Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXKtfKnfT8

~!Flavor and setup stolen from the legendary Tom Tucker!~

The Sioux called him Blood Rider. In Apache he was known simply as Wolf. The Pinkertons had his description and a reward for his capture, but little else. Looking at his face beneath the harsh letters WANTED a traveler would be hard pressed to match the crude drawing to the sun-wrinkled face that now stared across the Green River Valley. If any unfortunate traveler happened to look into his cold black eyes, though, the words at the bottom of the poster may rightly flicker through their minds, DEAD OR ALIVE.

He stopped near the edge of town to bury his satchel. It was nearly full, and it had a pleasing weight to it. He had long gotten used to the smell. He took his cavalry rifle and thrust it into the ground to mark the spot. As he turned his hat against the sun there was nothing now to identify him. He was a ghost. He ran his thumb across the blade on his belt, feeling it slice a fresh mark against the scarred flesh. Sharp, it would have to be sharp.

The town was a relic of a prosperous time, when pioneers forged west along the Oregon Trail. The wagons were less frequent now, and the river dammed by cattle drivers, and the town was a dusty shell of its former self. He watched as the Shoshone war band rode confidently into town. They were growing bolder, raiding ever farther to take back what manifest destiny had claimed. The bodies they had left behind in the ranch outside of town had been burned. Worthless.

The man did not know any of his names, Blood Rider, Wolf, Sergeant, if he had ever heard them before he had forgotten them long ago. The Shoshone slipped silently into town. Before the new moon they would have a name for him too.

Real time nightless setup:

This games uses a nightless setup. The thread will not close, and actions are resolved in real time using the cooldown system implemented in welcome to purgatory. Once an action is used it cannot be used again until a certain amount of time has passed (typically 72 hours).

Note that, because weekends are generally less busy, Saturday and Sunday are counted as 24 hours for the purpose of cooldowns. The easiest way to remember this is to think of Saturday as being a ‘free’ day where no cooldown time passes.

quote:

For example, the town lynches a player at 8 PM Friday. The next time they can lynch a player is 72 hours later. Because this includes a weekend, the next time they can lynch someone is 8 PM Tuesday. The town then lynches someone at 8 PM Tuesday, their lynch cooldown is then up at 8 PM Friday.

For my sanity, unlike the original game, actions are resolved on the hour instead of immediately. Actions PMed to me between 8:00 and 8:59 will be resolved at 9 PM. Actions PMed to me between 9:00 and 9:59 will be resolved at 10:00 PM.

quote:

For example: bowmore sends in a cop action at 7:45 PM Monday to investigate a player. That action will take place at 8 PM. His cooldown is 72 hours, so the earliest he can investigate another player is 8 PM on Thursday. bowmore can submit an early action to ensure it is done immediately, and can change it at any time before 8:00 PM on Thursday.

If you cannot perform an action when your cooldown is up you may immediately perform it once your action is available again. The cooldown ability starts when you perform an action, not from when it was last up.

quote:

For example: bowmore the cop’s investigation cooldown is up at 8 PM Monday. He is informed at 1 PM Monday that he has been roleblocked for 72 hours. This means the earliest he can perform his action is 1 PM Thursday. If he uses his action then, his next action will be available at 1 PM Monday.

It may be advantageous to purposefully delay your actions, perhaps waiting for a lynch to resolve before choosing an investigation, or waiting for a doctor protection to wear off before trying to kill someone.

Skill points:

When you receive your role you will receive a certain number of skill points that you may then assign to skills of your choice. The average number of skill points to place is 10, which would allow you to take 2 in each category. A skill of 0 or 1 in a category will give you a disadvantage, while a skill of 3 or 4 will give you an advantage.

Being wounded or player actions may affect your skills. Your skill can never go above 4 or below 0. Your reputation skill cannot be changed.

You may not take a 4 in any skill category unless your role tells you specifically that you may. Abilities and items may still increase your skill to a 4.

Luck:

0) Coin flips always go against you.
1) If a coin flip goes in your favor, it is flipped again (coin flips go in your favor 25% of the time).
2) Coin flips act normally.
3) If a coin flip goes against you, it is flipped again (coin flips go in your favor 75% of the time).
4) Coin flips always go in your favor.

Gunslinging:

0) May not shoot during shootouts. You are treated as in half cover during shootouts even though you are hiding.
1) Shots you make during shootouts have an immediate 50% chance to fail, regardless of other factors. This effect cannot be changed by luck.
2) Shootouts behave normally.
3) When you shoot at someone behind half cover during a shootout treat them as if they are in the open. When you shoot at someone behind full cover during a shootout treat them as if they are in half cover.
4) You receive the bonus for 3 gunslinging and if a shot you make during a shootout wounds a player that player is killed instead. When you shoot at someone who is hiding during a shootout treat them as behind full cover.

Integrity:

0) May be bribed for $10.
1) May be bribed for $25.
2) May be bribed for $100.
3) All bribes against you fail.
4) All bribes against you fail and the names and amounts of anyone attempting to bribe you are posted in thread.

Horsemanship:

0) If you are wounded you are killed instead. Posses you are involved are sabotaged.
1) Posses you are involved in are sabotaged.
2) Posses behave normally.
3) You may choose to ‘enhance’ any posse you are involved in. This cancels out either one member’s Horsemanship of 0 or 1 or one attempt to sabotage the posse.
4) You receive the bonus for 3 Horsemanship and the first time you are killed (except during a lynch) you are wounded instead.

0) Start with $10. When you die all money you possess is lost.
1) Start with $25. When you die all money you possess is lost.
2) Start with $50. When you die you may send half your money to a player of your choice.
3) Start with $100. When you die you may send your money to a player of your choice. You have a one shot double vote that may be posted in thread using ##doublevote xxxxx.
4) Start with $300. When you die you may send your money to any number of players you choose. You have a one shot double vote that may be posted in thread using ##doublevote xxxxx.

Wounded:

It is possible to become wounded during the game. When you are wounded your skills will be reduced, the effects of which may depend upon the method of wounding or may be random. For instance, being shot in a shootout may reduce your horsemanship by 1, resulting in an inability to keep up during posses. It is possible to be treated and no longer be wounded.

Your reputation and integrity cannot be reduced by becoming wounded, but luck, gunslinging, and horsemanship can.

If you are wounded again while already wounded you are killed.

Bribery:

You may at any time attempt to bribe another player by PMing me. You must select a target, and an amount of money you wish to attempt the bribe with ($10, $25, or $100), and what the effect of your bribe will be. You can choose to buy that players vote, in which case he must, with his next post, vote for the player of your choice. You may also choose to roleblock the bribed player, in which case the player cannot use any actions for the next 72 hours.

The success of a bribe is based on the amount offered and the integrity of the target. Players with integrity of 0 will be successfully bribed for $10, $25, or $100 dollars, players with integrity of 1 will be successfully bribed for $25 or $100 dollars, players with integrity 2 will be successfully bribed for $100, and players with integrity 3 or 4 cannot be bribed.

If the bribe is successful the player will be informed of the effects but does not receive the bribe money.

Bribes are anonymous, unless the person being bribed has a reputation of 4 or more, in which case the action will be posted in thread.

If your bribe fails you will not be told why. If a bribe against you fails you will simply be told that you have resisted an attempt to bribe you.

If your vote is stolen through a bribe you must immediately vote for the player chosen. You may choose to try to pass this vote off as a regular vote, or inform the town that your vote has been bought. Note: players may lie about being bribed to get away with voting.

Bribes cannot prevent a player from taking part in a shootout.

Sheriff:

The Sheriff is a publicly known office that is assigned to a player randomly at the beginning of the game. This player may be scum or town or third party. The Sheriff may at any time appoint a deputy by PMing me. He may choose to make this choice public in game. The choice of Deputy is permanent unless the deputy dies, in which case the Sheriff may immediately appoint a new one. Should the current Sheriff die the deputy becomes Sheriff and may immediately appoint a new Deputy. The Sheriff and his Deputy may communicate out of thread, but do not know anything about the other’s alignment.

The Sheriff has an action on a 72 hour cooldown in which he organizes a posse. He may invite any number of players to hunt down a target. The success rate depends on the number of people helping in the posse. Players attempting to sabotage the posse do not count towards this total:

pre:
1)	The posse fails (0% chance).
2)	Flip two coins, if both come up heads, the target is killed (25% chance).
3)	Flip a coin, if it comes up heads, the target is killed (50% chance).
4)	Flip two coins, if one comes up heads, the target is killed (75% chance).
5)	The target is killed (100% chance). 
The Sheriff’s luck is used when calculating posse coin flips.

A player invited to a posse is told the target, though not the other members of the posse. He can then choose to decline the invitation, participate in the posse and try to help, or participate in the posse and attempt to sabotage it. If even one player sabotages a posse, the posse fails. Each person helping the posse with Horsemanship 3 or greater may cancel out one player sabotaging it, but the sabotaging player is still not counted towards the number of players for calculating success.

quote:

For example: Sheriff Ann recruits Bob, Charlie, Dylan, and Eve, for a posse. Dylan only has horsemanship 1, so he automatically sabotages the posse. Eve chooses to sabotage the posse intentionally. Bob and Charlie each have horsemanship 3, and choose to enhance the posse, cancelling out Dylan and Eve’s sabotage. The total number of players helping the posse is 3, and since Ann has luck of 2, there is a 50% chance the posse will be successful.

If the posse fails for any reason (sabotage, low horsemanship, a failed coin flip, etc) the participants will not be told why.

Shootouts:

A shootout may take place throughout the game. There is at least 1 planned shootout at a pre-specified time, and there may or may not be other shootouts at pre-specified times or due to player actions.

Once a shootout begins the vote count is frozen and shootout rules are in effect. No actions may take place, no votes may be placed, and no cooldowns are processed during the shootout. Shootouts last for 24 hours.

quote:

For example: The town lynches a player on Monday at 8 PM. Tom Tucker is a cop, and investigates a player at 9 PM. The next lynch can happen, at the earliest, at 8 PM Thursday, and Tom Tucker can next make an investigation at 9 PM Thursday. A shootout then occurs at 1 PM Tuesday. Until 1 PM Wednesday no votes or actions can take place, then the shootout resolves, and normal gameplay resumes. All cooldowns are pushed back 24 hours due to the shootout, so the next lynch can now take place at 8 PM Friday at the earliest, and Tom Tucker can perform his investigation at 9 PM at the earliest.

During a shootout all players must PM me to describe their shootout actions. Players can either hide, or attempt to shoot someone. Players hiding cannot shoot at anyone, but are generally protected from harm.

When attempting to shoot someone a player must choose to either stand in the open, fire from half cover, or fire from full cover. Shooting in the open makes it easier to hit someone, but presents an easier target. Shooting from half or full cover makes it more difficult to hit someone, but makes it harder for you to be hit yourself.

The chance to hit someone works as follows:

You are standing in the open:
-If you shoot at someone also in the open flip two coins, if either comes up heads you hit that player (75% chance).
-If you shoot at someone in half cover flip a coin, if it comes up heads you hit that player (50% chance).
-If you shoot at someone in full cover flip two coins, if both come up heads you hit that player (25% chance).

You are standing in half cover:
-If you shoot at someone in the open flip a coin, if heads, you hit that player (50% chance).
-If you shoot at someone also in half cover flip two coins, if both come up heads you hit that player (25% chance).
-If you shoot at someone in full cover you automatically miss that player (0% chance).

You are standing in full cover:
-If you shoot at someone in the open flip two coins, if both come up heads you hit that player (25% chance).
-If you shoot at someone in half or full cover you automatically miss that player (0% chance).

After a shootout the names of all players who were standing in the open will be posted in thread.

Each player who is hit during a shootout flips a coin. If it is head, that player is wounded. If it is tails, that player is killed.

Guns

When you assign your skill points you must also choose which gun to use

Smith and Wesson Model No. 3:The gun of Buffalo Bill Cody and rumored to be in Wyatt Earp’s hands during the shootout of the OK corral, a quick drawing and powerful handgun. Provides no extra benefits and no drawbacks.

Sharp’s Pepperbox: A small compact pistol in the same vein as a shotgun, the pepper box was favored primarily for its ability to be easily concealed, a favorite of gamblers, outlaws, and women in less savory professions. If you are hiding during a shootout and someone shoots at you flip a coin, if it goes in your favor wound the shooter and his shot automatically fails. All shots taken during a shootout have an automatic 50% chance to fail. This cannot be changed by luck.

Colt Peacemaker: The prototypical ‘revolver’ of the old west allowed combined fast firing with speedy reloads. In a skilled hand one of the deadliest guns in the west. When in the open, add 1 to your luck. When in half cover, subtract 1 from your luck. This does not affect your flip to see if you are wounded or killed.

Winchester Rifle: “The gun that won the West.” An accurate rifle that gained popularity with hunters, lawmen, and outlaws alike during its heyday after the civil war. Its lever action made it as deadly as it was ubiquitous. When resolving your shots, add one to your luck. When resolving shots fired at you, add one to your opponent’s luck and subtract 1 from yours. This does affect your flip to see if you are wounded or killed.

Shotgun: Shotguns were popular during the 19th century, their use as carriage protection led to the phrase ‘riding shotgun’. Various shotguns saw use by law enforcement and cavalry in the west, less so yet not unheard of by outlaws. Doc Holiday’s only (confirmed) kill was when he was wielding a shotgun, and it formed the backbone of the historic defense of the Alamo. If you wound a player during a shootout they lose 2 skills points rather than just 1. If you are wounded during a shootout you lose 2 skill points rather than just 1.

Signups

If you have reserved a spot in this game please post here re-affirming your desire to play, otherwise post here requesting a spot! I will finalize the player list and send out roles tomorrow, at which point players will introduce themselves to their scumbuddies, assign skill points, choose a gun, and ask me any questions they like, and the game will begin soon after!

Until then feel free to ask for clarification on the numerous mechanics the game will use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Signups

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I call the giant robot spider piloted by Chris Klein

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
in before reading op!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Holy poo poo this sounds complicated but awesome, I'm in!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

in.

i haven't even read the op

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
in

looks pcool

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Holy gently caress this sounds insane. I'm wiki wiki wild wild in.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i am at karaoke

e: which is my way of saying ican't play this one, work will be too busy this week :(

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 6, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What the gently caress?

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
Cowboy up!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Try advertising in the mafia new game thread, I think a lot would be interested in this setup.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will do that when I get home, feel
free to pm people and ask them to join.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

bowmore posted:

I will do that when I get home, feel
free to pm people and ask them to join.

... someone doesn't remember the last time someone asked me to do that...

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh man a Krell shootout would be awesome

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kreller

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think I'm starting to get my head around this... Okay, looking at that horsemanship skill there, at the top and bottom of the scale it mentions making you killed rather than wounded, or vice versa. Did this just apply in general? To like any time at all you get wounded or killed? Or does this only apply to posse stuff?

Next question, what happens if the sheriff is killed when they haven't picked a deputy? Just pack up shop, no more posses for anybody?

And last question - it sounds like lynch mechanics will be similar to what we know from Mafia, it's just the scheduling that's a bit different. But it's nightless, so I gather the scum will need to rely on the posse and shootout mechanics to get their kills instead?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think bowmore is trying a viral marketing campaign.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm all about slow organic marketing

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I might scrap this due to low demand and relaunch the same setup with a Harry Potter skin. Would you Auspolers mix with the normals as long as it's on Aussie time?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yeah and I understand Harry Potter better than Wild Wild West

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yes to mafia

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
poast in the new game thread bromore

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Birdstrike posted:

poast in the new game thread bromore
I will, after I re-launch

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

bowmore posted:

I might scrap this due to low demand and relaunch the same setup with a Harry Potter skin. Would you Auspolers mix with the normals as long as it's on Aussie time?

Aww just when I found time to read all through the OP! But Harry Potter's cool too, don't really care what the flavor is so long as we get to try a cool new setup with the cooldowns and poo poo.

This kind of nightless game sounds great for mixing it up with the outsiders, too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bifauxnen posted:

Aww just when I found time to read all through the OP! But Harry Potter's cool too, don't really care what the flavor is so long as we get to try a cool new setup with the cooldowns and poo poo.

This kind of nightless game sounds great for mixing it up with the outsiders, too.
Yeah it will be the same setup just flavour reskin so I'm not stealing totally, wands replace gun, brooms replace horses etc

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

sorting hat replaces mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Matthew Beet posted:

sorting hat replaces mod
actually

heh