Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Not even close.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

like the pacific was good but band of bros is the better one

the battle scenes in the pacific were dope as gently caress tho

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

like the pacific was good but band of bros is the better one

the battle scenes in the pacific were dope as gently caress tho

BoB episode with the medic was just loving unreal

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm just going to say it. The Pacific is better than Band of Brothers.

Um there's that whole episode that took place in Melbourne with the girl that was completely fabricated so no, your opinion is wrong

Also there's the fact that in a strictly narrative sense BoB follows the same core group of dudes throughout a single campaign, while The Pacific follows like 4 different guys across a bunch of different units fighting on several different islands across multiple campaigns.

That's not necessarily a slam on The Pacific, because the nature of the war in the PTO would've rendered a BoB-type story difficult...just that BoB is much better from a narrative perspective.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

they showed that to us during basic

and again during medic school

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

they showed that to us during basic

and again during medic school

That episode has stuck with me forever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got to spend a weekend with the "other" medic from Easy. Ed something. Was almost ten years ago now. Really nice guy. We shared a bunk room and he told me stories until I fell asleep.
It was magical.
A medic from the 82nd was at the same event. He earned a DSC for falling through a basement on top of a group of Germans and captured them all by forcing them face down on the ground with a pair of scissors. After they all got down he scooped up a dropped sub machine gun and marched them to the rear.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Also don't forget The Breaking Point which is just as good, not the least of which is because it contains the church scene as well as Speirs running through the village and then coming back.

Also more seriously, the whole artillery sequence with Wild Bill and Joe Toye as well as Buck Compton's PTSD.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm just going to say it. The Pacific is better than Band of Brothers.

im willing to back you on this

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
is this the sword you two chucklefucks are willing to fall on

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

don't forget the pacific gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu51rszgotI

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

lol at anyone that legitimately thinks the Pacific is better than Band of Brothers

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

iyaayas01 posted:

Um there's that whole episode that took place in Melbourne with the girl that was completely fabricated so no, your opinion is wrong

Also there's the fact that in a strictly narrative sense BoB follows the same core group of dudes throughout a single campaign, while The Pacific follows like 4 different guys across a bunch of different units fighting on several different islands across multiple campaigns.

That's not necessarily a slam on The Pacific, because the nature of the war in the PTO would've rendered a BoB-type story difficult...just that BoB is much better from a narrative perspective.

I'll admit the Melbourne episode was pretty lovely. BoB doesn't have an episode as bad as that. I think The Pacific gets a bad wrap in part because of the narrative thing you talked about and partly because it's pretty loving depressing at times between guys getting beaten to death by other Marines because the won't stop flipping out or getting shot because they got out of their foxhole at night. The Okinawa episode in particular is pretty traumatizing. Sledge and Snafu loving own, though.

"They can't surrender?"
Sledge: "I hope they don't. I hope we get to kill every last one 'em". :clint:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

All the Sledge/Snafu episodes are good as gently caress, and that's about it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVioO66g3Us

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Not gonna lie, Snafu and Gunny were pretty much the best thing about The Pacific.

Band of Brothers was a better overall series though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://popularmilitary.com/vietnam-veteran-humiliated-and-assaulted-by-active-duty-marines/

salt dog Vietnam vet gets accused by a bunch of boots

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the big short is really good guys

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the big short is really good guys

but is it better than band of brothers?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

its really goddamn good

steve carell is crazy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Who's on GiP's bucket list this year? I'm calling Abe Vigoda like usual, gotta be right one of these years. Maybe Bob Barker and Betty White to make a trifecta.

Mark Hamill, falling off a cliff on Skellig Michael.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

God drat Princess Bride is a great movie that will never age

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I've never seen it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Two Finger posted:

I've never seen it

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I've never seen it

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

holocaust bloopers posted:

the one at the battle of the bulge i think it was where the medic is just running around fixing people in the middle of artillery?

yeah that poo poo ruled.

i also liked the scene where they relieved that captain who froze up and his replacement runs through machine gun fire and then runs back. that's the scene that sticks with me the most, but the battle of the bulge episode was without a doubt the best episode.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone managed to steal my netflix account info. Good stuff. Now I gotta go and remember where else I used that email/password combo while all hopped up on Nyquil

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Larry Parrish posted:

Someone managed to steal my netflix account info. Good stuff. Now I gotta go and remember where else I used that email/password combo while all hopped up on Nyquil

I got an email the other day where someone tried resetting my Netflix password

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It is a must for dads with kids.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its really goddamn good

steve carell is crazy

He's hard to watch in Foxcatcher, but mostly because he loving nails the creepy weirdo role.

Edit: Holy poo poo, you guys need to watch Princess Bride. It's a legit good movie. I don't think I saw it until I was in college because I thought it was for little kids based on the name. It's no more limited to kids than Pixar stuff.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

It is a must for dads with kids.

Yeah have some of the kids (family not my kids) this weekend and dusted it off. Luckily I haven't seen it in a while and was cracking up the whole time. It's brilliant writing yet still had enough adult content (pre Pixar style adult humor) inconceivable

Also I noticed Andre says something like "never trust anyone in a mask," and I have to assume it's a wrestling joke

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Princess Bride is good.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Also I noticed Andre says something like "never trust anyone in a mask," and I have to assume it's a wrestling joke

thats actually just good life advice in general

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Good life advice is staying away from chicks with neon colored hair

-edit how the gently caress do you make it to adulthood without seeing The Princess Bride?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 2, 2016

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Good life advice is staying away from chicks with neon colored hair

-edit how the gently caress do you make it to adulthood without seeing The Princess Bride?

It's...

inconceivable.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I got a 6S. The thumb print thing is pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
New year, new thread!

• Locked thread