Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spittoon
May 15, 2009
Hey all, I'm an American going to the Netherlands in a couple of months to get my master's at Maastricht University. I'm not new to the expat thing; I just returned to the states from a 4 year stint in Thailand, and lived in Singapore and Australia as a kid. I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to Europe, though I've been to Amsterdam, Prague, and Geneva for about a week each.

If anyone has experience living in the Netherlands, especially Maastricht (and ESPECIALLY if you studied at UM), I'd love to hear about your general impressions, advice for expats/foreign students, or anything else that you'd like talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Maastricht has always struck me as a pretty conservative, and expensive town. Like you'll see a lot more fat old ladies with pearl necklaces there than anywhere else in Holland. Restaurants are pretty expensive for some reason, even though Limburg is not particularly rich. I got shortchanged E10,- by a fishmonger. That's what I think of Maastricht.

Be sure to get a bike and head out into the countryside.

Most people in other areas of the country think of Limburg as kind of a silly old fashioned place where people talk funny.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 19, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you're probably best of asking in the dutch part of the forum
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695908&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

either way, limburg: lots of farmers

• Locked thread