Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
The root RPG is a thing.

Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding and it's just the setting people want to adapt. In which case God speed gentle goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jihad Joe posted:

The root RPG is a thing.

Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding and it's just the setting people want to adapt. In which case God speed gentle goon.

Yeah I meant adapting the RPG. Should have been more clear!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Kicking off a Brindlewood Bay campaign tonight. Anything special I need to be aware of beyond the usual PbtA guidance? Especially interested to hear from people who have run it as more than a one-shot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't there a thing in Masks on how you shouldn't have two of the same playbook?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't there a thing in Masks on how you shouldn't have two of the same playbook?

Yes, there is: "No two players can pick the same playbook; because MASKS focuses on the team dynamics of these young heroes, the members of the team need to be disparate and distinct." (p. 39)

(Originally this was just so you could print up a whole play packet and not worry about being short playbooks, but the successor systems have come up with their own rationales for why playbooks should be unique.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dawgstar posted:

Correct. Instead, give someone THE JOINED.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I've been thinking of apocalyspe world and Monster of the Week lately, having run both for short periods, and how things happening off-screen works. As far as I can tell the rules always have the narrative with at least one of the players, so if there's some mechanical effect (like the result of a 7-9 or 6- for a move) that they wouldn't be aware of you just don't mention it.

apocalypse world 2e posted:

• Think offscreen too. When it’s time for you to make a move, imagine what your many various NPCs must have been doing meanwhile. Have any of them done something offscreen that now becomes evident? Are any of them doing things offscreen that, while invisible to the players’ characters, deserve your quiet notice?

These would be things where for whatever reason you don't feel like Announce Future Badness or Announce Off-Screen Badness would really apply. Badness that wouldn't really be Announced.

Am I on the right track here? Part of me feels like there should be cutaways for the players that their characters aren't aware of, to give them something about the fact that I just did some move. Or alternatively just quietly chuckle when they fail a roll and your response is to advance a clock.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I've been thinking of apocalyspe world and Monster of the Week lately, having run both for short periods, and how things happening off-screen works. As far as I can tell the rules always have the narrative with at least one of the players, so if there's some mechanical effect (like the result of a 7-9 or 6- for a move) that they wouldn't be aware of you just don't mention it.

These would be things where for whatever reason you don't feel like Announce Future Badness or Announce Off-Screen Badness would really apply. Badness that wouldn't really be Announced.

Am I on the right track here? Part of me feels like there should be cutaways for the players that their characters aren't aware of, to give them something about the fact that I just did some move. Or alternatively just quietly chuckle when they fail a roll and your response is to advance a clock.

Maybe it's just my style/philosophy for MotW, but I always let players know when a clock has been ticked, and almost always say, "And your characters know this as well." Out of game, it prevents surprise at, "We had no way of knowing the gate to the outer realms was going to open so soon!" In-game, I justify it as portents, bad dreams, mystic sendings, bad feelings, etc.

I think the philosophy is transferable to most PbtA games. The characters are supposed to be savvy to the ways of the world, a cut above. They have contacts, perception, whatever. Besides, it's no fun just springing a death ray or the like on them when they could have been facing dilemmas all along related to those fronts. "You could have let the gangers overrun the town if you wanted to stop the mystic!"

But that's just my opinion.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Not exactly. You should think offscreen, but you need to convey the effects of that offscreen action to the players somehow. The key phrase is "...that now becomes evident." About the only time I'll do anything without clueing the player(s) in is when I choose the You miss noticing something important option from a partial on the Harm move, and even then it usually becomes readily apparent in the near term. I almost always use that as a set-up to put someone in a spot.

But there's a difference between active narration and what is happening in the background. There will always be consequences to the PCs action (or inaction), but it's incumbent upon the MC to do so in such a way that those are tied to the narrative. Does that make any sense?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Admiralty Flag posted:

Maybe it's just my style/philosophy for MotW, but I always let players know when a clock has been ticked, and almost always say, "And your characters know this as well." Out of game, it prevents surprise at, "We had no way of knowing the gate to the outer realms was going to open so soon!" In-game, I justify it as portents, bad dreams, mystic sendings, bad feelings, etc.

I think the philosophy is transferable to most PbtA games. The characters are supposed to be savvy to the ways of the world, a cut above. They have contacts, perception, whatever. Besides, it's no fun just springing a death ray or the like on them when they could have been facing dilemmas all along related to those fronts. "You could have let the gangers overrun the town if you wanted to stop the mystic!"

But that's just my opinion.
Yeah that certainly tracks for having things be Announced in a variety of fun ways besides "there's smoke on the horizon" or "someone says you pissed off the werewolf mafia with your antics".

Ilor posted:

Not exactly. You should think offscreen, but you need to convey the effects of that offscreen action to the players somehow. The key phrase is "...that now becomes evident." About the only time I'll do anything without clueing the player(s) in is when I choose the You miss noticing something important option from a partial on the Harm move, and even then it usually becomes readily apparent in the near term. I almost always use that as a set-up to put someone in a spot.

But there's a difference between active narration and what is happening in the background. There will always be consequences to the PCs action (or inaction), but it's incumbent upon the MC to do so in such a way that those are tied to the narrative. Does that make any sense?

Yeah, that makes sense.

I suppose in general if the effect is so completely out of being announce-able it generally wouldn't make a lot of sense to be related to whatever caused you to make an MC Move in the first place.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If someone rolls a six but you don’t know what to do with it, you can have them succeed and then screw them over later. It’s unlikely to run an entire campaign with good, instantaneous consequences, and if the twist is it all fair, you can point back to the six and the players will be with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The classic Austin Walker maneuver of "you succeed and that's bad". Also just show players stuff happening offscreen like they're in the audience and can't control that bit happening so it's fair and they know it but in character they don't.