Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
definitely don't play exalted as a new GM because it's a clusterfuck of a game. I love it to bits but it's a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

01011001 posted:

the mistake a lot of people make when gm'ing it is that they try to shoehorn all the poo poo like icons and OUTs in and then feel completely boxed in by all the clusterfuck that brings. theyre cool and im glad they exist but if they get in the way just do whatever with those (or use them as ways for pcs to know/do cool/relevant things) and sorts itself out

I came up with my own set of icons for the game's setting so those are working out pretty okay, and my players mostly phoned in their OUTs so those are so far negligible. That's nice, because I was worried those mechanics would take over.

I'm starting to play with the combat balance to make battles end faster. Players hit hard and so do enemies. Last session went better, because each battle was more of a furious skirmish than a war of attrition.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
legend of the five rings is pretty tight

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

I came up with my own set of icons for the game's setting so those are working out pretty okay, and my players mostly phoned in their OUTs so those are so far negligible. That's nice, because I was worried those mechanics would take over.

I'm starting to play with the combat balance to make battles end faster. Players hit hard and so do enemies. Last session went better, because each battle was more of a furious skirmish than a war of attrition.

sounds like youre on the right track. you need poo poo to end faster? most parties will demolish an equal-level encounter in like 2-3 turns without wacky aoe wizard/sorcerer poo poo, much less with that, but if your party is super bad at remembering their poo poo or whatever start using more spoilers/wreckers/minions and less blockers/large/huge stuff

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
M:tG is the premier wizard roleplaying experience.

fadam posted:

FATE sounds really cool and perfect for my group. 90% of the time when we played 4e it was never in a fantasy setting anyway, we just reskinned the rules to fit different genres so this sounds perfect. Does anyone have any tips for getting started? I just bought the FATE Core and Toolset thing.
RTFM and let your creativity run free~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

GreaseMonkey posted:

legend of the five rings is pretty tight

I read the novels when I was in high school

• Locked thread