Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

New Leaf posted:

This is basically an alpha/proof of concept game at this point. I'm sure it will be integrated eventually.

drat well better. :colbert:

In another thread someone suggested the reason whoever owns the IP for Warhammer hasn't made a game similar to the physical version is they were worried people would stop buying their overpriced little armies, which makes sense. I wonder if LEGO is worried about something similar?

You could even make the comparison between this and that other game they're making, Dimensions, which is similar to that Skylanders game. You have to buy the physical figure to get a virtual version in the game to play with. Compare that kind of investment to LEGO Worlds, where you just find it in the wild and you're good to go. I wonder if LEGO is concerned about that, will we be seeing micro-transactions in Worlds? :shrug:

HJE-Cobra posted:

It'd be nice if you could build your own vehicles though

It would, and I really hope that they do. It's unfortunate though that the foundation for vehicles is purely 'choose vehicle and have it magically appear' rather than building *anything* manually. So it would seem that to make a vehicle yourself with parts of your choosing would require a lot more work than they intended, programming wise.

But who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

Smoremaster posted:

Got this game, I like the engine and whatever, but I felt like I explored everything there was to see after less than an hour. Definitely needs way more content.

Yeah I stopped playing after my initial 45 minutes or so. I'm just glad to have supported the dev and LEGO, so hopefully they get confident enough to really make this a great game.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My son adores this game, I can't wait until they add new stuff just to see the delight on his face
Purchase well and truly justified many times over here :)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Picked this up so I have something to play with my nephew when I visit this summer. Have to echo the observation that there isn't a whole lot of content here yet.

The game definitely has potential, but I'd recommend waiting for now. Check back a couple of months down the line.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Wake up, everyone, looks like the game got a big update. Let me know how substantial it is, so I know whether to buy it or not, please~ :3:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The manliest game!

Look at that chest hair. Straight off a minotaur killed with my bare hands.

gently caress nature.

Ride the gently caress out of that puppy.

Wrong puppy!

The local women will throw you a bone

It's the uniform that does it.

:911:

You also climb poo poo...

...meet interesting people...

...and search for the missing pants.

I call him Fluffy.

The manliest game.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Don't know if anyone caught the steam news update for LEGO Worlds, but here it is.

quote:

We’ve been a little quiet lately, and since it’s the end of the month we thought we’d give you a run-down of what we’re currently working on. Please note that a lot of what we’re sharing here isn’t necessarily planned for the next update – we’ll go into more details of that separately – and it’s not even a full list of everything we’re working on, just a few examples.

So, let’s take a look…

Underwater stuff

Well, many of you noticed there’s a lot of water, and we figured it was time to make it explorable since it was already there right in front of everyone, and especially because there are already a few characters that can walk along the sea bed – you found them all, right?

So the initial focus is on solving the technical and visual problems caused by allowing the camera to follow underwater instead of colliding with it – we’re also having to adapt many of the build tools and underlying systems to cope with the presence of water volumes.
Meanwhile, there will be a logical gameplay treatment – when you dive down you get blue hearts and limited time to explore, while underwater vehicles will have no such problems!

We’ve got some fun plans for underwater life, but that’ll develop once the core exploration is ready.

Discovery stuff

There has been some debate on the forums about whether the game should have a survival mode, or RPG elements, or quests and so on. We’ve stayed relatively quiet about this, but have spent plenty of time discussing it internally. At this time we’re not making any plans to have separate gameplay modes – we feel strongly that the identity of the game would suffer. And in a way, there is a natural separation between the exploration and discovery aspect, and the creative tools. Note that we will continually strive to improve both these components, and the transitions between them!

However, it’s still a videogame – players should feel like they have things to do that make sense, especially if they don’t particularly like building, but the game should not become arbitrarily difficult or grindy either! All of which is a difficult balance. So we do aim to draw inspiration from modes and mechanics we’ve seen elsewhere, just not in a packaged story or survival mode.

We’ll reveal more as we get closer to the next update. Like yourselves, we’ve got more ideas than we can possibly ever implement, but we feel this is important so of course when the initial treatment is ready we’ll be reaching out for your thoughts and opinions.

Navigation Stuff

We know that many players are reluctant to explore too far for fear of losing their sense of direction and not being able to find their way back, especially if they’ve built something awesome. This can be especially bad if you need to run at low settings.

So we’ve been working on showing waypoints in the world, so you can always see where you came from, and a map to allow you to place your own. We’ll explain how it all works as we get ready for the next update.

Ability Stuff

You may have seen that some characters have special abilities – if you hadn’t noticed already, there’s a transform for one character, and others can whistle to summon a particular creature. Well, there’s another ability coming that should be hitting the next update, with more to follow over time as we keep making all the existing content better.

Game Camera Stuff

As always, the camera is constantly under review, particularly tracking setup. Chris P actually wrote a really in-depth analysis of his work so far here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/332310/discussions/0/535150948600674729/

Additionally, we have been looking at adding more modes and options, as well as tuning up the way the camera interacts with the landscape.

Camera Item Stuff

At last, more of those items in your inventory will have a purpose – it’s all part of our current push to make sure everything in the game has a function before we start throwing even more stuff in!

GUI Stuff

Along with the addition of a map, we’ve been tiding up the GUI a little. Right now this is intended to improve usability in fairly simple ways, by reducing visual noise, while everything works the same way, but it is also the first step towards a bigger overhaul that we need a little more time for.

Brick Stuff

We are exploring the technical feasibility of adding additional bricks into the Brick Building tool. Some of you have correctly surmised that the reason the set of bricks we’re offering at the moment is only a subset of everything is that they are all compatible with our optimised landscape mesh. Additional bricks need to be rendered in a different way and many have additional complexity with collision and connections.

Hopefully we’ll be able to post a proper technical discussion about this, but we do aim to package up a lot of improvements to brick building in a future update, including the ability to place fixtures and fittings.

We also have a couple of new ways to place bricks within the existing build tool.

Animation & Audio Stuff

As well as any new content, existing models continue to gain more character with their own animations and audio – please look out for them, as the game is all about those characters! Sometimes it seems like this stuff “just gets done” but it takes real talent and effort so we hope you like it!

Visual Stuff

Many visual improvements are currently being worked on by the Render team. This includes a new Skybox that will alter the lighting and fog in-game. It looks stunning already, but it’s not quite ready to show you just yet.

Town Stuff

Also tying in to making exploration and discovery better, we are working on a procedural system for generating towns & settlements. We may be able to share some screenshots soon, but we’ll talk more about this feature when the towns come alive with characters, creatures and vehicles.

Multiplayer Stuff

Work on multiplayer is ongoing! We’ve explained it in individual threads, but it’s worth us offering up another explanation as to why it’s not something we can just throw out there.
Our engine was initially designed to be used as a single machine, local co-op experience. That means all of the old mechanics we designed were never programmed with networking in mind, which means that when we made our first efforts to do so, there was a lot of issues with it. As we’re now able to start the work on something incredibly new, we’ve begun the process of ensuring that all the new mechanics in Worlds are designed and coded with networking in mind. There’s a lot of testing required here before we can roll anything out to the community, but it is something we’re taking seriously and actively working on because it’s part of the core appeal – building together!

We’re also factoring in local co-op with split screen here – obviously there are performance implications, but this is something we’ve always offered in our games and we think it’s still an essential part of family gaming.

So with apologies we can’t offer any new information about an ETA on multiplayer, but when we know, you’ll know, you know?

Update 2 information will be with you next week.

Multiplayer! :woop:

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
so psyched for multiplayer.

i just put another couple hours into lego worlds today and forgot how fun it is. i really, REALLY wish they'd update the subs so that you could go diving, though.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Lego Worlds is on the Steam weekend sale for $10. Worth getting it at this point?

e: Just read that part about local co-op, I'm sold

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Manky posted:

Lego Worlds is on the Steam weekend sale for $10. Worth getting it at this point?

e: Just read that part about local co-op, I'm sold

I'd say yes, not so much for what it is now, but what a lot of us hope it will be.

• Locked thread