Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I'll be touring eastern France in a week or so. I'd like to visit a couple of the Maginot line fortifications, but I'm finding it pretty hard to find clear details of what a "visit" to the places means. Some of the forts are open at limited times, and I've found that information, but what I can't clearly discern from anything I've found on-line or in books is whether the exterior areas around the forts are generally open or not. (I realize that some areas like that are closed to prevent people from getting blown up by old munitions, but that's exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to find out.)

I'm specifically interested in the forts around Thionville and Metz, like Galgenberg, Guentrange, Hackenberg, etc. I'll have a car so getting there isn't a problem.

If nobody knows, I'll come back and update this with whatever I've found out. Like lots of tourist information websites in France, the web properties for most of these places look like they were last touched in 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

emfive posted:

I'll be touring eastern France in a week or so. I'd like to visit a couple of the Maginot line fortifications, but I'm finding it pretty hard to find clear details of what a "visit" to the places means. Some of the forts are open at limited times, and I've found that information, but what I can't clearly discern from anything I've found on-line or in books is whether the exterior areas around the forts are generally open or not. (I realize that some areas like that are closed to prevent people from getting blown up by old munitions, but that's exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to find out.)

I'm specifically interested in the forts around Thionville and Metz, like Galgenberg, Guentrange, Hackenberg, etc. I'll have a car so getting there isn't a problem.

If nobody knows, I'll come back and update this with whatever I've found out. Like lots of tourist information websites in France, the web properties for most of these places look like they were last touched in 1996.

How's your French? I found some things about each of these without too much trouble, and at least Hackenberg has an English portal ( http://maginot-hackenberg.com/?page=home&lang=en ). I actually couldn't find that exact same website by searching in English (Hackenberg Maginot Line Visit), but it turned up as one of the top hits on something like "visites guidées de la ligne maginot près de Metz". Galgenberg also has a lovely but up-to-date-with-2015-times website ( http://www.moselle-tourisme.com/programmes/ligne-maginot/ficheproduit/F846140070_site-fortifie-du-bois-de-cattenom-galgenberg-cattenom.html ) that nominally looks like it should have info in English but clicking the flag does nothing. Gugetrange also has a maintained website ( http://fort.guentrange.free.fr ) even though it's comically bad and looks like it belongs on Geocities, and while there's an English version of their site, it has half of the information the French version has, which is pretty typical.

FYI it looks like almost all of these places -- if not all of them -- only do guided tours and I bet they only do them in French unless you get a whole tour group together for English.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 3, 2015

• Locked thread