Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I simply typed in 'vpn with best privacy', and was given this link here. Although that particular link seems to cater more towards torrenting, it gives a fairly detailed breakdown of what is protected and what isn't protected by the VPN provider. I didn't know that there were *that* many competitors for a VPN service out there and in doing more research I'm more confused.

Anyway, my main concern with the VPN is speed, I think I have a decent connection (~130Mbps), but the current VPN I'm using now gives me an average of 2.5Mbps; which is basically un- useable for anything. I know that there is going to be a drop off in terms of speed, but it's not even 1/4th of my current potential. Any suggestions or ideas? Is there a way I can "test" out the VPN to see if the speed is acceptable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I've heard good things about Mullvad. You can also try it out for a few hours to see how it works for you, which is really nice.

https://mullvad.net/en/

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah
Is there any reason you haven't considered setting up your own VPN? DigitalOcean is pretty cheap, and AWS has a free tier.

Crazy Paul
Oct 13, 2004
I've done well with airvpn and so have a few other people I know:

https://airvpn.org/?referred_by=107586 (obvious referral link)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

If you're entirely Apple based, Cloak VPN is pretty decent. Not sure about the speeds they can deliver for high-bandwidth stuff though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bus stop posted:

Is there any reason you haven't considered setting up your own VPN? DigitalOcean is pretty cheap, and AWS has a free tier.

Doesn't this entirely defeat the point of having a VPN because your information will be directly on record for the IP that you're doing shady stuff on?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Doesn't this entirely defeat the point of having a VPN because your information will be directly on record for the IP that you're doing shady stuff on?

If you're not doing "shady stuff" running your own simple VPN is handly if you use public connections and access points a lot, since it prevents other people on the same public networks from sniffing your traffic.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you're not doing "shady stuff" running your own simple VPN is handly if you use public connections and access points a lot, since it prevents other people on the same public networks from sniffing your traffic.

I didn't even think of this because I just tether for internet access when I'm remote. Good point.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Not to mention lots of public endpoints only support web and mail traffic, and if you need to do anything remotely technical like SSH or RDP to a remote server, you need to tunnel it over an SSL VPN (or something that looks like one).

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
privateinternetaccess.com works okay for me. Still get my max upload and download speeds, so doesn't affect my internet speeds, and its cheap as hell

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Seconding Private Internet Access. They have been perfect for me. Their Windows client is pretty nice and setting up an openvpn client is also rather painless.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Thirding. I got private internet access as well. Their speeds are pretty good-- depending on the time of day, I typically get 100Mbps (on a 200Mbps line), and never anything abysmal-- and their price was much better than other VPNs as of last year when I was shopping around. I've also been very happy with their customer support and technical support.

I only got it as an expat needing to access my geoblocked bank (and I don't trust Hola), but I just leave it on all the time now, especially since google and youtube and a bunch of other places will give me everything in Japanese if it thinks I'm coming from Japan.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

I've tried quite a few of the major providers with varying degrees of success. Despite the popularity, PIA didn't deliver for me. I had constant issues with speed.

I've had good experience with AirVPN, as someone has already suggested. Most recently I've tried out IPVanish, and have found them to be excellent as well.

Proxy.sh was terrible. Speed was poo poo, customer service was even worse.

I tried BolehVPN for a while too. They were ok. Speed was fairly variable, sometimes a bit unreliable but the customer service was great.

My recommendation would be AirVPN or IPVanish.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Private Internet Access is blocked by Hulu and ABC iView, just FYI.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Wisdom Suppository posted:

Despite the popularity, PIA didn't deliver for me. I had constant issues with speed.

Likewise. I'm on cable, but it shouldn't make a difference.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PIA has been alright for me. I do occasionally run into some speed issues during Netflix primetime, usually switching servers helps. They have a new iPhone/Android app that works pretty well too. For the price I still think it's the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I personally use Witopia. It is very cheap and I'd recommend it on price alone. They have good 24/7 online chat support. The Windows and Mac versions can use a GUI for picking gateways or where the internet thinks you live, support multiple protocols, and are easy to understand. The website has tutorials on setting it up.

I have had issues with it in the past. Going to the chat has fixed these issues 100% of the time.

• Locked thread