get me to wipe the extra off (our policy was to show the oil level and quality on the dipstick to the customer before they left, I doubt any of them cared) and get the car out since it was ruining our metrics for the day, due to how long it took us to find the drain plug. I refused and dug in further, figured out what happened and we fixed it instead of blowing an engine and front diff in a BMW with like 2000 miles on it.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

leica posted:

Ouch.

I once bought a Miata in the dark without a flashlight (forgot it), the interior was perfect so I just glazed over the rest of the car, drove good, ran good and they said it was a Florida car so no worries, right? Took it home and the next morning went to wash it, discovering the horrible rocker rust and later finding out it was a loving car from Ohio. I was so pissed at myself for stupidly failing to notice a deal breaker issue, I would have never even considered buying the car for even half of what I paid for it.

Jesus no wonder I couldn't find any loving used cars in Pittsburgh. Everyone just goes out and buys new cars all the time, they don't even bother tinkering with their used ones. I swear to God the used car market here is very tight, cars that are still OK to drive in certain climates are nowhere to be found here.

That's the lovely part about buying a car where I live now, I don't have a garage, and with all the humidity, road salt and poo poo, I'm sure I will be accelerating rust. Just praying I get no serious frame rust corrosion.

Speaking of which, my confession is buying a loving Toyota Tacoma 1997 in Colorado (where it spent most of its life) and using that to haul my poo poo to Pittsburgh, only then realizing Toyota "recalled" my model year and many others because they were sued over the frame being so vulnerable to frame rust corrosion it could snap it in two. Colorado wasn't one of the states eligible to take the truck into Toyota to do a frame test or give me money to get rid of it (because they use sand on the roads instead of salt)

Surprisingly, eventhough I think the conditions in Pburgh might cause rust issues, after leaving the truck outside all the time, driving through tons of road salt the past few years and doing no undercarriage washes, the frame doesn't have any significant rust nor much surface rust. But my rear axle has a lot of rust on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I used both a '76 MGB and a '82 honda accord as daily drivers.

• Locked thread