Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

The Svartálfar underground district. Five years ago, the dwarves hollowed the sacred earth underneath Midgard's Root, until it expanded so large and so fast that the excesses of Worldroot also found their homes here. A dank place where little sunlight pours, only the glow of mushrooms houses, lanterns, and bootleg electrical networks illuminate the eternal darkness of this town. The gremlins, pixies, elves, and even humans ply their wares across numerous market stalls in the districts, selling anything from fire salts and eldritch condiments to forged weapons straight from Svartálfar herself.

The Valkyries of Skyroot only descend this far for the occasional raid, roughing up merchants and taking contraband, to show that not even the dwarves can escape Æsir watch. And the self-styled barons of the district let them have those victories, those smirches to their pride. After all, they know who the true lords are. Those pompous brats from Skyroot would never uncover the true face of the underground district, nor the myriads events that transpire here…

...events like the one tonight, really.

_____

By all accounts, it looks like any other noodle bar in underground district, even if it's somehow get a lot of traffic for a run-down place. They serve a decent bowl of chow mein, and they serve it fast and cheap. The owner and cook doesn't talk much, he only takes your order and takes your money. But if you say the right words, give him the proper invitation, he responds with a quiet nod. He leads you downstairs, to the pantry. Behind all the crates, all the shelves, away from prying eyes, right through a shimmering gateway that leads to another world entirely.

They call it a "pocket dimension", an old phenomenon where the friction of two intersecting Realms causes dimensional space to "bubble" along their edges. As you might expect, the Convergence forced a lot of these tiny realms materialize overnight. This one, in particular, is the result of Midgard and Alfheim crossing together for a brief moment to create an imperial palace in the middle of the clouds. A private establishment only open to the upper crust of the criminal underworld, the real power of Svartálfar. The home of the infamous Shadow Auction.

Welcome to Shangri-La.

_____

Message from Decima, 12 hours ago posted:

To: me <_________@__________________________________>

Sorry for the short notice. This is usually a mission we brief you on the Sessrúmnir, but time is not on our side today. I'll lay down the situation as best I can.

It's an open secret that the dwarf barons of the underground district run an auction house called "Shangri-La" that caters to an exclusive clientele. Every so often, Shangri-La's agents uncover some powerful artifact or deadly weapon from one of the Realms, bring them to these halls, and bid them off to rich collectors, aspiring warlords, anyone with the right amount of class and money. A few hours ago, I picked up good intel that says Shangri-La's distributing invites to another "Shadow Auction" tonight. And guess what's their main attraction is?

The hammer of Thor. Yeah, that one. No one has seen the Æsir for years, not even a corpse, yet somehow they have his gear up for auction. If having Mjölnir back on Earth isn't bad enough, I also have word that both RAGNAROK and Valhalla Company know about this auction. Both Loki and the Valkyries would have strong reasons to reclaim the hammer for themselves. Sigurd and I agree that we can't let them do that.

Head to the usual drop site; we prepared a fake invitation to get you past the bouncer, as well as some fancy clothes for the place if you don't have one already. Your objectives are simple: infiltrate the auction and claim Mjölnir before anyone else does. Go loud or go quiet, how you do this is up to you. Just remember to minimize causalities, never forget that we're not like them.

Sigurd and I will be in touch once you reach the mission site. Good luck.

_____

The inside of Shangri-La is almost as impressive as the outside. Aside from the imperial atmosphere, it also features a small army of dwarven servants to accommodate the throng of guests tonight. Aside from the clear fact that they own a lot of money, you can see a wide strata of folks from all over the Realm, from corporate magnates to criminal masterminds. It's kind of a who's who of the filthy rich, but none of them should be able to recognize who you are. Unless you want them to!

Overhearing the recent conversation here, you know that Thor's hammer is under guard backstage, RAGNAROK's goons may already be inside, and the auction proper in the main hall will start in 15 minutes. It will take for Decima to open a secure communication line to where you are, so the five of you are on your own. What do you do?

Sorry for the setup, I hope it isn't too much to take in. I wanted to lay out all the details so we can jump to the action now. :shobon:

I'll leave you guys to decide how to approach your objectives. Don't be afraid to try crazy things, it's what the genre is about. :) You can also split up if you want, just assume that everyone in Folkvangr has a earpiece with interdimensional reception to stay in touch.

Remember that you have each have a pool of five Competency Dice, which you can use to do cool things like declare narrative details in the scene (ie. say that you planned a contingency in a flashback). You can always gain more by acting superheroic, producing drama, and going headlong into danger.

If you have questions, just hit me up.

OOC Thread Here

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sylvi Quist

Scooping the last of her noodles into her mouth as she goes through a portal, she tosses the bowl onto the table as she slips into to portal. As she arrives, she slurps one last noodle and takes off her ushanka. Her dress is a mix of Midgard wear and ancient ratatosk fashion, and it's about as formal as she gets. Reaching back with her fingers to smooth down her hair, she sticks out a tongue a little in thought. "This kind of Æsir stuff is usually just fake or overrat- oh." Her eyes widen at the light show, and she laughs, taking a few steps forward before turning around and walking backward as she looks over to the others.

"So, I wasn't really paying attention, do we have a plan before I start hitting things?", she says, her voice at least cautiously low. Those that know her might realize that she's only half-joking. Well. More like one-quarter joking. One-eighth joking? Joking has a minority share in that statement, at least.

pre:
Sylvi Quist

Resistances (9D): Composure 3D, Fortitude 4D, Reaction 2D, Will 4D
Aptitudes (6D): Athleticism 2D, Fighting 3D, Presence 3D, Survival 2D
Powers (9D): Mental Paralysis 4D (Area Effect +2D, Charges: 3 uses per session -4D), Super Strength 5D (Reflection 1D), 
Teleport 3D (Gate 1D, Conditional: On Yggdrasil only -1D, Only To Yggdrasil Locations -1D, Limited Use: No Attack -1D)
Advantages (1D): Is That Your Best Shot? 1D
Disadvantage (-5D): Major Mental Hindrance -2D (Duty: Ratatosk), Minor Mental Hindrances -2D (Reckless, Pride), Poor -1D

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Jonathan Calderone

Dressed in a formal tuxedo picked up from the drop site and looking profoundly discomforted with the unfamiliar clothing, Jonathan steps through the portal. Irritation changes to amazement in an instant as the cramped underground corridor is replaced with a brilliant blue sky, the knight taking a moment just to look at the sights. Even after five years of living in Midgard's Root and dealing with all that came with it, things like this were still breathtaking. His annoyance is quick to return though, as he notes the appearance of the other guests, most notably the criminal and the corrupt who ruled over the underground district.

Shaking his head and forcing a smile onto his face, Jonathan steps up and claps a hand on Sylvi's shoulder. "Your ethusiasm is appreciated, Lady Quist! But I fear Lady Decima will be most disappointed with us if we didn't even try to be subtle first," the knight responds cheerfully. "Ah, but yes. Smashing the whole bunch here sounds mighty tempting," the man concludes in a wistful voice.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Iris Nakano

Iris took to the whole disguise concept like a fish to water, and looks a lot more natural in hers than Jonathan. Of course, she also needed more of a disguise. Contacts changed her eye color to yellow, a bit of dye to make her hair blue, her optics gear to blend things together and make her features a slight bit different. Then makeup. Then the dress - purple and pink with a layered skirt. A little more risque than she'd wear normally, but it's kind of fun as a disguise. Then the accessories...

Iris pushes her way between the other two. "Oh no, I did not spend all that time getting ready to have to put my armor on right off! We are going to do this whole party thing for at least a half hour." She idly plays with the ribbon on her right wrist, which is hiding the bracelet that will call the rest of her armor out of its pocket dimension. The one on her left wrist does the same for the Apple. She really doesn't want to lose either.

"We need to get into the auction, and make our move when the hammer comes up for bidding, right? Cause if we move before then, they've probably got it somewhere they could, like, throw it into a car and escape."

Character Sheet posted:

Erinyes (Iris Nakano)

Resistances [4D]
Composure 2D | Fortitude 2D | Reaction 2D | Will 2D

Aptitudes [3D]
Performance (Singing) 3D (4D)

Powers [12D]
Armor [Complication: Device (Armor)] 4D | Energy Control (Light) [Boost: Area Effect 2D; Complication: Device (Apple), Complication: Uncontrollable] 5D | Flight [Complication: Device (Armor)] 3D | Life Support [Complication: Device (Armor)] 2D | Super Strength [Complication: Device (Armor)] 2D

Advantages [5D]
Celebrity 1D | Charismatic 1D | Wealthy 2D
Base of Operations [The Forge] 1D (10D Base)

Base of Operations posted:

The Forge
General Statistics [4D]
Size 1D | Material Strength 3D | Security 3D

Aptitudes [6D]
Academia 2D | Medical 2D | Technology 2D
Companion [Haephestus] 1D (10D Companion)

Companion posted:

Haephestus

Resistances [2D]
Composure 2D | Fortitude 1D | Reaction 1D | Will 2D

Aptitudes [4D]
Academia 3D [via Super Brain] | Medical 3D | Occultism 3D | Technology 3D [via Super Science]

Powers [6D]
Super Brain 3D | Super Science [Complication: Requires Access to Lab] 3D | Wizardy [Complication: Requires Access to Lab] 2D

Advantages [1D]
Unliving 1D

Disadvantages [-3D]
Major Social Hindrance (Strange Looking) 2D | Minor Physical Hindrance (Mobility) 1D

Competency Pool [0D]

Disadvantages [-4D]
Claustrophobia 1D | Minor Mental Hindrance (Iris: Shy/Erinyes: Mean)* 1D | Minor Social Hindrance (Strange Looking) 1D | Secret (Identity) 1D | Vulnerability (Sonic) 1D

Competency Pool [0D] 5D

*Depends on whether she is using the Apple.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 13, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Ingeborg Menjasdóttir

Ingeborg's outfit is a loud one, to say the least: a billowing gold-trimmed cloak, a vast coat of navy blue, a bronze face-mask set above her visor. Each item is one of her trophies, and she strides into Shangri-la with a distinct swagger in her step. She's also brought a crackling dwarf-carved jar with her through the gateway. Filled with specialty superconducting mead of Svartálfar, she's relished every drop and isn't about to leave it unfinished.

A powerful laugh explodes from her vocabulator the second she sees the crowd. "An 'auction' for the Mjölnir to these little lambs? Ha! You could take a fortune from half of them without lifting a finger." She moves so that any prying eyes are blocked by her massive bulk, then addresses Iris. "Yes, it would be no fun to charge in against so much wet paper. But I'm certain there are a few people here who share Sylvi's good sense and have enough strength to support it. I will try my luck with them. Friend or foe, it's good to know who'll be fighting once the battle starts. And if Ragnarok or Valhalla have taken up this "subtlety" of yours, I'll leave that up to you."

Her gaze sweeps across the lobby, looking for anyone dangerous enough to be worth her time. 15 minutes should be plenty for an impromptu drinking contest.

quote:

Ingeborg Menjasdóttir

Resistances [8D]: Composure 2D, Fortitude 4D (Boost: Sharable 1), Reaction 3D, Will 2D

Aptitudes [3D]: Fighting 3D, Academia (Complication: Only Vs. Mythology) 3D

Powers [11D]: Elemental Control (Lightning, Complication: Limited Use, No Defense): 2D, Super Weaponry (Giant's Beam Axe, Complication: Device, Boost: Area Effect 1D): 4D, Super Strength: 3D, Armor: 3D

Advantages [3D]: Size (Big) 1D, Occupation (Viking) 1D, Unliving 1D

Disadvantages [-5D]: Weakness: Jotunn-Slaying Weaponry 1D, Minor Mental Hindrance (Reckless) 1D, Minor Mental Hindrance (Glory Hound) 1D, Major Social Hindrance (Strange Looking) 2D

Competency Pool [5D]

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Fenghuang

Disguising Fenghuang is an impossibility, beyond the obvious -She shines through any covering.

So obviously, she's here as a buyer. A whim from the infamously whimsical Alfheimers is not out of place at all. Rather than try to hide her majesty, simple misdirection has been used- she's here as a distant cousin who sometimes claims dominion over the thunders. Cousin Long won't mind her borrowing her face for a day or so.

In that position, there's only one thing to do- find any other elves in the crowd, and make friends.

Pointedly.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Jonathan Calderone

"T'was merely a jest," Jonathan replies placatingly to the half-elf, hands raised in defeat. He hadn't been seriously thinking about trying to take down every weaselly crime lord he could get his hands on in here, as much as it irked him to see them flaunt their power and status. That'd be suicidal with all the guards and defenses here. But a knight could dream, couldn't he?

Watching Ingeborg and Fenghuang walk off on their own, Jonathan reaches up to run a hand through his slicked back brown hair as he considers the situation. "Should one of us accompany them then?" the knight asks aloud to the other two. "There's no way Menjasdóttir won't cause some sort of ruckus," Jonathan grumbles with a nod towards the boisterous robot. "But that might be good for a distraction. Or we could...mingle." The way he spits out at the last word makes it clear mission or not, the knight had little interest in socializing with the other guests.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sylvi Quist

"Fine, we can wait, and then when everything goes wrong like usual- punching time.", Sylvi says softly and confidently, grinning toothily for a moment. "Besides, I bet they have free food! Midgarders just give it away to show off, it's pretty great.", she says, looking across the room with her hat in hand as she hurries slightly ahead. Well, she wasn't brought on for genteel qualities, that's for sure.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"We should try a like, multiprong approach. I'm gonna see if I can figure out where the auction is." Iris slips off, figuring the spot would probably have a couple of goons guarding it and important people hanging around so everyone can see that they're important.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 16, 2015

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

"Well okay then," Jonathan mutters to himself as the rest of the group splits off. Then with a shrug, the knight jams his hands in the pockets of his tuxedo jacket and slowly makes his way across the room, head swiveling to scan the crowds as he walks by. Now, who could he recognize in this meeting the of the rich and powerful...?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Okay, it seems easier to do this in three groups. Hope this works out.

_________

Iris and Sylvi

It shouldn't come as any surprise that Shangri-la appears far larger on the inside than it does from outside. After Iris and Sylvi follow some guests across a long hallway that twists itself three times over, you finally end up at the auction hall. At first glance, the room looks more suited for a fancy dinner party than a secret auction of the rich. But that's probably how they roll here. Many of the guests are already seated here, dining and chatting for the next fifteen minutes or so. At the far back of the room, you can see dwarf and a jötunn hastily add in the final touches of the stage.

And yes, there's a very impressive buffet table on the side for Sylvi. Some of the spreads on this table seem mundane, while the ones further back probably come with names you can't properly pronounce. She can probably find a few friends there among the caterers or the people gorging on the dishes made from Yggdrasil's acorns.

Iris spots a few of the auction items right next to them: a large, golden chariot with a fairly ordinary iron glove and belt draped on top of them. That must be the rest of Thor's gear. No sign of the hammer, though.

Nearby, the two of you can see a crowd assemble around the mass of a dwarf man with a winged cap, fawning over and laughing at his jokes. Both of you remember that Decima included some profiles with her e-mail, so you know that's no ordinary dwarf. That's the dwarf baron of the Caduceus Guild and the host of this Shadow Auction. He controls the flow of goods that go in and out of the Svartálfar underground. And he might be one of the most dangerous people in this hall.

Baron Hermes.

_____

Ingeborg

Somewhere between the foyer and the auction hall, you end up in some sort of private bar. It looks like the sort of bar that serves an upper class clientele, though with the upper class elsewhere, a throng of mobsters and security guards on break now carouse in this place. In fact, when you enter the bar, it looks like there's an argument reaching a fever pitch between these two groups, respectively led by a suited Yakuza man and another by a surly frost giant who wears Caduceus Guild colors.

As soon as you take another step, the jötunn flings the smaller Yakuza man towards the doorway, towards your direction!

_____

Fenghuang and Jonathan

Back in the foyer, a pair of elven handmaidens immediately accommodate Fenghuang. They take her to a particular part of the hall where a tall elf woman in regal Alfheimian dress greets that new guests that pass by. Lady Ma Gu is another name that appears in Decima's intel, the true master of the Shangri-la dimension who could control aspects of this magnificent palace as if they were her own body. The word of a kitsune (if you trust them in the first place) says that she has some sort of deal with Baron Hermes, who lets him use her palace to smuggle goods around in exchange for the special hemp she desperately needs for her... group rituals.

"Oh, it's so rare to see an elf from the thunders." Ma Gu titters, covering her mouth with fan, going with the whole noble lady package. "What can Ma Gu do for you?"

Meanwhile, Johnathan goes along towards Fenghuang's direction to find familiar players, though he's so busy looking for people in the crowd, that he ends up bumping into someone instead. It makes wonderful crash.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" The art dealer in front of him says, as she hastily picks up her glasses off the floor like her life depends on it. "I was looking around for where the auction is and..." She looks at Jonathan, checks him out, and smiles. "Oh, hey, you look too cute for this place. Are you really here for the auction?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Iris activates her comm and reports to the others. "Found the auction spot, a buffet even Sylvi will have trouble making a dent in, and some of Thor's stuff! His chariot - goats not included - plus Járngreipr and Megingjörð." Iris makes the tactical decision not to mention the Wikipedia search she made when she saw the stuff. "No sign of Mjölnir... Looks like they're keeping that out of sight until later."

"Uh... I"m gonnaaaa..." Iris bites her lip, considering what she should do. "I'm gonna see if I can listen in on the Baron a bit." She starts heading in that direction, making small talk with people as she goes.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

"No no no, I must apologize miss!" Jonathan immediate refutes with a shake of his head after recovering himself. "I'm afraid I wasn't paying enough attention to my immediate surroundings." Behind his cheerful facade, the knight mentally winces as he hears Iris report in over the comms. While he had the utmost confidence in his teammates, Baron Hermes was not a dwarf to be taken lightly. Jonathan could only hope Iris would be careful in her eavesdropping.

At the art dealer's questioning words, the knight lets out a booming laugh in response and returns with a beaming smile of his own. "Oh, you flatter me miss! But yes, I too am here for the auction. I've heard that such interesting things will be up for sale. Even to catch sight of them would be a privilege."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sylvi's cheeks get stuffed with soft bark cracklin's, ale-goat cheese puffs, acorn mash caps, and other things besides, and it's in that sloppy mingling of flavors that she looks up, and beams before closing her mouth and making sure to chew as she marched over, throwing her arm around Esger's shoulder. But who's Esger?

Why, he's a famous Vedrfolnir chef - at least on the tree - despite his youth. Sylvi and him met at a bash in the upper branches, where she thoroughly managed to unintentionally embarrass him and ruin everything. It turns out those fruits she ate where for the main course? Who knew! Well, not Sylvi when she ate them. Nonetheless, she's thrilled to see him. See, the tribes value cooks like Midgarders might value rock stars or movie actors. Partly because they have no rock or film, but in a more transient existence, they appreciate the short-lived art of food. Also, they eat a lot.

"Esger!" Squeezing his shoulder with perhaps too much familiarity, she beams. "Oh, you have to show me around what you made! Oh, can I come in the kitchen? Can I see what you're cooking?"

This is not appropriate.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Ingeborg's arm intercepts the yakuza in mid-air, and redirects his flight with a wide circular swing. Her huge cloak moves with her and shatters an assortment of bottles as it goes. Once the poor fellow leaves her grip he hurtles towards a gilt chandelier, smacking into it with a melody like chimes. He hangs there for a moment and scrambles madly upwards as soon as his wits come back to him. Priceless crystals shatter on the floor in his wake.

After a sip from her jar, Ingeborg walks leisurely towards the frost giant with both arms opened. If he's an ally then Folkvangr may be one step closer to the Mjölnir. If he's not she'll have an excellent fight on her hands. She can't lose.

"A fine throw! The might of Niflheim's sons deserves its fame. I'd say this dispute has found its winner. Come now, I would know what these whelps challenged you over. Their foolishness is surely worth a drink and a good laugh." A sly nod towards the struggling yakuza seals her point.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Why, cousin, I wished only to congratulate you on the magnificence of your realm," says Fenghuang smoothly. "The addition of the mortal Rococo style to your unmatched sense of decor has clearly paid off." She bows, a fraction above what would technically be considered polite. "You must tell me what inspired this! Is it perhaps, a love of a certain dashing Baron?"

A hidden insult, to gauge the closeness of the relationship between the good hemp mother and Baron Hermes. Alfheimers fell in love easily, and it was no shame to fall for anybody, even one of the svart- but to be inspired by it, to change oneself for love, that is madness. Your short-lived lovers changed for you, the elves of Alfheim- not you for them. The Thunders often were known to forget about this in the moment- they were, after all, quick-changing and impulsive, like their namesakes. So Long wouldn't find it insulting to ask, but Ma Gu probably would find it insulting to answer...

Fenghuang hides her impish smile behind a fan of her own. That, and annoying Empresses in their own homes is fun.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 24, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Iris and Sylvi

Esger narrows his eyes at the squirrel hanging over his shoulder, stuffing her mouth with his food. "…Sylvi."

He is absolutely delighted to see her! No, that's not a scowl he's masking with a smile, he's simply surprised. Really and truly. It's not like his reputation on the line once more for catering this event!

"If I do what you ask, will you not try to eat everything in your path?" He says, maintaining his composure.

Iris edges towards Baron Hermes, though the hanger-ons around him place him just outside of listening range. He enjoys the attention and continues to brag about the auction and his own splendor, though she can only catch bits and pieces of it.

She needs to make some sort of risk to get in with the "it" crowd.

Iris, tell me what you do to listen in on the Baron and make an appropriate roll for it.

_____

Ingeborg

The frost giant regards Ingeborg for a second and straightens himself to rival her height. He wears a nice format suit that somehow envelopes his frame with a tiny name tag pinned near his heart that says "My Name Is BELI" in block handwriting.

"Sister, finely met." Beli sneers at the man now above them. "This… monkey of a man wished to drink with the finest of Baron Hermes' enforcers, yet he saw fit to insult my lord! In his own domain!"

"All I said that when it comes to stature, my lord is a few heads above yours! It's proven fact!" The wiry yakuza man, while terrified of his current predicament, does hold on to the chandelier with some degree of simian grace. "I say, why don't we have them stand side by side and-"

"And he continues to do so!" The jötunn clenches his fist. "I challenge him to a duel of honor, but he keeps squirming away from me like a coward! I demand satisfaction."

"Oh dear, oh dear." The human scrambles a few more inches upward, making the chandelier swing more wildly, and looks down towards Ingeborg. "Oh, Lady of Steel, he wants a fight from me, but I'm just a man of words and very soft insides. If you can calm him down, I'll make it worth your while!"

_____

Fenghuang and Jonathan

Ma Gu blinks. Her handmaidens turn confused looks towards each other.

And she then she laughs.

"Oh! Oh, Heavens no!" She says to Fenghuang, smiling. "I don't doubt his appeal with the crowd, but he is a business partner, nothing more. A very useful one, even if I must deal with these events every so often. So public, so noisy," Admittedly, for a private gala, there's quite a crowd in here. "I prefer something more private and, say, intimate."

This isn't to say that Fenghuang's instincts are wrong. She catches Ma Gu take a glance around the room as she speaks, as if she's looking for someone else. Someone definitely has her attention, if not her heart.

"But thank you. The style is a tribute, admittedly. We've had certain sponsors in Skyroot make grand contributions to the palace, so here we are."

If you want to pry, tell me what you do and make a roll for it.

"Thor's hammer, right?" The art dealer nods at Jonathan! She is just about Jonathan's height, dressing like it's Casual Friday at the office. "It's weird, how did they come up with that? Do you think they really have the hammer? Wouldn't people be looking all over the multiverse for something that powerful? Or do people here really care more about money than the honor of returning an Asgardian weapon back to its home realm?"

She looks at Jonathan again, then covers her mouth. "Oh, I'm an idiot, names! Right! I'm Mi- I'm Misty. Art dealer." Misty extends her hand to shake. "Maybe you can help me find the auction hall? Feels like I'm going to get lost if I take ten steps in any direction."

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

At the torrent of questions unleashed by the art dealer, Jonathan simply blinks in response before letting out a low chuckle as Misty sheepishly remembers to introduce herself.

"You can call me Jonathan," the knight answers in turn, eyes twinkling with amusement as he shook the offered hand. Dropping his grip, Jonathan then reaches up to rub the bottom of his chin in thought. "But no, given the nature of Midgard's Root, I'm not terribly surprised. I'm also inclined to believe the veracity of the auction house's claim, given how unpleasant their clientele could get if they were lied to. As for the sale, sadly it does seem like honor doesn't mean much when compared to gold nowadays."

"And lastly," the knight finishes with a wide grin on his face. "Of course, it would be my pleasure to escort you to the auction hall."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Iris considers her options, then decides to take the direct approach. A quick adjustment to her disguise, and then she walks right up to the table and joins the group, acting like she belongs there. It might take a moment for it to sink in, but up close she is now clearly Iris Nakano, pop idol, in a get up designed to fool paparrazzi and autograph hounds.

She smiles cheerily at everyone and tries to catch the drift of the Baron's conversation.

Perform: 3d6 10

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

A derisive jet of air snorts out of Ingeborg's forward cooling vents. "Don't think you can cower behind me! You've insulted your host in his own hall. That Beli deserves this challenge is clear as day. Or is your dignity as shriveled as your limbs?"

When she tilts her head back towards the irate giant, her visor emits a flash of warm green light. Despite her words she sounds more amused than bloodthirsty. "But, Brother Beli, it would not do to see those soft insides spilled on an occasion like this. They would stain these fine carpets and ruin the appetite of your lord's guests. And this incontinent calf couldn't hold his own for ten seconds anyhow."

After a sidelong glance at the perilously sloshing jar in her hand, she proclaims to the entire room: "If he wanted a drink he shall get his drink. I say we hold a contest; the last one standing shall prove the victor!" Suddenly a stout metal finger aims itself at the yakuza's group. "You lot! If you are willing to stand with your friend, we shall see if a dozen of you cannot match one giant. Let all learn that Baron Hermes' cellars are the deepest in the Realms! Of course, I'll join in as judge if you'd allow it."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Sponsors, you say," says Fenghuang, fanning herself delicately. "My my, you are as always the very most adaptable. You are very much a worthy queen of this realm."

As she continues with polite pleasantries, Fenghuang... amps up the charm. By which we mean the old charm, not the kind passed between young paramours. With a little shift, and a raised gaze, soon all eyes of the unworthy start to slowly shift to Fenghuang... while other worthies find themselves casting about for allies.

Fenghuang watches Ma Gu's gaze. Where does she look when she senses a rival?

Presence: 3d6 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"What? It's more your fault for making such delicious food.", Sylvi says with a firm pout. "Fiiiine.", she says with the tone of a teenager barely conceding the most onerous of notions, her eyes to the sky. "I'll try." Wait, was that a back door she just slipped in? Uh-oh. Taking her arm from around the cook, she beams, clasping her hands together in excitement. "So... let's see! Let's see!"

• Locked thread