Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I suggest Alecto after my dead chicken :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
High Lord/Lady Percival Featherby.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Now these are some name suggestions I can get behind! :v:

The eggs are 8 days into incubation so I candled tonight--we have 7 ohsosquirmy embryos with another 5 eggs that I *think* have embryos but the shells are so dark I can't tell for sure--but I feel strongly that they do. So at least 7 chicks, possibly as many as 12!

Of the eggs that are developing (it's a nice cross-section of our flock), one was laid by Wiggles, our gray mottled Belgian d'Uccle hen and one by Toaster, a bantam Cochin who hatched last year. Wiggles has actually gone broody so she *may* end up being mama to the chicks! We have three broodies right now: Wiggles, Sophie (another bantam) and Yoya, a gray Giant Cochin who was Chickam mom 2 years ago...Yoya is just starting to go broody so we'll see. I'd prefer her for mom because of her size.

The 6 duds that I removed from the incubator I did a breakout on, all were infertile so never would have developed.

Chicks in another week and a half! :neckbeard:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Awesome.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yoya, a gray Giant Cochin who was Chickam mom 2 years ago...Yoya is just starting to go broody so we'll see. I'd prefer her for mom because of her size.

Hooray for giant fluffybutt Yoya!!! :3:

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009
Eeeee! Can I ask for Patengo as a chicken name? It's what my daughter used to call flamingos when she was wee.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Now these are some name suggestions I can get behind! :v:

The eggs are 8 days into incubation so I candled tonight--we have 7 ohsosquirmy embryos with another 5 eggs that I *think* have embryos but the shells are so dark I can't tell for sure--but I feel strongly that they do. So at least 7 chicks, possibly as many as 12!

Of the eggs that are developing (it's a nice cross-section of our flock), one was laid by Wiggles, our gray mottled Belgian d'Uccle hen and one by Toaster, a bantam Cochin who hatched last year. Wiggles has actually gone broody so she *may* end up being mama to the chicks! We have three broodies right now: Wiggles, Sophie (another bantam) and Yoya, a gray Giant Cochin who was Chickam mom 2 years ago...Yoya is just starting to go broody so we'll see. I'd prefer her for mom because of her size.

The 6 duds that I removed from the incubator I did a breakout on, all were infertile so never would have developed.

:neckbeard: If Yoya goes broody, would the plan be to move her indoors soon? How do you move a huge broody hen?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

:neckbeard: If Yoya goes broody, would the plan be to move her indoors soon? How do you move a huge broody hen?

5 ton engine hoist with 3/8 inch diameter Grade 80 chain.

Seriously, we'd move her into the brooder box after dark the night before hatch and put about half of the eggs under her to keep her in place--by then the chicks would have pipped into the air cell of the egg and she'd be able to hear the chicks peeping in the egg and feel the eggs moving, and realize she had chicks incoming. We'd have to move her in the dark so she wouldn't leave the nest and would be calm...Yo has done this before so I think she'd handle it OK. The next day while hatch was ongoing we'd put the cam on her or the eggs in the incubator, whichever gave the best view at the moment.

LevelC
Feb 20, 2011
Von Hähnchen for the name hat!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Fiver in the hat please!

Can't wait VS!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Have you ever had a Bock Choy?

or Bok Choy, I don't know how chicken sound onomatopoeias are spelled.

vv: Bawk Choy it is.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 24, 2016

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Bawk Choy.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

BAAAAAAWWWWKKKKKK...

...choy

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lord/Lady Rooplex the Belligerant

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Trying for "B.A. Baracus" again!

Phaena fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 25, 2016

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Welp, with 6 days to go until the hatch, Yoya the Giant Cochin has gone full-on broody so it looks like she'll be Chickam mama again this year! The only other broods we have are all banties--Sophie, Wiggles, Blossom and Skillet. If we wanted to use them for mama we'd have to tie 2 or 3 of them together to equal ONE Yoya.

We'll move Yoya into the brooder box Thursday night after it gets dark and slip 6 of the eggs under her so she can hatch them, if all goes according to previous hatches I'm hoping the bantam eggs hatch Friday, the rest Saturday!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Welp, with 6 days to go until the hatch, Yoya the Giant Cochin has gone full-on broody so it looks like she'll be Chickam mama again this year! The only other broods we have are all banties--Sophie, Wiggles, Blossom and Skillet. If we wanted to use them for mama we'd have to tie 2 or 3 of them together to equal ONE Yoya.

We'll move Yoya into the brooder box Thursday night after it gets dark and slip 6 of the eggs under her so she can hatch them, if all goes according to previous hatches I'm hoping the bantam eggs hatch Friday, the rest Saturday!

HOORAY! My niece and I went to a baby farm animal thing yesterday. Should have brought a camera. She got to hold a week old frizzle! Way to go Yoya, you hatch them babies for us! See ya this weekend!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What does a chicken actually do when they go broody?

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yay!!! Go Yoya! Use your big, warm fluffness to be a good mama once again~!

(Haha, 3-headed giant banty!)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I dunno, the idea of tying 3 of the banties together to make a MegaBroody like some sort of Chicken Power Ranger is intriguing.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Ohfuckohfuckohfuck...I just walked in after a three day road trip.

And one of the banty eggs has pipped. Three days early.

At the wrong end of the egg.

Yay for dunderhead banties. It's OK for now, peeping away, but I strongly suspect I'll have to assist this one. Meanwhile, I have to go build the brooder box and hope this damned chicken waits until darkness falls and I can get Yoya in the house and settled.
:derp:

A broody hen Cerberus DOES sound intriguing. And scary as Hell.

EDIT:

Pictures! The group shot is a bit out of focus, sorry.

Nervy little pipping bastard #16 at the WRONG END OF THE EGG. No doubt I'll be up till 4AM midwifing the little stinker.

This is one of Toaster's eggs. Derpy bantam Cochins can't do anything right.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 27, 2016

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What does a chicken actually do when they go broody?

TRY TO KILL YOU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=754poBjxjak

Appropriate music and precautions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zte0Qu3c-xw

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LOL! My favorite part is when the hen managed to snag one egg and drag it back under her. What a vicious little broody!

The person in the second video is at least wearing gloves. Love the cute purrs of furious, wannabe Mama hen.

The sounds this angry, little bantam makes in this clip are so adorable! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjQjCo3jmpo

Edit: Dammit, VS! Now I'm watching videos of broodies on Youtube! This video is cute -- the hen KNOWS the difference between fake eggs and real eggs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EKr_quSB_M

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 28, 2016

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

HA!

I beat the chick, the brooder box is done! It isn't the prettiest box I've ever made but it'll do. #16 has expanded her pip hole a bit but isn't unzipping. Several other eggs are rocking and peeping, so THEY are on schedule. #16 may or may not make it, pipping this early. Damned chicken isn't done cooking!

If more eggs start to pip before tomorrow night, we'll move Yoya in and be ready to start the cam, but right now we're just waiting!

EDIT: Another one! #15, a blue-green bantam egg, has pipped. Holding off on the cam for now since neither one is progressed to unzipping yet.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 28, 2016

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Throwing Kotori into the name hat!

Dummy #16 is still going at it pretty well, for being turned around and all.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK, the hatch has started and so has the Chickam GBS thread, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773921&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post459277559

Any future name suggestions, please post themin the GBS thread, thanks! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, the 100+ degree heat has finally broken, it's a beautiful day in the chicken neighborhood! The cam is up and running, soon watermelon will be passed out!

We've changed the location of the camera a bit, the chickens love to hang out under the Curly Willow tree most of the time so that's where the cam is aimed. Of course, now that we *did* that they'll move...also, Pidge is cooing if you wonder what the weird noise is.

Anyway, for now, thar be chickins here! :woop:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So good to see, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
It was definitely nice to see them again! Sadly, I'm having a hard time recognizing everyone.
Hoping all is well on the chickam front!

• Locked thread