Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I've been self hosting my own cluster for a couple years for friends and family. If you are going to go down the route of self hosting I highly recommend using ark server manager to do it. It gives you a nice interface for configuring the server and managing plugins/updates. It certainly isn't required but it makes things a lot easier. Link below.

https://arkservermanager.freeforums.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Got to the point where we can clear the Valguero arena on Gamma without losing a single dino. What’s the jump in difficulty between Gamma and Beta? I wanna take a crack at it, but given that our rexes were badly mangled by Gamma (one of my superstars survived with less than 400 hp remaining), I don’t think we’re quite ready yet.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Got to the point where we can clear the Valguero arena on Gamma without losing a single dino. What’s the jump in difficulty between Gamma and Beta? I wanna take a crack at it, but given that our rexes were badly mangled by Gamma (one of my superstars survived with less than 400 hp remaining), I don’t think we’re quite ready yet.

What are your rex stats? Also, I now own a Tropeo named Shanday imported from the Crystal Isles. It was...an experience. One I'm not in any particular rush to experience again. She's a purdy girl though and is gonna grind me up some junk into metal and make me some bank while I prep her a jetpack. Kudos to Elena my argy who aided me on the trip and the ensuing chaos, mayhem, and weirdness and who slayed a dragon. Low level, but she still slayed a dragon like a boss making daddy proud.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

What are your rex stats? Also, I now own a Tropeo named Shanday imported from the Crystal Isles. It was...an experience. One I'm not in any particular rush to experience again. She's a purdy girl though and is gonna grind me up some junk into metal and make me some bank while I prep her a jetpack. Kudos to Elena my argy who aided me on the trip and the ensuing chaos, mayhem, and weirdness and who slayed a dragon. Low level, but she still slayed a dragon like a boss making daddy proud.

Also saddles. And how are you approaching the fight? I can regularly do no casualties if I can take out Dragon and Monkey separately, however the last attempt I made I lost 10 out of 17 rexes because the Monkey aggroed too early and was able to split my attention away from dragon.

Do not go far from the entrance until Dragon gets away from where the monkey is. Fighting both (or all 3 if the manticore wants to stay on the ground) at the same time is going to be painful.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My rexes are mostly between 10k and 11k hp (trending towards the higher end of that range) and between 300% and 400% damage (averaging around 360).

Also, I want a tropeo. What's the process like? What made it so nuts?

Warmachine posted:

Also saddles. And how are you approaching the fight? I can regularly do no casualties if I can take out Dragon and Monkey separately, however the last attempt I made I lost 10 out of 17 rexes because the Monkey aggroed too early and was able to split my attention away from dragon.

Do not go far from the entrance until Dragon gets away from where the monkey is. Fighting both (or all 3 if the manticore wants to stay on the ground) at the same time is going to be painful.

I don't have any blueprints so all of my saddles are primitive, but I do go in with everyone saddled. And yes, we take down the dragon and monkey separately. Manticore is usually just an annoyance; once we take out the first two, unless we lost a bunch of rexes, Manticore goes down pretty easily.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I should hopefully have the new OP up within the next day or two, real life stuff has gotten in the way unfortunately, sorry for the delay.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My rexes are mostly between 10k and 11k hp (trending towards the higher end of that range) and between 300% and 400% damage (averaging around 360).

I don't have any blueprints so all of my saddles are primitive, but I do go in with everyone saddled. And yes, we take down the dragon and monkey separately. Manticore is usually just an annoyance; once we take out the first two, unless we lost a bunch of rexes, Manticore goes down pretty easily.

Internet loss caused some shenanigans. The process stuff is easy. Just build a 3x4 stone foundation base with stone doorways 2 walls high except on three blocks that will be the entrance where the Tropeo goes in. Ceiling everything except one hole on the other side of the entrance section. Aggro the Tropeo and have it follow your argy in there and simply fly out the hole you made. While it's still aggro, turn around and use a stone bola and seal the entrance with the remaining 6 stone doorways and you're set. From there just bola and pound at it until it's hunger craters and then use chain bola to hold it down to feed it Exceptional Kibble and you're set. Bring several chain bolas as he might get lose before he hits 100% feeding.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't know how much help my numbers would be for you, tbh, since those numbers would be considered very low on the server I'm on. For my alpha team, I've been rocking rexes with 50k HP, and between 1k% and 1.5k% damage, with 165% or better saddles. On a normal attempt, they come out between 75% and 50% HP, unless something goes pear shaped like last time. Mind, I'm doing these solo so it's up to the awful AI to figure out how to get the rexes to actually encircle the bosses, etc.

Your rexes are bred and imprinted? The ones I'm using have been mutation stacked up to a base level of 492.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I’ve been breeding but I haven’t really gotten a handle on it yet. Is there a way to induce mutations? Or do you just hatch a ton of eggs until you get one with a bizarrely high HP or attack, then keep that one and toss the rest?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’ve been breeding but I haven’t really gotten a handle on it yet. Is there a way to induce mutations? Or do you just hatch a ton of eggs until you get one with a bizarrely high HP or attack, then keep that one and toss the rest?

Yeah, it's a numbers game unless you're running S+, which has a Tek-tier structure that will induce mutations. Each mutation increments the stat by 2 levels, but it doesn't explicity tell you what stat mutated. You have to know the stats of the mother and father and find which ones are different on the mutated creature. Compound the 55/45 nature of getting the high/low stat, and you'll quickly see why you need to breed a LOT to really get mutations up.

The cluster I'm on has S+, so I can make sure each round of breeding nets a mutation somewhere, but I can't be certain it will be on the stat I want, so I have to have a lot of females for every line to produce enough babies where I can reasonably expect one of them to 1) inherit the high stat and 2) mutate that same stat.

The bigger bit is getting better saddles and making sure all the rexes are bred and imprinted. The imprinting bonus is a huge boost even if you're not riding the rex. As is mate bonus, but you're running a spread of both genders anyway right?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, it's a numbers game unless you're running S+, which has a Tek-tier structure that will induce mutations. Each mutation increments the stat by 2 levels, but it doesn't explicity tell you what stat mutated. You have to know the stats of the mother and father and find which ones are different on the mutated creature. Compound the 55/45 nature of getting the high/low stat, and you'll quickly see why you need to breed a LOT to really get mutations up.

The cluster I'm on has S+, so I can make sure each round of breeding nets a mutation somewhere, but I can't be certain it will be on the stat I want, so I have to have a lot of females for every line to produce enough babies where I can reasonably expect one of them to 1) inherit the high stat and 2) mutate that same stat.

The bigger bit is getting better saddles and making sure all the rexes are bred and imprinted. The imprinting bonus is a huge boost even if you're not riding the rex. As is mate bonus, but you're running a spread of both genders anyway right?

What's the Tek Structure that induces mutations? As is it available on Super Structures which is the variant of S+ that I run?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

What's the Tek Structure that induces mutations? As is it available on Super Structures which is the variant of S+ that I run?

SS Mutator. It's available in both, requiring the Cloning Facility engram to unlock. Tonight's mutation pulses were a waste: none of the things I hatched got the mutations where I wanted them.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Warmachine posted:

SS Mutator. It's available in both, requiring the Cloning Facility engram to unlock. Tonight's mutation pulses were a waste: none of the things I hatched got the mutations where I wanted them.

I see. Tried my hand at taming a dunk. Sadly it did not pan out. Funny thing is, I want/need a dunk to tame a tuso, but seem to need a tuso to tame a dunk. I could always use my heavy weight turtle with 30k+ hp and a decent saddle and some veggie cakes, but even still it worries me.

I mostly need the Tuso to do the other underwater cave which beat my rear end last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
:siren::siren::siren:Behold! A new thread. Hope the OP isn't complete poo poo.:siren::siren::siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933961