Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I ended up with a couple days off next week so I am thinking of visiting this city for the first time. I'll most likely be there from Sun-Tues since I have to work Wednesday.

Anything I shouldn't miss? I heard the WW2 museum is great, might check out City Park.
I'm pretty interested in food so if there are any restaurant/food recommendations that would be helpful.
How is the city's public transit?
Any areas to avoid staying in/around? I'll probably use AirBNB to find a place.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
In 2013, I ate at these great places: Luke, Cochon, Coquette and Cafe du Monde. The po boy I had at Johnny's was fine but the best places for a po boy are mostly off the tourist track and that's why I didn't get around to visiting them. My hotel was right around the corner from Bar Tonique, which we visited three times in two days. It is essentially a dive bar that serves awesome cocktails. Most of the classic cocktail bars are worth visiting if you're nearby but be warned that the Sazerac Bar is by far the most expensive place in town to get a sazerac.

A general guideline is that New Orleans gets progressively sketchier the further you get from the river. Public transportation will get you where you want to go if you're fine waiting a very long time for a bus/streetcar to show up. Don't bother with the streetcar unless you really want to ride the streetcar for its own sake. They do look neat, though.

if you like old houses and interesting shops, walk down Magazine Street as far as the weather allows. St. Charles has a lot of gigantic guilded age mansions and Audubon Park is a very nice city park. Of course, I did all of that in February rather than June. It is stickier now.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
If you want proper food...

Mother's (for breakfast get in line very early, but also has great po boys)

Acme Oyster House is good.

Commanders Palace (if you want to splurge - very pricey, but amazing)

Camillia Grill

Rum House on Magazine St.

Cooter Browns in the college district has some outstanding pub grub and a huge beer selection.

If you want great po boys, try Danny and Clyde's.

Really anything on Magazine Street is aces, and don't be afraid to ask locals. Everyone has an opinion there and they're all pretty good.

I could go on all day, but just don't eat on Bourbon Street. Only drinking and people watching is worthwhile there.

And yes, definitely check out the WW2 museum and Audubon Zoo.

E: also I concur that the further you get away from the river, it definitely gets sketchier. There is a reason A&E has two shows that film out in west NOLA (First 48 and Night Watch). So stay within the Superdome and the river and you'll have a great time!

Doronin fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 28, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You need to go hang out at some Jazz bars. Also eat a bunch of Po Boys they're amazing. When I visited, the public transit options were medicore. Busses ran a little off schedule so we eventually just walked everywhere or took a cab.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NOLA in July. You're crazy. I love NOLA but I don't visit during peak summer months. You have to go out of your way to get a bad meal in NOLA, I've been to sketchy c-stores with bars everywhere that have had great food. Others have covered many of the popular spots.

When we visit, we always stop at Cafe Maspero, my wife and her family love the ham there. I can take it or leave it TBH. The last trip we made it out to Mahony's po-boys where I had the Peacemaker. You know you had a good sandwich when you eat a 22 dollar po-boy and go "it was worth it". Not sure though I would tell someone to make the trek to it if they're staying down in the FQ. Plenty of great Po-boy shops closer. We stopped on our way to the Zoo though, so it was kinda on the way. We went early, the place gets crazy busy.

Cafe Du Monde is a must visit. Other than that it just depends on what you're in the mood for. Like I said, it's really really hard to get a bad meal in NOLA.

Have fun and drink lots of water.

DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Bumping this up as we're going to be in New Orleans from August 13th to the 17th. We'd love to check out some shows, not necessarily just jazz but hip-hop/rap or electronic would be awesome too. I'm more looking for venues to check out I guess that people could vouch are nice and hopefully not too touristy. We'll definitely be eating at some of those places above though, I'll try and keep track of where we go and how it was.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Bumping this to deal with a bigger set of questions, having to do with moving and living in New Orleans.

My sister is moving to NOLA later this year, and I've been considering moving there as well because I've been living for 10 years in Montreal and I think it's time for a change. I haven't visited NOLA yet but I hope to soon, and if I do move there, it would be early 2016, maybe summer 2016 at the very latest.

I'm considering a longer-term move and to buy a house and maybe rent out part of it since I'm not married or have kids. What do NOLA goons have to say about making a living and the day-to-day in NOLA?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We went to the WW2 museum in January, and it is is pretty interesting. The funny thing is that you get to the end of the European Theater part and then they go.... "Pacific Theater coming soon!"

Makes sense, kinda, since it used to be the D-Day Museum.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bumping this since I'll be visiting next weekend with a friend. We're staying at a vrbo just off of magazine street, and we already have reservations at La Petite Grocery, Peche, and Sylvain. Any solid places we should check out for brunch/lunch? Favorite places you guys have for checking out live jazz? Any other places we might not normally visit as tourists?

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
Go to https://www.freetoursbyfoot.com We went on several in NOLA and they were all awesome! The culinary history tour will show you some good places to eat. And the ghost tour was so good, as we were walking with our tour guide we passed another group. We could hear our guy was so much better than the monotone girl the other group had.

We went in May and the weather was pretty good. And the Oyster Festival was going on at that time, too.

The WWII museum was good to get your history on, and Cochon Butcher was near there. We got all the appetizers.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Residency Evil posted:

Any solid places we should check out for brunch/lunch? Favorite places you guys have for checking out live jazz?

Boy, have I got the place for you. The Court of Two Sisters has jazz brunch seven days per week.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
For live music, the best area is along Frenchmen Street. It's a (perfectly safe!) 15 minute walk to the east of the French Quarter.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'll be on vacation in New Orleans next week. Anything happening that we should check out?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
How easy is it to rely on taxi service? We'll be there for four days at the end of February (couple weeks after Mardi Gras), staying in the Quarter, and traveling to Fair Grounds for 2 or 3 of those days. Otherwise, we expect to spend most of our time in the Quarter, and occasionally head out to someplace a little more distant, like Frankie & Johnny's or some such.

Parking at the Monteleone is 40 loving dollars a day, so if I can just do taxis the whole time, great. Convenience is a factor, too, so basically I'm just asking if New Orleans is a "taxi city."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lincoln posted:

How easy is it to rely on taxi service? We'll be there for four days at the end of February (couple weeks after Mardi Gras), staying in the Quarter, and traveling to Fair Grounds for 2 or 3 of those days. Otherwise, we expect to spend most of our time in the Quarter, and occasionally head out to someplace a little more distant, like Frankie & Johnny's or some such.

Parking at the Monteleone is 40 loving dollars a day, so if I can just do taxis the whole time, great. Convenience is a factor, too, so basically I'm just asking if New Orleans is a "taxi city."

Just got back from vacation there. We stayed about 30-40 min walk from the French Quarter, and ended up walking almost the entire time. We didn't take taxis, but used Uber multiple times and it was fine. Probably the only issue with Uber is surge pricing, but we managed to avoid it. Fyi, if you haven't used it before, the promo code "feeling22" will get you $22 towards your first ride, so we got one free ride each, one from my phone one from my wife's phone.

Wait time for Ubers (at1pm, 1am and 10pm respectively) was never more than 5 mins.

• Locked thread