Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
so I'd like to splurge a bit this coming January / February and spend a week or so somewhere that's warm and sunny and basically the complete opposite of the northeast US during winter.

In theory I'd like to go to a little island in the Caribbean, get a decent hotel room, rent a scooter, and spend my time riding around and looking for neat things to do. However, I'm a total travel novice and I feel like it'd be a little more wise to find a relatively quiet resort down there. I'd like to keep airfare / lodging expenses below $1k, which I realize is probably a bit ... hopeful. Being able to sightsee, do a little hiking, and get a little beach time would be nice. Good food and staying clear of kids / partiers / stereotypes is a must as well.

Any thoughts / advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

What airports are you willing to start your trip at?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
SYR would be easiest, but I could probably head to Rochester or Buffalo if it made things easier / cheaper.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For 1k to fly, stay, rent a scooter and eat it's going to be tough.

What about Playa del Carmen?

Flight to Cozumel is 530 in Jan with 1 stop on Delta. Take the ferry for $10. Rent an air bnb for ~70/night.
Rent a scooter for $100 for 4 days (be careful!)

That's close to 1k before food which can be cheap?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Looks like you could get to Montego Bay on the 11th of Jan. and fly out on the 18th for 380 round trip on USA Airways. Airbnb looks like you can get some stuff for 50 ish a night. So if you steal a scooter and then catch your own fish and cook it, I think we gotcha.

Also put your local airport into google flights and expand the map. You just click around a bit because most of the places you are thinking about don't have the prices listed, but they come up as soon as you select explore flights. On your budget Airbnb is probably your option.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
If you could find some way to get to Cuba (Varadero), it's usually really cheap, they have awesome beaches, there isn't much of a party culture from what I've seen, the touristy "downtown" is alright and you can get good cheap food there, and you can rent scooters like anywhere. Super safe too. Usually when I go (from Canada) it's anywhere from 800 - 1k Canadian for the flights + 7 days at an all inclusive + bus ride from and to airport when you're there. Resort food is usually pretty bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would really, really, strongly advise against renting a scooter in Cuba. Traffic is crazy, and I know multiple people, personally, who have been injured in scooter accidents. Other than that, if you don't mind breaking the US embargo, I'd agree that it's a good option. If Toronto is within driving distance for you, there's tons of flights from there to all over Cuba.

• Locked thread