Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Though living with a diabetic (diabetes 1, where the body doesn't make any insulin at all), not carrying a glucose meter and ideally some emergency sugar when planning to spend a while out in public sounds ... strange towards irresponsible.

It's unfortunately fairly common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

revmoo posted:

Wayyyy off topic but isn't that hypoglycemia not diabetes? I thought diabetes was when you had too much blood sugar.
To further touch on this, you can be hypoglycemic without being diabetic, but being hyperglycemic is indicative of diabetes. Hypoglycemia also occurs as a symptom of diabetes, however.

Source: About 20 years of experience.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Good God OP. :gonk:

I've seen a few people die but that's been in a hospital setting and it's rough but I can't imagine witnessing something like you did and being powerless to do anything. If you find yourself dwelling on it (or having nightmares), might help to talk to a professional about it. I know I'd be a mess if I saw that.

I'm getting a fire extinguisher for my car before the week is over.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Krakkles posted:

To further touch on this, you can be hypoglycemic without being diabetic, but being hyperglycemic is indicative of diabetes. Hypoglycemia also occurs as a symptom of diabetes, however.

Source: About 20 years of experience.

Yup. I've swung from hyperglycemic to hypo as a result of medications, also as a result of not eating enough before going to work. The lowest I've managed so far has been 46 mg/dL, which left me shaking like a leaf in a tornado.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

If you find yourself dwelling on it (or having nightmares), might help to talk to a professional about it.

This is a really good point.

At the squad/fire department we have other people who have been through this to talk to as well as professional councilors. I've needed it plenty of times.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Yup. I've swung from hyperglycemic to hypo as a result of medications, also as a result of not eating enough before going to work. The lowest I've managed so far has been 46 mg/dL, which left me shaking like a leaf in a tornado.
Wuss. Lowest I've consciously tested myself was 28mg/dl. :q:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

McMadCow posted:

Has anyone tried this particular solution in their Boxster/Cayman? I had an extinguisher in my old car but I haven't been able to figure out a safe mounting point for my 986 and this seems great as long as it doesn't get in the way of my legs.

EDIT: Hurr, no link.
http://www.amazon.com/SpeedTactics-Porsche-extinguisher-bracket-Panamera/dp/B00GDHKWAW

Co-worker has a GT3 with a very similar (or the same) bracket and they're not bothered by it at all.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Krakkles posted:

Wuss. Lowest I've consciously tested myself was 28mg/dl. :q:

32mg/dl, and I'm supposedly perfectly healthy. Things go a bit surreal down at those levels. (The actually diabetic partner is better at avoiding those dips than me, somehow.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've had a fire extinguisher in all of my cars, thankfully I've never had to use one yet.

But I realized that I really didn't have any kind of seatbelt-cutting or window-smashing tools apart from my weedy little Leatherman Squirt (which would probably be impossible to remove from a jeans pocket after a crash), so I just ordered a couple of ResQMe's. One for my car and two spares that I'll probably give to my parents. I hope we'll never have to use them.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My brothers 99 bmw started on fire in our driveway before. When driving earlier in the day he said he gauges shut off for a second, then came on and were going crazy and he was having radio issues and could smell a slight burning sensation. I guess it didn't alarm him that much because he didnt bother checking it out when he got home. Few hours later and he goes to get some cigarettes from his car, opens the door and shouts "My car is on fire!"

We open the doors, dont see anything but the cabin is filled with smoke. Open up the hood and nothing smoking there. Open up the trunk and its filled with really dense smoke. Turns out he had his power wire to his amp just sitting there on the carpet sparking up a storm. He also had a half full 5 gallon bucket of oil sitting back there that when everything was over with basically melted all over the trunk. We got our fire extinguishers from inside the house but even after soaking the wire it would still spark up and start the oil soaked carpet on fire. So at this point we call 911, Im hitting the wire every couple seconds to put out the fire and my brother is scrambling underneath the hood looking for the battery. First responder comes, helps my brother start looking for the battery and still cant find it. At this point the wire is only sparking and not catching fire so I look on my phone for the location of the battery: its in the trunk.

Fire never spread further than the trunk, but the cabin smelled terrible. Insurance ended up totaling it and amazingly got a 6.5k check when he paid $4000 for it just a few months prior.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
thanks to this thread, when I was riding in my friend's '91 Prelude Si for the first time yesterday, when he said "poo poo my car is smoking" and pulled over I knew we shouldn't pop the hood.

it turned out the smoke was coming from the tailpipe because the fiber-reinforced metal cylinder sleeves in the thing's B21A1 engine are so tough and indestructible that they beat the poo poo out of the piston rings, and he overfilled the oil by about a quarter quart, but it's the thought that counts.

(later he discovered that passing someone who's going 30 in a 55 leaves them in an impenetrable oily blue cloud)

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

thanks to this thread, when I was riding in my friend's '91 Prelude Si for the first time yesterday, when he said "poo poo my car is smoking" and pulled over I knew we shouldn't pop the hood.

it turned out the smoke was coming from the tailpipe because the fiber-reinforced metal cylinder sleeves in the thing's B21A1 engine are so tough and indestructible that they beat the poo poo out of the piston rings, and he overfilled the oil by about a quarter quart, but it's the thought that counts.

(later he discovered that passing someone who's going 30 in a 55 leaves them in an impenetrable oily blue cloud)

Kind of unrelated to the topic, but this is a known B21A1 thing. That motor is poo poo. Swap in a B20A5 from an 88 - 89 and enjoy years of trouble free motoring.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Black88GTA posted:

Kind of unrelated to the topic, but this is a known B21A1 thing. That motor is poo poo. Swap in a B20A5 from an 88 - 89 and enjoy years of trouble free motoring.

he knows, but it's the first time he'd overfilled it :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
It's not a Prelude if it doesn't have a giant oily black smear on the bumper above the tailpipe

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

A Texas man and his dog died after they apparently became trapped inside the man’s car because the doors wouldn’t unlock, according to a Houston-area television station. Officials with the Port Arthur Police Department told KBMT that 72-year-old James Rogers was found unresponsive inside his vehicle with his dog, Leia, the station reported on Tuesday.

The door locks in his 2007 Chevy Corvette are completely electric, and officers said it appeared the battery cable came loose while the pair was inside the car. With no power, the doors would not unlock.

The fire department was called and they had trouble getting inside the vehicle, according to KBMT. When they finally got inside, they found Rogers and Leia dead. Evidence at the scene indicated the man struggled to get out of the car before he died, the station reported.

His death was likely a result of the heat, police told KBMT. The victim was not able to call anyone for help because he accidentally left his cell phone at a Waffle House.
Another reason to have a window breaker in your car

quote:

According to Corvette experts, there is a manual release inside the vehicle, but most people don’t know about it and many say it is difficult to see. The release is usually located on the left-hand side of the floorboard by the driver and the right-hand side by the passenger.

Or, reading the manual that came with the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Trip report:

I bought a couple of Resqme knock-offs from China for £1 each. I then immediately thought how dumb it was to save a couple of pounds on something that your life could depend on and bought a couple of originals for £9 each

After testing, it is definitely worth spending the extra: The originals require a consistent push to fire, the knock-offs require all the effort at the end of the push and seem to need twice the effort. The original punches a hole half the size of the knock-offs (tested in a bit of wood), so probably is more concentrated force.

In fact, I can't get the knock-offs to fire by using my weak hand at all. Bloody useless.

• Locked thread