Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bog pixie

hoodrow trillson posted:

Well, I’ve been on Something Awful for a number of years now, and I’ve seen that one of the most difficult struggles people go through is figuring out how to be popular. I’m not exactly sure what internet popularity entails, but mostly I mean people recognizing your name and quoting you a lot. This is the highest thing you can aspire to on Something Awful, but among 70,000 registered users, it takes some work!

Here’s some advice from one of Something Awful’s true greats:

* The point is to get people to remember your name, and there are a few simple things you can do.

* What's important is to get your name out there as much as possible in places people read. Get a memorable avatar. Look at mine, it is perfect. people ask me about it all the time, and then they remember my name.

* Get your name in places that people read like in threads where popular users post like lowtax, martin random, lowtax, TheSwami, ozma, therapy, etc., the household names. and mods too. Do searches.

* If they read your post while they're still smiling form Martin Random's antics then you are just as funny to them. It's like a subliminal campaign. Before they know it they'll know you.

* If you get pm'ed by like ozma then agree with her, totally.

* Figure out what they hate and jump on board with them so they start to like you. Or argue if you can pull it off, but I can't.

* Jump on people who post threads which are about to be gassed, especially if popular people are jumping in on the carnage

* Another thing you can do is post anything like video clips or audio clips of yourself, like darth phunk. Take examples from the popular users and do what they do. Read lame posts out loud in a voice.

* The Swami writes really well. Post in his threads so people see you.

* I am really popular with the lurkers in FYAD because of my flags and GBS posts. I know I have some supporters who are afraid to talk, so I'm just biding my time.

* Read the SA encyclopedia and become familiar with forums drama in the past. Newer users see you making jokes about past drama they don't know about will think you're a regular.

* Never have a myspace, okcupid, livejournal, or other profile like that, because FYAD WILL FIND IT. Not that that's always a bad thing, because then people are talking about you. Maybe you want to post pictures so people talk about you even if it's just to poke fun.

* Hedge your bets with multiple accounts on either side of an issue so that you have insurance in case the trend goes sideways. either you were there from the start or you never bought in.

I’d like to thank my good buddy Og Oggilby (AKA CalCrowe) for this invaluable advice. You probably know him as the guy who posts endless screenshots from cartoons, or perhaps as the guy who posted a million flags in FYAD until Lowtax deleted them all. Or maybe you know him as the guy whose alternate account, CalCrowe, got banned for voting a Lowtax thread a zero while his main account posted in the threat about how great it was (classic hedging of bets; GENIUS!) The point is: you know him, and that’s what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
I think it's interesting how many legacy administrators there are

Mapparu

i dont have archives whats his totally awesome av look like

FluffieDuckie

i guess it was gassed because they don't want anyone to break the code?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

landy.

I guess I don't need to hang out here anymore. bye byob

Salmiakki

Mapparu posted:

i dont have archives whats his totally awesome av look like

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

bog pixie

shivadas posted:

I have said many times that lazy town is a quick ride to probation. don't post it again or it will happen

FluffieDuckie

he should stop by the avvie thread. we'll get him fixed up

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Salmiakki

ty cat dynamite

Diqnol

Fun read, thanks bae

bog pixie

filthyshoes.gif... (from the thread "now that byob is over...")

filthyshoes.gif posted:

i'd just like to say;
thanks for the fun times guys. hopefully we'll meet again someday. :(

Mapparu

quote:

Get a memorable avatar. Look at mine, it is perfect. people ask me about it all the time, and then they remember my name.

bog pixie

theyre banned now. they never got to see byob return. no..

fuck. marry. t-rex

Lol

bog pixie

wait im glad they got banned

fuck. marry. t-rex

I am really popular with the lurkers in FYAD because of my flags and GBS posts. I know I have some supporters who are afraid to talk, so I'm just biding my time

Salmiakki

bog pixie posted:

wait im glad they got banned

ty cat dynamite

bog pixie

let me take you back to a time when Bwee was angry

Bwee posted:

i am angry.

Bwee posted:

shut up everyone i am angry.

bacalou

guide to being popular in byob:

-heroin?
-heroin
-[like a gladiator] heroiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Mapparu

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I am really popular with the lurkers in FYAD because of my flags and GBS posts. I know I have some supporters who are afraid to talk, so I'm just biding my time

my only qualities and features in life are being popular with fyad lurkers, posting in gbs, and my kick rear end av!!!

bog pixie

holy poo poo, classic 2006 thread - BYOB IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN GBS

Rocketfingers posted:

I love everyone in BYOB and I did this by request.

Good bye everyone.

-prepares for bannination-

Mapparu

where is he now...

blinking beacon nose

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Question. Will this work in BYOB?

leethasbro

Rat Enthusiast
mods requesting namechange to weedbong von tittyflip

dogcrash truther

leethasbro posted: