Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superficial Flu
Jan 1, 2014
Hi all! To jump right in, my sister has decided she wants a dog. She's wanted one her whole life and now she feels its the right time, and I generally agree. However, she keeps finding these designer breeds that she insists are the most perfect dog for her. She's on some "sheepadoodle", Old English Sheepdog/Poodle mix. She says she's done the research and doesn't care about the fact that its not purebred, etc. but the breeder she picked is 800 miles away, she's not going there before she buys a puppy, and based on their website (http://www.sweetsheepadoodles.com/) they seem like a BYB to me.

However, I recently got a dog from a shelter, and my sister's main argument is that she's not worried about the money, and just wants a dog, and isn't it the same of her getting a dog of unknown lineage and temperament the same as my shelter dog. And she's sure that this kind of dog is right for her. I'm kind of worried that she works all day and this isn't really a type of dog you can just leave home in a crate for hours on end. And that the breeder says nothing about the parent dogs, or their health or anything.

I was hoping that the great minds of PI could help me out (you all were awesome when I was trying to figure out what to do about my dog). If I'm totally in the wrong, and she'll be fine, I'd be thrilled to hear it. But it seems like she's going about this all wrong, and she thinks I'm just being condescending when I talk to her. So if anyone has any advice or resources or anything, I'd be really grateful. Thank you all in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Sounds like she seems quite set on this and unless you can come up with some real ammo like "I went there and saw ____ for myself" she may not change her mind. Maybe ask her to go to the shelter and play with a few dogs. Sometimes love will spark. If she won't go to the shelter, at least ask her to check out the breeder in person before purchasing. You should go with her too. Make it a fun sisterly outing. You may be impressed and find that the breeder is clean and responsible. Or she may be horrified at the conditions. Or something in between.

I don't have much experience with breeders or telling good from bad but maybe others will weigh in with some more advise. In my opinion until you do more research on them there's not much way to tell how it will go.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I kind of hate OESes in general. I think it's 'cause my dog hates them, and it's rubbed off on me. That just seems like a lovely mix. Big. Harry. DROOLY. Smelly. DROOLY. Obnoxious. Bouncy. Energetic. Big. Gross. Hell, if that's what she really, really, really, really wants, I can't really bring myself to get up in arms when people opt to go for lovely breeders anymore. But the breeder looks lovely at a glance. The dogs are probably kinda lovely too.

There's zero information on the health and temperaments of the parents, which is absolutely what I want to see when I go looking at breeders. OESes are prone to hip dysplasia and eye issues, so I would want to see parents/grandparents/etc OFA (or PennHip) scores, and CERF results. I'd want to be pretty sure that the parents have stellar temperaments, since my own personal experience with OESes is lovely. Here's a great list of some of the health issues that are present in poodles. http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/all-about-poodles/health-concerns I really don't get the allure of mixing poodles with loving everything these days. Mostly it just results in a hyper dog with a coat that comes right out of a groomer's worst nightmares.

I like breeders. I like getting puppies from breeders, if that's what people want. I like to recommend that people make up a list (an actual, physical list) of things they absolutely want in a dog, things they'd like in a dog, and things they absolutely do not want in a dog. Think about energy, grooming, size, temperament, health, and all that fun stuff. Then start seeing how various breeds fit into that framework. Once you find a breed or type or whatever, begin to look for people who are breeding what you're looking for in a transparent manner. I like it when breeders are forthright about the strengths and weaknesses of the animals they produce. I want to see a breeder that is focused on health and temperament first and foremost.

I don't really have an issue with people buying mixes, but I do have an issue with people gravitating towards dogs simply for how cute the puppies are, and people breeding mediocre dogs for the pet market.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

a life less posted:

I really don't get the allure of mixing poodles with loving everything these days.

You can name the result a <dog>adoodle or <dog>oodle. That's pretty much it, imo.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Plus you can market the puppies as hypoallergenic and have (dumb) people believe it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Let her spend mad bux on the trash dog and lmao softly from afar when it's a neurotic and physical mess that sits in a crate all day while she whines about it on facebook

Because that is basically all you can do when friends and family are dead set on doing stupid things, in general.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Purebred poodles from good breeders are amazing and easy to train and solid family dogs, but if the doodle craze keeps lovely people away from the breed then let them keep paying more for a mutt than the cost of a nice poodle.

I don't loving get it either. You still have to have it groomed, but now you get a shittier coat along with the potential for health issues from both sides of the breed.

Also this

Superconsndar posted:

Let her spend mad bux on the trash dog and lmao softly from afar when it's a neurotic and physical mess that sits in a crate all day while she whines about it on facebook

Because that is basically all you can do when friends and family are dead set on doing stupid things, in general.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 31, 2015

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Tell her to click the testimonial page and see that those dogs actually aren't cute at all. They are ugly.

Then show her a cute dog from Petfinder.

Probably will work.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The guy who created the labradoodle hates it now as well

http://www.globalanimal.org/2010/12/02/man-who-created-labradoodles-regrets-the-cross-breed/

Look at this little cotton ball :3

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Sweet Sheepadoodles posted:

This is called hybrid vigor

lmao

why does she want to spend thousands on someone's lovely accident dogs

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

This dog has human eyes and it is loving me up. It straight up looks like Tim Allen in The Shaggy Dog.

Show this picture to your sister and ask if she can truly deal with those eyes staring at her all day, every day.

Diabolik007
Jun 1, 2015

Superficial Flu posted:

Hi all! To jump right in, my sister has decided she wants a dog. She's wanted one her whole life and now she feels its the right time, and I generally agree. However, she keeps finding these designer breeds that she insists are the most perfect dog for her. She's on some "sheepadoodle", Old English Sheepdog/Poodle mix. She says she's done the research and doesn't care about the fact that its not purebred, etc. but the breeder she picked is 800 miles away, she's not going there before she buys a puppy, and based on their website (http://www.sweetsheepadoodles.com/) they seem like a BYB to me.

However, I recently got a dog from a shelter, and my sister's main argument is that she's not worried about the money, and just wants a dog, and isn't it the same of her getting a dog of unknown lineage and temperament the same as my shelter dog. And she's sure that this kind of dog is right for her. I'm kind of worried that she works all day and this isn't really a type of dog you can just leave home in a crate for hours on end. And that the breeder says nothing about the parent dogs, or their health or anything.

I was hoping that the great minds of PI could help me out (you all were awesome when I was trying to figure out what to do about my dog). If I'm totally in the wrong, and she'll be fine, I'd be thrilled to hear it. But it seems like she's going about this all wrong, and she thinks I'm just being condescending when I talk to her. So if anyone has any advice or resources or anything, I'd be really grateful. Thank you all in advance!

having a dog is a great responsibility, especially when they are poppy , they need love, attention, play time, hes just having a baby, cant walk away need to stay committed
i have a small dog hes name ( Lui ) like Luigi :) great guy love to spend time with me, when i go to work i live him in a big room with allot of toys so he can stay busy.

:)

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Superconsndar posted:

Quoted for truth, this is just like when I told my cousin not to get a chinchilla for her two small boys just because her mother who lives down the street is allergic to dogs and cats. A few years later, I ended up with a (slightly neurotic) chinchilla that despises children but loves adults, and more importantly, the chance to perform my "I told you so" dance in front of the whole family. Now she has an eclectus parrot and a stern warning that I will not rescue this one. Sometimes, you know the train's gonna wreck but you can't do anything but watch and maybe hope for a cool explosion.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is she getting it because it's allegedly hypoallergenic? 'Cause it's not.

EDIT: That article above actually mentions it.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

She might as well get a poodle.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

This dog has human eyes and it is loving me up. It straight up looks like Tim Allen in The Shaggy Dog.

Show this picture to your sister and ask if she can truly deal with those eyes staring at her all day, every day.

I'm dying, I kind of want this dog. Wow.

Not sure how to convince your sister though, like any other conflict it requires you to understand what she wants, and why, then if you have legitimate points express them clearly without getting her defensive but that's just human interaction #101

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

They just look like portie knock-offs.

The About Sheepadoodles page is so generic it doesn't mean anything and could apply to most dogs in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superficial Flu
Jan 1, 2014
Thanks for all the responses! Sorry, my sister came to visit me and she didn't know I posted the thread so I thought reading it would kinda tip her off and start a fight...

Buggiezor posted:

Sounds like she seems quite set on this and unless you can come up with some real ammo like "I went there and saw ____ for myself" she may not change her mind. Maybe ask her to go to the shelter and play with a few dogs. Sometimes love will spark. If she won't go to the shelter, at least ask her to check out the breeder in person before purchasing. You should go with her too. Make it a fun sisterly outing. You may be impressed and find that the breeder is clean and responsible. Or she may be horrified at the conditions. Or something in between.

I've tried this. When she came to visit, I suggested we check out the shelter I got my dog from, since it's pretty rad, but she came up with a million and one reasons not to and kind of convinced herself out of it. Part of the problem is that she's got this weird idea that since my dog is from a shelter, I think everyone should get their dogs from shelters and she won't listen to anything I say on the matter. I love her, but she's stubborn as hell.

As for the breeder, its like 500 miles away from where she lives. Apparently no one closer breeds sheepadoodles, which I said was BS but whatever. But she doesn't want to take the time to go out there and see, which I told her was a mistake just in general, regardless of what kind of puppy she's getting. Apparently her friend got a dog without going to see the breeder ahead of time, and the dog is great, so that's reason enough for her not to go.

Superconsndar posted:

My boyfriend has the same attitude you do on this. It's helpful when literally everyone in my family calls me to complain to me about her ever-changing dog decisions.

Pladdicus posted:

I'm dying, I kind of want this dog. Wow.

Not sure how to convince your sister though, like any other conflict it requires you to understand what she wants, and why, then if you have legitimate points express them clearly without getting her defensive but that's just human interaction #101

Yeah, this hasn't gone so well. For many E/N reasons, but also because she's convinced that her "research" on puppies from ages 8-15 is legitimate research and that she therefore knows more about dog-ownership than people with dogs, not just me, so she gets defensive a lot.

I think I've managed to get her off of the sheepadoodle, at least. The puppies are cute. A lot of the breeders describe them as "living teddy bears" which, okay, but not helpful for a breeder.

Thanks to all of you guys--if anything, it gives me peace of mind that I'm not just talking out of my rear end and disagreeing for no reason. The part about the breeder not mentioning any health or temperament information kinda raised a red flag for me, so I'm glad to know some of you agree with that as well. She's on some other breed now, also designer, but at least the breeder seems more legit and it seems less energetic, which is good since she and her boyfriend work a lot. However, she's changed her mind now 3 times, so chances are she's changing again, and a lot of this will be helpful then.

• Locked thread