Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Internet Kraken posted:

The federation are a bunch of dumb idiots whose first thought upon encountering a hostile alien lifeform that absorbs and clones everything is too try and breed it into a biological weapon. Then when that lifeform kills everything on the station, their response is to try and do it all again because how could we gently caress this up twice?

Metroid is a tragic tale of a universe where nobody follows OSHA standards.

Wasn't Samus' response to that to crash the space station into the planet to blow them both up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Wasn't Samus' response to that to crash the space station into the planet to blow them both up?

Samus really, really likes blowing up planets.

It's on Treehouse right now and they have the game director guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXFeuxiL1F0

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Which nameless grunt dude is your favorite? I'm partial to Yellow Mask Guy myself.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

andipossess posted:

Can't wait until the timeline split entry into the series, Metroid: Missile Tank of Time.

Other M is the timeline where character development has canonically failed.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Big Boss believes in Santa Claus but what about Samus Aran?

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
I can't wait to play as the secret 5th guy, ADAM.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Which nameless grunt dude is your favorite? I'm partial to Yellow Mask Guy myself.

mine is the orange and red one from the other games who does the exact same things these guys do and has exactly as much personality

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Internet Kraken posted:

The federation are a bunch of dumb idiots whose first thought upon encountering a hostile alien lifeform that absorbs and clones everything is too try and breed it into a biological weapon. Then when that lifeform kills everything on the station, their response is to try and do it all again because how could we gently caress this up twice?

Metroid is a tragic tale of a universe where nobody follows OSHA standards.

This is kinda the main problem. In the Prime games, the Federation are upstanding guys who are just outclassed by the Space Pirates and crazy poo poo like the Ing and Dark Samus and need Samus' help, so they ask Samus for help and they treat her with respect and admiration at all times (in Prime 3, the dudes actually salute you).

But in the Sakamoto games, the Federation is full of braindead morons who see the Space Pirates continually loving up their attempts to clone Metroids and go "hey we oughta try that." And in Fusion and Other M, they constantly abuse, lie to and mislead Samus despite her basically being a weapon of mass destruction with no loyalty or ties to anything except to her own sense of right and wrong and her dead bird parents.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The game was on the stream with Tanabe, looks like it could be fun. I think Next Level Games know their poo poo.

I don't think it warrants a petition, at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

VJeff posted:

This is kinda the main problem. In the Prime games, the Federation are upstanding guys who are just outclassed by the Space Pirates and crazy poo poo like the Ing and Dark Samus and need Samus' help, so they ask Samus for help and they treat her with respect and admiration at all times (in Prime 3, the dudes actually salute you).

But in the Sakamoto games, the Federation is full of braindead morons who see the Space Pirates continually loving up their attempts to clone Metroids and go "hey we oughta try that." And in Fusion and Other M, they constantly abuse, lie to and mislead Samus despite her basically being a weapon of mass destruction with no loyalty or ties to anything except to her own sense of right and wrong and her dead bird parents.

Japanese Federation is Weyland-Yutani, American Federation is whatever the gently caress Master Chief's clique is called, there isn't much more to it than that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

American Federation is whatever the gently caress Master Chief's clique is called, there isn't much more to it than that.
The United Nations Space Command? Actually yeah pretty much.

Though to be honest you could hand-wave it as like with any organization there are good people and assholes and Samus just happened to be dealing with more of the assholes later in her career.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rhonne posted:

Not exactly. Blowing up the station wouldn't work because the X parasite was incredibly resilient and would be able to survive in the debris as they spread out into who knows where. Her solution was to drive the station onto the surface of SR38, the home planet of the X parasite, working on the logic that any surviving X wouldn't be an issue because that's the only ecosystem that has adapted to not being completely destroyed by them. Or something like that its been ages since I played Fusion.

The thing that makes this extra stupid though is that the space pirates are disorganized and leaderless by the time Fusion takes place so the Federation has no big enemy they could justify using a bio weapon against. They're just loving around with highly dangerous creatures for the hell of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They needed a safeguard against Ridley, the other stupidly dangerous lifeform they kept stashed away for no good reason.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Japanese Federation is Weyland-Yutani, American Federation is whatever the gently caress Master Chief's clique is called, there isn't much more to it than that.

I dunno man, in Prime 3 they started shooting themselves up with Phazon, which really wasn't a very unambiguous good guy thing to do.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Eh, the Feds only had Phazon in their armor, which was more or less totally safe.

The problem with Samus and the other bounty hunters was they had their bodies naturally producing the poo poo after their run-in with Dark Samus, which was all kinds of bad news.

KillerDan
Nov 4, 2012
There's still the fact that when they found out that Samus's body was producing Phazon naturally, instead of trying to get rid of it they decided to radically alter her suit to run off the juice while she was unconscious for a few weeks or so. Doesn't seem like the totally good-guy thing to do, really.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Really, if they just made up 8 or so dudes to pick from like 'Major Tom Fuckstick of the Federation' and 'Other Bounty Hunter J'oe Sch'mo-e' or whatever it would go a long way towards their 'we're fleshing out the universe of Metroid Prime' argument.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah having you play as bounty hunters instead of faceless grunts would make the game more interesting. Plus then they could reuse some of the hunters from the DS game that weren't huge jerks. Of course it wouldn't help much if they went with the repulsive art style we have right now.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮ Hey Nintendo Fans, here are the games you wanted ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

This games looks like poo poo. When they previewed the Soccer game at the World Championship I thought it was going to be an eshop mini game. The only decent game they announced was the Mario and Luigi.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
These are like free dlc that come with a real game right?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
When does this game come out? Can't wait to blast some orbs in space with goons.

Also, what are the odds they announce Amiibo support a la Yoshi's Woolly World?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh can you just repost this same thread, sticky it and lock it after the first "gently caress you"?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I understand that they are just using the Metroid name to drum up a little excitement for this, but did they really expect Metroid fans to want this? Why not just make it a Splatoon spin off, that's an actual action shooter.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's probably going to be a decent (if not good) game and at least it shows that they still have some interest in the franchise.

Still, I hope they make a traditional one as well. I can't see them not doing that. They'll probably do it in like 2 years or something though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

the petition to cancel this is at 20k signatures now.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
What good would canceling it even provide?

I guess it's just a big loud don't want!!!!! but still

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It gives an outlet to whiny dorks who have no control over any meaningful aspect in their lives.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I think this is a case of "I'd rather have nothing!"

I think the hope here would be telling Nintendo that they'd rather have a new real Metroid game instead of a bad looking spin off, but the real message this would probably send to Nintendo would be "no one wants a new Metroid I guess."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chill Penguin posted:

When does this game come out? Can't wait to blast some orbs in space with goons.

Also, what are the odds they announce Amiibo support a la Yoshi's Woolly World?

Chibi Gfed Trooper Amiibo would actually be way more likely to get my money than this game will ever be.

Rhonne posted:

I think this is a case of "I'd rather have nothing!"

I think the hope here would be telling Nintendo that they'd rather have a new real Metroid game instead of a bad looking spin off, but the real message this would probably send to Nintendo would be "no one wants a new Metroid I guess."

Basically. I think the petition is people trying to say "Hey, the last Metroid game was really bad, you've done nothing with it for five years, we've been trying to wait patiently, you ignored the serieses 25th Anniversary, come on, this looks really bad and we don't like the way you're treating the Metroid series."

But eloquence isn't the internet's strong suit. :v:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Beloved franchise anniversaries don't mean poo poo anymore.

We got loving Zestiria for the 20th Tales Anniversary, Megaman got a lovely iOS game for his 25th

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And I think the idea of Metroid becoming like Mega Man or Tales is wholly terrifying to Metroid fans, thank you for proving my point. :v:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
When is this game coming out? Can't wait to blast some balls as a Galactic Federation Trooper or whatever they're called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"2016", that's all we know.

• Locked thread